Re: World War Z.

From the Deadline article:

Beyond the fact that Paramount shares its risk here with Skydance Productions, Hemisphere and GK Films, Moore said that the 3D on both G.I. Joe and WWZ added nothing to those upfront budgets because those companies supplied conversion services in exchange for an equity stake that will pay them only after each film reaches certain gross thresholds.

Does this tie in with the Intermission on FX companies? Now they're working for free!

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Depends on how it's set up; it could also be the first arrangement I'm aware if where a VFX company makes residuals.

Either way, seems kinda shady.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also those vfx companies are gonna be shit out of luck when this movie bombs

Thumbs up Thumbs down

3D, not VFX.   It's the 3D conversion company they're talking about.

And it does say GROSS thresholds - doing it for NET is a fool's game, but I might take a chance on gross points if the threshold was low enough.  As in, "okay, if you make less than 100 mil global, you owe me nothing".  But it's a pretty safe bet this movie will do better than that.

I continue to be baffled by the process of filming a 200 million dollar movie before you've even written a 3rd act. How the fuck did we get to this point? That's like trying to fly a plane before you've finished building the wings.
If you tried that in any other industry, your ass would be out in the street or in jail. I mean christ, it was Brad Pitt's own production company, why did he feel so pressured to start filming on this if they clearly weren't ready, wait 3 months and you save tens of millions of dollars.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I THINK it's the other way around. The ending in Russia was to set up the sequel, and once the rough cut was assembled everyone realized turning the main character into a zombie killing machine wasn't working, so they came up with a more final ending. They'll worry about the sequel later.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They HAD a third act, shot it, then decided it didn't work and shot a different one.

I'm starting to think that the film will imitate the spirit of the book, in terms of the geo-political content, just not the style. Which, hey, I guess I'm okay with. I'd love to see the mockumentary version of World War Z, but a smart, relevant action-thriller is fine by me any day. It probably won't actually live up to that, but my hopes are up.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This talks about how they wanted to end it on a cliff hanger to set up a franchise but decided it might leave viewers feeling ripped off and do more harm than good.

which is quite refreshing after every movie these days seems to need sequel bate.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

No they do, but they're still human, so sometimes they fuck up in trying to make the wrong decision and accidentally make a decent one.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

For what its worth, I'm inclined to blame Marc Foster for fucking up here more than anyone at the studio. Remember, he was Brad Pitt's choice, not necessarily the studio's. This looks more like the studio scrambling to fix his mess and make a workable, entertaining summer blockbuster.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

An unabridged audiobook for World War Z came out today...

It's awesome :)

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Survival Odds Low for Paramount Execs After Collapse of Poorly-Constructed Tentpole

Doesn't sound like the surprise was much of a surprise.  lol

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Reviews are coming in. Some bad. Some good.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A positive review from Harry Knowles means fuck all, he might be the least credible person on the internet.
Drew I trust though, so expect it to suck.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

A positive review from Harry Knowles means fuck all, he might be the least credible person on the internet.
Drew I trust though, so expect it to suck.

I expected it from the first trailer I saw so not surprised at all hmm

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Positive (if not amazing) reviews from the UK

Empire
Total Film
SFX
The Guardian
Den Of Geek

Almost all give it 3/5.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Especially when he ends the review showing himself gleefully gripping hands with Brad Pitt, so proud that the star of the film he's reviewing pretends to like him.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Anyone else seen the new zoombie flick, World War Z?
Besides needing a 'R' rating and a third act, it's pretty good. No camp capes, no WWE punch-ups, etc.
It's 28 Days Later crossed with a bit of Aliens and I am Legend.
Brad Pitt keeps it real. The swarm effects are impressive. There are some genuine suspenseful moments. The opening is very strong.
On the downside, some of the cinematography & editing are a little jerky - like Marc Forster's other shaky-cam flick Quantum of Solace. The finale is very low-key for a $200M+ movie (production issues). And for genuine horror and a sense of threat - it needs to be more graphic. Unfortunately big budget means it has to be PG-13.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Good interview with Max Brooks in the Empire podcast this week where he talks about the movie and how it relates (or rather, doesn't) to his book- click. Interview starts at 17:45.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Paramount, Brad Pitt Set Sights on 'World War Z' Sequel

http://www.pinkfive.com/images/post/pittdance.gif

Brad Pitt: Shut up and give me money!

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-actors-wh … -movie_p2/

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some details are coming out about the problematic third act and the work Damon Lindelof did when he was called in.

Sometimes reshoots are for the better. That is definitely the case with World War Z. Movies.com has provided a complete breakdown of the film's original ending, and to say it's different is a bit of an understatement.

Show
Apparently the pivotal point where the reshoots took over was the plane scene. In the original film:
perfected zombie-killing tool that's sort of a shovel/battle axe that would have been one of the few things from the book to make it into the movie.
- Gerry discovers that the cold weather is the best defense against the zombies as they freeze and are easier to kill.
- The plane did not crash as it does in the theatrical version.
- Gerry (Pitt) and his Israeli comrade, Segen, land in Moscow, where his phone (the link to his wife, Karin, and family) was taken away and he was forced to join the Russian Army against the zombies.
- Months pass, and Gerry is now a zombie-killing machine.
- Gerry's unit is tasked with clearing subway tunnels of zombie hordes. This is the first time we see the Lobo, a perfected zombie-killing tool that's sort of a shovel/battle axe that would have been one of the few things from the book to make it into the movie.
- Gerry comes across the Russian who stole his phone molesting Segen.
- Gerry gets Segen and his phone back.
- Gerry calls his wife, Karin, and he learns that she sells her body to keep their children safe.
- Gerry also learns that his family is living in the Everglades, where the dead will never freeze.
- Gerry then finds out that Matthew Fox's character is housing Gerry's wife and Fox tells him to stay away.
- Gerry makes his way back to the United States as a means to rescue his family.
- Gerry and his mates land on the Oregon coast to begin a fight across the States to make it to the Everglades, where Karin and their kids are being kept.
- Roll credits.

That's it. No resolution. No nothing really.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/68106/ … -kind-suck

Also Indiewire has a writeup on the changes to the third act.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ … y-20130625

Damon Lindelof's haters are probably just going to do their thing and hate on it regardless but what do you guy's think?

Last edited by AshDigital (2013-06-26 08:15:29)

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.