Re: Star Trek

Ohmygodthat'sawesome.

If I levitate because I just got punched in the face in slow motion, it's a Hong Kong kung fu film.

If I levitate because I just met a cute girl, it's a rom-com.

If I levitate because I just met a cute lesbian while my roommate draws comic books passive-aggressively, it's a Kevin Smith rom-com.

If I levitate six inches above a horse, it's a western.

If I levitate in black-and-white while speaking Swedish, it's a Bergman film.

If I levitate and the camera focuses intently on my combat boots, it's a Cameron film.

If I levitate and the camera focuses intently on my bare feet and I'm also a 21-year-old girl, it's a Joss Whedon film.

If I levitate for absolutely no goddamn reason while country music plays on a broken radio and a midget personifies my fears, it's a David Lynch film.

Brian, you have just provided the mechanism by which we can categorize all of modern cinema.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BrianFinifter wrote:

"It's just a movie" should be the Godwin's Law of movie discussions.

Of course it's just a movie. It's still worth talking about. "It's just a movie" is another way of saying, "It's not worth talking about." If that's your opinion, fine, but perhaps you should refrain from participating in a movie commentary forum.

No, no.  There is a MASSIVE difference between saying "it's a movie" and "it's JUST a movie."

The difference being this: if I say it's just a movie so who gives a shit, then you're right- that's straight rere talk.  My point is that it's a movie, so let's tell a story worth telling.

I have absolutely zero desire to see the realistic Star Trek movie where Kirk sits with his thumb up his ass at the Academy, periodically jerking off, while everyone else rushes off and is brutally murdered as soon as they come out of warp.  Because that is how that movie ends if Bones isn't a good enough friend to James (a key character point) to do something shady to get him on the ship.  And I have no desire to see the movie where Kirk sits in sick bay and enjoys the ride along, hiding from Spock the whole time and giggling about how he's in space- because that's the movie we get if he doesn't break every single rule imaginable to get command of the ship and blow up some green blooded rapscallions.

It's a movie- so give me the characters I love doing the things that make them awesome.

And, as we've already discussed, Star Wars is a space fantasy. The nature of the magic beans is far different. That being said, you're right! The fact that Luke gets an X-Wing and is a flight leader instead of Wedge or Biggs DOESN'T make sense. And it's a weakness in the story of Star Wars. And to be stronger, there SHOULD'VE been some justification of why Luke turns out to be the very last, desperate hope of the Rebels.

I absolutely disagree that the fact that Luke gets an X-Wing is a weakness in Star Wars.  It makes the movie.  He comes into his own.  It doesn't make real life sense, no- but real life sucks and heroes usually die before anyone learns their name.  Once again, it's a movie- I don't want to see the version of Star Wars where Luke doesn't get handed a plane and the Rebels lose because none of them know to reach out with their feelings.

Dorkman wrote:

Because the Rebels were desperate, in small numbers, and needed anyone who could hold a control-stick without drooling on themselves (and they'd probably even allow that, depending on what kind of creature you were). There wasn't any particular chain of command or succession there. It was "EVERYONE HAS BOMBS. SOMEONE GET A BOMB IN THE HOLE."

Whereas Starfleet is a pseudomilitary organization with ranks, seniority, and chains of command. These are two different situations, here.

I don't know if you noticed, but it's not like Pike, Spock, or Kirk had a fleet behind them.  They were alone in the fight, the situation changed.  They were dealing with the first known instance of TIME TRAVEL and were stranded without communication with their superiors against a threat of a level none of them had encountered- and it was essentially a ship crewed with teachers and students.  This is like when Hogwarts goes to war in Deathly Hallows.

All of which happened after he had been put in command of the Enterprise, which should not have happened in the first place.

It's fortunate for everyone in Startrekland that it did, of course, but the issue here is that the chain of events that put him in the position to be a badass commander are very difficult to swallow and could probably have been better executed and finessed.

It's much more difficult for me to swallow that we can atomically disassemble human beings and reassemble them elsewhere than it is for me to believe that a determined human being not particularly concerned with rules can rise to a position of power.  One of those should sound way more real life familiar to you than another.

And it's the fucking point of the fucking podcast to fucking discuss fucking movies, and the fucking point of the fucking forum to continue the fucking discussion. If you don't fucking like it, no one's holding a gun to your fucking head.

Fucking.

*ignites saber*

Lets fucking do this, fucker.

Last edited by Kyle (2010-04-21 01:49:10)

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You're mistaking my point.

I don't mean that these things (Kirk getting the Enterprise, Luke getting the X-Wing) shouldn't happen. I mean that they should be better JUSTIFIED.

The way in which they happen should make more sense. The cause and effect of the human interactions should make more sense. Sometimes doing that is a line of dialogue, a small scene, and sometimes it's scrapping the entire sequence of events and starting over.

Star Wars needed one of the first two (and actually has something like it in the deleted scenes). Trek09 needed the third.

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

If I levitate because I just got punched in the face in slow motion, it's a Hong Kong kung fu film...

*Claps hands*

Okay people, we're all done here, Jeffery wins the thread.   Move along.

Last edited by Trey (2010-04-21 01:52:01)

Hmm. That's a valid point, Kyle. So how do we write around all the implausibilities while keeping the good stuff?

Kirk's class is on their training cruise, which is aboard the Enterprise which is still on shakedown. The distress call comes in, every available ship makes best speed for Vulcan. Enterprise stays behind because duh, they're crewed by midshipmen and a handful of instructors. Then … well, actually then the rest of the movie happens pretty much unchanged. Kirk learns of the "lightning storm in space" thing, gets his cuh-razy conspiracy theory, implores Pike to set sail for Vulcan, Pike refuses until the flotilla goes unexpectedly radio-silent forcing his hand, movie proceeds as written.

And Kirk ends up in command because he's legitimately in the chain of command, not because of plot contrivances that strain credibility.

The down side? There's probably no good way to shoehorn Spock Prime into the story, since that required Kirk getting thrown bodily overboard. Whether this is a flaw or a virtue is up to you to decide. Also, we're basically retelling the story of "The Wrath of Khan" here except from the cadets' point of view … which I don't really see as a bad thing. The best retcons are the ones that put previous events in a new context. It'd have been incredibly cool if we could have watched "Star Trek," then re-watched "Wrath of Khan" and seen it through new eyes. Lines like Kirk's "boatload of children" and Spock's "each according to his gifts" could have taken on new resonance.

But instead we got felony after felony after felony. And yes, ass was kicked, and the movie was fun, but it could've been better, goddammit.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffrey Harrell wrote:

but it could've made sense, goddammit.

Fixed it for you.

Touché.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

sometimes it's scrapping the entire sequence of events and starting over.

Brian Finifter is the Republican party of filmmaking.

Last edited by Gregory Harbin (2010-04-21 01:57:34)

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BrianFinifter wrote:
Jeffrey Harrell wrote:

but it could've made sense, goddammit.

Fixed it for you.

Listen, man.  I like you, I generally like your opinions and go "yay, Brian's talking" when that happens, but I have as much trouble understanding what you mean by "it doesn't make sense" as I have understanding what drives the minds of republicans.  It just doesn't click with me.

There was absolutely noooothing in that movie that made me go "wait, that makes no sense" in any of my three viewings of it.  Sure, some things made movie sense, but in a world where we have A.I. Star Trek makes PERFECT sense to me.

I know your nitpicks with narrative, but if you want to you can nitpick the plot points of just about any movie.  Why the hell didn't the eagles just drop Frodo off in Mordor?  Are we willing to write off those movies completely (and the source material, which is about as "hard" fantasy as you can ask for) just because there's a foundational plot point that makes no sense?  LOTR ends with a giant deus ex machina.  LOTR is fucking brilliant.  Star Trek involves a lot of movie logic, but it doesn't lose me at any point.

It's not like the real world makes sense most of the time.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kyle wrote:

It's much more difficult for me to swallow that we can atomically disassemble human beings and reassemble them elsewhere than it is for me to believe that a determined human being not particularly concerned with rules can rise to a position of power.  One of those should sound way more real life familiar to you than another.

Except I don't remember it happening that way. I remember Kirk stumbling along more or less passively, being handed implausible opportunities like being made second in command on the fleet's flagship despite not having been assigned to the ship in the first place, or being on the ship at all, because Bones and Pike believed in him for no apparent reason.

Yes, when he realized that he had been placed in a position to take over the ship, he rose to the occasion, but again, it doesn't make sense that he was placed in that position in the first place.

Look, the simple solution would be that they actually followed procedure, some other character is put in that position and quails under the pressure. Maybe they're even a redshirt and they fucking die a horrible death when they try to follow protocol in dealing with Nero. The Enterprise has no commander, everyone's losing their shit and no one has the stones to step into the role.

So Kirk does. He has no right to be there, much less to be the guy in charge, but he's cool and he's confident and he rallies the troops to at least make a go at dying like heroes instead of cowards. If no one else is going to do it, then dammit, he is. Protocol ain't working. Time to try something else.

That I would buy. That would be within Kirk's character and show a decision to take responsibility for the lives of other people and not just himself. And it would give the other characters a reason to respect him in the end. Instead it all just falls implausibly into his lap and he's more than happy to just go with the flow.

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

And Kirk ends up in command because he's legitimately in the chain of command, not because of plot contrivances that strain credibility.

False. Kirk was not supposed to be on the ship in the first place and was damn near drummed out of Starfleet. That means that the legitimate  chain of command, one without Kirk's name on it, was already in place before the ship entered warp. That Pike would throw that all to the wind because he always liked the cut of Kirk's jib is a plot contrivance that strains credibility.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kyle, I've pointed out specifically the sequences of events that don't add up. So has Jeffrey. And I've fully admitted that none of them grabbed me sufficiently to make me come out of the movie going, "That was awful!" I LIKED it when I first walked out of the theater.

But you're correct, the Eagles ARE a HUGE deus ex machina. Do I still enjoy those movies? Sure. But it's still a bad way to end. On Tolkien's part as well as Jackson, though I could be mistaken, but doesn't Tolkien justify it in some way? Like the Eagles had fled Middle Earth because of the growing evil or something like that? I don't remember.

And you can nitpick the plots of almost any narrative. Because almost all narratives aren't perfect. Because narrative is really hard to do. Doesn't mean I'm going to give anybody a pass (which includes myself by the way).

But it's a movie commentary podcast, so I'm going to call out failings in movies where I see them.

EDIT: Oh, I'm actually leaving the computer for awhile, to have dinner, watch Lost, and interact with humans in person. So you'll have full reign to bash me for being a nerd for several hours. Enjoy.

Last edited by Brian (2010-04-21 02:08:47)

No, the eagles were stupid. Stupid with or without justification.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Agreed. Much better to have them start walking down the mountain, cut to them at the bottom with Aragorn et al. waiting for them. No more screen time taken up and much less of a contrivance.

Kirk was not supposed to be on the ship in the first place and was damn near drummed out of Starfleet.

Right. I was saying that the movie would have been better if Kirk had been in the chain of command, not a stowaway.

Hell, I'm still bothered by the fact that a bunch of cadets were hanging out in a bar a thousand miles away from campus for absolutely no reason other than so Jim Kirk could meet them.

On the other subject, I'm not a Tolkien nerd, but I think I remember hearing on the DVD behind-the-scenes docs that Tolkien got a letter from somebody asking why the eagles didn't just drop the ring into the volcano, and he basically made up an answer in reply in a winking acknowledgement of his own plot hole. But that's an example of what I guess you could call a load-bearing plot hole. Without that hole, the whole plot falls apart and we don't have a story. "Star Trek" had, like, eight load-bearing plot holes.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Don't get defensive on me, sir.  I would never bash you for being a nerd- Teague and I were best friends in high school, and that was BEFORE Teague lost weight, died his hair, and started getting laid.  In fact, the only girl Fig could get in his nerdiest era is the girl I'm proooobably going to wind up marrying.  C'mon.  I'm not bashing you for being a nerd.

My point is that I SEE all your nitpicks but I don't see why you say this movie makes no sense when using the same microscope you're looking at this one, I can't think of ANY movies that make sense.  I understand you want a perfect Star Wars movie- I fucking love Superman and half of DIF thinks Superman is a dumb character and a dumb story because of the sub-par movies that have been made about him.  You give me some money and I'll make a Superman movie that will make any human being with a soul cry.  But if someone makes a Superman movie that is as true to the spirit of Superman as JJ's Trek is true to the spirit of Trek, with as much passion and emotion as JJ's Trek has, I would dance naked in the streets out of happiness. 

I guess my point is that yes- dumb things happen in Trek 09, but it captures Kirk and Spock and Bones, looks incredible, and your main nitpicks about the mechanations of the narrative could be equally applied to nearly every version of Star Trek that has ever existed.

I should point out that on no level am I feeling any hostility for anyone here that disagrees.  I take it we're all seasoned forumers here and I know that sometimes shit gets heated for no reason because tone is hard to read through the internet.  I don't intend to get into a Dark City fight with any of you, because at the end of the day I've listened to more hours of you guys sharing your opinions than I've listened to MUSIC in the last year, so there's no lack of respect intended here.

Last edited by Kyle (2010-04-21 02:22:05)

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

Kirk was not supposed to be on the ship in the first place and was damn near drummed out of Starfleet.

Right. I was saying that the movie would have been better if Kirk had been in the chain of command, not a stowaway.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were defending the movie as is, I didn't notice you were proposing an alternate. My bad.

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

On the other subject, I'm not a Tolkien nerd, but I think I remember hearing on the DVD behind-the-scenes docs that Tolkien got a letter from somebody asking why the eagles didn't just drop the ring into the volcano, and he basically made up an answer in reply in a winking acknowledgement of his own plot hole. But that's an example of what I guess you could call a load-bearing plot hole. Without that hole, the whole plot falls apart and we don't have a story. "Star Trek" had, like, eight load-bearing plot holes.

If I'm not mistaken, it's that the Eagles were unwilling to get anywhere near the Ring or Mordor. With the Ring destroyed and Mordor's power broken, no reason not to save a couple Hobbits from the lava.

I would rather the Eagles thing either not happen or have been better justified in the movie (the Ringwraiths did have flying beasts as of Two Towers, it wouldn't be that hard to explain why the Eagles decided to get out of the "standing up to Sauron" business, even if they did give Frodo and Sam a brief lift). But hey, it was true to the book. Maybe Tolkien justified it well. Or maybe the Eagles are just assholes. The point is that the rules governing Eagles in Middle Earth are not the same as the rules governing Starfleet in Future Earth.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BrianFinifter wrote:

On Tolkien's part as well as Jackson, though I could be mistaken, but doesn't Tolkien justify it in some way?

Sort of.  It's never specifically explained in either the book or the movie, but the answer that makes sense to me is:  The eagles could cruise to Mordor any old time... once Sauron was dead and his armies of archers and Fell Beasts weren't swarming all over the place.     

For what it's worth, that's Filippa Boyens' answer in the movie commentary: Sauron had an air force too, duh.  I figure she's given more thought to the plot than I have, so I'm good with it. 

There's also some implication that the eagles only got involved when it suited their own unknown agenda to do it.   Earlier, when Gandalf sends out his moth-message seeking help to escape Saruman's tower, he seems genuinely surprised when an eagle shows up. 

So even before hearing Boyens' justification,  I just figgered it wasn't a guarantee that the eagles were at Gandalf's beck and call.     Maybe if you're lucky they'll help you, but more likely you're gonna be totin' that package to Mordor yourself, pal.   I'm an eagle, not a goddam OWL, so piss off. 

Oh, you killed Sauron?   All right, I guess we can make one run for you.  ONE.

Anyway.  What was that about pie?

EDIT: Something else occured to me after first posting this: it isn't all that shocking that they can't just order the eagles around - in Middle Earth you can get in heaps of trouble if you piss off the TREES.

Last edited by Trey (2010-04-21 02:44:10)

I love this forum.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*breathes in-* Yea I was going to say a few things about this commentary....then I figured nah me and Jeffery Harrel already talked about Star Wars and Star Trek

big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

Hell, I'm still bothered by the fact that a bunch of cadets were hanging out in a bar a thousand miles away from campus for absolutely no reason other than so Jim Kirk could meet them.

I actually have an answer for this one!

You seem to be forgetting that this particular bar is no more than a stones throw away from where the cadets will be leaving for basically what amounts to military school the next day and not to mention a massive Starfleet shipyard. Perhaps you can explain why a group of young cadets stuck in some bumhick town with one night of freedom left, wouldn't find the nearest bar and live it up. Keeping in mind that this is a bumhick town, there probably is only the one bar, which we are led to believe Kirk frequents quite a bit. So that takes care of him. Next up, Pike.
We are led to believe that Pike is a fairly intelligent man who's been around Starfleet for a while, you don't think he might want to check in on his newest recruits, juuuuuust in case what happened happens? And hell there's only one bar, so it won't take to long.

Decent enough for you?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

On another note, just because I like a little chaos, I want to throw this out there.

What in THIS MOVIE gives any indication that Starfleet hierarchical system is in anyway at all similar to any system we know or recognize?? Yes i know that whatever, you have your own ideas of what a military system looks like, but fuck that. What in THIS MOVIE gives you any indication that this is abnormal or out of the ordinary?? Cause no one else seems to mind.

Discuss.

And on a separate more closely related to what I actually think, note.

I forget who said it, and I'm too tired to go check. But someone said something about them being on there own, god only knows where without back up or support and how that changes the situation. I agree. So thats all now think back, Pike KNOWS WHO KIRK IS, when he meets him in the bar (After the bar tender tells him, but still, he's got a repuatation). Thats big dudes. Pike seems to have a certain connection with Kirk that transcends Teacher/Cadet. And don't you think that would carry through the Academy? I'm sure Pike kept a very close eye on Kirk throughout his schooling, and saw something he liked (Kobiyashi Murru anyone? I know I spelt that wrong, shut the fuck up). So when he's in a sticky situation, he wants someone who can get the job done, enter Kirk. Bam, Pike promotes him and the story continues. So in the end Kirk is not the only one breaking a few rules.
I think this makes alot of sense, but unforunatly it isn't really portrayed this way in the movie. How would we fix this? fairly simply really, all it would take would be a few short scenes of Kirk at the Academy impressing Pike and them establishing this sort of a relationship so that when we get to the end it makes sense why Pike would promote him over someone else on the ship.

And all of a sudden, all we have is McCoy breaking a few rules to get Kirk on board (If you notice, Kirk was just going to stay behind as far as we know, it's Mccoy that sneaks him on board, Kirk just goes along with it.), it's Pike that breaks the rules to promote him over someone else, and then Kirk just assumes the position he's required to when Spock steps down. Fairly reasonable I would think, as far as his accension to power goes.

Alright I am ready for the massive hail of hate that's sure to arise...bring it on.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2010-04-21 04:00:50)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

maul2 wrote:
Jeffery Harrell wrote:

I actually have an answer for this one!

You seem to be forgetting that this particular bar is no more than a stones throw away from where the cadets will be leaving for basically what amounts to military school the next day and not to mention a massive Starfleet shipyard. Perhaps you can explain why a group of young cadets stuck in some bumhick town with one night of freedom left, wouldn't find the nearest bar and live it up. Keeping in mind that this is a bumhick town, there probably is only the one bar, which we are led to believe Kirk frequents quite a bit. So that takes care of him. Next up, Pike.
We are led to believe that Pike is a fairly intelligent man who's been around Starfleet for a while, you don't think he might want to check in on his newest recruits, juuuuuust in case what happened happens? And hell there's only one bar, so it won't take to long.

Decent enough for you?

Not really. Why is the Enterprise being built in Riverside, as opposed to San Francisco as has already been established? Other than so it's coincidentally close enough for Kirk to go look at it?

But THAT would be nitpicking and me being some irredeemably obsessed fan that dares question the quality of the new Trek. And then the jocks would never invite me to their parties.

oh my god its a different timeline the butterfly effect or whatever jesus

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not really. Why is the Enterprise being built in Riverside, as opposed to San Francisco as has already been established? Other than so it's coincidentally close enough for Kirk to go look at it?

But THAT would be nitpicking and me being some irredeemably obsessed fan that dares question the quality of the new Trek. And then the jocks would never invite me to their parties.

I don't see how where the ship is built effects the quality of the movie.  Also, relax, because I don't think there is a relationship between which side of this debate someone is on and in how good of shape they are.  You did boot camp, I'm barely in good enough shape to pretend to fight for 10 minutes.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm pointing out the fact that there's a difference between actual nitpicks that bug me as a fan just because they're different (where the ship gets built) and the legitimate issues I have with the story.

And again trying to point out that most of this time I haven't been harping on the nitpicks. But that point is still apparently lost on everyone.