Topic: Twister

Are you not entertained?!

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Twister

Umm, not sure?
I can't recall what I managed to babble about, so now I'll have to listen again this week and see if I made a complete fool of myself.

Then again, that could possibly be more entertaining, so ... who knows.

Last edited by Seth_Brower (2012-08-27 16:09:47)

See what I've worked on recently here:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2869151/
And ways to get in touch with me at:
http://www.google.com/profiles/SethBrower

I've always like Twister as a movie.  Well constructed story-telling and good, zany characterizations all around.  And remember, the movie earned that melodramatic scene that you guys were talking about when Helen Hunt says: "You've never seen it miss this house and that house and come after you."  I loved Phillip-Seymour Hoffman in this movie.

Regarding how people respond to tornado warnings in Oklahoma; you have to understand, during tornado season, there are about 4 different tornado warnings throughout the day sometimes.  The doppler system over here is so accurate, that they can tell you the crossroads where the tornado is located, and the direction the tornado is headed in.  It's a pretty sophisticated system.  There are some people in OK that will actually get in their truck, get behind the storm and stay there.

Last edited by switch (2012-08-27 21:53:08)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would grant that this movie treats tornadoes more realistically than other movies treat earthquakes, volcanoes, and ice ages. I liked the cast of characters and all, but I was just never invested in their weird competition.

As Teague pointed out that I pointed out, it's a lot like The Abyss (divorcing couple thrust into another mission, rekindling their mutual thrill-seeking romance) but without aliens at the end. It's also essentially the same as His Girl Friday (divorcing couple thrust into another mission, rekindling their mutual thrill-seeking romance). That movie didn't have aliens and but it DID have a crooked mayor and sheriff, and it was better than EITHER of the other movies.

If only Cary Elwes could have turned out to be a crooked weatherman CREATING tornadoes with ALIEN technology, THEN you'd have a movie. Instead, we're just asked to root against the rich kid.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

I would grant that this movie treats tornadoes more realistically than other movies treat earthquakes, volcanoes, and ice ages.

Are you telling us you don't want to see Finger of God in Manhattan? Tampa?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

By total coincidence, I watched Twister just now, unaware that you guys had released this podcast. I call that a win for serendipity.

Also, Teague, you never elaborated; how do you get through barb wire real fast?

Last edited by HenryChM (2012-08-28 08:33:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

HenryChM wrote:

how do you get through barb wire real fast?

Just fast forward to Pam's stripping scenes.

Hold all the fabric of your shirt as tightly as you can so nothing at all is dangling, anywhere, and "spin" through it at speed, keeping your torso as parallel to the ground as you can, aiming to thread the needle at the most comfortable empty space in the fence.

This is something that can go very wrong, obviously, but that's how ya do it.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:
HenryChM wrote:

how do you get through barb wire real fast?

Just fast forward to Pam's stripping scenes.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_leut89oTFl1qf8yek.gif

Thumbs up Thumbs down

EXTREEEME, MAAAN!

I haven't listened to the DiF comm, but Jamie Gertz had no reason being in the film. She wasn't a horrible person that made you want Bill Paxton to dump her and go back to Helen Hunt. I actually felt sorry for her a wee bit at the end. They could have left her character out altogether and nothing would have changed.

Fun fact of the day: The film was edited in the UK to get a PG rating, I think there were two f-bombs muted.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

im about 12 minutes in...
good to know someone else had that whole:
5 year old me: "Holy shit dinosaurs are awesome!" Jurassic park comes out, blows my mind.
7 year old me: "Tornadoes are pretty cool", I flip my shit at Twister in theaters.
9 year old me: "A FUCKING UNSINKABLE BOAT SANK?!", Titanic comes out... AND it has boobs!

The Imperial March fits Jonas...

I am 24 minutes into the POD. Really enjoying the show. It was overcast earlier but now it's kind of sunny. Rabbit is goooood Rabbit is wise.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

I haven't listened to the DiF comm, but Jamie Gertz had no reason being in the film. She wasn't a horrible person that made you want Bill Paxton to dump her and go back to Helen Hunt. I actually felt sorry for her a wee bit at the end.

I completely agree with you on that. It's kind of sad how she shows up loves her man, does nothing wrong and then has he heart a little broken.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nathan M wrote:

It's kind of sad how she shows up loves her man, does nothing wrong and then has he heart a little broken.

Obviously, she should have fallen for the twister. Problem solved.

I may have to listen tonight as we get some good winds from Isaac smile (don't worry, not in any real danger, in NE Louisiana)

Though Hopefully I can avoid flying nutria.

I really like Twister, despite it's cheesyness.

And Jamie Gertz was underrated hot.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mr. Stuart T. Maschwitz has elaborated on his work on Twitter:

A bit behind on my @downinfront, but yes @DorkmanScott, that was me who spun the house onto the road in TWISTER.

I had four months to do those four shots. The first one took three of them. I hand-animated the house and all the debris falling out.

We knew there was a major continuity issue in the orientation of the house, but I was instructed not to care. Looking back, I agree.

The fun of the ext. shot is in seeing a house land on its side. The fun of the int. is seeing a truck drive up the stairs.

Both good examples of familiar objects in an unfamiliar context, which is a big part of the audience’s delight in a movie like TWISTER.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In the podcast, the movie's treatment of science/scientists was discussed.

Bill Paxton still does the 'tornado whispering' thing (in other words, use your gut/feelings/intuition) and the bad guys have up-to-date hardware and data. It reminded me of 'Luke, you switched off your targeting computer'

Also, did Cary Elwes  really deserve a steel girder through his head? For being ambitious? Okay, he cut some corners and borrowed another's ideas, but is that an executable offence?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, did Cary Elwes  really deserve a steel girder through his head? For being ambitious? Okay, he cut some corners and borrowed another's ideas, but is that an executable offence?

Yeah, that's another problem I have with the film. People who have not done anything remotely evil (and I include Jami Gertz in this) are punished and we are supposed to root for this to happen. The film may be great to look at and a CG jizz-fest but its morals are a bit shite, in my humble opinion.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It raises the question - how many disaster movies (where the enemy is nature) have there been where there's NOT a human villain as well.

Jurassic Park had Neumann and the whole smuggling sub-plot
Titanic had Ismay (fuck the icebergs Captain, crank the turbines up to 11)
Sunshine had some sun-overdosed slasher on the other ship

I haven't seen The Core, Dante's Peak, Volcano, Perfect Storm or 2012 - did they also have human villains shoe-horned in?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you want shite morals in film, just look at many Japanese horror movies. People die, not because they've wronged someone or some spirit, but just because they're there. Totally not their fault.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

People die, not because they've wronged someone or some spirit, but just because they're there. Totally not their fault.

Well, that's how life works.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lamer wrote:
Invid wrote:

People die, not because they've wronged someone or some spirit, but just because they're there. Totally not their fault.

Well, that's how life works.

But generally not how mainstream Hollywood movies work. The good guy defeats the villain and gets the pretty girl. Children and animals are never harmed. The evil villain gets his come-uppance (usually blown away by the good guy after he cracks a pun).
I'm all for realism - why not have Paxton die in the twister and Cary live to get the data? Sure, it'd be injust, but that's life. But not emotionally satisfying for a mainstream Hollywood audience. In the cinema, we escape to a universe where there's punishment commensurate with the crime, and reward commensurate with the virtuous effort.

Last edited by avatar (2012-09-11 19:58:14)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm all for realism - why not have Paxton die in the twister and Cary live to get the data? Sure, it'd be injust, but that's life. But not emotionally satisfying for a mainstream Hollywood audience. In the cinema, we escape to a universe where there's punishment commensurate with the crime, and reward commensurate with the virtuous effort.

Yeah but why can't we have both? It shouldn't be an on/off switch. Either everything happens according to Hollywood template or Indy dies crushed by a boulder in the first 10 minutes of the movie. In se7en Gwyneth Paltrow did nothing wrong and yet she ended up having a pretty miserable day. Shit happens and sometimes innocent bystanders get the short end of the stick. I like that. Falling Skies does this. 'Oh look, what an innocent and lovely character. Surely she'll survive th...oh crap, she's dead'.

Thumbs up Thumbs down