Re: Are Video Games Art?

Ooh, I actually mind seeing that either.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

My guess is poorly. Even the 'best' video game stories are generic derivative affairs, but that's not really the point. The function of the video game story is very different to those of other mediums. A video game doesn't tell you a story, it provides the framework for you to create your own. Aliens attack and you need to get to your ship. That's the generic framing, and you write the specifics yourself: I'll come up behind this elite and smack him in the back of his elongated head and then throw a grenade to kill the two grunts over there.

Those stories that are considered to be the best are simply ones that have been able to make you care about the other characters - either the hapless scientist dragged away through a vent or the teammate that's just been shot by your double-crossing commander.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Since we're back on this subject, who's seen the dead island trailer?

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think a game trailer belongs in this conversation at all. Movie trailers are short versions of movies, where game trailers are not short versions of the games. They're also short versions of movies.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Astroninja Studios wrote:

Since we're back on this subject, who's seen the dead island trailer?

Normal and reversed.  I don't recommend it if you've got a young daughter, or even niece.  Didn't entice me to want to play it.

Geoff pretty much sums up my feeling about the whole trailer.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Down in Front wrote:

Something occurred to me. I'd be really interested in reading "novelizations" of the top two or three stories present in video games, the ones used as a pillar in the argument that video games can clearly tell worthwhile stories, and see how they stack up against novelizations of some other proven storytelling genre.

Dragonlance. Yes, it's based on a pen and paper D&D game rather then a computer game, but the original trilogy is an adaptation of the original game modules. The writers played the game, giving the characters their takes on the intended personalities, then wrote down their version of the story. Lots of fun, and if you can do that with what was just a framework of encounters you should be able to do a good job with a video game that may have a movies worth of story cutscenes.

(there are some games where the "game" part is just getting in the way of the story the creators want to tell, but they had to include it to get funding)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Chris: I love you man; that video was exactly what I was thinking of.

Back to the topic at hand, I would lean toward the Halo novels.  I haven't read any of them, but Halo has a pretty good story line to begin with; I think that is what makes for a good tie in novel.

I love you to Matt.

And gaddamn, I need to start playing video games.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I don't mean a novelization, I mean basically a point by point recitation of "this is the story you experience when playing Halo," and put that next to a similar list for, like, A Few Good Men.

Generally, I'm trying to figure out what storytelling can possibly take place in the game-half of a modern game.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some old adventure games, like Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers where pretty good at that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Synopsis of Bioshock

Synopsis of the first Halo

Synopsis of Mass Effect

Synopsis of the first God of War

Synopsis of the first Metal Gear Solid

Synopsis of Grim Fandango

Synopsis of Ghostbusters: the Video Game

A game can involve as much storytelling as a movie -- more, even, since it isn't restricted to ~2 hours. It will generally be a certain kind of story, since there needs to be action for the players to control -- you're probably not going to find an apples-to-apples example for A Few Good Men -- but it's still as much an art form as any other storytelling endeavor.

redxavier wrote:

The function of the video game story is very different to those of other mediums. A video game doesn't tell you a story, it provides the framework for you to create your own. Aliens attack and you need to get to your ship. That's the generic framing, and you write the specifics yourself

How, precisely, is this not "telling you a story"? Sure, you have to decide how to get to your ship, but how is the bullet point "Aliens attack and Master Chief must get to his ship" somehow less of a story in a game summary than it would be in a movie summary?

The specifics are not really that important -- give two different directors that same line and you'll get two very different scenes telling the same story. How is it fundamentally different when you're "directing" as a game player than when watching what someone else has directed?

redxavier wrote:

Those stories that are considered to be the best are simply ones that have been able to make you care about the other characters - either the hapless scientist dragged away through a vent or the teammate that's just been shot by your double-crossing commander.

And again, how is that not fundamentally what makes a story good in any medium?

Also, I want to note that "art" and "story" are not necessarily synonymous (not that we've established a clear definition of "art" in the first place). Some puzzle games like Portal and Braid are works of art, IMO, based more on the craftsmanship involved in creating puzzles that can challenge your perception as much as an M.C. Escher drawing can, than on their stories (although Portal's story, while simple, is entertaining and effective).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Down in Front wrote:

Generally, I'm trying to figure out what storytelling can possibly take place in the game-half of a modern game.

Does Myst count as a modern game?

Sure.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, when I played Myst, I felt I was discovering a story of how the place I was exploring came to be, and the relationships of the characters behind it. I wasn't a protagonist in their story, but that didn't make it less interesting.

Plus, although I didn't get into it, a friend of mine who played Myst really enjoyed all the optional associated material in book form that went more into the backstory of the characters and the worlds they inhabited.

Keep in mindthis is coming from the non-gamer in this group. But I think a lot of games aproach storytelling from a very Kubrickian point of view. Where it's not so much about the point by point hits of a story, but about the experience of actually being there. I'm sure there are games out there that tell a "story" but it's much more about being in that situation and reacting to the surroundings inside this very basic construct of a story.

But like I said, I really need to start gaming, so feel free to shoot me down.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

*walks over, stands next to Maul*

*...takes off pants*

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So: the people here who do not play video games feel that they are the best suited to espouse on the storytelling capability and value of the video games we've just established they don't play, and to tell the people who do play video games that they are incorrect in their direct observations of the video games which, as mentioned, they actually play.

...oh, I get it. You guys are joking. You had me going for a second there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm not saying I'm best suited, nor have I.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:

So: the people here who do not play video games feel that they are the best suited to espouse on the storytelling capability and value of the video games we've just established they don't play, and to tell the people who do play video games that they are incorrect in their direct observations of the video games which, as mentioned, they actually play.

...oh, I get it. You guys are joking. You had me going for a second there.

maul2 wrote:

But like I said, I really need to start gaming, so feel free to shoot me down.

Oh I get it, your just being a douche today.

On the subject, I don't personally play games, but I am surrounded by 29 people daily who do game and talk about it constantly, and watch videos about it daily and every once and a while I get to watch them play. I've learned the basics by osmosis.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2011-02-25 23:57:22)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Down in Front wrote:

*walks over, stands next to Maul*

*...takes off pants*

Is this a...compliment...?

I'm confused.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

DorkmanScott wrote:
redxavier wrote:

The function of the video game story is very different to those of other mediums. A video game doesn't tell you a story, it provides the framework for you to create your own. Aliens attack and you need to get to your ship. That's the generic framing, and you write the specifics yourself

How, precisely, is this not "telling you a story"? Sure, you have to decide how to get to your ship, but how is the bullet point "Aliens attack and Master Chief must get to his ship" somehow less of a story in a game summary than it would be in a movie summary?

The specifics are not really that important -- give two different directors that same line and you'll get two very different scenes telling the same story. How is it fundamentally different when you're "directing" as a game player than when watching what someone else has directed?

And lets remember there are different styles of games. The Japanese RPGs are almost all story, heavy on character development and plot (depending, naturally). Track down Grandia 2, for example, for a great take on religion (and play all three for the best combat system ever). A first person shooter often is less about story, or at least it's easier for the player to not become that involved. In Half Life 2 I cared, while as I'm now playing Bioshock I really don't smile

In the end though it'll depend on what the player brings to it. Back in the day when playing the original Wizardry on the Apple //, all my characters had personalities and talked during combat and there was more "story" then in Ultima IV smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

maul2, to get u started play Psychonauts, PORTAL, Mass Effect, or motherfucking Red Dead Redemption

Last edited by MadBadCoyote (2011-02-27 16:58:11)

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have played Portal, I can say that much. But I'm waiting til I finish school before I start doing much else.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I have one question before I lay down my argument.  I think we are all in agreement that movies are a form of art. If that is so, can you broadly call ALL movies art?  Is Dumb and Dumber as much art as Citizen Kane?  I'm not sure, but I can tell you this; I know many people that would much rather watch Dumb and Dumber than Citizen Kane.  Does that say anything about the artistic value of either, or are both movies still art and its just a matter of taste and preference.  Is a scribble crayon drawing done by my toddler niece any less art than the Mona Lisa.  That crayon drawing has a whole lot more meaning to my niece than the Mona Lisa does.  My point is that art can be very hard to define sometimes and open perspective should always be considered when asking the question, "IS THIS ART?"

That being said, this is the way I see it.  (I stress that I am no authority on the subject except that I enjoy both movies and video games.) If movies are art, than video games have to be art. Because they share ALL of the same elements: Characters, story, setting, antagonists, protagonists, mythos, pathos, ethos, symbolism, etc. It's that simple. If you didn't know video games had all these elements, then you haven't been playing close attention to video games.  If at least some movies are art, than at least some video games are art.

That is my argument. However, that best arguments for video games being art that I have ever encountered have been voiced in the following two videos:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ … hing-Lives
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ … -Mechanics

Last edited by FireFighter214 (2011-03-02 05:41:44)

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up Thumbs down