Re: Doctor Who is awesome, yeah?

Favorite story for me is either the whole storyline involving the Silence, or the two-parter Silence in the Library.

Favorite regeneration is between 10 and 11, because it makes me cry like a little girl who stubbed her toe.

As for rubbish, I'm not totally up on what other Doctor Who fans think about what, but it's my understanding that few people like Martha, and she might be my favorite companion.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Favorite story? Gonna depend on mood. The whole e-space trilogy is great. Toss in Earthshock, The Daleks, Genesis of the Daleks, and the above mentioned Silence in the Library.

Favorite Doctor? #6, Colin Baker, which might also answer your third question.

I will go out on a limb and say I liked Adric, the "Weasley Crusher" of Doctor Who.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love that video, hope I get the chance to go to one of the Doctor Who proms someday.

1. Hartnell - An Unearthly Child, The Daleks

Troughton - The Tomb of the Cybermen

Pertwee - Spearhead from Space

T. Baker - The Ark in Space, Genesis of the Daleks, Terror of the Zygons, Pyramids of Mars, The Hand of Fear, The Talons of Weng-Chiang, The Horror of Fang Rock, The Ribos Operation, City of Death

Davison - Earthshock, Terminus, Enlightenment, Resurrection of the Daleks, Caves of Androzani.

C. Baker - Attack of the Cybermen, Vengeance on Varos & Trial of a Time Lord

McCoy - Paradise Towers, The Curse of Fenric, Survival

McGann - TV Movie and The Horror of Glam Rock (one of the few audio dramas I have heard)

Eccleston - Dalek, Father's Day, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways

Tennant - The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit, Human Nature/The Family of Blood, Blink, Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords, The Fires of Pompeii, Turn Left, The Stolen Earth/Journey's End, Waters of Mars

Smith - The Eleventh Hour, The Time of Angels/Flesh And Stone, Vincent and The Doctor, The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, The Doctor's Wife, A Good Man Goes to War

2. Probably either Eccleston to Tennant or Davison to C. Baker.

3. The Sensorites, The Long Game, Paradise Towers, The Horns of Nimon, Terminus & The Idiots Lantern.

@Teague - Martha is certainly my least favourite out of the new series companions, I don't hate her though. Although I am interested what makes her your favourite?

@Invid - Can't say I was too fond of the E-Space trilogy, although I may need to give them a watch again. I'm also a fan of Adric, but I think he works much better with Tom than Peter.

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2012-08-25 22:02:50)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague- For stories some fans don't like there is -

Love and Monsters- a group of Doctor Who hunters fall foul to an alien, one of them seduces Rose's mum and the Doctor is in it for about five minutes total.
Fear Her- set at the 2012 London Olympics and a little girl's drawings seemingly come to life.
The Idiot's Lantern- set at the Queen's coronation, an alien takes people's faces through the TV.
Daleks in Manhattan / Evolution of the Daleks- two parter that has a human fucking Dalek....and Andrew Garfield before anyone knew who he was....
Aliens of London / World War 3- Two parter that introduced the farting Slitheen aliens. It's an awful story that really didn't need to be two parts. It's also the worst two parter starring Chris Eccleston.
The Voyage of the Damned- Christmas special and knock-off of The Poseidon Adventure guest starring Kylie Minogue.

One that some fans don't like that I do, though is Partners In Crime, the one that re-introduced Donna as the companion. The fat aliens are ridiculous but it was a fun episode, I thought. And it made the genius move of having Bernard Cribbins reprise his role from Voyage of the Damned. Although, now, he is revealed to be Donna's grandad. This came about because the original actor, who played Donna's dad, passed away. Cribbins was brought in and he reshot the scenes with Catherine Tate but in the same setting (on a hill with his telescope).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm afraid I've yet to see anything older than the 1996 Paul McGann movie, so all my answers will be from 8 and up.

9: 'The Empty Child'/'The Doctor Dances' -I know, it's cliché, but if it's good, it's good.
10: 'The Girl in the Fireplace' and 'The End of Time'. The first, because I love a goofy, yet great story, Sophia Myles, and a damn horse. The latter because ohmygod they couldn't end 10's run in any better way. Sob.
11: 'The Eleventh Hour' and 'The Doctor's Wife'. First because I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Smith's first take on the character. Amelia/Amy is a great addition, and the run-through of all 10 doctors ending on Smith was great. The latter, for somewhat obvious reasons. What happens when you make the Doctor mad? He ends you.

Favorite regeneration thus far: 10->11. Admittedly, I've not seen many, but the two-parter leading up to Tennant's leave was heartbreakingly awesome, and thrown into classic silliness by Smith's entrance. I love it.

The last question here, I've difficulties answering. The only story I can remotely think of not being that good, which I enjoy, is Peter Davison's 'Castrovalva'. Albeit incredibly slow-paced, the concept of it, and general execution of it really captured me, and I'm slowly working on plowing thru 5's run, and completing the show from there on up.

I suppose I'll get around to the first 4 in due time, but it's hard to get in the proper mind set for it, what with it being low budget even back then.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Adventures with the Wife in Space is a terrific blog, in which the wife of a Who fan watches, and comments on, every episode from 'An Unearthly Child' onwards.

They're currently approaching the end of the Tom Baker era, which means they're already well over 500 episodes in.

Of course, if you're ever planning to watch the earlier episodes yourself...spoilers!

That sounds pretty cool, I'll have to check that out.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, and the new series of Who Do You Think You Are? will feature both Alex Kingston (River Song) and Patrick Stewart in the next few weeks.

Since we get the US version here in the UK, I outrageously presume that the UK version might air in the US at some point.

I enjoyed the David Tennant episode of Who Do You Think You Are.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I watched the McGann TV movie this past week. It's pretty awful. McGann has little charisma; the companion is so-so; and the Master is Eric Roberts, chewing scenery that hasn't even been invented yet.

The plot is some complete nonsense about the Master plotting to steal the Doctor's remaining lives by opening something that seems to be the heart of the Tardis itself, and merely opening it for a while will destroy the earth. For idiotic reasons, it can only be opened by the retina scan of a human and can only be closed using a circuit board from an atomic clock.

Last edited by Zarban (2012-08-26 15:01:13)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Whilst it isn't the best, I do really enjoy McGann's Doctor and I wish he had the chance to do a proper series.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Really, it's no worse than a number of other Doctor Who, and better than the first Tom Baker or McCoy stories. The main beef at the time was the American Violence, where as the exact same scenes done by a UK crew wouldn't have been commented on. The show had the task of setting up a new series for an audience that had never heard of it, yet keeping it in continuity with the original. I did like making the Doctor half human. it's the kind of retcon that actually makes sense (more so than the entire idea of regeneration, which wasn't invented until the 4th Doctor. Doctor 1 was "rejuvenated" into a younger version of himself, and Doctor 2 just had his face changed into #3).

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

The main beef at the time was the American Violence, where as the exact same scenes done by a UK crew wouldn't have been commented on.

By whom? smile

The BBC had a thing about violence in the 90s and as the Doctor Who movie was a big event at 8.30pm on a Bank Holiday Monday, they weren't going to let anything slip through. The scene with the shootout when the Tardis lands was edited for gun violence. This was due a massacre in the Scottish town of Dunblane where a nutjob killed 16 kids and one adult at a primary school which happened not long before.

Even if it wasn't for Dunblane, I'm pretty sure that scene would have been edited anyway as it was pre-watershed and other non-gun related violence was also edited (a neck-break for example).  Besides, if it was shot in the UK, that shootout scene wouldn't even have been included. Not that I blame the US for it, it was written and directed by Brits it's just that the BBC would have been a lot more strict if it was shot here.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I used to enjoy the Tv Movie for the "Oh so this is how Doctor Who would look if it didn't look cheap" factor.

I thought Paul McGann was a great Doctor with a lousy script. Some of the Big Finish radio plays he did were really great though I haven't listened to any in years.

The thing the fans moaned about I've found isn't so much the violence but the kiss!

which I think the new series has managed to do with every companion since.

I'll have a think about stories but my favourite Regeneration is the first one for it's simplicity which holds up much better then most the others and I'm rather fond of Love and Monsters despite everyone else declaring it to be wank =/

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Faldor wrote:

I'm rather fond of Love and Monsters despite everyone else declaring it to be wank =/

I also like Love and Monsters (and I believe is has the peculiar honour of having the most costume changes of any episode). If the complaint against it is that the Doctor isn't in it much, then I guess Blink and Turn Left must also be terrible.

Love and Monters gets a bad rap for reasons I'm not quite sure of. It's perfectly harmless and enjoyable.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Love & Monsters" runs the gamut from awesome to awful and unfortunately ends on a low note. However, knowing that it was the result of a Blue Peter contest makes me forgive it quite a bit.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Yeah, a kid designed the alien for a Blue Peter contest. A kid didn't write the story though big_smile

Love & Monsters isn't very rewatchable in my opinion but it uses Mr Blue Sky on the soundtrack, so it's not all bad smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

Yeah, a kid designed the alien for a Blue Peter contest. A kid didn't write the story though big_smile

Apparently, the kid wasn't completely pleased to see the realization of the Absorbaloff, as he'd conceived it at about the size of a house, not the size of an actor.

fcw wrote:
Jimmy B wrote:

Apparently, the kid wasn't completely pleased to see the realization of the Absorbaloff, as he'd conceived it at about the size of a house, not the size of an actor.

Really? That would not be practical, story-wise, the stupid kid. big_smile

So, they got Peter Kay instead, don't which is worse actually.....

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fcw wrote:
Faldor wrote:

I'm rather fond of Love and Monsters despite everyone else declaring it to be wank =/

I also like Love and Monsters (and I believe is has the peculiar honour of having the most costume changes of any episode). If the complaint against it is that the Doctor isn't in it much, then I guess Blink and Turn Left must also be terrible.

Those episodes did it well though. I didn't like the format of Love and Monsters, it felt...I don't know, wrong. There was no one I was really interested in seeing more of.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There weren't exactly many left to see more of either, to be fair.
But yeah, Love and Monsters is cool. I also enjoy Blink and Turn Left quite much, obviously. I think my least favorite episodes to date is Midnight Terrors, Fear Her and The Long game.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Night Terrors is the only New Who episode I haven't seen. Those doll faces freak me out. It's not really that, though it's a factor, but I didn't watch the Christmas episode of last year until a couple of weeks ago. If I miss an ep I can't really be arsed going back to it. I shall be watching the new one 'live' this weekend! Can't wait.

I was going to mention The Long Game in the 'worst eps' list above........but forgot big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I really don't get the hate for The Long Game...then again, it's been a while since I watched it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I personally think its ok but probably because it has Simon Pegg in it. Although, I do wish he had a better part in a different episode big_smile

Last edited by Jimmy B (2012-08-28 19:00:54)

Thumbs up Thumbs down