Re: The SCIFI Thread! :) (not about the TV channel)

Well, I'm guilty of bumping my own thread...

Anyway, I gave the Prometheus commentary a relisten because I'm on a science fiction review kick right now. One of the many ideas postulated in the review was the concept that the Engineers were basically scientists who did not care about humanity because it was essentially an experiment to them, much like if we were to clean up mold samples, etc. There was also the idea that the Engineers basically get pissed off at humanity for awakening the black goo because they can't deal with those things.

It actually reminded me of the Halo universe, in which there is a race of beings called the Forerunners. The whole concept of the first Halo game was that the humans and aliens land on a planet that is a Forerunner construct and discover more and more about the Forerunners, who might be the creators of human and the Covenant life.

The cool part, in Halo 4, is that the protagonist meets a Forerunner who basically hates humanity and seeks to destroy them. So, you have a similar inverse of what could have been the edge in the Prometheus story.

Despite the fact that Halo originated as a video game, the background and construction of the world actually has some interesting scifi tropes and ideas to it.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok, ok, I should stop this but hey, sci fi is too fun not to share smile

Anyway,
one of my favorite blogs right now is called Future War Stories, which, as you may have guessed, is about military scif. I am a huge military scifi fan, having read "Starship Troopers" at 11 or so, as well as Space Cadet, and others. So, this blog is right up my alley: http://futurewarstories.blogspot.com/

Well, reading on the blog today I stumble upon this link: http://conceptships.blogspot.com/

Which basically collects all the cool sci fi ship concept art out there, be it video game, movie or independently created. It is quite a collection and if you like science fiction artwork or concept art, this might be for you smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Another bump, though this might be more appropriate in the "Random Movie Talk" thread.

Oh well.

So, two bits of news in the science fiction movie world I found interesting today.
First is the fact that Prometheus is getting a sequel. Anyone surprised? No? Ok,moving on.

The second, more interesting (to me) of the two is that Battlestar Galatica is getting a big screen debut. So, just like the Scify miniseries reboot, Galatica will get another retelling, this time up on the big screen. The potential problems is that the same screenwriter who did Prometheus is on this project.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/battlestar-galactica-movie-gets-new-life-at-universal-exclusive-1201153687/

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's the fact it's Glen Larson again that has me interested (he lost TV rights to his creation, but kept the movie rights). A Galactica more in line with the original ideas would be interesting: Cylons who are actual aliens, for example. Their description in the novel, credited to both Larson and Robert Thurston:

“As far as Apollo could see there were Cylon warships, with their odd curves and arclike limbs. In one of the ships he could see the usual triad that composed a Cylon fighting crew. Two helmeted pilots sat side by side. Their tubular shaped helmets covered what Apollo knew from a closeup examination of Cylon corpses to be many-eyed creatures with heads that apparently could alter shape at will. In the center of the helmet was a long but narrow aperture from which emerged fine concentrated beams of light. No human had ever discovered whether the light was generated by the Cylons themselves or was some facet of the helmet's technology. ”

Excerpt From: Robert Thurston. “Battlestar Galactica: Original Series - 01 - Battlestar Galactica.” iBooks.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

they've been kicking the BSG reboot reboot around for a couple of years now. Does seem like an odd choice with the show being so prominent

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I think the reasoning is a) due to the reboot, the name is now known again, and b) the reboot burned itself out. So, if you're going to take advantage of the franchise, you start over again.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, it struck me as odd, as Faldor said, with the reboot so fresh. I mean, you had Blood and Chrome back in 2012. It seems weird to try and get it back out of there again.

But, look at Superman Returns and Man of Steel, so there is that big_smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I recently read Heinlein's "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress". It's a really interesting tale of a luna penal colony trying to gain it's independence. Well worth a read. I mentioned this to my neighbour who loves Heinlein who wouldn't let me leave without a copy of Stranger In A Strange Land

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Faldor wrote:

I mentioned this to my neighbour who loves Heinlein who wouldn't let me leave without a copy of Stranger In A Strange Land

And quite rightly so!  It's completely great, and I love virtually everything Heinlein wrote after The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress.

Here's a random sci-fi question that's been driving me crazy lately:  I have this really hazy memory of a near-future sci-fi...police show I think it was...from about 20 years or so ago.  It was on TV -- might have been a short-lived series or a movie-of-the-week failed pilot.  Don't think it was a feature film.

All I remember about it is that there's a running sub-plot about how everybody's trying to get tickets for 'the concert'.  It's this big deal, and they never really let on what it is until the end, when somebody finally says something to the effect of "Man, I wish The Who would have a 'farewell tour' and actually mean it".  I remember just about falling off the couch laughing, since they'd been doing that since like 1982. 

Ring any bells with anybody?  Googling is getting me absolutely nowhere.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:

I recently read Heinlein's "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress". It's a really interesting tale of a luna penal colony trying to gain it's independence. Well worth a read. I mentioned this to my neighbour who loves Heinlein who wouldn't let me leave without a copy of Stranger In A Strange Land

Heinlein is definitely one of my favorite authors, regardless of genre. I read "Space Cadet" and "Tunnel in the Sky" when I was around 10 and kept going. I was not a huge fan of "Stranger in a Strange Land" but it certainly was an interesting book and very different in a good way to most of the sci fi that I had read.

Sorry, sellew, that does not rings a bell sad

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Why sci-fi keeps imagining the enslavement of white people:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme … le/361173/

Thumbs up Thumbs down