Topic: Create This Week! (First Post Updated)

Creatus Thisio Weekus!

As suggested by BigDamnArtist, this weeks theme is Harry Potter!

Same old shtick. Create something which is influenced by the Harry Potter series, it can be anything you like! It doesn't have to be a masterpiece, it's all about having a bit of fun. The deadline for this is when BDA shows us his masterpiece, get cracking!

Original Post
So I've been in a bit of a creative lull as of late and getting a mundane, full-time job hasn't helped with that. However, last night I was messing around with Musical Typing on GarageBand and thought I'd learn a song. So I asked Teague for some suggestions and he gave me the chords to Creep. So, I learned the chords and got the song down pretty quick - leading to me playing it all night. I really enjoyed doing something like this for a couple of hours, so I thought I'd make a thing out of it and get all you guys involved as there are a lot of creative types here.

I was thinking of setting a little task every couple of days that everybody could do, for instance - make a self portrait, learn a song, write a 2 page script about a bank robbery that involves the KKK and aliens. Essentially something that could be done in a few hours during the evening which would then be uploaded here. People could make suggestions for the task and we'll have a vote for the winner.

So, does this sound like anything people would be interested in doing?

As a bonus, I decided to record me playing Creep. There are mistakes in there and my vocals aren't exactly what you'd call great - but it's all in the name of fun! Also, apologies about some of the weird faces I pull - I've lost my glasses and I had to keep looking at the lyrics.

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2012-09-11 17:38:05)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Create This Week! (First Post Updated)

Sounds cool. I think motivation can be the biggest problem for a lot of creative types (myself included) and having a constant list of low-stakes creative challenges could get the juices flowing.

Not that I'm necessarily going to go first, but what's the first task?

EDIT: Nice cover, btw! Musical typing is really weird so if you were playing that live with no experience that's pretty impressive.

Last edited by dodgson (2012-07-27 18:57:59)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As I said, I think it'd be best if everybody makes some suggestions and we take a vote on it. But if nobody comes up with any, I'll make a list of sorts. I also like the idea that this might introduce people into something which they've never tried before and could possibly be quite good at.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the everyone do the same thing type thing, I think it could fun if it's more of like a little round table thing of people throwing ideas at each other. And if someone likes an idea they'll do it, and if they don't then they won't. Also people could challenge someone to something specific. (Probably would be wise to have some sort of opt in option for that though)

So yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the competition style. But that's just me.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

That could also work, there's nothing stopping us from doing a mix of both.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the everyone do the same thing type thing, I think it could fun if it's more of like a little round table thing of people throwing ideas at each other. And if someone likes an idea they'll do it, and if they don't then they won't. Also people could challenge someone to something specific. (Probably would be wise to have some sort of opt in option for that though)

So yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the competition style. But that's just me.

Agreed. I misread the post initially, not as a competition but like a list of suggestions. If somebody wants to do one they'd just call it - sort of like we did with DiF episodes on Project Halp.

I figure there wouldn't be anything outright preventing someone else from doing the same thing, but it'd be generally discouraged on account of redundancy unless two people were really interested in one topic.

A competition style has its merits, but it could be limiting. In the case of something like doing a cover of "Creep" how different could all the versions really be?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I didn't really mean for it to be competitve, I just thought having one task would be more 'motivational' so to speak as it would be a bit more focused. If it was simply a list of suggestions, it's be easier for people to procrastinate - I like the idea of people checking every week to see what the task is. I'm open to anything though, I guess we can try a few different things - after all, it's all about having fun really. Maybe instead of just one task, there's a choice of say three different ones?

Perhaps the first task could be to pitch how the hell we should do this thing? tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen Ward wrote:

...write a 2 page script about a bank robbery that involves the KKK and aliens

Two-page script for Night of the Heist Riders coming right up!

Last edited by Zarban (2012-07-28 17:27:36)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I used to do a show called Memestream on another site that was something like this.

It was really fun while it lasted, after about three months it fizzled, but I loved doing it. Lots of arts and crafts ensued.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Damn, I thought I was being original!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, let's fuckin' do it, then, shall we?

Call 'em "Create This Week:" 's, and give everyone a prompt, and we'll all throw something together. Shitty, awesome, whatever. Just somethin.' How many times a week do you have nothing to do for a minute and could stand to doodle something or take a picture? Nobody's on the hook for a masterpiece, it just keeps the blood flowin.'

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Seeing as how the Olympics opening ceremony is happening right now, how about we go for an Olympics theme?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like this.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Two-page script for Night of the Heist Riders coming right up!

Please do this!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like this idea a lot, since we'd all be working with different materials/limitations. I'll participate for sure.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Weekly Creations™? I'm game.

But I also like the idea of song covering. We could have a weekly song, and let people that want to cover it cover it. Of course they could wind up collaborating, if they want to.
Then there should also obviously be the other choices, like short films, drawing pictures etc. Don't make it a compo, make it fun smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, I present Night of the Heist Riders....

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I fucking love you Zarban.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like where this is going.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay then, let's get this going shall we? I've had a bit of a busy week, so I've not had much time to even think about what we're doing. Let's just see how this goes and we can change it up if needs be.

The Very First 'Create This Week'!

Right guys, so the Olympics is happening at the minute and everybody seems to be talking about it - so let's use the games as an excuse to get creative! You have a week (so, until the 9th of August) to create something that is inspired in some way by the Olympics. Now, that doesn't mean that whatever you create has to be directly related to the Olympics, they can just simply be the initial spark. Remember, what you create doesn't have to be perfect - as Teague said, 'Nobody's on the hook for a masterpiece, it just keeps the blood flowin.'

You've got a week, looking forward to seeing what everybody produces! Any questions, feel free to ask and let us know if you have any suggestions.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've started trying to draw on the iPad. Rough sketch.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/FixedR6/olympics_01.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's on an iPad? Nice! What app are you using?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would partake, but I'm stoked for ideas related to the Olympics.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It doesn't have to be directly related, more just like that's what sparks the initial idea. For instance, the Olympics may make you think of general competition and you could write a short story about a guy striving to be the best Connect 4 player in the world.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Since noone is posting here's a sketch to get things moving. I've added the olympic theme to keep things on topic smile

http://lamer.3design.net.pl/nathan.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down