Re: Let's discuss Iron Man 3. [SPOILERS]

How was this a shit film again?

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doc Sub gets a like for he speaks the truth. The film is great fun.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shane Black & Drew Pearce Reveal What Was Cut From IRON MAN 3

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ … cG3woJj.99

So, the real problem here is not that the film has issues, but that it seems like it does. Even though the film does actually have an internal consistency, if people leave the theatre thinking that it was shoddily done, then that's a failing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

HenryChM wrote:

So, the real problem here is not that the film has issues, but that it seems like it does. Even though the film does actually have an internal consistency, if people leave the theatre thinking that it was shoddily done, then that's a failing.

Normally I'd agree with you. But like I said, all the "issues" mentioned in this thread are answered by the movie, so the movie isn't at fault.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, I'm glad doc sub is here to tell us our opinions are wrong.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wasn't talking about your opinions. I was talking about the specific examples you cited of things that "didn't make sense," even though they made perfect sense. You're welcome to hate the movie if you want to, because I can't change the experience you had with it. But the reasons you gave weren't valid.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'm going to preface this by saying I rather enjoyed this movie, but I also think it has it's flaws. It was good, and it was fun, but it's not perfect.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

The Extremis henchmen can maybe be a little hard to buy, but I had no problem with them. That one woman wasn't killed by the microwave explosion. She was killed by landing on some power lines and getting electrocuted.

I left this movie really confused about what kills Extremis people and what they can regenerate from. She was either killed by electricity or the explosion. Explosions don't seem to work on the others, so it can't be that, but Tony mentions he can electrify his suit in the skydiving scene and he's smart enough to make that connection, but then he doesn't electrify any of them later, so I'm confused. Then the other guy doesn't die to the hand beams, but he does die to the Unibeam? And Guy doesn't die to the first explosion, but does to the second? I have no idea what's effective on these people.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

And so what if Guy can breathe fire? You're okay with him melting a metal suit with his bare hands, but fire-breathing is too unrealistic? Please.

I would like to point out that he was ok with neither of these things.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

And I loved Pepper saving Tony at the end. It calls back to her covering him during the attack on his mansion. It gives their relationship a dynamic that no superhero movie (save The Incredibles) has had before.

I was ok with (and totally expected) her having fire powers and super strength. I was confused as to why she suddenly had ninja skills. I was also surprised when Tony developed ninja skills when invading the mansion, but that was more easily to rationalize (but then he loses them later when they invade the dockyard, so I don't know).

Doctor Submarine wrote:

And I'd rather the suits be made of aluminum foil than indestructible, because when you've got that many suits already, you can very easily make things too easy for the hero. The kid breaking a finger off the suit was because the suit had been heavily damaged already.

The flimsiness of the suits was fucking ridiculous. They were ripping through them like paper, and I don't care how damaged it is, that kid shouldn't be able to break off a finger unless it has already been broken off. And them falling apart when they get bonked hard was fucking silly. Aluminum foil and indestructible are not your only choices here.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

As I mentioned before, the skydiving scene makes perfect sense as far as the arm-electrifying goes.

No it doesn't. Sure, you can electrify muscles to make them clench up, but Tony was electrifying the first three people in the chain so they wouldn't let go (without sending too much electricity through any of them) while the fourth guys is still free to flail around until he grabs somebody, then he's electrified too. Also Impossible maneuvers and G forces and all that. I was rolling my eyes, but it's a superhero flick, so it didn't really bother me. Oh, and it's a good thing they all could swim.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Don't get why people have been complaining about this. The logo of that website was on screen for literally a half a second. It's not like the sequence was all about Tony being saved by SPEEDTEST.NET, which he loudly thanked for being such a helpful website. For the average audience member, it might as well have been one of Tony's gadgets. The connection is too slow. Take that half-second of a logo out, and you probably wouldn't be complaining about the scene. The entire sequence was for a few funny moments with Tony's biggest fan.

The speedtest didn't bother me, but I was wondering why the hell he needed more speed to log into a website and watch some video. And why Warmachine had excess to those files.

Doctor Submarine wrote:
Holden wrote:

Why the hell doesn't Mk42 run off of the near-endless power source built into his goddamn chest? The car battery thing drove me nuts.

Because it needs to fly to him at a moment's notice, so it has to run off its own power source. And the entire finale is about all the suits running of their own individual power supply.

Sure, they have their own power supply, but I was wondering why they don't hook into his chest when they're on him.

Also, I was so disappointed the Mandarin was a fake, I wanted to see him being a badass and slinging some magic.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2013-05-04 05:53:40)

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just got out of it. I find it hilarious that you guys are trying to nitpick science-level plausibility of things in this movie, given it clearly exists in a ridiculous, heightened comic-book universe, with a playful comic tone.

I'll say up-front, the first 30 minutes are a frickin mess tonally and plot-wise, and I was getting real worried, but I think everything from the helicopter attack forward feels like a kickass Shane Black movie. The movie really settles into its mystery groove, consistently pays off on numerous setups, and most importantly, delivers some outstanding action set-pieces.

I'll say it right now, this has the best action of any of the Marvel films, and trounces the Avengers in that category (which has an hour of action, of which I can remember at best maybe 3-4 moments, and the bad-guys are completely boring and throwaway). I LOVE the villains in this movie, I love that they said FUCK IT, and just went with crazy mutant super-powers. This is a great choice because it allows the bad-guy henchmen to both be credible threats, and have a personality, instead of all the boring robot villains from the last movies.
They follow that up with the auto-assembling suit, which I think is a brialliant master-stroke. It lets them have Tony constantly either out of his suit, or partially out of his suit, which immediately fixes all the issues this series has had with stakes. You never fear for Tony in these movies typically because he's wearing indestructible power armor, but this time out, not only is he vulnerable, but the bad guys chasing him are super-powered. The movie really won me over with the Mutant chick chasing him sequence, which plays like something from a Terminator movie, and then the action just gets better and better from then on out. Shane Black understands the importance of building tension and escalation within a set-piece, and how to layer on multiple levels of stakes.
I think the final 20 minute sequence is pretty goddamned amazing, and easily the best stuff from any of these movies action-wise.

So ya, not perfect, there's lots of problems early on as you're trying to get adjusted to the universe/tone of this movie, but once it gets going, it's so good that other stuff doesn't matter.

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-05-04 08:42:29)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

And I'd rather the suits be made of aluminum foil than indestructible, because when you've got that many suits already, you can very easily make things too easy for the hero.

But here you sum up some of the problems with the movie. Why did the writers think so many suits were a good idea if it meant they had to cheat by completely ruining the consistency of the other movies in the process?

Also I can buy the hulk having extremely stretchy pants. Pants that survive temperatures high enough to melt steel I find harder to believe.

As for the X-Men DNA/Iron Man 3 DNA angle of finding certain things believable and others not so much, I think it is because the whole point of X-Men is genetic mutants.

Iron Man 1 and 2 are about normal people in suits. I realize that the Hulk and such are in the same universe, but The Avengers never focused on the technical aspects of The Hulk. It was more about his character and his anger.

When they in Iron Man 3 started talking about DNA upgrades and "this is your brain, see this spot which has nothing on it, we can upgrade your brain by putting stuff there" they took that crucial step too far into the realm of reality for me. If The Avengers had tried to justify The hulk by doing nonsense babble about the specifics of DNA I'd have felt the same way there.

It's the difference of saying "this is how it is, don't worry about it too much, it's not the point", and "For the sake of our plot we will betray known physics to the point where you can barely identify with the universe we are inhabiting anymore, and we will detail it in such a way where you consciously need to accept it even though having to think about it for more than 2 seconds will also make you realize how dumb this is".

Another quick example is The Dark Knight and the Joker. The Joker being able to setup incredibly fortuitous situations for himself so that he can break out of jail, etc etc, would be hard to swallow if the movie compelled you to look at it in even some detail. Instead they do the right thing and do not reveal anything about the inner workings of it. By keeping it a mystery they leave in atleast an ounce of plausibility and being able to rationalize it. If they actually detailed how the Joker was able to completely accurately predict events days in advance nothing they came up with would be a satisfying answer, because noone would be able to predict something with so many unknown factors without being able to time travel.

I will again reiterate that had I been more familiar with the comic book I may already have accepted these things. The Hulk is so well-known in popular culture that my reaction is "well of course he can do that, he is the Hulk, that's the character".

Last edited by TechNoir (2013-05-04 10:37:45)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I haven't seen this movie, but this thread is proving very entertaining
*grabs the chips*

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TechNoir wrote:

Another quick example is The Dark Knight and the Joker. The Joker being able to setup incredibly fortuitous situations for himself so that he can break out of jail, etc etc, would be hard to swallow if the movie compelled you to look at it in even some detail. Instead they do the right thing and do not reveal anything about the inner workings of it. By keeping it a mystery they leave in atleast an ounce of plausibility and being able to rationalize it. If they actually detailed how the Joker was able to completely accurately predict events days in advance nothing they came up with would be a satisfying answer, because noone would be able to predict something with so many unknown factors without being able to time travel.

As a sort of side note, this is a large part of why the Dark Knight didn't work for me.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TechNoir wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

And I'd rather the suits be made of aluminum foil than indestructible, because when you've got that many suits already, you can very easily make things too easy for the hero.

But here you sum up some of the problems with the movie. Why did the writers think so many suits were a good idea if it meant they had to cheat by completely ruining the consistency of the other movies in the process?

In what way? I totally buy that a traumatised Tony made all those other suits in order to try to get over his ordeal in New York.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Because this movie, the third in a trilogy (there have been 3 iron man movies about his origin story), turns around and says "you know Thor? Weaker than a nine year old child".

The movie operates as if it doesn't exist in the same universe we've experienced to this point, even though it clearly does. They reference incidents, and keep the wacky robots, but trash every other consistent thing we know about the character.

And as someone who doesn't read the comics, it basically made the character - which I had really liked to this point - less. Apparently iron man is a guy with remote control suits that do the fighting for him. Not that interested in seeing that movie - that's called robot wars.

Iron man is now a super hero who's fucking house does the tough stuff, while he sits around on his arse. Tony is nothing more than a manager.

Last edited by Dave (2013-05-04 18:05:21)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, to be fair, he's just invented this remote drone technology, so its not like he's a different character. And it makes total sense, if you have a robotic killing machine, why WOULDN'T you make it remote-controllable. I agree this potentially fucks them down the line in trying to justify this in future movies, but at least in this one, I don't think he's "just a manager". This movie puts him in more personal danger than any of the other ones, and as has been pointed out, the suit jumping is inherent to the character arc of the movie, the suits are just a tool, he's the hero.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

No, the finale showed us Jarvis the house was the hero, the Pepper. Tony was simply meat.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

Iron man is now a super hero who's fucking house does the tough stuff, while he sits around on his arse. Tony is nothing more than a manager.

Then you missed the entire fucking point of the movie. Tony's arc is all about the fact that he has to let Iron Man become something separate from him. He can't stay locked away in a suit for the rest of his life. Which is why he blows up the suits at the end of the film. He's letting go.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Iron Man 3 was pretty much all shite. Not as much shite as Iron Man 2 - but fairly close. Nonsensical plot, unrealistic villains.... where do I even start? The level of ridiculousness was through the roof from frame #1.

The only bits that were even remotely cool was Pepper donning the suit, and Pepper kicking ass at the end (tho I hated Guy Piercings fire deamon henchmen crap guys), plus the Mandarin fakeout (love that).

Soooo much stuff made Noooo sense. What's this stuff about Tony having Anxiety attacks... that went exactly NOWHERE!?

Holy hell.

Oblivion was the better movie BY FAR.

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

Because this movie, the third in a trilogy (there have been 3 iron man movies about his origin story), turns around and says "you know Thor? Weaker than a nine year old child".

Well no, the suit was essentially dead, there was no power in it so anyone could have taken the finger off.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

True, thats why they can never turn the engine off on tanks. Without it running, you can pull the barrels off with your hands.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:
TechNoir wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

In what way? I totally buy that a traumatised Tony made all those other suits in order to try to get over his ordeal in New York.

Sorry, I should have made my point better.

The point was that the suits had to artificially be made useless just to not overpower Stark vs. the bad guys. If anything every suit above the one used in the first one should be better and stronger since they are more advanced. I guess my point is that the myriad of suits is a bad storyline, since Tony _would_ be overpowered. Just sidestepping that by making the suits useless and hoping that the audience who has seen 3 movies with Iron Man before this one doesn't notice felt cheap to me. I felt the movie didn't respect the continuity of the previous movies, and it seems it just expected me to not question this.

As for Tony blowing up the suits at the end, the final line in the film is "I am Iron Man". But... you're not though, if the suits are gone and if you let that part of you go...?
And why did Tony have to let Iron Man go? Because he was traumatized? He had some very mild panic attacks that last like 20 seconds each and he abandons the entire thing? Surely a psychologist is alot better than blowing up the thing that has kept America safe from so many threats? Surely thousands of bad people will descend on you, now unable to defend yourself as efficiently, and kill you and loved ones in an attempt to keep you from ever coming back should you change your mind?

Also the suits at the end are blown up. Considering that we've seen his suits handle most about everything in previous movies, those must be some magic explosives?

I'm just confused. Reading this thread has made me aware of a few things I've missed plot-wise and character-wise, but so has many others it seems. So can we agree by concensus that the plot is way too unclear at the very least?

Last edited by TechNoir (2013-05-04 20:26:22)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh the 1000-suits at the end was just another layer of shite. The movie (and trailer) made this BIG DEAL out of all his suits being blown up - the only suit he had left was that mark 42 thing he was dragging across the snow... THAT WAS THE POINT.

Then, suddnly, totally out-of-the-blue and deus-ex-machina, he SUDDENLY had 1024 majikally autonomous suits, that he still could majikally jump into? Bollox.  [Not to mention the total inconsistency between the suits being driven by his ARC reactor when *he* wears them, but magically not when other people (or nothing) is wearing them]

Shite.

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

True, thats why they can never turn the engine off on tanks. Without it running, you can pull the barrels off with your hands.

It's a comic book movie, dude, it's not real life. You are being quite pissy about this you know big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MasterZap wrote:

Oh the 1000-suits at the end was just another layer of shite. The movie (and trailer) made this BIG DEAL out of all his suits being blown up - the only suit he had left was that mark 42 thing he was dragging across the snow... THAT WAS THE POINT.

Then, suddnly, totally out-of-the-blue and deus-ex-machina, he SUDDENLY had 1024 majikally autonomous suits, that he still could majikally jump into? Bollox.  [Not to mention the total inconsistency between the suits being driven by his ARC reactor when *he* wears them, but magically not when other people (or nothing) is wearing them]

Shite.

/Z

His six original suits were blown up, but the movie clearly shows that he has a large basement full of armors secure underground. It isn't so unbelievable that he made arc reactors for each of the suits, either, especially considering he was trying to build suits that could run without him in them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can you hear yourself justifying crap? Please listen to yourself!!??

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down