Topic: Fast 6

saw this on Saturday morning (no joke, they started at 9:30 and played every 45 minutes until the end of the day). 

this movie is so perfectly stupid that I'd gladly go see it again.  It's exactly the kind of popcorn flick you'd want and should expect.   It was loud, it was bright, it was sexy, and it was fun.

curious who else saw it because there are a couple scenes that were LOL ridiculous and i'd love to talk about it.

also, i didn't put this in reviews because my review would have basically been "YES!"

there's a chance these movies might never stop getting made.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Fast 6

I am a huge proponent of the Fast series as a brilliant action franchise. The mythology and world-building they've managed to do with these movies is kind of crazy (the wraparound elaborate timeline from 3-6 is a stroke of genius). I would say this is one of the great unheralded movie series, except the last 2 have gotten huge praise from critics and audiences, so its not exactly a secret anymore.

This series has also grown to be extremely progressive and good-natured with the last few entries. The team is very multi-racial, there are several tough female protagonists, who don't get objectified by the film-maker,  and all get good character beats. 

Unlike a Michael Bay movie, the action is built around the character dynamics, so there's always stakes involved. Its also extremely well shot, Fast 6 in particular has some of the most impressive action filmmaking I've seen in years. Justin Lin is juggling a dozen characters, all in different cars, criss-crossing through these elaborate action scenes that just build and build, and you always know where everyone is spacially relative to eachother. Really exciting stuff, and done almost entirely practically (look up some behind the scenes online, it is INSANE how much stuff was done for real on this movie).

More than anything, I think this series really understands the expectations of the audience, and plays to them without insulting them. People really sell the screenplay short, when I think its actually pretty great about setting up and paying off multiple character relationships throughout this movie, while also paying off and mirroring things from the past 5 films, AND on top of that retroactively improving previous films in the series by filling in extra character motivations and plot points. In many ways, Fast 6 is the Avengers of the Fast and Furious series, and this movie has hands down the best post-credits tease I've ever seen, simultaneously setting up an awesome sequel, while retro-actively making Part 3 way cooler.

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-05-28 22:20:57)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saw it, really liked it. My one complaint was that this installment in the series took itself a bit seriously from a character POV. They should be big and dumb and fun, but here the pace is sometimes dropped for prolonged periods of time for serious character interactions and deep emotional connections. I think they should be there, but when 2 characters have been talking for 10 minutes (what feels like...), I started wishing they had either cut it down or atleast picked up the pace a bit in the scene.

I haven't seen many other of the movies in the series so maybe I lack that extra involvement in the characters. But this is why I absolutely love the 5th movie. You don't need to have seen any of the other movies. It's The Italian Job on crack.

"We need to get the... thing."
"OK".
"That guy doesn't want us to get the thing."
"Well... he's mean, so fuck him." *VROOOOM* *CRASH* *Rattattattatta*

...And scene.

As far as action pieces, this one is on par with the 5th one (though I don't think anything will beat the distilled purity of 2 muscle cars dragging a huge vault through a city and using it as a wrecking ball... ever).
I just wish the rest of the package would have been a bit more trim and taken itself a bit less seriously. This series is the one exception where I feel like they should just design it like 5 15 -minute action setpieces, with 5 minutes of plotting inbetween. Because when the action and carnage is as well staged and well shot as it is here, I really cannot get enough of cars smashing into things. There is something primal there that I can't really get enough of.

Also Gina Carano is in it. Didn't know that. Didn't mind it at all.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

^^ I agree they could stand to lose a scene or two in the middle, though for the most part I enjoy all the character banter stuff. The reason I like the action a bit more in this one is that the 3 big set-pieces in this one manage to involve basically all the major characters, whereas Fast Five was kind of just Vin Diesel and Paul Walker. And then for the finale in this one, not only do you have the like 10 good-guy characters all involved in the action, but you have 10 distinct bad-guys too, which the movie has taken the time to setup and establish. I love that kind of shit.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

also....where can i find this amazing runway?  i'd love to see someone crunch the numbers on it, but that thing had to have been at least 10 miles long, probably closer to 15.  hilarious, yet i just don't care.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Still baffled that people all of a sudden like these movies. I really appreciate the cast diversity and the refusal to use cheap stereotypes. But this movie is no different from Battleship to me. Good action, idiotic otherwise. I laughed out loud several times at just how ridiculous some of the stunts are.

I guess the wraparound storyline is kind of interesting, but it seems to me to be just a cheap way to get a fan favorite character back. (Although that final scene does bring it all together in a major way, I'll give them that.) People are talking about this conceit like it's brilliant or revolutionary in franchise storytelling, as if they've never seen a single prequel before. It's not that interesting. Fast and Furious 6 is dumb fun at best and incredibly boring at worst.

I did enjoy its moments of self-awareness, like when someone comments on the fact that each member of the crew has an evil doppelganger on the villain's team. That was fun. And sure, the action is good. I just found it impossible to care about anyone or anything. But I guess that's not why people come to these movies. They aren't the worst action movies ever. But aside from the structure of the series and the casting, I'm not sure why these movies are even being talked about.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2013-05-28 22:47:00)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It walks a fine line. I acknowledge its stupid and ridiculous (the story makes 0 sense), but it does it with just enough self-awareness that it makes it feel like you're laughing with the movie instead of at it. And they don't go too far either, they still treat the characters and macho dialogue sincerely, which I think is crucial. The vibe I get from the last 2 is "we both know this is dumb, but you know this scene is going to be awesome enough for it to be worth it". I think its the closest I've seen modern big-budget hollywood come to replicating the best of the ridiculous 80s action movies. You can watch Commando and say "its dumb and illogical" too, but that doesn't make it not super entertaining and re-watchable (certainly a staple of my childhood). I think tone is key, and I think Justin Lin has really nailed the right balance of humour, sincerity, and ridiculousness to make it all work (excluding Fast 4, which just sucks).

I think the fact that they land in that sweet spot is why they're getting so much attention lately, probably coupled with the fact that American action movies have been dead for like a decade now, burned to the ground by Michael Bay's aesthetics, comic-book movies, and CGI. If a studio is gonna spend 150 million on a dumb action movie, I want it spent on driving a real tank into real oncoming cars instead of Giant computer robots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwgnqPhna_I)

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-05-28 23:15:45)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shackman wrote:

also....where can i find this amazing runway?  i'd love to see someone crunch the numbers on it, but that thing had to have been at least 10 miles long, probably closer to 15.  hilarious, yet i just don't care.

The internet has your back on this one...

http://i.imgur.com/pod7kph.jpg

thank you internet!!! 

clearly where they were going, they did need roads.

Thumbs up Thumbs down