The forum has been too quiet today.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: I have full-moon fever

Agreed.  We must end the silence.

.....so....what's up.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Last day of classes tomorrow. Also, my birthday. Currently trying to finish a paper that was due in February. So... yeah.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just finished classes for this term on Tues...slept til 5pm today (From 9am hmm ) and now have to go blow $170 on a 2TB external hard drive cause all three of my other ones are basically full. And while I'm there I might pick up Avatar.

Happy early B-Day Shadow!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

You can get a 2TB drive for a lot less then that if you look.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Canadian?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Wait, Maul2, did you used to go by Janz?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What about Canada? /confused

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague: No why? I have aaaaaaaalllways been maul/maul2

And shadow: less than $170 Canadian?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Aren't Canadian and USD pretty closely matched right now?

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I suppose. Either way, this is the cheapest one I've been able to find. Typically it's like $150 just for 1TB or something ridiculous like that.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I quick look on newegg found me this. And if you're willing to wait for one to come up on one of those deal a day sites, you can get them for under $100.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Happy birthday, Shad!

The client I'm working for just bought a stack of four 2 TB Mercury Elite firewire drives. I carried them from one closet to another the other day. Eight terabytes in my hands. I felt really, really old.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You killed it Jeff. sad

Thanks for the happy birthdays everyone. big_smile

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's what I do.

Oh, and on the subject of hard drives? You get what you pay for. If you luck out and find a real bargain, bite the bullet and buy two of 'em. You don't have anything digital unless you have it twice.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Phantom Drives are usually pretty good.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lemme tell you how paranoid I am with my data. I've got my laptop hard drive, yeah. Then I've got a 1T firewire drive that I copy all the good stuff to. And that's on top of the 750 GB USB drive I have wired up to my wireless base station for Time Machine. And all the stuff I really care about, I FTP to Dallas to store on my best friend's SAN.

I lost some shit I'd worked hard on one time due to a hard drive crash. I don't want that ever to happen again.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have over 8TB of data and I would say maybe 1Tb is safely backed-up. Wish I had the money to back-up everything all the time sad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Happy (belated) Birthday Shadow!

On the topic of backing up: I currently have a small box that I carry around labeled "Time Machine," that contains an internal 3.5 inch hard drive and a lot of packing peanuts.

Let me back up (heh, heh...) a bit.  In August '07 I bought my first (and only...so far) Mac, a Macbook Pro with a 160GB drive (an MA896LL/A if you really want to know).  Some time later OS 10.5 came out with a new feature called Time Machine, essentially a backup utility.  I upgraded, and decided to go with an external 320 GB drive for backup.  I connected it via USB, using one of these.  If you don't have one, it's well worth it to have in your kit; their dead useful, and at the time I was thinking I'd upgrade the internal as well, and would need a way to clone the drive.  Anyway...

At the time I was working for the now all but gone Ritz Camera, and I would usually bring my Mac with me (can you see where this is going?).  So one fateful day in May last year I hit the "Backup Now" button, packed up my Mac, and went to work.  That night it was stolen as I was helping a customer.  If you've ever had a computer stolen (actually that was my second stolen computer now I think of it sad ), or even lost a wallet, phone, or hard drive (thankfully I've never lost any of those), then you know that sinking feeling you get (I know at least one member of these forums this has also happened to).

Fortunately I have a backup image of my old Mac in the form of that drive in that box, but until now (and for the immediate future) I can't afford what it would cost to replace it.

What is great, is that when that fateful day comes, I can restore my new machine to the same state as my old machine in a matter of hours.

Until then, I'll continue to cart around my little "Time Machine" in the hopes that one day I can bring my old machine back to life.

So, anyone got an old MacBook Pro lying around they want to donate to a good cause?

Yes, we would all like one please.

But if you only have one....MINE

Thumbs up Thumbs down