Re: What are you playing?

In a real world analogue though..if you went on all those adventures and idd all those things and lived to tell, you would be good at everything as well.  You earn it.  My Nightblade is only lvl 52.  When I wanted different playstyles, I just rerolled different races and started from scratch.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Which brings us to the subject of mods; the real reason behind the Elder Scrolls longevity.

There are plenty of mods out there designed to make the later stages of the game harder (such as http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/14449), or to tweak the experience in any way you like.

Last edited by Dave (2013-01-05 01:25:02)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bigmoneygrip wrote:

I'm a big Mass Effect series fan.  The third one has its flaws, but if you've played the series and, in particulary, kept everybody alive, the emotional payoff in three is hard to beat.

If only any of it had mattered....    :(

Also I forgot to mention Black Mesa. It's free and it's the best game I've played this year.

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So after listening to the recommendations episode and watching the indie game movie on netflix, I decided to finally purchase Super Meat Boy. Its as much fun as I thought it would be, and even more frustrating at certain parts. Other than that lately I've mostly just been playing League of Legends with friends, and the occasional game of Team Fortress 2. Been meaning to start playing SC2 again though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

Which brings us to the subject of mods; the real reason behind the Elder Scrolls longevity.

There are plenty of mods out there designed to make the later stages of the game harder (such as http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/14449), or to tweak the experience in any way you like.

I already pointed it out on the previous page.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes but you said it with a Norwegian accent, which nobody understood.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

I didn't even get halfway through the main quest until I was level 47.  MY main character is a sneaky assasin type who uses illusion magic (nightblade build, essentially) but with points in destruction magic and archery.  So I became Dean of the College of Winterhold first, then became leader of the Assassins Guild, then I got Mehrune's Razor, then the Mace of Molog Bal, then the Sanguine Rose staff (perfect for fighting dragons), then I became leader of the Thieves Guild (the Nightengale Hood has an awesome Illusion buff), THEN I finished the main quest.  Then I became a Werewolf.

This brings me back to when I played Morrowind the first time. When you first start the game, a dude gives you a package and sends you off to meet a man, and this starts you on the main storyline. I walked out the door, promptly got distracted and forgot all about this. Much much later, after I've maxed out all of my attributes and most of my relevant skills, acquired and enchanted a set of kick ass armor and weapons and other magic doodads, slayed a few gods, etc... I notice I've still got this package in my inventory and decide to figure out what the hell that's about. So I flip through my journal (Morrowind didn't have a quest log or even quest markers, when important shit happened, it put an entry in your journal. A quest entry would mention what you're supposed to do and where you were supposed to do it and who you were doing it for. Entries were chronological.) all the way back to the first entry on the first page where I discovered that this game did indeed have a main quest for me to be doing. Oops.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

haha, that's pretty much how I played Oblivion. I knew there was this quest concerning the death of the Emperor, but beside from that, I don't think I ever cleared the main storyline.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I still haven't completed the Skyrim main quest with 100+ hours logged in - no idea how it ends. On my rerolled character I started as Winter closed in last year, I began the game with a mod that randomly started me on the map (so I don't have to play the 'tutorial' level again) and after reaching the low 20s I've still yet to even activate the main quest since I've not gone near Helgen. Not a dragon in sight smile

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

that sounds like fun, actually.

You know what'd be really cool, though? A mod that actually made the storyline quests progress with or without you. Not there when the dragon attacked the tower outside Whiterun? Oops, nobody know's you're dragonborn. Not around to stop Alduin? Well, goodbye most of the world.

It'd be cool if someone modded the game to account for your NOT being there. I mean, the game is just scripted events. A quest won't activate unless you're in a given area, and even then, the time doesn't matter. they all just wait around for you.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As I started playing it again, it just occurred to me that the game Amnesia : The Dark Descent has never been mentioned here.

http://uppix.net/3/d/6/6a8b708caa30ef9ea87938454d4c7.jpg

Amnesia : The Dark Descent is a first-person survival horror game released for PC in 2011. I'll let Wikipedia explain what it talks about :

Wikipedia wrote:

In late August in the year 1839, Daniel, a young man from London, awakens in the dark halls of the Prussian Brennenburg Castle with little to no memory about himself or his past. All he can remember is his name, that he lives in Mayfair and that something is hunting him. Shortly after awakening, Daniel discovers a note written to himself, from which he learns that he has deliberately erased his own memory, and that he needs to descend into the Inner Sanctum of the castle to kill the Baron, Alexander.

It has the particularity of never involving shooting. The game shares similar mechanics with point-and-click games, using your mouse as a hand to open doors, light candles, pick up objects (if you have played Penumbra, it works exactly the same way), etc. Obstacles to progression are mostly puzzles, sometimes involving physics. You have an object inventory, and can collect notes as you find them along the way, revealing the story.

This is where it gets very interesting: not only does Daniel have a health bar, he also has a sanity bar. When you spend too much time in the darkness, or witness weird events (such as, say, monsters following you), your sanity decreases. Your vision gets all messed up, you can't walk straight, you can even hear your head pounding.

The game focuses on this particular point: darkness is everywhere, light sources are scarce. Early in the game, you pick up a lantern, but oil is hard to find and you must use it sparingly. Darkness is your best ally at times, too: monsters won't fin you in the dark. But your sanity doesn't like it. Etc.

Developed by independent small team, Amnesia : The Dark Descent is to this day the most amazing experience I've ever had with a video game. The atmosphere is amazing, with great visuals playing with the constant back-and-forth between light and dark. The sound design is incredible, and this is a game one should play with headphones on. Daniel himself is very much alive, his breathing getting louder as he gets more scared. The music is great and immediately gets you in the right mood (being scared to death, that is).

Here's a trailer that's actually gameplay only :

This is a rare experience. Most of my friends never got passed the first 15 minutes because they were too scared. I finished it back then in three sessions, always torn between stopping for a while because I was too damn scared, and going on because the story was too interesting. I am particulary fond of games that are able to tell you a great story and get you immersed in an universe, an atmosphere. The Half-Life series always did that to me, and Amnesia does it too, with the addition of a constant oppression. I find it to be way more memorable than games that simply give you jump scares from time to time. The castle and its depths are the perfect setting for such a game, and as you progress through the story, you can only grow more uneasy.

I highly recommend it. It is something like $15 on Steam right now, and there's a demo too, if you want to try it out. As I said before, this is a game that should be played with headphones on, and in the dark for a maximum effect. I started writing this post right after playing it for an hour. Heart is pounding, legs and hands are shaking.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Forgot about this thread.

Just started playing Borderlands. Only about 2 hours in so far, but I'm loving the ever living shit out of it thus far.

ZangrethorDigital.ca