Re: Suggest a Commentary 2.0: The Suggestioning

fireproof78 wrote:

...I would be down for Batman Begins, because it is one of the more interesting parts of the series as far as character stuff goes. The whole "becoming is more interesting" stuff smile

In our commentary track for Batman Begins (we've done all three, by the way), while usually, "Becoming is more interesting than being", Zarban and I make the case that this is one of the rare instances where the opposite is true.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It is one of those phrases that sounds good, but there are enough exceptions it becomes somewhat meaningless. Some of my favorite characters did not start out with origin stories. The author instead dropped the reader into the most interesting part of that person's life, when they were who they were, and let us readers learn about them as they dealt with some problem. The Horatio Hornblower books, for example. There are prequels NOW, but if you read the publication dates you'll see we didn't get Midshipman Hornblower until the author realized he couldn't do much with the character as a 60 year old Admiral.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

True enough, except those are books and not movies.   smile

The screenwriting adage "becoming is more interesting than being" is a corollary to "a movie should tell the story of the most important thing that ever happened to the main character".   And in most cases, that's the origin story.  The most interesting and important thing that ever happened to Batman is that he became Batman.   

Or it should have been.  But I agree that - in a rare case - Batman Begins isn't very interesting.

I have a suggestion for the commentaries... or more like for the commentary threads.

How about having a more detailed first post for each commentary. Info on who were on the podcast with what ever info they want to plug (websites, projects, twitter, etc.) and a group photo of the participants.

An additional tally of consumed beverages could be interesting and somewhat relevant information smile

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Trey wrote:

The most interesting and important thing that ever happened to Batman is that he became Batman.   

Or it should have been.  But I agree that - in a rare case - Batman Begins isn't very interesting.

See, that's the odd thing. That is NEVER the best Batman story smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
Trey wrote:

The most interesting and important thing that ever happened to Batman is that he became Batman.   

See, that's the odd thing. That is NEVER the best Batman story smile

Not a regular reader of the comics, but isn't Year One supposed to be up there with The Dark Knight Returns and The Killing Joke as one of the best Batman stories ever? (I was not a fan of either TDKR or TKJ, so go figure.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's good, but not the best. It's also more about Gordon than Batman, telling how he came to Gotham and set himself apart from the corrupt cops there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

johnpavlich wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

...I would be down for Batman Begins, because it is one of the more interesting parts of the series as far as character stuff goes. The whole "becoming is more interesting" stuff smile

In our commentary track for Batman Begins (we've done all three, by the way), while usually, "Becoming is more interesting than being", Zarban and I make the case that this is one of the rare instances where the opposite is true.

While I like the Dark Knight (my favorite of the Nolan Batmans) I think that Batman Begins has a lot more potential than most will give it credit for. For starters, Batman is a bit of jerk, arrogant and egotistical, caring little for the needs of his company or the city in the way that his father did.

I actually don't really like who Batman is in Nolan's Batman movies, and BB is no exception. What I like is what he is trying to learn and become and the journey of becoming Batman.

I'm sure you guys make an excellent point regarding BB being less interesting, but I still prefer Batman Begins for Bruce Wayne's story, over Dark Knight and Harvey Dent. I think it is seeing the potential of what Bruce Wayne could become and his struggles to be that person.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Has anyone suggested doing all the movies listed in Rocky Horror's 'Science Fiction, Double Feature' as a marathon? They're all about 70-80 minutes each, and funny in a schlocky ironic sorta way. No one? That's because it's probably a bad idea, like something someone says in a bar after a few.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Actually, nearly all the movies mentioned in that song are worth seeing and some are true classics: The Day The Earth Stood Still, King Kong, Day of the Triffids, The Invisible Man and Forbidden Planet certainly have merit.  Flash Gordon is also noteworthy, though of course it looks pretty campy nowadays.

It Came From Outer Space, Tarantula, Night of the Demon and Dr. X I've never seen.  Maybe I should, just to complete the set.  smile

Having just seen it (in Final Cut form) for the second time and having found both a lot of new things to love and several things to criticize, I have to ask--will a Blade Runner commentary ever be in our future?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I keep thinking of films and then forgot when I get in front of computer. Apologies for repeats but they are on my mind right now:

-Species
-My Favorite Martian
-Wolverine: Origins

And the train of thought derails...stupid head cold

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Here's one you guys oughta try:

Rocky and Rocky Balboa double-feature

Don't bother with any of the other sequels (not enough talk to fill that many similar movies),
but Rocky and Rocky Balboa are both great movies, easily the high points of the series from an objective film quality perspective, and they work as great companion pieces to each-other. They are also the 2 tonally realistic, gritty entries in the series, and hold up today without much in the way of cheesy baggage.

You see how this young guy who's down on his luck manages to build himself up, and then you see him 30 years later dealing with his age and what happens when the world has passed you by.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

Having just seen it (in Final Cut form) for the second time and having found both a lot of new things to love and several things to criticize, I have to ask--will a Blade Runner commentary ever be in our future?

That'll be a great double-feature commentary with the sure-to-be-ruined Blade Runner sequel from octogenarian Ridley Scott. Compare & contrast.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

That'll be a great double-feature commentary with the sure-to-be-ruined Blade Runner sequel from octogenarian Ridley Scott. Compare & contrast.

We're not even sure when will the sequel come out (if it will really happen). They didn't even start proper pre-production, right?

Regardless of the sequel, Blade Runner definitely deserves a WAYDM commentary (it's been suggested a few times before  wink  ).

Last edited by MartyJ (2014-01-22 19:24:51)

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Faldor wrote:

I'm still holding out for Now You See Me

This.

http://rack.3.mshcdn.com/media/ZgkyMDEzLzA2LzEyLzhhL0dsZWUuMDg2YTUuZ2lmCnAJdGh1bWIJMTIwMHg5NjAwPg/6579ac29/62e/Glee.gif

http://i.imgur.com/Qao0RSo.jpg

Never forget.

I kind of have a really masochistic desire for you guys to do I, Frankenranken.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

If you would like cleanse from all the blockbusters. The movie "The Man From Earth" would be really interesting to dissect, especially since it's the complete opposite of modern sci-fi movies, and basically a moviebook (a movie audiobook). Its fucking good too.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I liked that movie! Quite memorable. It's like a play: few characters, one location, a thought-provoking concept.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Heh. I haaaaaaaaated THE MAN FROM EARTH. I wrote a mini-review a few years ago when I tried to watch it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

Heh. I haaaaaaaaated THE MAN FROM EARTH. I wrote a mini-review a few years ago when I tried to watch it.

All the more reason to discuss/dissect it. I never fully understood your reasons as to why you didn't like it. I think a commentary would help you articulate your issues with it. Also, if I recall, you said you didn't finish it. I think you should and THEN make your case in the commentary.

I'd like to think the movie didn't work for you based on a narrative/script concern, not an atheistic one. Or, maybe it's both? For now, I can't be sure but I'm fascinated to find out.

For the record, I loved the movie, for the same reasons expressed above and elsewhere in these forums. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Never heard of The Man From Earth before now, but apparently the 14,000-year-old main character is named John Oldman so I don't see a lot of potential.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, exactly. You don't even need to see it and you already understand the problem.

Thumbs up Thumbs down