Topic: MAMA review by Dorkman

I'm not sure how I feel about Guillermo del Toro as a filmmaker, but I respect the fact he uses his success and clout to help other filmmakers get their feet in the door. In 2007, he got behind THE ORPHANAGE, a Spanish ghost story not entirely unlike his own DEVIL'S BACKBONE.

This time around, it's MAMA, based on a short film of the same name, a film which in its expansion to feature length has culled from quite a few more sources than del Toro's body of work -- the influence of THE RING and DARK WATER are readily apparent, with dashes of THE EXORCIST, POLTERGEIST, BLAIR WITCH, and even a few moments lifted from THE GRAVEDANCERS. Though MAMA, like ORPHANAGE, was made by Spanish filmmakers, unlike the earlier film it is in English.

The film starts out promisingly -- a stockbroker suffering sudden financial ruin has a psychotic breakdown, murders his estranged wife and kidnaps his two young daughters. One of them is a kindergartener, the other only a year or two old. He winds up driving his car off the road in the woods, and trudging deeper in they discover a cabin by a frozen lake. He's about to commit a murder-suicide before something in the shadows rips him away, leaving the two girls on their own. That night, sitting in the small pool of light cast by a tiny fire in the fireplace, a single cherry rolls to them -- the thing in the darkness has decided to look after them.

It's a creepy set-up, delightfully Lovecraftian. The older girl needs glasses, but they were damaged in the car crash, so she can't really see what it is that's adopted them. The toddler is exposed to the full brunt of the horror, but she's too young to have her sense of sanity shattered (and will, as a result, spend her childhood without one).

The film spends the next hour doing just about everything right. It sets up the adult protagonists to be tormented by Mama, and actually makes them likable, something so many films -- especially horror films -- fail to do. The brother of the man in the opening sequence -- the little girls' uncle -- has bankrupted himself searching for the girls, and when he finds them and chooses to take them in, his girlfriend decides she cares about him enough that she will stay and help him raise them. It really takes the time to make the story about the characters and not just the scares.

When creepy things do happen -- when it begins to become clear that the girls did not come out of the woods alone, and their guardian is jealously possessive -- they're suspenseful, sometimes masterfully so, with things happening uninflected within the frame. You, the viewer, are left to infer that Something Is Wrong from the context rather than the movie getting in your face with crazy camera work and orchestra stings.

Then, just past the midpoint, the movie begins to unravel. The plot begins to make less and less sense, the character motivations and behaviors become less coherent, and the sure-handed confidence of the creeping terror gives way to jump scares, shrieking violins, and showing a great deal of the entity Mama rather than implying her.* The tone starts to vary wildly as well -- sometimes creepy, sometimes silly, sometimes almost becoming an action movie. The final confrontation with Mama attempts to go for some emotional power, but the story has gotten so muddled and confused by this point it's hard to know what I'm supposed to feel.

If you like horror films, this is worth it for some of the really solid scares, and characters you actually care about; but don't let the first hour get your hopes up too high. It doesn't quite stick the landing.

*As a side note, the scene which I thought felt the most out of place in the movie was, I discovered afterward, essentially the original short film. In developing stories I find it's often the case that the concept which made me want to tell the story in the first place -- be it a scene, a character, a line of dialogue -- no longer belongs in the story once it's fleshed out. This is not unique to me -- it's what is meant by the writing adage "kill your darlings." Given that this story appears to be based in part on the legend of La Llorona, it's kind of ironic the filmmakers failed to do so.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: MAMA review by Dorkman

I liked it a lot more than Dorkman. I haven't got a chance to think about it all that deeply, but here's my initial assessment, having seen it just a few hours ago.

My decision to see the new horror film Mama today was made with great trepidation, and even that’s understating it a bit. I hate seeing horror movies in theaters. The jump scares are too loud and the scary images are too big. I like watching them at home, where I have the option of muting the audio when I know that a loud orchestral sting and a distorted face are about to suddenly come on. Still, I had nothing better to do, so in I went.

I was pleasantly surprised by Mama, not because I expected it to be bad, but because it works on a different level than most other films in its genre. Yes, there are jump scares aplenty and plenty haunted house tropes, but there was something distinctly off about Mama, and in a good way. It seems to be made by a really good filmmaker who has never seen a haunted house movie before. They don’t know that it’s okay not to try in these movies, that people will buy tickets anyway. Still, in spite of this assurance, they charged ahead with a horror movie that has a surprising dedication to its characters and themes. The director knows exactly what he’s doing in every scene. Many newbie horror directors imitate without knowing why certain tropes actually work. Director Andres Muschietti understands horror cinema, and he knows how to push your buttons. He’s also surprisingly artful. A dream sequence in the middle of the film is a standout, and one of my favorite scenes of the year so far. It’s simultaneously beautiful and disturbing, and it feels exactly like a nightmare that someone would have. This is a scene that really shook me, on a level that most horror movies really don’t.

You don’t expect to be particularly invested in the personal lives of horror movie characters, but the core characters of Mama are actually pretty fleshed-our and interesting, and you grow to care about them in a way that is deeper than, “This is scary, I feel bad for them.” Hell, in a nice twist, even the titular ghost is a three-dimensional character with a deep personal history and strong emotions beyond, “RAR I AM A SCARY GHOST, LOOK HOW SCARY I AM.” Now that’s a rare trait for a horror movie. Even in movies that are held up as paragons of the genre, like The Exorcist, the villain’s motivation is little more than, “Humans suck, I like messing with them.” You’re not going to find yourself rooting for Mama at any point, but you do grow to pity her and understand where she’s coming from.

I can see Mama being criticized for showing its ghost too much. Jaws taught us all that a monster is scarier if you keep it in the shadows and don’t put it on screen too much. Mama goes in the other direction. At around the halfway point, Mama is prominently shown, and we see her clearly in all of her appearances from that point on. Again, I can see people finding this boring, and feeling as though it defangs her to an extent, but I found it refreshing. Mama is, as I mentioned, a character in the movie just as much as any of the humans, so to keep her obscured and hidden would have actually lessened her presence as opposed to increasing it. I will say, though, that the physical design of her character isn’t original in any way. A creepy rotted ghost in tattered black clothes with twisting limbs and long, face-obscuring hair is something we’ve seen a million times. Maybe they wanted to make her more familiar to an audience, so that we connected with her more? That’s probably reading too much into it.

Not everything about Mama works. In case you didn’t know, it is an adaptation of a short film of the same name, by the original creators, and movies of that nature always seem to suffer a little bloat. When you feel like you’ve told your story succinctly in three minutes, it’s understandable to have some trouble with extending it to 90+ minutes. The original short is recreated pretty much shot-for-shot about 3/4 of the way through, and strangely it seems to contrast with the overall tone of the film more than it fits. There are certain characters and subplots that are irritating, and which never go anywhere, but cutting them would have chopped 20 minutes out of the movie, and that’s kind of ridiculous for a movie that’s only about 100 minutes long as it is. The character of the aunt in particular stands out as completely unnecessary and annoying. She contributes nothing thematically, and every time she shows up the movie grinds to a halt. She’s not a major character, but in a rewrite I would have gotten rid of her.

Mama is a movie about parenthood, grief, loss, and love. It has some great scares, and it’s much better than it has any right to be. I happened to show up early, and the credits of an earlier screening of the film were just ending. The film ends with a dedication from the directors:

“To our Mom.”

I’m sure she’s proud. Mama is a solid horror film, and sure to be a cult classic in the years to come.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

The character of the aunt in particular stands out as completely unnecessary and annoying. She contributes nothing thematically, and every time she shows up the movie grinds to a halt. She’s not a major character, but in a rewrite I would have gotten rid of her.

SPOILER Show
She was "necessary" in the sense that Mama possessing her (and apparently then knowing how to drive) was a contrivance by which the story could get back to the cabin in the climax. Sure, Mama could have just flown them there or maybe teleported them through her wall-vaginas, but then they would have gotten there too fast and there would have been no reason for her to wait long enough to kill them for the other characters to arrive.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

The character of the aunt in particular stands out as completely unnecessary and annoying. She contributes nothing thematically, and every time she shows up the movie grinds to a halt. She’s not a major character, but in a rewrite I would have gotten rid of her.

SPOILER Show
She was "necessary" in the sense that Mama possessing her (and apparently then knowing how to drive) was a contrivance by which the story could get back to the cabin in the climax. Sure, Mama could have just flown them there or maybe teleported them through her wall-vaginas, but then they would have gotten there too fast and there would have been no reason for her to wait long enough to kill them for the other characters to arrive.

Show
I guess, and in that sense I like that they gave her something to do, but her entire plot felt so inconsequential. It might as well have been the doctor, who was important to the story of Mama and the girls.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't normally react at all to horror movie trailers, but this was one that intrigued me. It's nice to see that it might be worth catching on video. Nice reviews, both of you!

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Show
It might as well have been the doctor

Oh, that would have been WAY better.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow, I totally missed this thread last night when I posted in the random thread. My bad.

http://downinfront.net/forum/viewtopic. … 665#p30665

Thumbs up Thumbs down