Re: Suggest a Commentary 2.0: The Suggestioning

Ok. Three pages into the second thread,  NO MORE COMMENTARY SUGGESTIONS. There are already more movies listed than can ever be watched - it's like an infinite Netflix queue where people just keep adding crap 80's action films.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

But- 

Dorkman wrote:

This doesn't mean these are all going to happen -- there's about 8 years' worth of titles here, and new ones are coming out all the time -- but it will help you guys see if there are any gaps in our thinking, as well as to let us know which ones you really want to hear, since you might be more or less interested in some than we might assume.

The 'crap' action movies that Squiggly suggested are already on Dorkman's list so some of us are actually doing what the opening post suggests. I do agree there needs to be a bit more order, though but I don't really think it is up to you or I to tell others that.

Last edited by Jimmy B (2013-03-19 07:13:39)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How about Wonderboys? - My all time favorite movie about the process of writing and writers (Adaption is a close seccond).

Curtis Hanson directing. Based on a novel written by Michael Chabon, he of John Carter fame.
Michael Douglas, Tobey Maguire's best role, Frances McDormand, Robert Downey Jr. + a bunch of great character actors.

My favorite quote from the movie...

Show
Grady Tripp: He said a few things that lead me to believe that the car was his.
Terry Crabtree: Such as?
Grady Tripp: "That's my car, motherfucker."

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Holden, could we make the sarcasm tag more obvious? Maybe some kind of marquee effect?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wait, you were being sarcastic? Really? Fair enough.

Last edited by Jimmy B (2013-03-19 19:14:41)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

...Death to Smoochy...

Yes, please...

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Dave wrote:

Holden, could we make the sarcasm tag more obvious? Maybe some kind of marquee effect?

I think I posted this in chat, but didn't really beat the horse properly:

Sacrastices (like parentheses, only with jaggedy squiggles)
http://www.collegehumor.com/article/687 … tion-marks

also

Sartalics:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/0 … 19845.html

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Snail wrote:
Dorkman wrote:

...Death to Smoochy...

Yes, please...

Please, no

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

I don't see how your comment was sarcastic, despite the sartalics, since sarcasm is saying the opposite of what you mean but the italicized comment seems to be precisely what you mean to say.

Sarcasm would be something like "I'm glad we've got three pages of suggestions to expand the list - it was pretty sparse." That's obviously untrue and can be assumed as sarcasm without having to resort to typographical cues like backwards italics.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Anyway, what about a low-budget fest, starting with Hobo with a Shotgun.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

Anyway, what about a low-budget fest, starting with Hobo with a Shotgun.

Well, you see, there is a Hobo...

...with a shotgun.
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2011/03/14/hobo-with-a-shotgun-game.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hobo with a Shotgun, I know...

..I know, it's serious....

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://i49.tinypic.com/2hfnaee.jpg

[edit] Just checked the list and it is already on there... and if memory now serves me right it was my suggestion a big while back that got it on the list in the first place... http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h399/skelly99/doh.gif

Last edited by Fido (2013-03-22 14:16:46)

Jason doesn't teleport.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, maybe?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Hunt for Red October?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I second the poll option (with or without kickstarter money) for a commentary or indeed, to vote a movie OFF the island (i.e. shorten Dorkman's list of nominations). But generally mopping up the remaining franchises is a good place to start.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I thoroughly enjoyed the last poll we did which chose those six films before LOTR. I learnt that democracy is great but that I should lubricate the system with money and loose women.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

my suggestion isn't for a new movie to add to the list of commentaries.  I simple ask if the DIF crew would please announce when you're going to do a live stream the way you used to.  I don't exactly know what the technical term is for the website.  It was usually displayed just above the  website menu bar...? neutral

Last edited by switch (2013-04-06 16:16:15)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

We're not recording this week, but I agree that we need to start announcing the stream again in advance when we do. I've figured out how to do that so I'll make sure it gets done.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

It's announced every time, announcements never stopped. (Every time but once recently that I can think of.) We just don't record as much anymore.

Or do you just mean announcing it on the forum itself? Cuz... yeah. That one I've fallen out of the habit of for some reason. I'll snap myself out of it.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I meant announcing on the forum itself like before.  Not everyone uses twitter and Facebook. neutral

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Possible movie suggestions for DIF this year:
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/the- … fanpage%2F

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What is the deal with Robert De Niro now? Seriously. Did he lose a bet and have to start picking scripts at random out of a hat?

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

fireproof78 wrote:

Possible movie suggestions for DIF this year:
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/the- … fanpage%2F

"The Scary Movie franchise has spent the past decade reminding people that things exist, and then having those things fart and bonk their heads and confusing that with knee-sleeping wizardry."

Okay, that's beautiful.  Ebert may be gone, but others are ready to pick up the torch.   Yay!

Zarban wrote:

What is the deal with Robert De Niro now? Seriously. Did he lose a bet and have to start picking scripts at random out of a hat?

"Hey Robert, I be you can't be in a movie with Robin Williams this year?"
*theorized true story*

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down