Re: Doctor Who is awesome, yeah?

From what I remember I enjoyed the long game, and considering it had the forces of first season Rose and Eccleston working against it, that's a feat tongue

And yeah...Pegg definitely helps make anything better.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

I wonder if Pegg is now consciously collecting franchises: Who, Mission: Impossible, Trek, Tin-tin, the Edgar Wright trilogy...

He needs to get parts in Futurama, something by Marvel, something by DC, maybe The Man From UNCLE if anyone is making that, and he needs to persuade George to paint him into Star Wars as if he'd always been there.

Then he could do a special edition of Spaced where he has always been his own collectible figure set.

But that's like saying "the doctor, the widow and the wardrobe" is ok because it's got Bill Bailey. It is not. It's horrible. I only didn't mention it because I might be neglecting it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fcw wrote:
BigDamnArtist wrote:

I wonder if Pegg is now consciously collecting franchises: Who, Mission: Impossible, Trek, Tin-tin, the Edgar Wright trilogy...

He needs to get parts in Futurama, something by Marvel, something by DC, maybe The Man From UNCLE if anyone is making that, and he needs to persuade George to paint him into Star Wars as if he'd always been there.

Then he could do a special edition of Spaced where he has always been his own collectible figure set.

He voiced Dengar in The Clone Wars series...either that or he's going to, I don't really keep up.

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2012-08-28 21:07:46)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Let's see *scrolls through imdb*... he's also got, Ice Age, Superman, Narnia, Band Of Brothers....

Yep...dude's nuts.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

vidina wrote:

But that's like saying "the doctor, the widow and the wardrobe" is ok because it's got Bill Bailey. It is not. It's horrible. I only didn't mention it because I might be neglecting it.

Bill Bailey was totally underused in that episode. Although even if he had a better role, it still would have been a shit episode. I think The Long Game is a slightly better episode, though. Just.

I love Bill Bailey. He be awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Let's see *scrolls through imdb*... he's also got, Ice Age, Superman, Narnia, Band Of Brothers....

Yep...dude's nuts.

Looking though his IMDb has made me realise how old I'm Alan Patridge is! If anybody is a fan of British comedy and they've yet to check it out, then do so.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

I love Bill Bailey. He be awesome.

Indeed. He's not well-known in the US. I now know him mostly from QI, which is the new awesome.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Check out his live shows if you get the chance, Part Troll is my personal favourite.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This pretty much sums it up. Also watch Black Books.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ooh, yeah! Forgot Black Books, that's good too smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*coughs*

ZangrethorDigital.ca

To get (slightly) back on track...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen Ward wrote:

To get (slightly) back on track...

"Also Starring...Simon Pegg"
"Directed by Edgar Wright"

Oh, yeah and this was just before Wright and Pegg made Spaced.

Also, it was filmed in Scotland. big_smile

Last edited by Jimmy B (2012-08-28 23:05:38)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay folks, I'm tired of not being a Doctor Who guy. So. Where to begin? I read something in this thread about beginning with season 6, but I'm not even sure what's that supposed to mean.

Should I maybe start with the very beginning of the series? The 2005 revival? Any suggestions on the best way to go with this?

Last edited by Saniss (2012-08-29 15:57:16)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well...I started with the first season with Smith as Doc. And then went back to Eccleston and Tennent. It worked pretty well for me.

I still haven't had a chance to go back to the classic docs yet, so I can't speak for them.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

If I'm to begin with the three latest Docs, I guess I might as well begin with Eccleston, to respect at least some kind of chronological order, and that's already seven seasons. I easily forget how many goddamn years this series has been on.

Last edited by Saniss (2012-08-29 16:07:53)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

My strong recommendation to anyone starting Doctor Who, and this has a very high success rate, is to start with series 5. (Matt Smith's first season.)

Then go to series 6, like ya do, and then go back to Eccleston and Tennant.

Series five is not only a fresh start for a doctor AND a companion, where everything gets re-introduced quite well for a newbie, but is also a notable step up in quality from previous seasons, production-wise. This way you have a way to get into the show that gives you a proper start to it all, and gives you quite a few episodes to fall in love with the show before seeing some of the shoddier stuff. (IE, series 1 with Eccleston.)

Series 1 is fine, and certainly has its moments, but I know that just the production value alone almost scared me off. Series 5 looks more... proper. Plus by series 5, they'd had four whole series of figuring out the show, which is another hurdle with series 1.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I got in to Doctor Who not too long before the new series started back in 2005 by watching random stories from each Doctor. But for a newcomer I would suggest starting at either Christopher Eccleston or Matt Smith.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

Okay folks, I'm tired of not being a Doctor Who guy. So. Where to begin? I read something in this thread about beginning with season 6, but I'm not even sure what's that supposed to mean.

Should I maybe start with the very beginning of the series? The 2005 revival? Any suggestions on the best way to go with this?

My sister is in a similar situation Saniss.  I suggested she at least watch 1 story for each of the Doctors from the "classic era" but she said that she didn't want to see any story that's more than 4 episodes/parts.  Agring I'm considering showing her these stories that I have on DVD.

1st Doctor - An Unearthly Child [it's the very first Doctor Who story so it seems right]
2nd Doctor - Tomb of the Cybermen
3rd Doctor - Spearhead from Space, Day of the Daleks, Three Doctors, Carnival of Monsters or Time Warrior
4th Doctor - Ark in Space, Brian of Morbius, Deadly Assassin, Robots of Death, Horror of Fang Rock or City of Death
5th Doctor - The Visitation, Earthshock, Five Doctors or Caves of Androzani
6th Doctor - Attack of the Cybermen, Vengeance on Varos or Revelation of the Daleks
7th Doctor - Remembrance of the Daleks or Curse of Fenric

Think those are good choices?  Got to narrow the choices so if you want to give suggestions go ahead.  It would be appreciative.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1st Doctor - An Unearthly Child (as it's the first story)
2nd Doctor - Tomb of the Cybermen (great introduction to both Troughton and the Cybermen)
3rd Doctor - Spearhead from Space (Nice way to introduce post-regenerationess and UNIT)
4th Doctor - Genesis of the Daleks (I know it's longer than expected, but c'mon...it's Genesis of the Daleks!)
5th Doctor - Caves of Androzani (Classic story and it's has a great regeneration)
6th Doctor - Vengeance on Varos (I just quite like this one tongue)
7th Doctor - Survival (I know you didn't mention it, but it's the last one and could also serve as an intro to The Master)

I think with these choices you get a nice balance of 'classic' episodes that deal with different iconic aspects of the series.

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2012-08-29 18:15:15)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks Owen.  Trust me, I would rather let my sister see Geneis of the Daleks but she made it clear that she didn't want to see any stories that were more than 4 parts.  Probably just going to show her Ark in Space because that was a great story to quickly establish the Tom Baker's Doctor.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In fact, I'd only show her the very first episode of the first story, as the last three aren't that good (they end up with some cavemen). Pair the pilot up with the two part Edge of Destruction, one of the few "sideways" episodes of the series, a concept that was originally going to be mixed equally with them going forward and backwards in time. Or, better yet, also add the four part The Aztecs. The Doctor arguing they shouldn't stop the human sacrifices is lots of fun smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Actually, yeah - the first episode of AUC alongside with The Aztecs would be great. Good thinking!

Thumbs up Thumbs down