Matt's ringtone

Angry Beavers

ALF, and 6 other Soul-Crushing Series Finales

Cause of death?

The fourth wall

Tilt shift

Vibro-blade

Re: Sunshine

Just watched the movie for the first time ever. Kinda loved it. I guess everyone hates the shoed-in villain? But it sort of worked for me. I dunno, I'm not gonna jump on this movie's back too much.

I'll poke my head back in once I've listened to the commentary.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I really like this movie. The visual details are just incredible. Look foward to this one

Thumbs up Thumbs down

so it's revealed in this commentary that dorkman has an ipad...

ipad (particularly first generation)? really? my hatred of Avatar was finally supplemented by my hatred for the ipad. my party line on that product is it's the easiest way to say "Fuck you. I got money."

but i still love you dorkman.

oh and even though sunshine, to me, is almost two different movies, i liked them both.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, you can see Brian playing with his iPad in this video.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

dexter wrote:

my hatred of Avatar was finally supplemented by my hatred for the ipad. my party line on that product is it's the easiest way to say "Fuck you. I got money."

A $500 computer is a way of demonstrating that you have money? Seriously? That's less than most people have spent on their World of Warcraft subscription. That's like, almost two car payments. That's saving fifty bucks out of your paycheck for a couple months. If I had *money*, I think I could think of some better ways to be a jerk about it than buying a big iPod touch.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Back to the commentary:

How did you guys remember the indie movie Rose Byrne was in called Rage With Placid Lake, but forgot the indie movie Rose Byrne was in called Star Wars Episode II Attack Of The Clones?

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh yeah. She got all blown up. Shit, boom!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

dexter wrote:

ipad (particularly first generation)? really? my hatred of Avatar was finally supplemented by my hatred for the ipad. my party line on that product is it's the easiest way to say "Fuck you. I got money."

You know, it's interesting. I don't remember seeing this kind of vitriol for the first-generation iPhone ($599 baseline -- $100 more than iPad), or for each new rev of the MacBooks ($999 baseline) or MacBook Pro ($1199). People were happy to pay $699 (and up) for the Playstation 3, for which games cost $60 on average and some top-selling games like Rock Band retailing for $140 for a set of instrument-shaped plastic controllers that are really only useful for a very narrow selection of games, and another $60-100 for branded alternatives (e.g. the Beatles). A Game Boy or other handheld is gonna run you $150-$200 just for the device. A decent HDTV will run you at least a grand and go from there, tickets to a sports game, concert, or other one-time live event generally start at $80 a pop if you're willing to sit across the street, and the sky's the limit the closer you get.

And yet someone pays their money for any of those things, nobody bats an eye or dismisses them as having more money than sense. Most people decide they'd like to spend their money on the same thing. But the iPad -- more useful screen real estate than a phone, cheaper and more portable than a laptop, more versatile than an HDTV, more productive than a dedicated gaming system -- is dismissed as the "fuck you I've got money" purchase?

I'm all in agreement that the marketing for the iPad is a circle-jerk of the highest order. There's nothing "magical" about it (there might have been if the iPad had preceded the iPhone, but it didn't), and "revolutionary" remains to be seen; could turn out to be true if it successfully creates a new market and paradigm in consumer computing, but even so it's kind of douchey for Apple to be the ones to say it about their own product the moment it releases (although I guess it's not that different from that 1984 ad everyone venerates, so whatever).

But to dismiss it as a "fuck you, I've got money" device implies that it has no practical use. Maybe for you. But for my part:

1) I read a lot. With scripts, the larger screen makes the iPad better for that task than a phone; the form factor makes it more convenient for the task when I'm on-the-go than a laptop (as does the battery life); the digital nature makes it cheaper in the long run than printing on paper and easier to carry around more than one. With books, the same preferences for a digital reader apply; also, eBooks are generally cheaper than their printed counterparts, I save myself a trip to the bookstore when possible, I can get older or out-of-print books cheaply or even free, and read PDFs. Even reading the Web is much more convenient than a phone, laptop, or desktop computer, because it's handheld but doesn't make me strain my eyes to read tiny type, or zoom in to the point where I can only read a handful of words at once.

2) I write a lot. And while the current writing apps on the iPad almost represent a step backward in some ways (you have to email yourself your latest files in iWork instead of having them sync to/from the "cloud" a la Dropbox), there's still a lot to be said for how little space an iPad + bluetooth keyboard takes up, both in a carrying bag and out of one, vs. a laptop. As it is, I was considering getting a MacBook Air to do writing with, and reserving the MBP solely for production-related work that requires more powerful processing. Now I won't need to, and I spent half of what I would have. Once Final Draft comes out with their iPad app -- assuming it's not a poorly-implemented turd -- I'll have very little reason to carry my laptop around day-to-day.

3) I watch a lot of media. I consider it part of my job as a filmmaker, which is why I enjoy my job. Movies, television, documentaries, interviews, training. Between Netflix, Air Video, the ABC player and YouTube, I've got access to all of it, in a lightweight handheld form factor, anywhere there's an active wifi hotspot -- which, thanks to the Spirit jailbreak and MyWi, is pretty much everywhere I go. Not to mention the iPad's internal storage capacity.

It's totally understandable if you can't think of anything you would use an iPad for, and/or think that the value of what you'd use it for is less than what you'd pay for it. But to dismiss anyone who does see value there as necessarily and solely pretentious, as though it can be nothing more than bourgeois bling, has more to do with the limits of your imagination than those of their credit cards.

You know, IMO. Anyway, SUNSHINE.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Haven't listened to the commentary yet, but I'll say this. I hated the end of this film. Not the actual ending, but more the last half hour. I hated how it all of sudden became a slasher film. If the film had cut that out completely, it would have been great.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, you're gonna like this commentary.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OK, so I totally agree with you guys. I'm glad I watched everything once, but next time I watch this (and I totally will), I'm just going to liberally skip anything dealing with Tilt Shift Guy.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If they wanted it done right they would have sent Bruce Willis.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've owned an iPad for ten days now. And you know what? It is magical. No, not really. But that's as good a word for it as any. It's transcendent. It's a total luxury item, and there's an excellent argument to be made that I shouldn't have spent the money on it, but I would have been amazingly happy with it at, literally, twice the price.

As for the movie … yeah. You guys were back on point this week after an Avatar commentary which — I'm really sorry — disappointed me. When Dorkman said you were doing this one on Twitter, I think my reply was something like "Sunshine is two thirds of a great movie." Words to that effect. Which obviously isn't a unique insight or anything; it seems like everybody shares that opinion more or less. But I think it's true in two respects. First, two thirds of the movie is great; the other third not so much. But if you take out the part that fails — Brian's phantom edit — you're not left with a whole movie. It's missing something.

You guys talked about this throughout the commentary, but I don't think you ever got anywhere with it. That's not a criticism; I can't really crack it either. There's something important missing from the story and I just don't know what it is.

I almost wish it'd been bigger and more mystical — and I rarely say that. The movie's about the fucking sun, for crying out loud. It's the biggest thing in our everyday world, and it's so bright we can't look at it so we have only the faintest notion of what it actually looks like. Primitive cultures worshipped it and it's really not all that hard to see why. It's the fucking sun.

So make it an ensemble character piece on a hard-sci-fi backdrop. There's the guy who gets depressed because he feels so small. There's the guy who gets addicted to staring at it through NDs. There's the guy who's terrified of it but tries to hide it and self-medicates to deal with it. There's the guy who starts having delusions that the sun is alive and talking to him. And conflict emerges between those people.

I dunno. Maybe that's a stupid idea. But on a high-school-lit-class level, there's gotta be some key conflict at play. Man versus man, man versus nature. This movie went with man versus blurry monster, and that's just not cool.

But the stuff that's not terrible is awfully, awfully good.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I do think that that's a movie that should be made. Teague, Brian, Trey, Eric from the other board, I need you guys to take three years out of your life and make Sunshine properly. Please?

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wanna play too. Can I be the second unit second assistant camera's second assistant?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You might call me Deputy Deputy Chief of Staff.

http://westwing.bewarne.com/fourth/images/1WESah02donna.jpg

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

dorkman - you're right about my narrow mindednes, but keep in mind, i am the guy who has lived in the same apartment for a year this month, and only three weeks ago got internet because before i couldn't justify the cost. i don't buy or own any of the niceties you mentioned (and i probably would belittle people for those purchases but that's just other frustrations manifesting themselves as anger smile but it is closeminded of me to assume there is no practical use for the ipad.

anyway, back to what this forum is really about, the last time i saw sunshine was in theaters, and i remember my friends complaint was the same as everyone on DiF. i liked the Jason X analogy (and I think Jason X is actually a fun movie) so as I mentioned before, I liked both halves of this film. i would like to see a movie like brian mentioned, of an Apollo 13 that hasn't happened yet. as everyone else has mentioned, the visuals are just beautiful.

oh and even though it would probably (see definitely) suck i would totally watch Die Hard in space!!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Peter Hyams made it. It was called "Outland." Although admittedly, that was more "High Noon" in space. Okay, it was entirely "High Noon" in space.

The great irony is that just as visual effects have gotten good enough that it might be possible to adapt "Rendezvous with Rama" for the screen, we've reached a sort of point where a story that contemplative and cerebral could never, ever work.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

dexter wrote:

i don't buy or own any of the niceties you mentioned

So, basically what you're saying is, "I don't even own a TV."

Please, kindly, no offense, but please remove your self-righteousness.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

wow. i am sounding like an asshole. which i never meant to do. i meant i don't own an HDTV. i by no means think i am better than someone who does. in fact, wish i did. i so badly want a blu-ray player, it's not funny. but i can't swing it right now. besides, what's the point without the hdtv (1080p not 720... come on, i want true HD).

ANYWAY, sunshine...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If it makes you feel any better, I specifically opted out of buying a Blurry player just a couple weeks ago. My vintage DVD player finally died — motor burned out, I think — and I was all set to go HD when the stories of the Avatar firmware problems began to emerge. I sent Amazon forty bucks, they sent me a very serviceable SD DVD player, and all is well. When we go a year without hearing about mandatory firmware updates and all that crap, I'll buy.

As for the iPad itself, all I can say is use one. Don't just go to the store and play with one for a minute, I mean actually use one for a little while. Cause I was iffy on it until I bought mine — I bought it for a specific purpose — and now I simply cannot imagine trying to live without it. I was at a meeting with some C-level executives at a major federal government agency last week, and I swear, all anybody wanted to do was play with my iPad.

Oh, right. Movie. So the music for "Sunshine" was done at least in part by Underworld, who also contributed to the soundtrack for "Trainspotting," which is another Danny Boyle movie and probably one that's ripe for the Downinfrontening.

And Matthew, I'm not sure I could get through that drinking game drinking water. That's one beardy movie.

I wonder if Danny Boyle and Peter Boyle are related?

Last edited by Jeffery Harrell (2010-05-11 00:54:22)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just figured out how you make a two hour movie out of this after you cut out the terrible villain third.

You cut in the first third of The Core. Dub any mentions of 'the earth's core' with 'the Sun,' and any mention of the mission as 'Icarus 1.' Right before the terranauts start the dig, put 'TEN YEARS LATER' up on the screen, and cut to the shot of the Sun.

Boom. Phantom Edit. Done.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

The great irony is that just as visual effects have gotten good enough that it might be possible to adapt "Rendezvous with Rama" for the screen, we've reached a sort of point where a story that contemplative and cerebral could never, ever work.

Having re-read Rama recently the big problem with it is there is no real plot or characters. It would be visually stunning, but nothing really happens and you end not knowing any answers. Now, I love the book but any movie would have to add a ton of stuff to it.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down