Topic: You wanna talk about a magic bean?

Alright movie. Tell me your story.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: You wanna talk about a magic bean?

I remember seeing a trailer for this like a year ago. I figured it got put on a shelf. Looks interesting.

Betcha Kirsten Dunst has TK though.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm intrigued.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It has been around for a while, it was released in some parts of the world last August. It has some interesting posters, I like this one

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/images/2013/01/Upside-Down-Poster-438x650.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My GF saw this and can barely contain her rage. Apparently it's horrible.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Aw come on.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pretty sure you can find the entire film on youtube if you look hard enough. I watched it like a month ago or something. And yea it sucks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yea, I've heard nothing good, I think it was shelved for like 2 years. Very likely to be terrible.
Looks very pretty though

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-01-29 22:19:09)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Alright movie. Tell me your story.

What do you mean? The trailer just DID tell you the story: Boy meets upside down girl. Boy loses girl because of police and gravity. Boy goes after girl. Police and gravity go after boy.

The only thing in question is whether the final shot in the trailer depicts a final, tragic loss or [gasp!] the final obstacle to overcome before their miraculous reunion for—I'm gonna say "jet pack fucking"

Plus there's some kind of "falling" metaphor, I think. I don't know what that's about.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

It's Romeo and Juliet transposed to literally separate rich & poor worlds.
Titanic did it better.
In Time - not so good.
Question: why does it have to be poor guy and rich girl? Is the opposite Pretty Woman?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think we've kind of reached the point culturally where just transposing Romeo and Juliet into random movie premises is not enough to hold up your idea.

I mean, it's been over 10 years since Romeo Must Die, screenwriters need to stop doing this.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Looks like someone saw the folding city scene from Inception and said hell yeah, lets make that a movie.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Well, at least someone did.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/07/christopher-nolan_240.jpg

Look at his stupid face.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wouldn't the concepts of Up and Down pretty much lose all meaning in this context?  sad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

At Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, Juliet and the other Capulets had to to be hoisted upside down on ropes and swung around the stage, until the practice was stopped in the wake of a successful strike by the motion-Capulet stage hands chanting "'What's in a name?' Chronic back pain."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I think we've kind of reached the point culturally where just transposing Romeo and Juliet into random movie premises is not enough to hold up your idea.

I mean, it's been over 10 years since Romeo Must Die, screenwriters need to stop doing this.

The 'Star Crossed Lovers' is one of the original seven story premises, I don't think it's going to stop being in films any time soon.

And for what it's worth, Romeo Must Die hardly featured a romantic subplot at all. The title's based off a line in the movie that's a pithy quip by the villain.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Well, at least someone did.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/07/christopher-nolan_240.jpg

Look at his stupid face.

Sacrilege! We're all not worthy to polish his Armani shoes he wears to set each day.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sacrilege! We're all not worthy to polish his Armani shoes he wears to set each day.

We're worthy to polish his scripts though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You mean fill them with a folksy Eastern European existential dread?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yes, in that version of Inception DiCaprio's chracter is a plumber. There are pipes that take you deeper into the dream, Marion Cotillard is a lost princess etc. It's basically Mario, but with explosions...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

But Mario is Italian.

Last edited by paulou (2013-01-30 18:23:10)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not in this version.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://media.screened.com/uploads/1/13855/601030-22.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can hear the pitch meeting with crystal clarity:

"It's Romeo & Juliet, but take their being from two different worlds literally, meaning that separate world is upside down, over our world!"

My guess would be the test audience had the same reaction to the entire movie that I had to the trailer:

"This is literally hard to watch! It hurts my eyes! You want me to look at moving pictures that are upside down for how long? To hell with that!"

Thumbs up Thumbs down

johnpavlich wrote:

"This is literally hard to watch! It hurts my eyes! You want me to look at moving pictures that are upside down for how long? To hell with that!"

Actually if you do it long enough your brain will adapt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_M._ … xperiments

Thumbs up Thumbs down