Topic: House of Cards [SPOILERS MARKED]

Teague Edt: In this thread, please mark your spoilers with the episode number you're up to. With all episodes released at once, there's no telling where anyone is in the show - or if someone who has seen, say, six episodes will know whether or not your spoiler will spoil them. Thanks!

This is a thread where we can talk about the show. It's gonna be weird, given the release model, so please mark your spoilers, and mention which episode you're spoiling.

I've only just started the pilot, and this sure looks like a David Fincher production.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: House of Cards [SPOILERS MARKED]

Hmmmm., I may watch the first episode later for free but I don't really want to pay for Netflix to see the rest. Netflix UK isn't that great, it has very little choice, but still- free first episode.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Episode 1. No spoilers.

I can certainly see the Fincher in it, but it's interesting the tiny nuances that aren't quite as finessed when he has a smaller budget.

Generally, I'm into it. Gonna give it some more episodes to see where it goes.  I don't wanna get my hopes up, but so far it's looking like a fairly Fincherized (re: darkened) amalgam of The West Wing and The Newsroom.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Spacey's performance is anchoring the show for me. The plot itself is mildly interesting so far, but it's Spacey who's selling the shit out of it. Can you be nominated for an Emmy for an internet-only show, I wonder?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dr. Horrible was.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Didn't they invent a category for Dr. Horrible? I'd love to see them change the acting category rules to fit House of Cards in.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's kinda my point, if they want to give it to him, they will.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dr. Horrible was a Creative Arts Emmy for short form content. Series get complicated. Especially Primetime.

http://www.emmys.tv/sites/emmys.tv/file … d_rev6.pdf

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And hey, I just realized who that actress is who I recognize. Kristen Connolly from The Cabin in the Woods has a prominent role!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just finished episode 4.

Good so far. Recommendation to try it.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yep, officially recommend. We got a good show on our hands here, folks.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

And hey, I just realized who that actress is who I recognize. Kristen Connolly from The Cabin in the Woods has a prominent role!

You just took me from having never heard of this show to needing to see it RIGHT NOW!!

Well done.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I love that Underwood's ringtone is slightly creepy and foreboding. Also, it blends into the score almost perfectly on certain occasions.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

About fell out of my chair laughing when they

ep1 spoiler Show
cut from the opera to Spacey playing Call of Duty.
Show didn't grab me from the opening scene, but after about 30 min I'm on board.

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-02-02 04:17:59)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doc, don't mind me, but I edited the following into your original post.

Teague Edt: In this thread, please mark your spoilers with the episode number you're up to. With all episodes released at once, there's no telling where anyone is in the show - or if someone who has seen, say, six episodes will know whether or not your spoiler will spoil them. Thanks!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Edit away. It's for the best.

Btw, I love how this show is like the dark bizarro world version of The West Wing. I keep expecting Underwood to put a  pillow over Sam Seaborn's sleeping face or something.

Episode 5 spoilers Show
The bathtub scene at the end of episode 5 made me say "holy shit" out loud. Twice.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2013-02-02 03:57:48)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

(BTW, the spoiler tag can be used thusly: [ spoiler=Words You Type] [/ spoiler])

As for Episode 5, same here. I was a wee bit shocked.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Finished the series.

Yep. Hearty recommend.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Half-way through it, goddamn this is good. This show handles and understands the media so so well. Everything that I dislike and feels artificial about The Newsroom this show gets 100% right. The specificity of the details in places is crazy, like how there's a brief reference to what is basically the AutoTune the News youtube channel, the way Twitter is used, the authenticity of the news channels and talkshow stuff.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I will sit down and watch this when I have a chance. I did really enjoy the BBC series they've adapted it from.

The first episode starts with the main character lamenting the downfall of Margaret Thatcher - complete fiction when they shot it, but the episode ended up airing days after Thatcher was voted out.

It was shot on video 20 years ago and I don't know how accessible you'd all find it but it's on netflix if you did want to check it out.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Three episodes in so far.  Took me a little while to get on board - I'm never going to like the 4th wall-breaking, I just accept it  - but otherwise I'm enjoying it.   It really is the darkside version of The West Wing.

Overall the production values are amazingly good, it rarely looks like a low-budget show (which it isn't really, but it's a bit lower than the budget of an equivalent network show).  Even so, I was surprised to see that even The Mighty Fincher was sometimes reduced to covering scenes in ho-hum master/single/single setups.

Overall, it's an impressive step forward for this newfangled concept of original web content.

I'm only up to episode 5, REALLY enjoying it so far. They've hooked me. I'm sure I'll have more to say once I finish the season, but so far the biggest shock for me was seeing, "Directed by Joel Schumacher" in the opening credits for episode five. That guy's still working? And on things that DON'T suck? I'm astounded.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya, I'm really surprised how good it looks. Most of it (especially interior scenes) looks very consistent visually with Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Social Network. And I just love the attention to detail in everyone's home, these congress-people have the coolest looking houses and apartments.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Episode 6 spoilers Show
Underwood's gaffe was well-staged by Schumacher. I actually felt really bad for him. Also, the way that they show the fallout from it is fantastic, very in-tune with the public's current response to politics. The Auto-Tune the News moment had me rolling on the floor. Too perfect.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Finished if off, outstanding series, and the last 4 eps in particular are really damned strong.

Also just realized that the lead reporter chick is played by Rooney Mara's sister. Kinda weird that Fincher is casting his female leads for his last 3 projects from the same family, but she's good so whatever. It was throwing me off during the first couple of episodes though, because I kept thinking I recognized her but couldn't place it, the reason being she looks 90% like her sister did in Social Network.

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-02-03 05:29:18)

Thumbs up Thumbs down