Re: Are Video Games Art?

Squiggly_P wrote:

if you don't want to blow $60 on a game you're not sure about, you can always find someone doing a LP for it either on day one or the next day. ME3 had about a thousand videos on youtube by noon on the first day it was released. Most of them have pretty unintentionally funny commentary by hopeless 14 year old nerds as well.

I've been thinking about doing some for older and/or more obscure PSX and Saturn games, but I hate my voice. People will mock me.

Not that they don't already...

We would never mock you...insult maybe, but never mock wink

I haven't purchased a "new" video game in perhaps 5 years so I honestly can't speak to any of the latest stuff out there.  It definitely helps to have things like metacritic, and other websites for review. However, I rarely put stock in game reviews at the same time-I'm pretty easily entertained on that front. I'm pretty much stick with old stuff, like Halo or Star Wars: Battlefront. I've been meaning to try Starcraft 2 as well smile

@redeaxiver 70-80 US for a game? That's craziness.

As to the topic at hand, I have avoided weighing in as I don't really feel qualified to make an opinion on art. I certainly see plenty of opinions flying about as we are want to do on this forum smile

I will say that aspects of video games can be art, specifically the visual design work, interfacing and sound work. If a game is done right, then the production if often similar to that of a movie, in that you need actors, visual department, and sometimes a story, depending on the game.

But, unlike a movie, a game must be developed for a person to play and engage in, otherwise people rage quit.

Perhaps there should be a category of art called "interactive art," where the art must be built to be engaged by humans and not just in a mental capacity.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

I've been meaning to try Starcraft 2 as well smile

clap

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

We would never mock you...insult maybe, but never mock  wink

+1
also, I'm just gonna throw this in here
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/071/7/c/mass_effect_3_reactions__non_spoilery__by_ghostfire-d4sip1q.jpg

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For those interested, there's a Diablo 3 Open Beta going on until Monday. You have today and tomorrow to play Diablo 3 until lvl 13 with whatever character(s) you want.

I played it for a few hours last night.

Then I cried myself to sleep.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

You didn't like it?

I've been in the beta for about six months; it's certainly on my pre-order list.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

RE: "I hate my voice" -- one of the most popular radio personalities in the U.S. is Ira Glass, who has one of the worst radio voices I can think of. If he can do it, anyone can.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I hate his voice so hard.

Stupid successful asshole.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Joss is supposed to be on Ira's show this weekend.

edit, sorry, it's a re-run.
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a … -the-crime

edited edity edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM3Hme36g0s

Last edited by drewjmore (2012-04-21 19:58:13)

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love Ira Glass. Diane Rehm, on the other hand, makes me want to fill my ears in with concrete.

Dave wrote:
Squiggly_P wrote:

You didn't like it?

I've been in the beta for about six months; it's certainly on my pre-order list.

I'm still in the early part of the game. I've got a lvl 6 Barbarian going right now. The game suffers from what I may as well dub "Modern Gaming Syndrome". What I've seen so far is that the game is going to do everything for me, and my job is just to follow the flashing arrows and click on bad guys.

Now, the previous games did the exact same thing, but I loved them. But the previous games were more about building a character the way you wanted and collecting and crafting loot and stuff to make the most bad-ass character you could. There were elements of strategy to the skill tree and combat. This was the fun part of Diablo 2. They have apparently removed it entirely from Diablo 3. They basically took Diablo 2 and removed the fun part.

Combat in Diablo 2 had a variety to it. You often had to be very careful about how you were approaching a situation. Some enemies you could just kill the hell out of. Some enemies would run away from you while taking pot-shots. Some enemies would attack en-mass and try to stab you in the face as a group. You'd often go up against enemies that would attack you in melee while others would hang back and shoot things at you. It was all random, but the various enemy types for each stage felt very well balanced and worked together well, playing up each other's strengths and make up for each other's weaknesses. Sometimes the only strategy that will work is just "Load up on health potions and town portal scrolls and slog through it".

Combat in Diablo 3, thus far for me, has been "run up to stuff and hit it". There has been no variation on enemy tactics at all. Enemies all (FUCKING ALL OF THEM) go down in one hit most of the time, with the exception of the little mini-boss dudes. Nothing has shot anything at me yet at all, with the exception of the little bat-dudes that shoot lightning. You can take 5 or 6 enemies out with one slash. I have not once used a health potion. NOT ONCE. The game drops ludicrous amounts of gold and loot. I've already got something like 150 or so total armor rating and several thousand gold.

I was so ready to love this game and I was in a state of glee the whole time the beta was installing. That was the high point. Everything after that has been disappointing. I didn't rage-quit like I have with so many other 'big' games recently, but after a couple hours I was just bored. I patiently waited for the next waypoint to reveal itself (since there are no town portals, apparently? These guys did play the previous games before making this, right?) and when I finally did get back to town I went to save the game and realized there was no 'save' thing anywhere in the menu.

So I just said 'fuck it' and quit. I'm about to go back and continue, but if it didn't autosave then I'll probably just say 'fuck it' again and that'll be the last time I ever play Diablo 3.

But the art is amazing. It might be worth buying just to see all the eye-candy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I cannot stand the silky dulcet tones of Garrison Keillor.  I don't know what dark pact he signed in which millennia that compels me to listen to A Prairie Home Companion with semi-regularity, but my love/hate relationship with Keillor's voice will probably last, and send me, to my grave.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The beta is designed to be linear, easy, and fast. It's effectively a tutorial, and set at an easy difficulty. Hell, the randomization has only recently been worked in.

But the mechanics are solid, the gearing and crafting is fun. It's Diablo.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I rather enjoy listening to Keillor, particularly The News from Lake Wobegone, which, sadly due to my work schedule, is the only part of the show I'm able to catch these days (iTunes feed).  As much as I enjoy listening to him, he does have a kind of hypnotic effect which tends to put me to sleep.

ARMA 3 is looking a bit special.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

big_smile  Proper Vehicle and Ragdoll physics!! Underwater combat!! Real Muzzle Flashes! Oh man I can't wait to see what the map creator community does with this, there's some amazing potential, especially with the underwater stuff. We can finally recreate the ending of Thunderball in videogame form! If they're modelling underwater, I wonder if it'd be a stretch to add submarines to the game? Full on naval battle tactics would be so cool to try out.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I hope thy don't add too many new features, to be honest... I've already got precious few unbound keys on my keyboard in Arma 2...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

At least they're keeping it focused as a milsim; they've brought over the physics model from Take on Helicopters which is pretty damn sweet.

Last edited by Dave (2012-06-02 02:29:41)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Again, the thing that counts with ARMA is the engine improvements. I don't give a damn what they do in terms of missions and features, because I'll be playing custom online clan missions anyway, and there'll probably be a whole series of realism mods on top of it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Bit of necromancy here so apologies, but with E3 currently on, there's been all sorts of new games trailers/videos featuring lately and I just had to share them, two in particular that have really caught my eye as being really creative and immersive.

Watch Dogs:

Tom Clancy's Division

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Between The Division, WatchDogs, and Destiny, seems like inter-connected Day-Z style coop games will be the future of next-gen gaming

Thumbs up Thumbs down