Topic: New iMac - edit machine?

Depending on build price, it looks like a new iMac might be in my stocking for Christmas (if I've been good). The question I've got relates to external storage, specifically using USB 3 or thunderbolt for streaming footage

In the past I've build machines with internal drives for editing and dumped to an external disc for storage. It's been a while since I waded into the detail, so are these new I/O formats fast enough to work with if footage lives on an external USB 3 drive?

Basically I don't want to sink lots of money into flash storage if I can avoid it, your expertise would be appreciated.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: New iMac - edit machine?

I edit with an eSATA-connected Drobo with no bandwidth issues, and both USB 3 and Thunderbolt are faster than eSATA.

Are you planning to edit with FCPX, though? If not, I'm honestly not convinced it's worth sticking with the Mac ecosystem anymore. One of the reasons I'm not big on the iMac is that I can't upgrade the video card, and GPU acceleration is becoming a bigger and bigger deal on the video editing/FX front. You might consider the PC you can build for the same price (or less) as the iMac if you want to upgrade your rig.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

USB 3 and Thunderbolt are both plenty fast enough for real time video editing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll stick with the adobe suite for now, but the graphics card issue is something I'll need to investigate further hmm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not a post guy AT ALL... But can you upgrade a video card via Thunderbolt enclosure?

- Branco

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The big question for me is what the new Mac PRO will look like.  By all indications, it is coming at some point, and those you can certainly upgrade video cards.  Im typing this on a souped up Mac G5 while running avid.  At the current place Im at, there are 45 stations just like this one.  Bunim Murray runs about 175 of the same station.  Authentic Productions in Burbank is about to switch over its 95 stations to the same.  So clearly there is still SOME small demand for them.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

The big question for me is what the new Mac PRO will look like.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, Tim Cook kind of hinted at a new Mac Pro coming 2013... We'll see if that comes true.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam, that's what I was referring to.  It wasn't baseless hope, I've heard numerour rumblings FROM apple and some 3rd party folk that they've got something in mind for next gen Mac Pro

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And that totally worked out with Final Cut, amirite?

I know, they just updated FCPX with actual, like, features, and not to be a cynic but...well, yeah. I'm being a cynic. I'd love to be wrong. In the meantime, I have a 5 year old Mac Pro and for lack of a clear reason to stay in Macland, I'm gonna pick up some PC components on Black Friday and move on.

Totally planning to get an iPad mini, BTW. But it's pretty clear that's the niche Mac is gunning for moving forward.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm looking to switch back to PC too.  Gonna upgrade in 2014.  If Apple doesn't do right for the mac pro, you can forget me ever purchasing a Mac again.  Portable or otherwise.  The iphone and ipad, maybe.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They're still charging silly money for the Mac Pro, surely those units aren't shifting. The new Macbook Pro ad is telling; the tag line "for the pro in all of us" is aimed right at the prosumer market.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm pretty sure the Nvidia Kepler graphics line has CUDA, which enables hardware accelerated rendering adn such.

In which case, the iMac should fit all your amateur-based editing needs perfectly.

However, if you're a professional, I'm with most people here. The new iMac has its limits. the 21,5" model doesn't have user-accesible RAM, meaning that you're stuck with whatever you order it with. Also, the lack of an optical drive can, for some, be a killer. I've got libraries of stock footage and stock art on dvd's, which I won't be able to use if I go for an iMac, unless I buy the over-expensive super drive alongside.

I'm also kinda with Dorkman here, there just doesn't seem to be any viable reason to continue using macs until Apple gets their fingers out of whatever asshole they've been plugging them lately.

Adobe's available on both Windows and Mac, FCPX doesn't look like it'll be as good as FCP ever was, OS X 10.8 is too much of an iOS-like system, and each and every mac is now 'as tiny as possible', making huge compromises in hardware perfomance.

All that being said though, I'll come across as a two-timing, good for nothing piece of shit with this, but I recently sold my relatively high-end PC to switch to mac. Why on earth, after that rant would that make sense?
Well, I never liked windows much, with 7 being the best by far, and now 8 ruining the entire thing. I've also had hard drives crash on me several times this year, losing about 6000 photographs, and about 800GB worth of video files from shorts and other projects I've worked on. These crashes are also directly relatable to Windows, and while it's my own damn fault for not taking backups, I'm still sick of struggling with windows.

The only reason I bought the PC in the first place, was my tendence to play games every now and then, and the fact that I couldn't afford a Mac in that specific time period.

I'll be ordering a new iMac as soon as they're available. I'll even probably get a copy of FCPX. I'm not planning to go pro with my video work anyway, and I'm sure it'll fulfil my needs as far as editing goes. That and some Adobe apps.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't see what all the beef with FCPX is still all about. It EASILY beats 7. It's a great program, and plenty of professional production companies use it. It's a professional program, and I'm not sure why people bash it so hard. Probably because it's Apple, and all the talk about them not caring about professionals; which I do think is valid to a degree, but I still think FCPX is great. So much better to work with than Premiere, in my opinion.

And you don't have to buy Apple's overpriced Superdrive. I got a Blu-Ray burner on Newegg for $45. DVD writers run around $20. And that cost shouldn't be much of a factor when considering which really expensive computer to buy.

Last edited by Sam F (2012-10-27 22:54:51)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like my Hackintosh.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The optical drive doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me the most about the new iMac is the lack of a microphone port. I know it's got a microphone built-in, but I've got a Sennheiser microphone and an Ibanez guitar I'd like to plug in there without having to purchase an audio card.
...Which I guess I'll have to either way to get good audio, but still. Wasn't always like that.
I also don't like that I can only afford a 21,5", meaning I won't be able to upgrade the RAM later on. I really can't afford shelling out the extra money for a 27".

But with my needs, a 21,5" will do. At least for now smile

Also, the deal with FCPX? I don't know. I haven't used it, so I really can't tell. I only know what I've read and heard about it. But when it comes down to things, I only ever really used an NLE to edit. Cutting, trimming and adding audio. I do all my color correction inside AE. Since I'm usually using premiere, I don't even have to export the video. I might have to with FCPX, but I'll work it out.

All in all, I'm happy with my decision to switch to mac again. I haven't owned one for 2 years, and back then it was leopard. I'll do just fine with Mountain Lion tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:

It's a great program, and plenty of professional production companies use it.

Not one of them is one I know of.  Bunim-Murray switched 150 workstations from FCP 7 to Avid.  Authentic switched 95 workstations from FCP 7 to Avid.  Collins Ave switched 55 workstations to Avid.  WALTER MURCH just switched away from FCP.  This is happening all over LA right now.  And most of them are still running Avid on MAC Pro's, so its not an Apple bias.  FOr professionals who have to make airable programs, even with the recent additions, it's still not up to par.  I don't see anyone even going near it until the figure out some sort of backwards compatibility with FCP 7 projects.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:

It's a professional program, and I'm not sure why people bash it so hard. Probably because it's Apple, and all the talk about them not caring about professionals; which I do think is valid to a degree, but I still think FCPX is great.

There are any number of articles, written by professionals, on why FCPX is not an acceptable professional tool.

And the belief Apple doesn't care about professionals arose in large part because of FCPX not being seen as a viable professional tool, not the other way around.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Much of the argument for or against a new iMac will come down to price once it's configured with ram / drives / gfx. If we're looking at silly money, I'll just upgrade the Win 7 workstation and grab a mini as a day-to-day machine.

It's frustrating; I really hope Apple is going to surprise everyone with new Mac Pros, but I don't see the ecosystem that would warrant them any more.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam, I highly, highly recommend reading the series of articles DIF forumer Jeff Harrell wrote about FCPx as that whole thing was going down back in June. Really well written and funny (I just enjoy reading it), and he goes wonderfully into explanations for his opinions, and so far as testing out other programs for the first time to see what the solution is for editors moving away from the FCP ecosystem, etc..

Fun stuff. I'm sure the program has been thoroughly debugged since, but the Wiki page says the "stable release" date was five days ago, so, consider it infotainment reading if nothing else.

June 11th: FCPx is released.

June 23rd: "What Went Wrong With FCPx"
June 24th: "Project Management in FCPx: No. Just no."
June 25th: "Assembly Editing in FCPx"
June 26th: "FCP 8: What Could Have Been"
June 27th: "Impressions of Premiere"
(The link to "the thing he made" is down in the post, but here on YouTube.)
June 28th: "A story as yet untold"
June 29th: The FCP X FAQ, that petition, and what should have happened instead

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

Much of the argument for or against a new iMac will come down to price once it's configured with ram / drives / gfx. If we're looking at silly money, I'll just upgrade the Win 7 workstation and grab a mini as a day-to-day machine.

It's frustrating; I really hope Apple is going to surprise everyone with new Mac Pros, but I don't see the ecosystem that would warrant them any more.

The price doesn't really matter for most pros - the difference of a thousand dollars or so just isn't significant when compared to having to deal with an operating system or software that interrupts your workflow.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

They're still charging silly money for the Mac Pro, surely those units aren't shifting. The new Macbook Pro ad is telling; the tag line "for the pro in all of us" is aimed right at the prosumer market.

It is quite clear that the number of people who need more power / expandability just isn't enough to make a viable market for Apple. They don't prioritize it because it doesn't make them any money. Now you might think that's short sighted, and that the publicity value of the high end creatives is worth it, but they clearly don't think so.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, these guys use FCPX:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/in-action/

And here's a pretty good video in the defense of FCPX, which was made before any new features had been added:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwF9J1_aYzI

Last edited by Sam F (2012-10-30 03:21:33)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Upon reading up on the matter, it seems FCPX before the updates was a fancy-schmancy version of Final Cut Express.

With the added features, at least it's a viable option. For indie film makers, at least. I might be sticking to Premiere, but it's definitely worth checking out. For now.

As for the new iMac, I will be ordering one as soon as they are available, so I'll gladly do some review/test for you guys, if you're still on the fence.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

vidina wrote:

As for the new iMac, I will be ordering one as soon as they are available, so I'll gladly do some review/test for you guys, if you're still on the fence.

Good for you, that's always exciting!

Thumbs up Thumbs down