Topic: How will you be seeing 'The Hobbit'? In 3D? IMAX? 48fps? Digital? 4K?

Here in the London, the main BFI IMAX cinema has just announced it won't be screening The Hobbit in HFR (48fps) IMAX, just the normal 24fps. Lots of irate geeks who want to experience to new technology will have settle for a regular cinema. Talk about a first-world problem.
And still lots of confusion between 15/70 3D IMAX and digital projection (with or without the 9 minute Star Trek prologue).

The Sydney IMAX is also not showing The Hobbit in 48fps

So you have the choice of either high resolution or high frame rate but finding both will be difficult unless you live in California...

http://www.48fpsmovies.com/48-fps-theater-list/

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: How will you be seeing 'The Hobbit'? In 3D? IMAX? 48fps? Digital? 4K?

I'm going to see it in 70mm IMAX 3D the first time, because IMAX is cool and I want that Star Trek trailer! Then I'll see it in 48 fps 3D, because I want to give the format a fair shake. I don't think I'll like it, but I want to be able to join the conversation.

By the way, to further add to the confusion over this movie, some digital IMAX screens will have 48 fps, but the 70mm screens will not. There are like ten completely different formats to see this movie in. It's unprecedented.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wait a sec, it wasn't actually shot on Imax though, right? It's just being upscaled to the imax screen?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's right, yes. Normally I have a thing about not shelling out for IMAX unless it was shot in the format (or specially formatted as with Skyfall), but hey. Star Trek.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There'll probably be completists out there that have to see it in every combination possible.

It'll be interesting to see if HFR takes off, or just feels like cheap video.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm definitely going to give HFR a shot so I can at least make an educated opinion on it, but I suspect I will hate it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

HFR here too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think if I can find it in regular old 2D, 24p, I'm going to go with that first. That way I can just sit down and appreciate the movie for what it is, without being distracted by the new technology. Then, if it's playing in HFR 3D somewhere relatively nearby, I'll check that one out to see what it's like.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If I make a trip out to WEM I'll probably see it in IMAX, otherwise 2D.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm still extremely curious about the 3D 48. I will definitely be seeing that. Previously my intention was to see it like that first.

However, recently Dorkman made the point that you run a high risk of being miserable due to the circumstantial details of watching a new media form for three hours, and completely tainting your first experience with the movie. So now I'm not so sure.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No 3D, no 48 fps for me even if I could (and I probably couldn't around here; sometimes you even have to struggle to find an undubbed version viewing). Teague just said it, there's the risk of ruining your experience with the movie, and I won't have that.

But I'd definitely be up to experiencing the 48 fps afterwards. 3D? Never cared for it, and I don't think it's going to change with higher fps.

Last edited by Saniss (2012-11-30 23:37:43)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thing is I'm not very excited to see the movie in the first place, so the new technology is actually more of a draw for me personally

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I thought, why not, so snagged a ticket to the 3d 48, at my local theatre, which is a nice big one. Whether I get the opportunity to use the ticket due to work is another issue, but we'll see.

See what I've worked on recently here:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2869151/
And ways to get in touch with me at:
http://www.google.com/profiles/SethBrower

My first experience with THE HOBBIT will be in 2D at 24fps, because it's a movie.

If I enjoy the movie enough to see it again, I'll check a 3D 48fps screening for the novelty.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm going to the premiere, seeing it in 3D HFR Digital Imax, the way it was meant to be seen (for better or for worse), but not the way it was meant to be heard! There's no theater within 4 hours of my house that's showing the film with all the bells and whistles, including Dolby Atmos sound. Shame, I wish I could have gotten the chance to hear it that way. Oh well, Atmos will probably be way more widespread next year, and especially the year after that.

I'm sure I'll see it in 2D 24p at some point as well.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

I like Avatar, but it's not an amazing movie or anything. Above average at best. It's pretty in 3D, tho.

Yeah I saw Avatar in 3D Digital Imax and thought it looked amazing. Say what you will about the movie itself (meh), but the experience in that theater was absolutely stunning. I'll be seeing The Hobbit in the same exact room.

Oh, and I'm also excited for the 9 minutes of Star Trek. Bonus!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Like most, I'll definitely be doing the 2D 24fps for the first viewing. Even though 48fps is just going to look like that motion smoothing crap you get on new TV's these days, I'm still curious to check it out anyway.

It's exactly for that reason that I think HFR is going to become the next "new technology craze". People that love LOTR and are curious about the new tech are going to buy a ticket, and the film will make a ton of money. But from a Hollywood exec's point of view, I can see them going "well it made a lot of money because of HFR, let's make every movie like that from now-on!"

It happened with Avatar and 3D, and I can definitely see it happening again!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

no, I don't think the Hobbit will be the thing that does it, but you can bet your ass when Cameron uses it on Avatar 2 and 3, everyone will start doing it (...shudder...)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tolkien fans not arsed whether The Hobbit is loyal to book...

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts … 2112951061

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think my first viewing is going to be of the old animated version. Came out when I was in 4th or 5th grade, and is still damned fun smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

2D, 24p. I don't have the option to view it in HFR here, but 3D is an option, which I'll be opting out of. I don't like 3D unless it's animated films.

Granted, the only live action films I've watched in 3D are Pirates 4 and HP7-2, which weren't shot in 3D, but still. I enjoyed it in How to train your dragon and Tintin, though the latter kind of lost the whole "WHOA IT'S 3D!" effect rather quickly. It was just there and not in-your-face at all.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Based on these reviews, my first experience with the hobbit may very well be via the AppleTV.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Don't have an HFR theater around... not horribly disappointed. If I can manage it I'll be doing 2D 24p. (But that relys on our one movie theater in town not being it's regular d-bag self and only showing 3D versions. So not hopeful on that front)

I don't have as much against 3D as most people., but still come on, it's the Hobbit, I don't want no distractions.

If I can manage it, the cities about 2 hours away have HFR, so I might go check it out there after I've already seen it (a few times), but only so I can make an informed opinion. (But as of this posting, I'm pretty sure it's gonna look horrible)

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-12-04 23:15:14)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'm in for the 2D 24p version presuming the local theaters are actually gonna show it in 2D.  Mostly because 3D has a tendency to give me a killer headache and I want to watch the Hobbit and not have to walk out because of it.  Though I'm interested to hear what people have to say about 48p I'm wondering if it would resolve the headache issue.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

By all accounts it's making them worse

Thumbs up Thumbs down