Re: Are Video Games Art?

TrowaGP02a wrote:

Evelyn Beatrice Hall, actually tongue

And I equate gameplay to standing and staring at a painting or sitting in a theater.

You the MAN Shadow!

This is a good question, but your comparison doesn't line up. A painting isn't changed (except in the most philosophical/quantum mechanical ways) by the observer interacting with it. Nor the play...unless it's a play with audience participation...in which case...

Last edited by Brian (2010-04-23 23:40:00)

BrianFinifter wrote:

A painting isn't changed (except in the most philosophical/quantum mechanical ways) by the observer interacting with it.

Spoken like a man who's never seen this. Your perception of a painting absolutely can change as you change your perspective on it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

But you're changing it in the way it was MEANT to be changed by the artist.

Actually, I don't even like the word "change", Dorkman use your powers of literariness to help me.

Last edited by TrowaGP02a (2010-04-23 23:44:17)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

Let me attempt to swerve the conversation.

Alright, games can. But can gameplay?

This is a fair question. I think gameplay could certainly be made into performance art, just as reading a book could be transformed into performance art. But generally speaking, no, I would say the observation of art is separate from the art itself.

Jeffery Harrell wrote:
DorkmanScott wrote:

If someone TRIES to make a video game that invokes an emotion or aesthetic experience or sense of the sublime, then they are making art whether they "succeed" or not, correct? Just by trying?

Yes!!!eleven That's exactly how I see it.

Now … can you name me a video "game" (for lack of a better word) that was made with that intent? I'm not challenging you; I legitimately don't know of one.

Myst.

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

Art is a category

Ehhhhhh … sort of. I just dumped some eggs, flour, sugar and baking powder into a container. Was I cooking or putting stuff in the trash? It depends on my intent. You dig me?

No, because we're talking about two different things (which is, perhaps, the problem). You're still conflating "art" with "cake" -- a product. I'm saying "art" is better compared to "edible" -- a category.

Jeffery Harrell wrote:
BrianFinifter wrote:

A painting isn't changed (except in the most philosophical/quantum mechanical ways) by the observer interacting with it.

Spoken like a man who's never seen this. Your perception of a painting absolutely can change as you change your perspective on it.

But he didn't say perception. He said the painting, and he's right. The painting doesn't change. What changes is your perspective, but that means you're interacting with the piece, and implies that was the intention of tha painter. According to your argument, doesn't it stop being art at that point?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, there's an important distinction to be made between artist and craftsman, I think. Clearly someone is the artist in the creation of a movie or painting, or symphony (presuming each of these team operations are "art").

Is the composer an artist? The fourth violinist? Is the director the artist? Is the best boy?

Earlier I asked about the distinction between skilled technicians and artists, and implied my opinion. Now I'm going back on that.

I'd say a DP is an artist, and a director is not.  That might be because photography is an art in my stupid brain, and movies aren't. But there's my first impression.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I will never understand you, therefor, I must destroy you.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Again, no question of skill. This is about individuals' understanding of Art.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:

Myst.

I freely admit never having played that one. I saw it played once, years ago, briefly, but that's as good as I can do. If that one fits the criteria — it's meant to be evaluated aesthetically first and only as a game or toy second — then I concede defeat. You've convinced me.

However, assuming those facts-not-in-evidence … is "Myst" a video game? Or is it something else? Is it in some way inherently different from Tetris or Gears of War?

You're still conflating "art" with "cake" -- a product.

Yeah, I wish I'd been clearer. What I was actually doing was conflating "cooking" with … erm … "arting." The nature of the end result is defined by the process that went into producing it. It might be an unsuccessful dish, but it's still a dish, because it was intended to be edible.

But the more I harp on that point the less confident I am in it. So … yeah.

Last edited by Jeffery Harrell (2010-04-23 23:48:52)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TrowaGP02a wrote:

But you're changing it in the way it was MEANT to be changed by the artist.

Actually, I don't even like the word "change", Dorkman use your powers of literariness to help me.

Okay, so let's go back to the intent question. I feel something qualifies as art if it's created with the intention of communicating a point, which you could also call the theme.

Now what if the work you're creating (interactive play, choose your own adventure book, or video game) can be altered by the participant enough that they can alter the outcome of the work enough that the work could theoretically produce contradictory themes? Play it through one way and you get, "Anybody is capable of redemption." Play it through again, take different actions, and you get, "Evil cannot be undone."

For what it's worth, I think once video games hit this level of sophistication, then the medium is really on its way to being an art form.

Okay, how about this.

Photoshop is, in all the ways that matter to this discussion, a video game.

Discuss.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffery Harrell wrote:
BrianFinifter wrote:

I have seen that, as a matter of fact. In person. And I did exactly what you think I did. Because I had taken an art history class before hand.

downinfront wrote:

Again, no question of skill. This is about individuals' understanding of Art.

Which is difficult to address, since you have not given the definition of "art" which you hold and by which you are making these evaluations.

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

However, assuming those facts-not-in-evidence … is "Myst" a video game? Or is it something else? Is it in some way inherently different from Tetris or Gears of War?

Not to play hard to get, but I'll repeat my question that got lost in the shuffle: what is your operating definition of "video game"?

EDIT: even more pertinent in light of your point of debate re: Photoshop.

BrianFinifter wrote:

Now what if the work you're creating (interactive play, choose your own adventure book, or video game) can be altered by the participant enough that they can alter the outcome of the work enough that the work could theoretically produce contradictory themes? Play it through one way and you get, "Anybody is capable of redemption." Play it through again, take different actions, and you get, "Evil cannot be undone."

Three contemporary games that fit this criteria are Bioshock, Mass Effect, and Fable.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

brian wrote:

Dude you gotta play games like Mass Effect. And can't one painting instill a feeling of safety in one viewer and a feeling of horror in another?

Last edited by TrowaGP02a (2010-04-23 23:54:08)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alright, I think we've all encountered the circle of our original argument.

Can someone put all of the weird little hypothetical side questions that have been asked in one post, so we can poll it out?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:

Not to play hard to get, but I'll repeat my question that got lost in the shuffle: what is your operating definition of "video game"?

I don't really have one, which is why I'm struggling here. The best I can do is to be totally boring and circular: A video game is a computer program (or I guess combination of software and hardware, whatever, there's a computer in the loop) that's intended to be played. It's judged on the criteria we use for games of all sorts, and for toys.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In that case, a musician at his instrument is similar to a user at his video game.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Which raises the startling question of whether the game itself cannot be art, but the game as played by the player could be?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So then is the person who built the instrument an artist?

Also, I'm not even quite sure we should be comparing books/movies/paintings/music like they're interchangeable, even though I know it's easy to use examples with, but when it comes down to it they're all really different.

Last edited by TrowaGP02a (2010-04-24 00:00:27)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

JayHair wrote:

Which raises the startling question of whether the game itself cannot be art, but the game as played by the player could be?

Exactly. Hence my question of gameplay. Surely a cinematic between scenes can be art if a movie can, but Ebert is thinking of playing a game.

Trowa wrote:

So then is the person who built the instrument an artist?

Uh. Sure? I dunno, not really. Again, skilled technician.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have played Mass Effect. I love Mass Effect. I haven't played the second one yet, because I'm poor. But I would love to, if anyone out there is feeling generous.

I do think video games on the whole are starting to get to that point of maturity. I don't know how much of a conscious effort it is on the part of any particular game developers (going back to the "intent" question again). But somebody's going to come along specifically to set out to make a game with contradictory themes at some point, if they haven't already.

And then we'll really be in new territory.

Musical instruments can certainly be beautiful, both generally and as fine examples of their kind. But I wouldn't say that an instrument is, in and of itself, a work of art. Because above all else, it has to be functional. Otherwise it's not an instrument at all; it's just a sculpture.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

In that case, a musician at his instrument is similar to a user at his video game.

Not quite. More like, a gamer at his game system is similar to a musician at his instrument. The game is the piece of music to be played.

EDIT: You hit "Edit" instead of "Quote," Teague. I've done it a few times myself.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:
Trowa wrote:

Thing.

Uh. Sure?

Well if that doesn't sum up this entire forum, nothing ever will.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OH GOD. Didn't we all have this argument in first year art studies classes at college?

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down