Re: The old "next week" thread.

downinfront wrote:

It's a good one. We also recorded Constantine this weekend, also from this thread.

Actually, that would be from this thread.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Aims forced me to watch Constantine last night. I kinda loved it. Now I need to strap her down and get her to watch Sunshine before Monday.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

Now I need to strap her down

Hey hey hey. Let's keep it clean in here.

and get her to watch Sunshine before Monday.

Oh. Yeah, that too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gregory Harbin wrote:

Aims forced me to watch Constantine last night. I kinda loved it.

That right there?  Exactly the sort of thing I was hoping would happen when we covered Constantine.   Lots more people should kinda love that movie.

And we haven't even released the commentary yet... awesome!

Trey wrote:
Gregory Harbin wrote:

Aims forced me to watch Constantine last night. I kinda loved it.

That right there?  Exactly the sort of thing I was hoping would happen when we covered Constantine.   Lots more people should kinda love that movie.

And we haven't even released the commentary yet... awesome!

It is one of those films where those familiar with the comic went, "they cast WHO as the British Constantine?" and just ignored the sucker. It'll be interesting to see if it holds up if you ignore the source material.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

It is one of those films where those familiar with the comic went, "they cast WHO as the British Constantine?" and just ignored the sucker. It'll be interesting to see if it holds up if you ignore the source material.

The blond British Constantine, from what I understand.   In the special features they mention that they discussed dyeing Keanu's hair, and show a wardrobe test of Keanu in the comic-established brown coat, etc.  But in the end they decided to leave his hair alone and make his coat non-canon black, because it just looked better on screen that way.   

Which in the end, was the right choice - Constantine's hair and accent and jacket color don't make one damn difference to the story, it would have been silly to slavishly stick to trivial details just because that's how it was in the comic.   Instead they just made the movie the best way they knew how.  For me, it worked.

Sunshine! Wooo!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think "this was not the movie I expected or wanted" can be a legitimate criticism. Everybody has his or her own reasons for liking or disliking things, and that one's as good as any.

"They changed it now it sucks," on the other hand, is not a legitimate criticism. There's gotta be a "because" in there someplace.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffery: To whom are you referring and to what exactly are you replying? I haven't heard anyone complaining in at three pages.

On the other hand, freaking love the hell out of Sunshine, and I haven't seen Constantine lately enough to call it. And I had no freakin clue it was based off a comic...

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Trey wrote:
Invid wrote:

The blond British Constantine, from what I understand.   In the special features they mention that they discussed dyeing Keanu's hair, and show a wardrobe test of Keanu in the comic-established brown coat, etc.  But in the end they decided to leave his hair alone and make his coat non-canon black, because it just looked better on screen that way.   

Which in the end, was the right choice - Constantine's hair and accent and jacket color don't make one damn difference to the story, it would have been silly to slavishly stick to trivial details just because that's how it was in the comic.   Instead they just made the movie the best way they knew how.  For me, it worked.

And that's fine, although there is the question of how much you can change a character before it's no longer that character. Lots of great movies totally ignore the source material, though.

We probably should hold off on more comments until they release it...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

maul2 wrote:

Jeffery: To whom are you referring and to what exactly are you replying? I haven't heard anyone complaining in at three pages.

I was talking about the whole "they didn't hire a British actor" thing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, imagine the outcry if they made a movie about an American superhero like Batman and the entire cast was British except for Katie Holmes and Morgan Freeman!   Oh, wait...

Fine, to be completely accurate the cast of Batman Begins is mostly from the UK... "British" excludes Cillian Murphy and Liam Neeson.   But anyway.

It's a tricky thing, adapting a work from another medium into a movie - it's entirely possible to keep all the wrong parts and lose the important ones, we can all cite examples of that.   

But I can't see how being blond and British would have made any significant difference to the Constantine character.   Maybe it mattered in some way in the comic, but it didn't matter at all to the story the movie was telling.   

Besides, it was Keanu's signing on to the movie that got it greenlit, it wouldn't have existed without him.   Watching Keanu walk around with bleached hair would have been a major distraction, and his attempt at a British accent in Coppola's Dracula is still being talked about so it was a good call that he didn't try that again.

I've seen Coppola's Dracula twice and neither time did it impress a single memory into my mind. Like, I know for a fact I sat down and watched the film all the way through on two separate occasions and I can't for the life of me recall anything about it.

I don't think I'm suppressing it, I think it's just so dull that my brain did the same thing it does when I'm driving to and from work and just shut down the recording function.

But I can't say for sure because, well, you know.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

But I can't see how being blond and British would have made any significant difference to the Constantine character.   Maybe it mattered in some way in the comic, but it didn't matter at all to the story the movie was telling.

Naturally it didn't matter to that, as it was telling the story of this new character smile My sister has commented that there are lots of adaptations of Agatha Christie Miss Marple stories but very few actually have Miss Marple in them. The rest just have characters with that name.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

My sister has commented that there are lots of adaptations of Agatha Christie Miss Marple stories but very few actually have Miss Marple in them. The rest just have characters with that name.

Yeah, books are especially prone to that problem. Whether or not an actor will match any given reader's mental picture of a character is a roll of the dice.     

Back in the day there was grumbling about Sean Connery being a terrible choice to play James Bond.  Fortunately for the filmmakers there was no internet for those people to grumble on yet.  Ian Fleming himself thought David Niven was the man for the job - just imagine if he could have blogged about how MGM was ruining his books...

Well, to be fair, they ruined it eventually.

It's always only a matter of time.

Everything gets ruined eventually.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks, Entropy!

*thumbs up!*

DorkmanScott wrote:

I've seen Coppola's Dracula twice and neither time did it impress a single memory into my mind.

Winona Ryder running thru the garden, braless in a nightgown. On a related note: u r so gay lolz

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I had the chance to see Constantine in a sneak peek before release and passed. Keanu in yet another satan-nearly-produces-the-antichrist movie around the same time as Schwarzenegger's End of Days? Ugh. Didn't Michael Biehn sort that all out in The Seventh Sign ten years earlier?

But I saw it several months ago and thought it was pretty good—despite the fact that it features both Keanu and Shia, which is like having two puppies in a movie that isn't about puppies.

Zarban wrote:

I had the chance to see Constantine in a sneak peek before release and passed. Keanu in yet another satan-nearly-produces-the-antichrist movie around the same time as Schwarzenegger's End of Days? Ugh.

I wouldn't really say six years later is 'around the same time'. Wasn't even the same decade big_smile

I like Constantine despite, as Zarban says, having both Shia (in annoying sidekick mode) and Keanu (in Keanu mode) in it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What's wrong with Shia? The scene I loaded up to test if my video worked was a Shia scene, and that's what got me excited about watching the movie.

Constantine has a few scenes that are exemplary of Boufing.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shifty Bench wrote:

I wouldn't really say six years later is 'around the same time'. Wasn't even the same decade big_smile

Oh yeah. What am I thinking of, then? The new Exorcist or Amityville movies maybe. The new Omen was a little later.

Alright so I just finished rewatching Constantine, and man did I not watch that the first time. Maybe it was the fact that I was like 13 at the time, whatever.

But I really really liked it. Honestly it's like you guys are always saying, Keanu can do Keanu and I really like Keanu in this role, same goes for Shia actually. I thought it worked perfectly.

And of course Tilda Swinton was gorgeously sexy as ever.

Also does anyone know any other movies/books/comics whatever, along this same vein (God, demons, angels etc.) Cause I really love the shit out of this kinda stuff and I only had Supernatural before this, and I really want to find more like it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I like Shia in Constantine just fine.  In fact I like Shia in most of the movies he's done, even if I didn't like the actual movies.

Speaking of which, Shia's in the news today for admitting Indy 4 wasn't very good.   Whether you like the guy or not,  ya gotta give him points for that.

If he'd gone on to say "And those Transformer things are just car commercials for morons - you knew that, right?"  then he would have been my hero for life.