Re: Pacific Rim

http://i.imgur.com/6aUdSY0.jpg

Unfortunately, the site censors swears, so "Red Faced Motherfucker" was out of the question.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Aha! Trey finally figured out what Tumblr is for.

It's pictures!

bullet3 wrote:

Boy do I kind of hate this movie, and the internet in general. I cannot believe that THIS is the horse the fanboys decided to die on and hold up as some big original blockbuster we should be supporting.

Dorkman is being nice, I'll come out and just say it. Not only is this not all it's being hyped up to be, it's a flat out BAD movie. Awful characters, awful dialogue, the story is ludicrously stupid. That last one is sort of a given going in, it's true, but I'd let it slide if everything else worked. The biggest problem by far though is the pacing and action sequences, which was what really blind-sided me. The actual fights in this movie combined are maybe 30 minutes of the running time if I'm being generous. In between, we're subjected to the most vanilla, stereotypical characters, spouting awful dialogue at each other for 90 minutes. On top of that, all the fights are shot either in heavy rain, or underwater, so you can't even follow the action very well half the time. WTF del toro? Never did I think the action would let down the movie like this, but man did I not give a shit during that climactic battle, and boy was it not particularly exciting.

Big let down for me, even going in with lowered expectations. The year of disappointment continues.

I second all the above. I saw it in the last row of IMAX and had no idea what was going on in the action scenes. Too fast, too blurry, too zoomed in, too many cuts, too shaky. The characters were awful except for the old Aussie and young flashback girl (& Ron Perlman of course). The dialogue was cringeworthy. The actors were bland. The story was dumb and predictable, but that was expected. But the action was poorly directed and that's the biggest disappointment. Maybe it'd look better on a laptop screen at 10 yards' distance.

not long to go now...

I dig the hell out of the Tokyo setpiece (easily the best big-screen robot action that's ever been achieved), but aside from that the movie really has nothing going for it. The finale, which should be the big escalation that really knocks you on your ass, is hugely underwhelming. Since it's all underwater, you lose all sense of scale to the robots/monsters, and you can barely make out the designs, or even tell the mechs apart at times (I got confused several times here).

SPOILER Show
Particularly disappointing from Del Toro because he's usually good at upping the ante for the final battle (see hellboy 2 and blade 2), and he missed the perfect opportunity to have the final battle take place in the other dimension, with monsters coming out of every-which direction.

It's just a bummer, because if the finale was stronger, and you were rooting for the characters in this as much as you do for Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum at the end of Independence Day, it could've been a really great blockbuster, but as it is I don't see most people giving a shit about this movie in 2 years.

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-07-17 01:06:49)

Really don't know what you guys are on about with the action being incomprehensible. I found it perfectly easy to understand what was going on at all times, and so has pretty much everyone else I've talked to about it. I guess this is just subjective experience talking.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Really don't know what you guys are on about with the action being incomprehensible. I found it perfectly easy to understand what was going on at all times, and so has pretty much everyone else I've talked to about it. I guess this is just subjective experience talking.

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af329/pat_san/Scena18.jpg

Barbossa: What now, Jack Sparrow? Are we to be two immortals, locked in an epic battle until Judgment Day and trumpets sound?
Jack: Or you could surrender.

Edited for Teague's sake wink

Last edited by fireproof78 (2013-07-17 04:50:49)

God loves you!

*"and trumpets sound"

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Something that confused me that they spend most of the film ineffectively punching things and get dragged 50,000 feet into the air before Mako finally bothers to mention that they have a sword. In fact, they have two of them. That seems like something you should mention up front.
EDIT: Further realization:  Raleigh is literally inside her brain, he can see her memories, he should fucking know they have swords, and he's experienced enough to know they should be using them. Why punch things? They could have saved like half of Tokyo (or where ever that was) if they have been stabbing and cutting instead,

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2013-07-20 08:15:43)

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Swords were totally OP so they nerfed them after the Mark-3 run.

Everything Trey said.

Also: next time, lead with the chest rockets and plasma cannon. Follow up with the punching as necessary.

Also also: I so wanted them to suit up that bulldog and have him control half of a jaeger. Who better to fight tenaciously and have a perfect mental connection with than man's best friend? Next time, del Toro!

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Yes, real-world logic dictates you always lead with your best weapon.

Hollywood logic (& computer game logic) dictates that you use your best weapon last.

not long to go now...

That never makes sense to me either. If you're trying to build tension and suspense, you have the heroes lead with their best weapon, then get it immediately destroyed or be ineffective. Now the audience is thinking 'well shit how are they gonna get out of this now?". Like how in Predator, the team starts off using miniguns and grenade launchers and are barely able to scratch the Predator. So then when Arnie is going up against it with just a bow and arrow at the end, he feels completely outmatched, and you're actually questioning if he's going to be able to survive this. Imagine how lame that movie would be if he pulled out some secret rocket launcher at the end to save the day.

I herd they may have Charlie Day as the Villain In Pacific Rim 2 I don't know how to feel about that

I'm Batman