Topic: Star Trek Into Darkness

I linked to the Japanese trailer for the extra ten seconds and obvious throwback to, well... you'll know when you see it. Thoughts? Cumberbatch looks excellent.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Re: Star Trek Into Darkness

It's weird to say, but I have absolutely no feelings about this movie at all. I'll go see it, but I just have no feelings about it. It's looks like it will be a thing...so...okay.

It's hard to describe.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'm pretty psyched. As someone who is in no way a Star Trek fan, I have enough distance that I can get excited for this movie without all the "THIS ISN'T RODDENBERRY'S VISION!!!!!!" whining.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

It's weird to say, but I have absolutely no feelings about this movie at all. I'll go see it, but I just have no feelings about it. It's looks like it will be a thing...so...okay.

It's hard to describe.

I feel exactly the same way. I really enjoyed the last film, but I just can't get excited about this? Between hype for this and the Hobbit I am just too tired.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd say the same...I did actually really enjoy the first one, and I'm not by any means a Star Trek fanboy... but I've only heard about Into Darkness maybe 3 or 4 times. In my little universe there's been no marketing for it. Actually until I saw the video in the Cool Videos thread I'd actually completely forgotten it was a thing.

The Hobbit on the other hand, I am so freaking excited for!! (I'm actually getting the art book for Christmas...presuming it gets here in time... yeah... my family doesn't really do the whole suprise christmas present thing So PSYCHED!!!)

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2012-12-07 04:58:54)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I've watched this trailer somewhere in the neighborhood of twenty times today. I am VERY excited for this movie. I have certain apprehensions about some of the things they're showing, but mostly I'm just stoked. I love the first Abrams Trek to pieces, so a second helping unencumbered by the prequel/reboot plot gymnastics of last time, and enCumberbatched, villain-wise, is just such an exciting prospect.

I just hope they don't push the whole "Into Darkness" thing too far. There aren't enough fun movies anymore. Especially action and sci-fi.

Last edited by C-Spin (2012-12-07 05:07:18)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

This is how I feel about pretty much every movie now. I basically consider it part of my job to see movies like this and HOBBIT and the like, but I don't get hyped about them anymore.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

...I need to make a modification to my last statement.... BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH EVERYWHERE!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I think I figured out what happened here. All of my love that would have been going towards Into Darkness, instead got directly funneled into the sheer epicness that is the Cumberbatch and there was none left for the movie. It makes so much sense!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I don't get hyped any more. I do want to see Star Step Into Christmas or whatever it's called but I'll see it when  I see it. The Hobbit is not my thing so I'm really not in a rush to see that smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't get hyped about movies anymore.

It kind of blows, but it also kind of doesn't.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

I don't get hyped any more. I do want to see Star Step Into Christmas or whatever it's called but I'll see it when  I see it. The Hobbit is not my thing so I'm really not in a rush to see that smile

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3i2grSLfV1r2l4oko1_1280.png

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Mmm, the erotic fanfiction I could write about that man...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Why is it bull........ Oh, never mind. big_smile

That reminds me, I must watch Sherlock at some time smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

I do want to see Star Step Into Christmas or whatever it's called but I'll see it when  I see it.

I'm going to start calling it "STAR TREK 2 THE STREETS."

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I have no idea what's going on here.

Star Trek 2 has a confusing fucking trailer.

Who's the guy with no eyebrows, and why is Star Trek also a kung fu film?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:
Jimmy B wrote:

I do want to see Star Step Into Christmas or whatever it's called but I'll see it when  I see it.

I'm going to start calling it "STAR TREK 2 THE STREETS."

That actually works. Nice. I hear the third film will be in 3D.....

Oh, wait......

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Its just fundamentally not what I want out of a Star Trek film. One of the only mainstream franchises that bothered to have interesting science fiction ideas and not be just a blow-them-all-up action film, and they've turned it into a blow-them-all-up action film.

It looks cool and really flashy, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it a lot (assuming it isn't riddled with stupid shit like the last one), but it just seems like a bit of wasted potential.

It's tough though, cause I suspect I just instinctively have trouble accepting a young cast. The thing I always loved about Star Trek was the idea of these old-age professionals out of their prime dealing with dangerous situations and having to count on their experience and gut instinct to survive. Same reason I love the Battlestar reboot. When it's a bunch of cocky teenagers, it's a lot harder to root for them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's certainly a teaser! I'm quite impressed that they managed to show me all this footage and restrain themselves from revealing any of the story (I've not read anything about it so can't also put it into any context).

I have no feelings about it at the moment, it does look quite action-y, but no doubt I'll be there in line when it gets released.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love Trek and thought the '09 movie is one of the best of the series so have very high hopes for this

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

It's the movie singularity. Given long enough, every franchise ends up converging to the same 'plosions, chas'n with guns, WWF punch-up, action schlockfests template.

Last edited by avatar (2012-12-07 11:44:04)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I really liked the last one, but this looks so blue and dark and angsty (with big angry action), which is not what I want from these new Star Trek movies.

Don't give me a dark middle chapter type movie, give me a big goofy fun movie with some interesting underlying ideas. The last one was just fun to watch, and there's nothing here that looks fun.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Didn't we just have a whole Star Trek movie about some dude trying to wreak havoc in the name of vengeance? WHY NOT MAKE THEM STEAL A WHALE, JJ ABRAMS?

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

Didn't we just have a whole Star Trek movie about some dude trying to wreak havoc in the name of vengeance? WHY NOT MAKE THEM STEAL A WHALE, JJ ABRAMS?

Ditto for Skyfall and Dark Knight Rises

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Ditto for Skyfall and Dark Knight Rises

EXACTLY! Why not make Bond stop a Chinese-German guano farmer with metal hands who is planning to disrupt a space launch, Sam Mendes?

And why not make Batman go up against/get romanced by Catwoman, who is in league with three other villains, and have a hard time getting rid of a bomb, Christopher No— Oh wait, that happened.

Last edited by Zarban (2012-12-07 15:32:27)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I can't wait for the scene where Cumberbatch's character gets captured and held captive on the Enterprise, but it was actually part of his plan all along!

Thumbs up Thumbs down