Re: Let's discuss Iron Man 3. [SPOILERS]

Are we getting worked up, or being funny? smile

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

It's a comic book movie, dude, it's not real life. You are being quite pissy about this you know big_smile

big_smile

To a degree, but this film propper annoys me - it could have been magnificent.

Frankly, I blame Teague, Mike, Brian, and Trey (well, and Eddie too). My tolerance for stupid, big budget films which don't play by their own rules has really gone down over the last few years.

Last edited by Dave (2013-05-04 21:12:06)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I thought it was great fun personally. Each to his own, though, eh? smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Then, suddnly, totally out-of-the-blue and deus-ex-machina, he SUDDENLY had 1024 majikally autonomous suits, that he still could majikally jump into? Bollox.  [Not to mention the total inconsistency between the suits being driven by his ARC reactor when *he* wears them, but magically not when other people (or nothing) is wearing them]

It's not really a deus ex machina as it is repeatedly mentioned that the suit he's wearing in the mark 42 and that he spends all his time building suits, and we already know he keeps all his old suits, so what the hell happened to 8-41? Now you know. Also, the suits are not powered by his ARC reactor when he wears them, they have their own internal power supply, which is why he had to recharge it even when he was wearing it.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2013-05-04 21:17:35)

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya, it makes perfect sense that he would make his suits autonomously powered, how the hell else would the auto-assembling suit pieces work.

If you really wanna nit-pick plot stuff, the big oversight is the fact that he's sitting on 30 suits in cold storage, that he doesn't bring out in the middle of the movie when he's in some dangerous situations and they could really be of use. You know, like saving the president. I think they sorta justify it by Jarvis being off-line and the excavation diggers at the house not having unearthed the bunker yet, but I'd need to see the movie again to see if they explain it adequately.

But again, tone is everything, and I think the movie's blatant "fuck it" tone lets it get away with a lot of this more ridiculous stuff that would feel out of place in Iron Man 1.

The thing I really like is that the action beats all have a kick to them. It's not just loose explosions, people get brutally hurt, people get shot (the air force one sequence is a lot more hard-core than I expect for a Marvel movie). You really can feel Black's comic/violent tone cracking through the boring comic-book sameness that these movies usually have. That's the thing that redeems it big time, it's got an identity and it's memorable.

As someone who doesn't give a fuck about these comic book movies, I can enjoy this as a cool/weird Shane Black movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TechNoir wrote:

As for Tony blowing up the suits at the end, the final line in the film is "I am Iron Man". But... you're not though, if the suits are gone and if you let that part of you go...?
And why did Tony have to let Iron Man go? Because he was traumatized? He had some very mild panic attacks that last like 20 seconds each and he abandons the entire thing? Surely a psychologist is alot better than blowing up the thing that has kept America safe from so many threats? Surely thousands of bad people will descend on you, now unable to defend yourself as efficiently, and kill you and loved ones in an attempt to keep you from ever coming back should you change your mind?

Also the suits at the end are blown up. Considering that we've seen his suits handle most about everything in previous movies, those must be some magic explosives?

I'm just confused. Reading this thread has made me aware of a few things I've missed plot-wise and character-wise, but so has many others it seems. So can we agree by concensus that the plot is way too unclear at the very least?

http://gradberry.com/thefruitbowl/files/2012/05/avengers-2.png

Do we really think that Tony would see a psychologist? I mean, the narcissism alone would make Freud quit the business

I know I haven't seen the movie, but it is interesting to see them play with the premise that is set up in Avengers, where Dr. Banner and Tony discuss the difference between the Hulk and Iron Man. Tony notes the arc reactor is a bit of a curse, keeping him alive. The idea of the movie of exploring this vulnerability of Tony's is at least enough that I might watch the film, plot holes or no plot holes.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I actually quite enjoyed it. (and pretty much agree with Doctor Submarine)

no fighting please

Last edited by MadBadCoyote (2013-05-05 02:55:29)

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

MadBadCoyote wrote:

I actually quite enjoyed it. (and pretty much agree with Doctor Submarine)

no fighting please

+1 so there is no fighting

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love you guys though. I think it's great that we have a place to have this kind of conversation.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

Do we really think that Tony would see a psychologist? I mean, the narcissism alone would make Freud quit the business

I thought the end of Avengers kind of marked a bit of a turning point in his narcissistic ways.

I've seen some good points in this thread. I generally liked the movie, but there were some little things that bothered me. Here's a couple, and I don't know if these have been posted yet (they are kinda nitpicky...):

1) I get how Aldrich Killian went from gimpy and wrinkly to buff and handsome, but how did that dweeb become so suave and socially competent?

2) The lack of security in that world astounds me. So Iron Man can just park his suit filled with guns and explosives outside a corner restaurant and it's cool, no big deal.

And even worse, Rhodey's suit just swoops in out of the sky in front of Air Force One (about 2 feet in front of some secret service guys, who hardly even flinched), the president gives him a wave and they hop on board just like that. No sort of identification needed, let alone simply showing his face... Plus why would he be allowed on an aircraft with the president while wearing such a dangerous weapon? Even if it was Rhodey, what if he accidentally nudged the wrong way and, I don't know, blew a hole in the side of the plane? They'd never let that thing on AF1, no matter who was manning it.

Also, how did the military not catch those choppers closing in on Stark's house? I mean they had to be on serious watch after he made his little message to the Mandarin.

But as I said, I generally liked it. Some cool action (albeit technically impossible most of the time) and plenty of good laughs. RDJ is a beast.

Last edited by Sam F (2013-05-05 06:02:58)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:

2) The lack of security in that world astounds me. So Iron Man can just park his suit filled with guns and explosives outside a corner restaurant and it's cool, no big deal.

This...all of this at once. Security in movies might as well be a Boy Scout and a dog with rabies

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

I see what you are saying, but are we to believe that Tonys ego is too big to see a psychologist about some minor anxiety attacks, yet he is willing to leave behind what has defined him for so long, and what he has put so much work into? in my opinion you cannot really have both and still have a consistent characher. The final line in the film is basically "I am still Iron Man", so clearly he destroyed almost all his work despite mentally not being finished with it.

Last edited by TechNoir (2013-05-05 09:47:21)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TechNoir wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

I see what you are saying, but are we to believe that Tonys ego is too big to see a psychologist about some minor anxiety attacks, yet he is willing to leave behind what has defined him for so long, and what he has put so much work into? in my opinion you cannot really have both and still have a consistent characher. The final line in the film is basically "I am still Iron Man", so clearly he destroyed almost all his work despite mentally not being finished with it.

Well, that line was halfway a joke but I'll engage in serious psych chat here for a moment,

I was honestly thinking about it after reading some of the posts and think that Tony could use a psych because his behavior is clearly a little insane. You mentioned inconsistent but I think his behavior is more internally consistent in that he identifies himself as Iron Man regardless of having the suit. Captain American challenges him in Avengers but Tony responds with his classic quip about all the other things that he is. He also discusses that the Arc reactor is his curse, pointing out that what makes the suit able to go is still a part of him.

So, I think in 3 (and bear in mind I haven't seen it but have gathered enough from this thread to make a preliminary diagnosis wink ) he is literally going from dependent on the suit to not needing the suit but still calling himself "Iron Man" because he feels that what makes Iron Man special is himself, not the suit.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

So, I think in 3 (and bear in mind I haven't seen it but have gathered enough from this thread to make a preliminary diagnosis wink ) he is literally going from dependent on the suit to not needing the suit but still calling himself "Iron Man" because he feels that what makes Iron Man special is himself, not the suit.

Ding ding ding! That's what the movie is ultimately about.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So which do you think is worse, Iron Man 2 or 3?
I think 3 might actually be the worst...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

switch wrote:

So which do you think is worse, Iron Man 2 or 3?
I think 3 might actually be the worst...

This is literal insanity.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I cannot fathom someone walking away with that viewpoint. Iron Man 2 is literally one of the most boring blockbusters I've ever seen, and a terrible action movie. Whether 3 is better than 1 is certainly up for debate (though I personally think 3 blows it out of the water in terms of fun factor, and I'm way more psyched to re-watch it than 1).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I say it could be the worst because 3 seems just as much of a mess story-wise as 2.  Sure, it's a fun watch, but I'm talking in terms of story.  Granted, I need to hear the dialogue with captioning turned on, cause I think I might have missed quite a bit from not getting all the dialogue...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd agree with you about up until the end of the first act, which is a real mess. After that it's pretty stream-lined and decently structured, certainly better than whatever the hell was supposed to be happening in the 2nd one.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I much prefer the story to 3 than the one in 2. I don't really remember what the story in 2 was apart from a bored Mickey Rourke liking birds and hating Tony.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Overall I liked the film.

I was most amused at the start when Tony is filming himself that his camcorder, according to the onscreen display is shooting RAW video.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Last edited by Xtroid (2013-05-07 18:21:43)

I don't watch Spoony ever since his petulant, absurd Cabin In The Woods meltdown. Is this worth watching?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Is this worth watching?

Yeah.

Check out comic book version of The Mandarin. lol

http://marvel.toonzone.net/retrospective/mandarin//

Last edited by Xtroid (2013-05-07 19:57:11)