Topic: Makin' the Wiz

Hey, check this stuff out!

clicketty:
First Look at L. Frank Baum's "Wonderful Wizard of Oz"

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww260/Think_Mcfly_Think/January%202011/TMTPosterSmaller.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1345303277014

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Makin' the Wiz

Ummm...huh?

Did you work on this or somethin?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Yes sir, I did. CG and comps.

<edit> Actually not on that still, though.

Last edited by drewjmore (2012-08-18 23:22:02)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Did you work on this or somethin?

He not only worked on it, he lost more than a few night's sleep over it, I'm sure. Me too, incidentally. Seeing as it's been posted and all, I'd love to hear any feedback anybody had to offer.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cool, you have any specific shots from the trailer you worked on? (Although I can't imagine the crew was huge for this kind of production?)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Cool! The low-budget roots certainly show, but I like the acting, and some of the visual effects are terrific. I was a little confused by the audio, tho.

Scarecrow's voice in particular seems disconnected from the character because, I think, the actor was recorded in a studio like a podcast but Dorothy was recorded on set with a boom. That tonal difference was quite noticeable. I thought it was some kind of voiceover at first before I realized it was supposed to be coming form Scarecrow.

Last edited by Zarban (2012-08-19 01:16:55)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Cool, you have any specific shots from the trailer you worked on? (Although I can't imagine the crew was huge for this kind of production?)

On the first clip I just modeled, textured, rigged, and animated the Tin Woodman, contributed a few small bits to the environment. On the second clip I modeled, textured, and rendered the environment, and did the compositing (with a matchmove assist from Mr. drewjmore). As far as not effects work, I also directed and edited both of them. Your assumptions about crew size are totally spot on.  wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Cool! The low-budget roots certainly show, but I like the acting, and some of the visual effects are terrific.

In the first scene, i'm a little thrown by the shakicamness of it all, the weird framings and really bizarre camera moves seem like a weird choice, but, well to each his own.

What was the crew size like? Is this like a 2 guys in their basement type production, or a group of guys with a bit of cash type thing?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Tell me about the shakycam. SynthEyes about killed me with all that.

Driving the bus are at least three obsessive mofos spread out over the eastern US, plus everyone they can rope into spending their weekends shooting, sewing, carpentering or vfx...er...ing.

...and it's a garage.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ugh, I don't even wanna think about tracking that stuff. Amazing you got anything out of it.

And cool, looks like a pretty cool thing to take on.

You know... for ANOTHER Wizard of Oz interpretation.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

A. Awesome, see the work, etc..

B. I'll bite. What the fuck am I looking at with this. Who's she, what's going on, why. Huh?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

B. I'll bite. What the fuck am I looking at with this. Who's she, what's going on, why. Huh?

Um...Teague....jus' sayin

ZangrethorDigital.ca

But, little girl? Doesn't seem to be an actress? Who... what... *Calvin squinchy confused face*

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think I can be a bit more helpful!

Born in Flowood, Mississippi, Mariellen started her acting career in 2007 in productions at her middle school. During her 8th grade year she applied and auditioned to get into a performing arts high school where she now studies acting. At her high school she has performed in several showcases including "Freshman- Sophomore Ensemble" and "Senior Directed". She has performed with a children's theatre company where she has been in several musicals including: "The Sound of Music", "The Music Man", "A Christmas Carol" and "A Year with Frog and Toad". Mariellen is currently a full time member of the Carver Theatre Company. In the spring of 2012 she starred as Masha in "Three Sisters" the classical play by Anton Chekhov. Mariellen looks forward to furthering her repertoire and craft in her last two years of high school and on into college. Mariellen is excited to be a part of the Wizard of Oz team and is thrilled to bring a new face to Dorothy Gale.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Cool! The low-budget roots certainly show, but I like the acting, and some of the visual effects are terrific. I was a little confused by the audio, tho.

Scarecrow's voice in particular seems disconnected from the character because, I think, the actor was recorded in a studio like a podcast but Dorothy was recorded on set with a boom. That tonal difference was quite noticeable. I thought it was some kind of voiceover at first before I realized it was supposed to be coming form Scarecrow.

First, thanks for the nice words. Always room for those.

Weirdly, Dorothy is actually ADR'd, and we recorded her audio and the Scarecrow's audio in the same location with the same microphone. I'm not sure what would lead to the effect you described, I've unfortunately had to do the sound work myself thus far and I'm afraid it's not something I have much talent for.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What I want to know is: where is the hate? What this project needs is some passionate opposition to galvanize the supporters.  Or something. The youtube comments look like my mom logged in under a sock account to say supportive things.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alright...so since this is DiF...and you did ask for it. My initial thoughts were not all positive, although only you will be able to determine whether it was a director thing or a you guys thing.

-So the first shot just completely threw me off the scent of logic for a second. The camera is bizarrely shaky, but every element sort of moves at a different rate and shake than every other element, so the entire scene feels like it's floating and warping while underwater (And then it doesn't stop doing that for the entire scene...except when it does for some unknown reason)
-The scarecrow puppet is highly un-cohesive in it's movement from shot to shot. In the first and second shot he's pretty much moving like a normal dude, you could almost mistake him for a guy in a costume. But then in the third shot he completely defies any laws of gravity and basically turns into Christmas at Whoville. And it jumps back and and forth between those two for the rest of his time onscreen
-And then suddenly the whole shacky/floaty/background wobbling thing stops and it's pure lockoff....gah...bah...wha? Okay?

-I don't know the shot number but it's the one looking through tinmans arm at scarecrow. The entire FG (Tinman is vibrating and shaking around super hardcore, while scarecrow is just kinda chilling there. It's INCREDIBLY distracting)
-Zarban already mentioned scarecrows voice, but his didn't throw me off nearly as much as Tinman's did. First time watching it I was all "Yes god?" when he first spoke.
-Again with the shaky cam, but when we are looking up at Tinman, the shking gets so bad that he basically disappears out of the bottom of the frame for a bit, and then decides to come back. Extremely distracting, especially in a closeup.
-And then there's just a lot of really weird editorial choices, like all of a sudden we're watching scarecrow and Tinman from up in the tree... and then back to a closeup. It's all over the place.
-But on the positive, the oil can sequence is pretty good (Aside from the very CG-ness of it all, but such is the way for these projects, so I can't fault you there)

-Thank fully by the time we get to the Witch scene the cameras redbull has worn off and we get some really nice angles and general direction.
-The witches makeup is actually really nicely done, so good job to whoever did that

So in closing, I really hope more of the movie is like the witch scene and less like the Tinman scene. I may just vomit in the aisles from seasickness if the whole movie is like the first scene.

I get that it's super low budget and doing extreme stylisation can work to make the most of it...but this was missing a lot of somethings to get it to that point.

Cheers,
-a slightly blunt but honest BDA.

EDIT:

drewjmore wrote:

I think I can be a bit more helpful!

In my defence his exact words were:

Teague wrote:

Who's she, what's going on, why.

It's not hard to imagine one could be asking "Who is that girl (in the movie)" and "What's going on (in the movie)" Not a word about the actress or general reason for the movies existence.

Jus sayin. tongue

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-08-20 18:00:49)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Now we're talking!

I've never been totally satisfied with the 3D track on several of those shots...we've been learning as we go about how best to include tracking marks.  The first round of stuff (the live Dorothy elements) were all shot first while the girl was still, you know, a young girl, and the only markers were placed on the greenscreen itself.  So I ended up grabbing tracking marks off nails in the walls, chips in the concrete floor, light stands and bits of the overhead garage door tracks...most of which was kept deliberately out of frame after the action call.

Synth Eye's has the ability to build a little 3D world based on a few stills taken from various positions and then relate a real shot back to that world.  It produces it's best guess as to what the camera is doing from what we see, and what it's been taught about where the tracking markers 'really' are. Takes dozens of hours of screwing around with it, I can tell you...I'm aware that I'm the sort who will let the perfect stand in the way of the good, so I eventually had to Dobby-punish myself to let the tracks go to final as they were. We've discussed coming up with a smoothing method in the post-tracking 3D software that keeps the main details of the track intact while limiting the jitters, but everything I tried made the elements slide against the CG background (worse than they still do, I mean...)

Last edited by drewjmore (2012-08-20 19:28:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ugh, yeah, I know the joy of tracking footage without trackers, tons of fun. But the thing that irked me so much about the first little sequence of shots (Well all of them really, but the lock-offs don't count...so yeah...), is that just based on the Live action footage I can see of Alice, there isn't a lot of movement going on with the camera, and everything else in frame is fake (I'm assuming the puppet was comped in later yes? And wasn't an on-set thing?), so I'm wondering why you didn't just say screw the exact track, take what it gave you, strip out the up and down information, smooth out the rest of it, and just hand animate the rest. The most dramatic move I saw in that first little bit (With Alice in it) was a tiny bit of a dolly back and then a pan to the left. Or if you really wanted to strip it down, just take the Alice footage, stabilize it to get rid of the shake, and then just hand animate the camera to Alice for all the CG stuff.

It seems relatively simple enough looking at it from this end, but obviously I don't have the actual footage, so there might have been other limiting factors. But that's why I'm so confused as to why you stuck with the SUPERSHAKICAM9000. Was it a director thing, did he like the supershakicam9000 (I'm sticking with this, just roll with it) or was it something else on a technical level at the back end?

Oh... and I just noticed. There's one shot (Around the 1:26 mark) of just the scarecrow and the tinman, but it still has SUPERSHAKICAM9000 applied. Was that to try and tie it together? Because the scarecrow isn't actually moving with the camera, the tinman and the background are just sort of floating around in the background for some reason. And that's probably the best example of what I was talking about where all the different elements seem to be living in their own little world.

EDIT: I think my entire post can be summed up nicely by our favorite little engineer: "You confound me some is all."

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-08-20 19:36:44)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Cheers,
-a slightly blunt but honest BDA.

After working on this for years and finding it hard to get anything more than an, "I liked it," "Eh, it was alright," or, "This specific thing isn't exactly like the book so rot in hell you pedophiles," a blunt, honest critique is very appreciated. Some of your criticism I certainly agree with. I think Drew and I both agree that it's not our ideal version of the scene, but we need it for so many things we couldn't afford to sit on it and polish it any longer.

As far as the shakycam, Drew can speak to the technical far better than I can, but it's not really director's choice, except insofar as the director chose to be bad at setting up tracking markers. We keep refining that as we shoot, though, and we're getting it sorted, I think. I do like handheld camera work, nothing too intentionally aggressive, just something on the shoulder with a little float, and that's what we're going for. I think the shot it works best in in the forest is the one where Dorothy returns and the camera follows her in as she goes to oil the neck. That one is my favorite in the sequence. But the handheld thing is never something that's applied in post, if it's there on a shot it's because the camera was on my shoulder when we filmed it.

As far as Woodman's voice being disconcerting, this is something I really agonized over. We knew from pretty early on that we didn't want to do anything like malleable tin, so there's not going to be any real lip sync as such on the character. When he talks the plan is for Muppet-style flaps of the jaw. But he's supposed to be totally frozen with rust in this sequence, and it felt weird to me for his jaw to be the exception, when the hinge that moves it is no different from what lets his elbows and knees bend. One option was to have him  speak all "mmmm's" and grunts in this bit, and that was quickly dismissed. So we decided that since there's really no mechanism that allows speech, it's all magic anyway, we'd let him talk normally and just apply a substantial echo, like the sound is bouncing around inside of him. Once he's oiled and can open his jaw, most of that echo would die away. Hopefully it will work in context, but maybe not.

In regard to weird shot choices and editing... I don't really have any explanations for myself. That's the way I wanted to shoot it and the way I wanted to edit it. Felt right at the time, I dunno.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

C-Spin wrote:

After working on this for years and finding it hard to get anything more than an, "I liked it," "Eh, it was alright," or, "This specific thing isn't exactly like the book so rot in hell you pedophiles," a blunt, honest critique is very appreciated.

*Tilts hat* I do what I can.

Alright so.... I can understand what you're saying, I might not agree with it, but I can understand it. What I mean by that is, personally I wouldn't be focusing so hard on retaining that in camera data (For the movement), but more on trying to unify the scene as a whole. And there's definitly a lot of tricks you could do if you had the time (Which, I mean yeah, that always bites us in the ass). Looking at it again, I think a lot of my problems with the shackicam come in the close-ups, and those first couple wide shots. I don't know about anyone else, but I can really feel the tracking noise in the camera motion, instead of just feeling the camera motion. There's a certain mechanical jerkiness to it that is really distracting, also it's really high frequency so it adds a lot of unnecassary motion to it. (For example, compare the shot at :19, with the one at 1:06, with the one at  1:25. The first has a nice smooth motion to it, that still feels handheld with out the really shaky effect (Probably closer to a steadicam shot). The second one is more of an extreme example but it stills feels like handheld. While the third has a TON of unnessacary motion underneath the handheld feel that proves to be quite distracting.) I really think that if you can manage too (And if your scenes are set up for it), just run a blur over your tracking data for the really bad ones. It should clear most of that up. Or maybe just go in and add just a little bit of float to your lock offs, it would sync them together with the rest of the scene a bit better, instead of just a jarring extreme steadicam to lock off cut. IDK, I might be alone on this but having it be so varied from shot to shot really pulls me out of the scene and kinda forces you to think about the technical aspects of what's happening instead of the story.

But I get it, I mean I really do. If you can't go back into it, at least you can keep it in mind for next time smile

As for the voice, it's not so much the deep voice or the echo (I actually did catch on to the whole ringing in the tin suit idea.) But it's actually the same issue Teague has with Bane in TDKR oddly enough, the rest of the scene feels like a bunch of people talking in a field, and then there's this one guy sitting right in your ear (Hence the Hello God). There's no directionality to it, no sense of where it's actually coming from, and considering he doesn't move...at all..for the bit where we meet him, that just adds to the confusion, it takes a couple seconds to reorient yourself. I think if you just pushed him a little further back and down in the mix it would solve most of it.

But again, if you don't have time, you don't have time.

C-Spin wrote:

In regard to weird shot choices and editing... I don't really have any explanations for myself. That's the way I wanted to shoot it and the way I wanted to edit it. Felt right at the time, I dunno.

Heh, that's fair enough, I mean hell, that's half the reason most of do this. It's not really that bad, there's just a couple of edits that felt a little off to my filmmaking brain, but I'm sure 90 percent of that can be pegged on style differences between us.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Holy blankin'-blankety-blank!!!

Our Kickstarter campaing is kicking tail!!

Almost 25% funded on the 2nd day!!!?!!!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sheeeet son. Congratz.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

drewjmore wrote:

Our Kickstarter campaing is kicking tail!!

60% now, under 2 weeks to go!!

Could you guys please share the kickstarter link around your respective webs of sociality? I think we've tapped out the friends and relatives demographic.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/828 … rd-of-oz-0

And for thanks in advance, I'm going rogue and releasing a hidden gem I happen to know about, Shouldn't be any shakycam issues with this one...

Last edited by drewjmore (2012-09-08 20:52:15)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/828 … rd-of-oz-0

The LFBWWoO Kickstarter campaign only needs $414, STRIKING DISTANCE!!
Please help us...donations or link-pimping are equally appreciated!!!

What, I can't get something for nothing? You sure drive a hard bargain...

Thumbs up Thumbs down