Re: House of Cards [SPOILERS MARKED]

Yeah, their choices for this season kinda baffle me. This show is bizarre in the sense that it's so well-made in every department that it kinda tricks you into going along with it and thinking it's good, when in fact it's just spinning it's wheels. Lots of cringe-worthy stuff this season, and the comment about it being a Soap Opera is so right. It's just not very good.

All of Season 2 spoilers:

SPOILER Show
I was super excited going into the season thinking season 1 was him pulling all this crazy stuff off to engineer himself into the vice-presidency, and then this season would be everything falling apart as the reporting trio working together take him down, following the trail of clues and fighting with him. That seemed like a perfect way to do the show in 2 seasons. Instead, they completely undo and remove every cool supporting character they've established. Zoe dies in a cheap shocking move early on that makes 0 sense in terms of believability, the reporter gets jailed and loses by the half-way mark, Jeanine gives up and leaves. Christina literally is written out of the show in a throwaway line of dialogue (btw Claire, I fired her as you suggested). And this time, there's no morally decent person to root for, the way you had Peter Russo last season.

This all screams to me of unnecessary story padding. They wanted one more season of Underwood being a badass and getting EVEN MORE power, so they could then do a season 3 where he starts getting taken down. And as a result they end up throwing out all the good stuff they were setting up in season 1 just to allow things to drag on.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

SPOILER Show
They got rid of Christina is a relatively careful way. It's never perfectly smooth when you're deliberately trying to write someone out. They telegraphed it and primed the audience for it ahead of time. She didn't just summarily disappear. Her visibility was diminished from the beginning of the season, and her ouster was part of Claire's effort to drive a wedge into the POTUS' and first lady's marriage, a chaos ploy. So it doesn't exactly come out of nowhere in that line of dialogue. We see it coming a mile away. Just like the POTUS' chief of staff being dismissed.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rob wrote:

SPOILER Show
They got rid of Christina is a relatively careful way. It's never perfectly smooth when you're deliberately trying to write someone out. They telegraphed it and primed the audience for it ahead of time. She didn't just summarily disappear. Her visibility was diminished from the beginning of the season, and her ouster was part of Claire's effort to drive a wedge into the POTUS' and first lady's marriage, a chaos ploy. So it doesn't exactly come out of nowhere in that line of dialogue. We see it coming a mile away. Just like the POTUS' chief of staff being dismissed.

Show
Yeah, I just wish they'd done it with a less interesting or likable character.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well that was disappointing.

Show
I didn't HATE it, there was plenty to enjoy in the season, but it was a major step down from last year. Season one was reasonably grounded and Frank had a realistic, identifiable goal. We could understand the point of his various machinations, and him being denied the position he was promised in Chapter 1 provides us with his motivation.

This season it might as well be a fantasy show. This was seriously Frank's plan all along, to win the presidency this way? It's so far-fetched that somebody would even attempt something this convoluted, let alone succeed. And to what end? He's had so much dirty laundry aired across this entire season, he's had suspicious activity investigated, and many of his colleagues KNOW he was actively gunning for the Presidency near the end. We saw in the 60 Minutes interview that the public was aware enough of the details to, I think, be damaging.

I mean if we think about it... Even without being privy to the inner workings as we are, anybody with half a brain can look at the public record on Underwood and realize that he was manipulating this since the moment he started helping Peter Russo. It's not going to be long before questions start to be asked, is it? And why did he have to acquire the presidency THIS way? He's got a long, successful political career, he's wealthy, he's charismatic, good at fundraisers, good at rallying support... why the fuck not just RUN for President, if you want it so bad? Did Walker going back on his word seriously piss him off THAT much?

But as convoluted as the plot was, there are two things that bothered me more. The first was the major character assassination of Doug Stamper. He was my favorite character in season one. Cold, calculating, efficient, fiercely loyal, and yet his handling of Rachel hinted that he had more going on under the surface. This season turned him into a sloppy, jealous freak with an unhealthy obsession. And then killed him and dumped his body in the woods. I loved the way Michael Kelly played his death scene, but it should never have happened.

Second thing: Frank and Claire Underwood are about the worst sociopaths ever this season. They're never not detached and robotic, even when they're supposed to be playing their parts. The most egregious example was after Marine girl's interview, when she's all excited and bubbly and pleased with herself and thanks Claire for empowering her, Claire doesn't even pretend she's human. Where's the superficially charming mask of season one?

Final niggles: Everything with the McPoyle brother, his guinea pig, and his l337 h4x was awful. The three sexy scenes (Feng's intro, Rachel and Church girl, the Underwoods with Meechum) felt very gratuitous and unnecessary, like when a teenager swears to show you how mature and grown-up s/he is and ends up conveying the opposite. Unless Claire having taken Meechum's blood pays off in season 3, then I'll allow that one. Tusk was a bumbling cartoon villain, as has been pointed out. The President forgives and is chummy with Frank WAY too quickly. They were good pals again by the time the POTUS resigned. Zoe's death was shocking and unexpected, but as with many of the shocking developments this season, no consequences. And how in the fuck did no security cameras catch Frank?

Anyway, despite the ranting here, it held my interest and obviously I watched the season pretty quickly, but it became clear by the time Lucas was gone for good that it wasn't going anywhere satisfying.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

SPOILER Show
It seems like the whole China/Raymond Tusk/Energy Crisis/Who's Funding the Republicans thing just didn't land for viewers. I did a lot of rewinding trying to catch exactly what the problem was a lot of times.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

I don't mind a lot of the asides and weird tire-spinning subplots that don't seem to go anywhere. The thing that bothers me is how busy the show seems now. There are SO MANY subplots. It's impossible to keep them all straight. In the first season there were maybe four or five different things you had to keep track of. In this season there are literally dozens of things going on in every episode, and new things keep popping up in every one. It's ludicrous.

Is this a factor of them knowing most viewers will watch most or all the episodes at once? That is, they think they don't have to worry about viewers forgetting things between episodes.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Season 2 Show
There's nowhere this show is interested in going that doesn't involve Frank's maneuvering. (What, is it finally gonna be about global problem solving or some shit now that Frank made it to the Oval? Bitch please.) That means Frank is going to have to maneuver. That probably means the Presidency isn't going to go well.

So, with that reasoning, my bet is that season three is going to be about how it all falls apart and he loses everything. I mean, shit. They've already decided they want him to be Heisenberg. Where else does that go?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Finished the season. My pithy soundbite: Season 1 was a drama, Season 2 was a melodrama. It all got very silly very quickly and the occasional

SPOILER Show
abrupt murder
can only do so much to retain interest.

Still:

SPOILER Show
http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2014/02/18/house-of-cards/5.o.jpg/a_560x375.jpg

Last edited by Dorkman (2014-02-21 07:15:35)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Am I the only one that was hoping up until Frank Underwood spoke to the camera in the first episode "Did you think I’d forgotten you? Perhaps you hoped I had." that it would be Claire that would be breaking the fourth wall this season?

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.