Re: The other Doctor Who thread. With a poll!

...Fantastic.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fcw wrote:

In which case, I'd be interested to know your reaction to the events of Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. Watching the show as it was broadcast, this was the first time I saw River Song. I've been wondering whether seeing the rest of her story first changes the impact of this one, particularly if you don't know it's coming.

Whoops, forgot to answer this last time. Sorry.

I didn't know it was coming, and yeah, it did have some impact knowing who she was already. I'd say both ways to go with it are interesting, because there's an impact either way.

By the way, I'm kinda coming back to Teague's viewing order. A second friend of mine got curious about DW, so this time I tried making him start with series 1. He told me it was boring, and that he'd try with series 5. Maybe it still won't be his thing, but it made me realize that starting with series 1 when you don't know the first thing about DW can be harder than you'd think it would be.

When I watched series 5, it got me really excited. I loved the humour, the character, and the amazing picture. Going back to series 1, I didn't care about the overall "older", "cheaper" tone. I have to admit, just as MasterZap said, I didn't really love Rose's environment. But I was thrilled anyway, because I wanted to know so much more about the Doctor. And what better way to begin than with Eccleston and his "I just got out of the Time War" Doctor?

So yeah. I think this is actually pretty clever, and in the future, I might stick to beginning with Smith.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Starting with Smith means you get to start with higher production values and overall better acting that series 1. The problem then is going back to "when it was crap for a while there". Which it wasn't. It's always been silly and low budget, and should be viewed as such. How many episodes did he watch? If he got to "The Empty Child" and still didn't like the show, odds are he won't at all.

EDIT:

My viewing order was Eleventh Hour, and THEN Rose. Both after I got the general gist of the show from the Rowan Atkinson 1999 comedy special. I liked Smith enough, liked Eccleston even more. Once you know how the show works, you appreciate the characters and story over the production value.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2013-01-23 18:51:34)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:

Once you know how the show works, you appreciate the characters and story over the production value.

We're in agreement here, I just see the first part of your sentence as "one series" instead of "one episode". Basically, it's the same thing, except you get to finish a season instead of stopping right in the middle, which is harder to ask your friends to do. That's how I went with the first friend I showed DW to, but he liked Smith so much he just continued with series 6 and 7.

I absolutely don't see DW's first series as "when it was crap for a while", but I think it's harder to get your friends not to see it this way. That's where Smith's era can help.

Last edited by Saniss (2013-01-23 19:14:33)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down