Re: Sunshine

If the script says that a crazy survivor emerges from Icarus I and starts killing them all, I can't see how the finished film could have done it in any other way that what we saw in the final film - without changing the story completely.

If 'Surrogates' can be completely changed in editing because of a trailer, then 'Sunshine' could be completely changed in editing because the ending just isn't working.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Speaking on behalf of the Grand and Ancient Order of Editors, all I have to say is … nuh-uh.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I picked up the DVD in one of those bargain bins.  If the name Brian Cox doesn't ring a bell it should.  He's a physicist at CERN, and was the film's scientific consultant.  He's also the presenter on the BBC series Wonders of the Solar System, and has done a couple of TED talks about the LHC.  Anyway, he did a commentary for the DVD that goes into some detail regarding how they really did try to ground the film in some scientific principals.

Basically the idea they went with is that there are these hypothetical supersymmetrical particles, or Q-balls, that could get lodged in a star, causing it to burn through it's fuel faster than normal (or something like that).  So the idea is that by "dislodging" these particles the star's normal cycle.

It's still a far fetched idea, and he goes on to talk about how the whole solar bomb concept is on the very edge of our scientific understanding, and even the mission physicist (presumably the second best in the world) isn't entirely sure how it works.

Pretty interesting stuff, worth at least a rental to have a listen.

That does sound interesting. Does he have a physics-based explanation for the sun zombie?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Down in Front wrote:

That does sound interesting. Does he have a physics-based explanation for the sun zombie?

Sort of.  He goes into how most of what Pinbacker is going on about is true; eventually the sun will die, consume the Earth, and nothing will remain to indicate that we ever existed.  On a grander scale the universe is expanding, accelerating in it's expansion in fact, and eventually the entropy of that expansion will result in heat death.

Professor Cox doesn't agree with his whole quasi-spiritual-it's-God's-plan-and-who-are-we-to-defy-God angle, but basically what happens to Pinbacker is an existential crisis resulting in a psychological break.  He realizes that eventually it's all going to end anyway, so fuck it, who are we to stop it?  He also talks about the scene where Kaneda is reviewing Pinbacker's log about the meteor storm which he refers to as "beautiful," and how a loaded and inappropriate word that is to describe such an event, given their mission.

Remember how we agreed that Icarus was a silly choice for the name of the mission?  Let's recap: Daedalus builds the wings for Icarus to escape from Crete.  He tells Icarus exactly how to use them, and even warns Icarus not to fly to close to the sun.  Obviously Icarus disregards the instructions, and pays the price for it.  Now, I'm paraphrasing Dr. Cox here, let's look at the myth as an allegory for modern science and hubris, and how we use that technology.  Science leads to technological development, but not the wisdom to use it properly.  Had Icarus listened to the scientist, Daedalus, he would have survived.  Icarus, the computer that runs the ship, does everything to remind the crew that the mission is the important thing here, don't go getting all hypnotized by the power of nature. 

That's essentially what happens to Pinbacker.  I rather think that in this context it would be more appropriate to call the ship Daedalus, the scientist who's always there telling the crew "look, do it this way and the mission will succeed."  I guess it works as a reminder, and Icarus sounds better and is arguably more well know than Daedalus. 

I suppose one could also argue it works when one factors in human hubris, but I think that just makes the entire crew, everyone on Earth who worked on the project in fact, dumber for it.  I mean, say there was a myth about a god called Titanic, who's father built him a boat large enough to fit all his worshipers in, so they might cross the sea to a land where they could worship in peace (or whatever).  This ship was also fast enough to outrun any monster (insert name of God-of-the-sea here) could send after them, but he was warned not to sail too fast, for the journey would have it's obstacles, and if he sailed too fast he would not be able to avoid them.  Titanic, eager to get his people to this new land, disregards his father's advise, and strikes a volcano (or something) God-of-the-sea placed in their path.  The ship is destroyed, and all of Titanic's worshipers die.  Now, would you still name that big ocean liner Titanic?  Probably not.

I think what they were really going for with the film, was a look at the line that separates the known from the unknown, and what it would be like to stand on that line, and be mesmerized by it.  It's the beauty of the know, and the allure of the unknown that drives scientist at the edge to push out even further.  In a way they did the same thing in Event Horizon, only there they got to the edge of their knowledge and found darkness.  Here they reach the edge of knowledge and are simply mesmerized by it, like a moth to a flame, or Deer staring into the headlights of an oncoming car.

Heck, it happened to me once.  Back in high school I had a job a movie theater.  I didn't have a car at the time, so I rode my bike.  So I'm riding home one night, and there happened to be a full moon out.  Now, I know I should be paying attention to where I'm going, but there's no traffic, and the road is going straight ahead, so I take a moment to gaze up at the moon.  Next thing I know I'm plowing sideways into a guard rail and rolling down an embankment.  I still have a scar on my shin from that experience.

So here's what happened in Sunshine.  Icarus I sets out, and along the way Pinbacker got mezmerized by the sun, the power of nature, and ultimately the futility of it all.  Maybe he killed off his crew, maybe they had similar experiences to his, we'll never know.  Pinbacker then spends the next seven years getting a tan, "speaking to God," and somehow not dying from exposure.  So that's Icarus I.  Had Icarus II stayed on course and on mission, all would have likely been fine, but that wouldn't have made for a very dramatic movie, so they pick up Icarus I's distress signal.  Shit.  Well, now what?  Well, you know guys, this bomb we have to deliver?  It's kind of, well, experimental isn't it?  Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a spare?  Capa reluctantly concludes that two is better than one, and Trey makes the calculations to alter their trajectory for a rendezvous.  BTW, also according to Dr. Cox, Trey, the navigator, was supposed to be some sort of mathematical prodigy who had never made a mistake, so score one for hubris.  Heat shield = fucked, captain = dead, Troy = fucked, and, ultimately, dead.  Oh, and com tower = totaled, reflecting light into oxygen garden = fire = we need O2.  Dock, bomb's fine, O2's good, crew's crispy, but we could pull through this.  Pinbacker goes "Oh no you don't, God has spoken!"  BANG! Airlock = fucked.  Crazy (but not as implausible as you might think) blow the inner door (sorry Searle, you'll have to stay behind to blow that manually) and fly though open space (sorry Harvey, should have held on tighter) manuver, and we're down to five crew members + Pinbacker.  So, mission?  Well, we've got enough air for four of us to make it there, but not five.  Fortunately Trey helped us out with that and offed himself, so as long as we don't have any more problems we should be able to complete the mission, even if we can't go home.  Well, it's for the human race and everything so I guess...what's that Icarus?  There isn't enough air to get us there?  But you said there was enough for four...  Oh, shit.  Pinbacker: Surprise, slash!  Capa: Shit, I'm locked in an airlock.  Shit, Mace seems to be fucked, as are the Icarus mainframes.  I have no idea what Cassie or Corazon are up to right now, but I've got to get out of here and complete the mission.  Let's see, what do I have...a suit and a torch...that'll work.  Sorry girls, but if Pinbacker hasn't got to you yet, or you haven't had the idea of getting into the bomb compartment, you're ride is about to be cut short as I decompress the entire fucking spaceship.  Oh, hey Corazon, hope you were already dead.  Ok, timer set, now I just have to walk to the bomb, making sure not to trip on anything on the wa...shit.  Ok, made it with two seconds to spare, damn I'm good!  So long Icarus II, guess we'll never find out how that tiny heat shield was going to protect us all the way back to Earth, when we had this huge one to get us out here in the first place.  Ok, lets set this sucker off!  Oh, hi Cassie, guess your still alive after all.  Shit, so is Pinbacker.  Cassie, while you're around could you help me deal with this guy, he's kind of lost it and killed everyone else.  Ok, that's done, now, Tab A into Slot B...enter PIN number...and that should do it!  Ooooh, pretty!  Eight minutes later, on Earth: Hope you kids have had fun making snow men in Sydney; break out the short pants cause everything's gonna be just fine!  Oh, except you'll never find out what happened to your uncle, but he'll be listed as presumed dead in few years when the mission never returns.  Poor kids.

One dude lost his shit, another dude flipped a coin, and another dude forgot to carry the 1.  That's about it.  Now go listen to that commentary.

The Rage in Placid Lake is on Netflix Instant now. I haven't seen it, but FYI smile (added to my queue)

Rose Byrne is now great in Bridesmaids smile

Enjoying the commentary so far, back to it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Brian Cox is quite popular over here in the UK and he's had several TV series - Wonders of the Solar System and Wonders of the Universe being the best ones. I'm a big fan, he's similar to Carl Sagan in the sense that he clearly loves science and relishes telling people about it.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, and he was great in Manhunter.

(Kidding, kidding. Chill.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was listening to this track the other day and the Going to the Mansion thing came up and it reminded me a lot of the movie Hollow Man.  I thought that movie had a lot of potential to explore what it would do to your morality if you could no longer be seen.  The movie started out ok, although obviously the science was bullshit. The final 3rd of the movie totally went to the mansion.  The guy you couldn't see all of a sudden had super powers and couldn't be killed.  Not only that but he had the remarkable ability to never get dirty for more than a couple of seconds at a time.  Trey mentioned Hollow Man in another commentary that I forget, something about somebody that worked at a visual effects company asking him his opinion on taking on the project and his response.  They totally did there job but that movie seriously needed script work.  I've watched Hollow Man more times than I care to admit but I ended up with a decent Rifftrax-esque commentary for it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Raven wrote:

I was listening to this track the other day and the Going to the Mansion thing came up and it reminded me a lot of the movie Hollow Man.  I thought that movie had a lot of potential to explore what it would do to your morality if you could no longer be seen.  The movie started out ok, although obviously the science was bullshit. The final 3rd of the movie totally went to the mansion.  The guy you couldn't see all of a sudden had super powers and couldn't be killed.  Not only that but he had the remarkable ability to never get dirty for more than a couple of seconds at a time.  Trey mentioned Hollow Man in another commentary that I forget, something about somebody that worked at a visual effects company asking him his opinion on taking on the project and his response.  They totally did there job but that movie seriously needed script work.  I've watched Hollow Man more times than I care to admit but I ended up with a decent Rifftrax-esque commentary for it.

I use to enjoy Hollow Man way more than I probably should but recently it has dawned on me just how ridiculous the way it portrays him. It's like, Kevin Bacon would have snapped and started killing people regardless, but invisibility just made it happen sooner.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I still have a soft-spot for Hollow Man. You have to approach it more as a slasher movie instead of a smart sci-fi movie. And a slasher movie where the slasher is an invisible guy, directed by Verhoeven is still pretty awesome. The FX work is really good too.

For Sunshine, the biggest problem is execution. Crazy psycho on a spaceship is a perfectly reasonable choice for a 3rd act, it's just executed really badly, with that awful editing where you can't tell what the hell is even going on. If you did that exact same 3rd act, but filmed it the way the Kitchen scene is done in Jurrasic Park, it would be amazing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:

I use to enjoy Hollow Man way more than I probably should but recently it has dawned on me just how ridiculous the way it portrays him. It's like, Kevin Bacon would have snapped and started killing people regardless, but invisibility just made it happen sooner.

The Director's Cut was paced a little better, and gave you the impression that he devolved over time.  It also showed longer cuts of his violent acts that made his leap to killing people less of a snapping moment and more in line with a path he was on.  That still didn't fix any of the problems I had with the final 3rd of the movie but it was better.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I still have a soft-spot for Hollow Man. You have to approach it more as a slasher movie instead of a smart sci-fi movie. And a slasher movie where the slasher is an invisible guy, directed by Verhoeven is still pretty awesome. The FX work is really good too.

For Sunshine, the biggest problem is execution. Crazy psycho on a spaceship is a perfectly reasonable choice for a 3rd act, it's just executed really badly, with that awful editing where you can't tell what the hell is even going on. If you did that exact same 3rd act, but filmed it the way the Kitchen scene is done in Jurrasic Park, it would be amazing.

The same could be said about the film, Supernova, starting James Spader, of all people. It has the same, essential lot, as Sunshine, but gets a lot...weider.

Yeah, the FX work in Hollow Man is still among my favorite pieces.

http://www.cinemotions.com/data/films/0000/77/2/Hollow_man__l_homme_sans_ombre_2000_Hollow_Man_6.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

My biggest problem is that it wasn't a slasher flick and the only advantage he was supposed to have was his invisibility.  I'm ok with him going crazy and killing people but the fact that he becomes an unstoppable monster ala Jason Voorhees is where it loses me.  He could breathe under water longer than someone he was drowning, he got lit on fire, electricuted and smashed in the head with a crowbar and still got up to chase after Brolin and Shue.  And for some reason his invisibility went away during the final scenes.  They took the time to set up why explosions were happening but didn't explain why he would survive any of those things.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Raven wrote:
bullet3 wrote:

My biggest problem is that it wasn't a slasher flick and the only advantage he was supposed to have was his invisibility.  I'm ok with him going crazy and killing people but the fact that he becomes an unstoppable monster ala Jason Voorhees is where it loses me.  He could breathe under water longer than someone he was drowning, he got lit on fire, electricuted and smashed in the head with a crowbar and still got up to chase after Brolin and Shue.  And for some reason his invisibility went away during the final scenes.  They took the time to set up why explosions were happening but didn't explain why he would survive any of those things.

Co-written by Michael Bay? What? wink

(it's a joke people)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

You said you bought the Blu-Ray, so you have the movie with the second
commentary with the British scientist.
I have listen to it a couple of times myself. I would suggest that anybody who has
a problem with the third act of this movie, listen to that commentary by the scientist.
He has a nice soothing UK accent and he explains almost everything, and even some
things you probably didn't think about. He even mentions the gravity coming on
after the hatch pressurizes, and how the artificial gravity on the ship doesnt really
have any science behind it, that it works without spinning anything, and that it can be turned
off and on, and when the door closed, that the computer turned the gravity on at the same
time, rhus they fell down.  That is one of the Sci-Fi parts of the movie, but that most of the
movie tries to keep it all grounded in fact, except the third act, but that was done on purpose.
just listen, you wont be disappointed.

As for the Third act Burning Man, the reason that the camera goes all crazy is explained
by Cillian Murphys character about 30 minutes into the movie, IDK why everybody
has such a problem with it. I love every frame of this movie.
The captain of the first Icarus went insane, but also is messed up from
the sun.  It has to do with the gravity of the sun, and how it distorts time, space,
matter, and that the captain has someone been affected by this.
this is why the camera messes up when it tries to film him, maybe if Trey
knew this, and that it wasn't done to try and cover up bad makeup,
then maybe he would be OK with it, because that seems to be his
biggest problem was the camera thing, since he mentions it several
times during the commentary.

I am not a physicist, so I would not begin to try and understand it all,
but I was totally satisfied with the fact that I didn't need to know.

Last edited by mkeithddc (2014-03-02 16:46:07)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think the problem is scientific. It's tonal. Sunshine turns into a completely different kind of movie in the last half-hour, and it's not nearly as good.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I don't think the problem is scientific. It's tonal. Sunshine turns into a completely different kind of movie in the last half-hour, and it's not nearly as good.

The tone changes, so? This was totally intentional.
Look at a movie like "From Dusk till Dawn", great movie IMHO,
but total tone shift out of nowhere, and the movie was better
for it. I dont think that Sunshine come from out of nowhere though,
there are clues to help transition us

There really is no difference between this movie and 2001:A space odyssey.
with 2001 it starts off with complete mundane space stuff, then accidents
happen space stuff, to total insanity star child.

Everyone keeps saying that Sunshine turned into a "slasher".
Thats totally wrong, even as a matter of there is only  people
left, and any real slasher movie has way more. The guy who
had his wrists slit wasn't a victim, he really did kill himself, listen
to danny boyles commentary if you dont believe me.

Pinbacker wasnt killing off the crew becuase he wanted to,
they were going to interfere with his plan to let the sun destroy the earth.
he was completely off his rocker. The fate of the first mission was
unknownn at the beginning of the movie, but it was def put out
there through multiple foreshadowing that it was going to be a
part of act 3, and that it wasnt going to be just "we need to finish
the mission" type of movies.

I think most people have problem with this movie were the ones who,
on its very first viewing, totally missed the foreshadow of act 3.
anytime there is total "sticker shock" like this fromm any movie
iin the past, there was backlash on that movie.
sometimes its a small set of the viewers, sometimes its a big
set.

I am not trying to sound like a smart ass here, but I knew that
something was going on with the first mission, and it was
coming up in the movie, Ala Event Horizon, which also has
a similar setup, going somewhere way out to and dock to
a ship that was a mysterious failed mission. in the end
it was a "burned/melted man" that was the bad guy.
and alot of people didn't like that movie, they didn't get it,
and didn't realize that EH had serious supernatural things
going on. people thought that the pinbacker in sunshine
was supposed to be supernatual, and that is why they
didnt get it, but there is no supernatural stuff going on,
fringe science yes, but all based on logic. the burned up
pinbacker glowed because he had "soaked up the sun"
and it was a type of fission going on with his tissue,
it was fringe stuff, but not supernatural.

whether you liked it or not, the 3rd act of this movie,
while a shift in tone, was forshadowed. I got it, I liked it/loved it.
you didnt, milage may vary....

peace and chicken grease

word out -- Mike K. from Fort Myers, USA

Last edited by mkeithddc (2014-03-02 19:42:12)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We're talking about two different things. Plot-wise, it was foreshadowed, sure. But the way that Boyle depicted it was not. It did turn into a slasher movie. And there's probably a way to do that while keeping it in line with everything that came before.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

We're talking about two different things. Plot-wise, it was foreshadowed, sure. But the way that Boyle depicted it was not. It did turn into a slasher movie. And there's probably a way to do that while keeping it in line with everything that came before.

Lets just say, for the sake of this aurgument, that you are right about the slasher business,
and tone.

So what? why does this movie have to play by some rule book? the movies was good, there for,
it shouldnt matter why ot was good.

Spoilers for The Forgotten Show
Lets just say that we have a movie, a drama, and halfway through there is aliens
abducting people. But somehow its still a good movie, cause it did it with style.
Do we say, "well it was a good movie, but it didnt play by my film school textbook,
so its no good, I give it 1 star". would that be fair??[

Oh and BTW, that is a real movie, its called The Forgotten, with Julian Moore,
lots of people hated it, I loved it. I gues I am just wierd.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To your spoiler: I'm not sure what you're getting at. "well it was a good movie, but it didnt play by my film school textbook, so its no good, I give it 1 star" makes no sense. If it's a bad movie, it's a bad movie. Literally no one has ever said this.

The fact that it changes tones so rapidly and unexpectedly is a bad thing. It is a thing that good movies shouldn't do. You can enjoy it if you want, that's perfectly alright. But we're not talking about enjoyment. We're talking about quality. It's not about "playing by some rulebook." Sunshine does something in its third act that fundamentally changes the kind of movie it is, and what it becomes is dumber than what it was. For me, and the podcast hosts, that's a major mark against the film.

So when you say, "the movie was good, therefore, it shouldn't matter why it was good," I'm confused as to what your point is. If you don't care about what makes a movie good, then there's no point in arguing about exactly that, right? Maybe you could clarify? I'm genuinely confused and I want to understand what you're saying.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thinking on it some more, it should really be treated more like the finale of Blade Runner, where the villain is articulate, and you kind of get where he's coming from. They should've ditched all the stupid make-up effects and just had him be a guy. Give him a chance to actually speak and interact with the crew, and then when it does turn into a "hide from the killer" situation, film it in a coherent way that conveys the geography of the situation and heightens tension.

It could absolutely be done in a way that worked, Danny Boyle just dropped the ball.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

mkeithddc wrote:

As for the Third act Burning Man, the reason that the camera goes all crazy is explained
by Cillian Murphys character about 30 minutes into the movie, IDK why everybody
has such a problem with it. I love every frame of this movie.
The captain of the first Icarus went insane, but also is messed up from
the sun.  It has to do with the gravity of the sun, and how it distorts time, space,
matter, and that the captain has someone been affected by this.
this is why the camera messes up when it tries to film him, maybe if Trey
knew this, and that it wasn't done to try and cover up bad makeup,
then maybe he would be OK with it, because that seems to be his
biggest problem was the camera thing, since he mentions it several
times during the commentary.

Sorry, but
http://media2.giphy.com/media/6iWLxCrCWJ572/giphy.gif

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Thinking on it some more, it should really be treated more like the finale of Blade Runner, where the villain is articulate, and you kind of get where he's coming from. They should've ditched all the stupid make-up effects and just had him be a guy. Give him a chance to actually speak and interact with the crew, and then when it does turn into a "hide from the killer" situation, film it in a coherent way that conveys the geography of the situation and heightens tension.

It could absolutely be done in a way that worked, Danny Boyle just dropped the ball.

I see where your coming from.  The thing is that I disagree with the fact that, like o submarine says,
becuase it changes tone in act 3, the film is now "dumber".
Also, I don't think he "dropped the ball".

But this should be opinion, is all I am saying. Not fact. As if the film gods say:

(spoken in a Kings court anouncement bellow)
"O' so it be written hensforth, that any film who changes tone in Act III is garbage, That is all"

I just dont by into that. If I film 2 hours of a dog crapping, and a bunch of people
thinks its art, than its art. 

I flip out when people try and break protocol
and cut out a step when doing something. So I agree that a film should have this
kind of sructure that makes sense.
Its just that sometimes people will say F-you and make a movie that doesn't follow
the rules, and despite this, it will be a good movie, to me.

You guys don't agree, OK, I'm cool with that. Just don't tell me that I should
think that it is crap, or that I am not allowed to think that the filmmakers
were OK with what they did, this should be opinion, not fact..

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You don't have to think anything. But by your logic, there's no such thing as a bad movie. And I think we can all agree that there clearly is.

What's a movie that you think is bad? Think about why you consider that movie bad, and whether or not it's as valid a reason as our reason for disliking Sunshine.

Thumbs up Thumbs down