Re: Alien 3

Have no problem about killing Hicks & Newt. I never think of this film as sequel to Aliens, but rather the second sequel to Alien. It's a noble, flawed attempt at a follow up to Ridley Scott's classic.

Trey's point about 'why not lock the Alien out & wait for rescue' actually /misses/ the narrative drive he claimed was missing. Ripley's motivation is to destroy the Alien before the Company gets there, coz she knows they won't kill it but weaponise it. That's why she can't just wait it out. You can argue about its legitimacy, but it's front & centre as a proposed drive.

And being a Brit I could tell all the prisoners were straight off the bat smile

Yes Alien3 is flawed. Yes the almost-a-director's cut is much better. But I really like it. It's my third fave. The fourth film doesn't even chart...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Malak wrote:

Trey's point about 'why not lock the Alien out & wait for rescue' actually /misses/ the narrative drive he claimed was missing. Ripley's motivation is to destroy the Alien before the Company gets there, coz she knows they won't kill it but weaponise it. That's why she can't just wait it out.

A very good point, that.    There is sometimes a downside to doing a commentary for a movie you haven't seen in a while, and that you're not closely watching while commenting upon.  smile

So my answer is, yeah, you're right.  Ripley knows she's doomed so her goal isn't survival this time, it's to stop the Company from getting what it wants.    Sold.   

And again, if Alien 3 was just a movie and not the third ALIEN movie, I would probably have loved it when I saw it the first time.    It's just that at the time the tonal shift from the second movie was just too abrupt to swallow.

I think I said it best in the commentary by drawing the analogy to original Star Wars, as if the first two movies were the same and then Return of the Jedi started with Han and Luke talking about Leia's funeral.     On the other hand, one of the few things that the SW prequels got right was that they set out to tell a tragic tale right from the very beginning, and spent all three movies telling THAT tale, rather than two movies of adventure that suddenly turned tragic in the third movie.   (Whether that tale was worth telling, or was told competently, well... those are different issues.) 

Someone mentioned the body count in the final Harry Potter novel, and my response to that is that the Potter books all have a dark undercurrent to them, and always hinted that the final showdown with Voldemort was unavoidable.   It was repeatedly underscored that while Harry and co. might win a skirmish here and there, they were just postponing the inevitable.    So it wasn't a surprise when things got bad, the only question was exactly how bad was it gonna get?

So again, artistically I got no problem with telling a sad story, and over time I've come to admire Alien 3 in its own right, but I still think it was an unwelcome departure from the direction the series had been headed before then.

For me, the abrupt tonal shift from Aliens was exacerbated by the fact that the story ended up being a boring variation on the original (bunch of folks without weapons trapped with an alien). But since Ridley Scott's film did it so much better this third one became an inferior imitation.

Further, Ripley isn't very Ripley like in this one. I mean, if you were watch all 3 in a marathon you'd see her character changed too much in the third. And it's not all down to her post-crash/loss of Newt frame of mind in the story... I hate to say it, but Sigourney Weaver's performance feels forced and phoned in - rather like Harrison Ford's in Return of the Jedi. I get the impression that she was tiring of the role and longed for it to be over.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Clearly the controversy over the killing of Newt & co will rage forever - just this week Cracked put it at #3 on their list of The Five Worst Deaths Written For Great Characters.

Captain Kirk also makes their list, and I heartily agree with that as well.

Kirk died?

Huh.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, since we're on the subject (kind of), here's how I feel about Resurrection:

It was a half-decent episode of "Firefly."

I have no inside info about how much of Whedon's script survived the production process intact. But the line between Resurrection's motley crew and the gang from his later TV work is pretty straight, seems to me.

I have this theory. Any movie with either Dan Hedaya or Abe Vigoda in it cannot, by definition, be a bad movie. ("Joe vs. the Volcano," therefore, is a masterpiece of postwar cinema, and I'll tolerate no dissent on that point.) Alien Resurrection has Dan Hedaya in it, and he is marvelous, and he gives us the series' most fundamentally fucked-up-creepy moment. Yes, I'm referring to where he reaches up, pulls out a still-warm piece of his own brain and stoically contemplates it. I still have nightmares, man.

So by the Hedaya-Vigoda Law, Alien Resurrection cannot be a bad movie. But it's not a good movie either. Because it's not really about anything. There are some guys, and a weirdo half-breed chick who plays basketball very well and has emo nailpolish, and a gratuitous thong shot, and some aliens, and … well, that's really about it. It's got clever moments, but no actual theme to speak of, which is what makes it different from the other three movies in the series.

So above-average monster movie, really appallingly awful "Alien" movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Interesting, I thought the General's death in Arection was one of it's worst moments. The whole sequence feels off, and is much better as it was written in an earlier script (which frankly is superior in almost every way to the finished product, it completely removes all the inane newborn-Ripley relationship).

Arection had the wrong director and the wrong crew behind the design. It might be stylish but unfortunately this particularly quirky style only makes the film feel even more insubstantial. That the plot is essentially Jurassic Park on a space ship with aliens does it no favours either.

Ironically, the approximate premise, the concept of humans trying and failing to exploit the aliens, is the direction that Alien3 should have gone. But then I'm a big believer in the idea that sequels should expand on what has gone before, not regurgitate (which is why I don't think Terminator 2 and 3 are as good as the first).

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. (Well, almost.) I wasn't saying Resurrection was a GOOD movie. Just that it was above-average for its generally terrible genre, and that it wasn't complete and utter shite like some people say.

Which I guess is kind of like damning with faint praise.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My favorite commentaries are the movies where there are mixed feelings, and everybody has a slightly different view to bring to the table. Getting as off topic as the commentary did, I loved the conversation about the original studio system, but I wonder, why can't the new digital filmmaking wave be just like those early days of cinema? Someone has an idea for a movie, gets a camera, gets some actors, maybe a tortilla factory, and makes a movie. Then they can put it on youtube for the world to see. Nobody has to give them permission.

Also, you left out one of the biggest reasons Hollywood chooses movies the way it does. Sure, there's development people middling around, executives who think "Die Hard in a building" is a fresh idea, and there's the conservative choices anyone would make when putting a hundred million dollars on the line, but there's also exhibition contracts:

Maybe this isn't true across the board, but what I heard during the time I worked at a theater was that studios get the highest cut of the opening weekend grosses. The second weekend, they get a smaller percentage, and it diminishes after that.

Think about how this ruins everything. To maximize profits, studios actually want a movie that's going to open huge based on the title alone, or the fact that it's 3-d, and then bomb when people realize how terrible it actually is. That way, people will forget about each one in time for the next blockbuster. They don't want word of mouth to spread so the numbers can peak later in the release, when those ticket sales are going to the theater owners instead. There's financial incentives against making good movies, except to save appearances when awards are on the line. It's better business for the studio to have one absurd flashy and forgettable train wreck for every week of the year.

As a side effect of this practice in filmmaking, movie profits bottom out before theaters can make their profits, so the only way they're able to stay open is on concessions. That, boys and girls, is why they charge us seven dollars for a box of Red Vines.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Movies can be made that way today, Tim. "Paranormal Activity" is a great example. But as with all disruptive technologies, the challenge is figuring out how to stop disrupting stuff and start being productive. Right now there's not really much middle ground. On the one end of the scale we have RvD; on the other, we have "Avatar." It remains to be seen how the new technologies are gonna trickle up.

What you said about exhibition is really interesting. I didn't know the thing about front-loading revenues, but it makes sense. But I've also heard from what are probably unreliable sources that home video makes up a huge chunk of the revenue from your average feature these days. I can't come up with any examples right now, but I've heard of movies that were objective flops making their money back and a nice profit after the DVD dollars started rolling in. If true, this actually bodes well. If there's money to be made in the long tail, then maybe there's a financial incentive for the market to get bigger.

And don't even get me frickin' started on the half-hour of ads before the trailers even start. GRR.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TimK wrote:

I wonder, why can't the new digital filmmaking wave be just like those early days of cinema? Someone has an idea for a movie, gets a camera, gets some actors, maybe a tortilla factory, and makes a movie. Then they can put it on youtube for the world to see. Nobody has to give them permission.

All of the above is happening now, yes.  But  let's say you do all those things - which of course people ARE doing, more and more every day.    There's just one missing ingredient:  How does the world find out your thing exists?

This is the nut that remains uncracked in the digital self-produced webamajig business:  Nobody can guarantee their work of genius will actually find an audience online.    Dorkman, Brian and I have all made videos that have racked up millions of online views.   But none of us knew - or even dreamed, really - that would happen.  Until it did.     

None of could have gone to a studio beforehand and said "I am going to make a movie that will become phenomenally popular on the internet, so you should fund it."    Or in TV, the money comes from advertisers, and they pay for eyeballs.  They won't pay a dime in advance unless you can reasonably guarantee them those eyeballs.   

While 20th Century Fox and NBC etc, can't fully guarantee millions of eyeballs either, they have a far better shot at doing it reliably than Dorkman, Brian, and I do.      Television stations can tell advertisers that their ads will appear in front of at least X human beings, because they know how many people will be watching their channel no matter what they're showing.   And if what they show is actually popular, then the numbers only go up. 

So while it's true than virtually anyone can potentially find an audience of millions nowadays, Old Media still has the advantage of being able to do it on a regular basis.   And that's still the only way to get decent money to make your project.   

Until that nut gets cracked, the internet will continue to have an occasional low-budget breakout hit from among the ten million other bits of video that were released that day.   But no one will ever make an Avatar or a Lost or a Dark Knight or an Iron Man or (insert big budget movie or TV show you like) under that system.

Alright I gotta say this, but as a Harry potter fan i gotta stick up for this...as petty and insignificant as it may be.

Teague brought up the whole thing that JK Rowling was like "I'm gonna kill off one of the mains" and yadda yadda. Then Eddie comes in with that she killed off one of the Weasleys, I would like to submit a formal complaint that the giant uproar was about Dumbledores death in the 6th book not the million or so deaths in the 7th.

Thank you that is all.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

To be fair, though, killing off Dumblydore was only really shocking the first time they did it … in Lord of the Rings. When he was named Gandalf.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Really? You try telling that to the millions of horrified children JK Rowling scarred for life.

Although to be honest beside the fact that they are both old wizards I fail to see a resemblance. Now if Dumbledore had managed somehow to come back to life in the next book and save the day...maybe you might have a case, but otherwise dude, you got nothin.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I think I need to be more explicit about when I'm expressing a sincerely held opinion and when I'm being facetious because I'm feeling silly.

That? Was the latter.

The Gandalf/Obiwan/Mr. Miyagi/Merlin/President Bartlet/Benjamin Franklin/The Oracle/Dumbledore archetype is a very old one indeed. Sometimes he dies, leaving the hero with a thousand faces to rise to meet his destiny alone. Sometimes his death is merely metaphorical; sometimes it's literal. Sometimes he comes back, sometimes he doesn't, whatever. The fact that it's an archetype doesn't diminish the individual exemplars' power as characters in their respective stories … except when it does, because some stories suck.

Also? I like the Harry Potter books. I have them all in hardcover. The movies are generally pretty poor adaptations, though, unfortunately.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think I need to make a clearer distinction between when I'm assuming that when I respond to a facetious comment with another facetious comment in the attempt to carry on a facetious conversation, that others will actually play along and when I'm expressing a sincerely held opinion. That was the former.

<SINCERITY FOLLOWS>

Yah, I loooove the books, but the movies just basically take them out to the back and rape them a few times...and not in the good way.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2010-05-14 02:49:52)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Oh goddammit. Really? You were being funny too? We suck.

I wouldn't object to the movies THAT strongly. My problem with two through eleven — or whatever we're up to now — is that they're basically a more-or-less accurate adaptation of the plot of the books, but not the essence of the books. They weren't translated for the screen so much as transliterated, and came out feeling perfunctory to me.

The first one's fun, though. It captured the whole feel of Hogwarts and whatnot, and I liked that. I've got the DVD around here somewhere, I think.

Thumbs up Thumbs down