Topic: Korean Cinema

A few folks have expressed interest in seeing some Korean films and seeing what they have to offer, which is  unique from films from both the Chinese and Japanese whilst also incorporating arguably the best of both. Around the turn of the century, South Korea released a movie called Shiri (or Swiri). It was a big budget Hollywood style blockbuster film (the most expensive at that point) which had great actors, great action and the kind of slick production values that made it look great and feel professional. The story was also pretty good and dealt with North Korean agents in South Korea, even going so far as to humanise them at a point in time that Korean unification was controversial issue.

Anyhow, Swiri was a huge success, beating the records set by big American films such as Titanic and the Matrix, and gave birth to a film industry boom that continues to this day. Films with high production values like most big American releases, the action sensibilities of the Chinese, the storytelling nuances and eye for cinematography of the Japanese, and the Korean's own brand of humour and taste for being entertained by the unexpected.

Below is a list of what I'd consider to be the best of what Korean cinema has to offer, placed into various categories.

Note: I've deliberately gone for Korean trailers for most as these seemed to give less away. Half the fun of these films is that you go in not knowing much about them and being surprised.

Martial Arts:
Musa (Musa the Warrior)

War of Arrows 

Fighter in the Wind

Drama:

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance

Old Boy

Lady Vengeance
(whole movie)

The Champion

Friend

JSA
(whole movie)

War:

Brotherhood (Taegukgi)
(whole movie!)

Romance:

Bungee Jumping of their Own

My Sassy Girl
(full movie)

More recommendations to come if people have seen the above.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Korean Cinema

Typical, left out some pretty important ones.  smile

A Tale of Two Sisters
(full movie)

A Bittersweet Life

All of those on my list so far are relatively old. I confess I've not seen many recent movies.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

If allowed, I will wholeheartedly recommend one.

Thriller - The Chaser

http://fims.kofic.or.kr/upload/up_img/cleansing/x00/04/03/mov_20080046_13826.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1190539/reference

Great film. Bloody, intense story about the hunt for a killer. It is not all what you'd expect from that description. Some twists and turns, and the inherently different sensibilities and cultural differences between eastern and western cinema, make this a real winner. See it.

Last edited by TechNoir (2013-05-27 15:46:51)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I love this thread. Thank you. I want to broaden my horizons, and I think there are jewels to find in there. As I said in the other thread, I watched The Chaser yesterday and it kinda blew me away, because it doesn't work the way we're used to.  It doesn't compromise, which is refreshing.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok, now for some comedies. I think much of Korean humour stems from the visual, so it's much more accessible than Chinese, who tend to focus on language-related humour (puns and such), but still, I'm wary of recommending these as it does come down to taste.

Also, for some reason, there's always a lot of face slapping.  smile

Sex is Zero - this was among my first Korean movies and the DVD cover and title looked interesting on my Korean housemate's shelf at uni. Sort of the Korean version American Pie is the best summation, really crude situational gags. I'm also a bit crushed on the lead actress.
(first part of movie)

My Boss My Hero - a mob boss goes back to high school, antics ensue
(full movie)

Attack the Gas Station - some youths attack a gas station, antics ensue
(sorry for the rubbish quality)

Thumbs up Thumbs down