Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (BOOK READERS ONLY; MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD)

Hmm.  I can see how they might swap Shae for Dontos to streamline things a bit, yes.   

But they did establish Dontos, even though he hasn't been seen since Season Two.   I suppose they could have kept him just to have the scene where Sansa saves him by manipulating Joffrey, without intending to use the rest of his story as written.

But yeah - whether it's Dontos or Shae, somebody whispering in Sansa's ear and suggesting a plan of escape would be a good breadcrumb to drop next week.

I don't know, Shae is a pretty important part of Tyrion's transformation in the books, as her presence in Tywin's chambers infuriates Tyrion further. More importantly, her disappearance after the wedding robs her of being able to betray him during his trial, which is a significant moment for him. I just think if you've already got Dontos, then that's enough, since you don't really need to do much to establish the plan and it's quite fun to watch as you sense it's going to end badly with Dontos at the helm.

Alternatively, it makes much more sense to have the Queen of Thorns/Tyrells arrange it with Sansa, since they're supposed to be interacting alot at this time.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My own thoughts - most has already been said.

Joffrey's Wedding: it's difficult. I don't think it'd be a good season-ender, but it doesn't need much more setup either.

To me, it's definitely going to be sometime during next season's first half. I like the idea of having it in episode 4. Most of the first three episodes' King's Landing screen time would focus on Sansa.

Then the rest of the season can have Tyrion's trial, his trial by combat - which would be a great way to start introducing the Martells, as they start being important thereafter; dismissing them entirely would be odd - and the murder of his father (which I can't wait for, one of my favorite chapters from the books).

Dontos/Shae: I guess it'd make more sense to bring Dontos back. His appearance in season 2 might only have been there for Sansa/Joffrey - and a way to keep some minor characters, as they've already had to ditch so many - but I don't really see how it would go with Shae. They'd have to change too many things. Dontos and Sansa's secret meetings - although originally in book 2 - would correctly fill her screen time. As already said, Dontos would then have to appear next week to start it.

I don't believe the Tyrells could fill that role either; having failed to get Sansa with Loras, they completely forget about her. A nice reminder of what this is all about - a game of thrones.

Coldhands: definitely. We've followed Sam closely this season, and he and Gilly only arrived at the Wall this week, so it wouldn't make sense not to show him next week - and his only event left is to meet Coldhands.

Jorah's banishment: oh yes.

Dany: My guess is that they'll hint at how hard it's gonna be for her to rule Yunkai. Originally, the city she takes is Meereen, having already gone through Yunkai - and Yunkai starts to build up an army to take her down. So maybe they've switched the two and we'll start hearing about Meereen.

It's also likely that she'll start developing her relationship with Daario next week.

The Lannisters: Nothing much here. They'll probably be shown talking about their victory over Robb.

Jon Snow: It's going to take a bit of screen time to show him gone back to Castle Black. My guess is that the episode could end with the wildlings attacking the Castle, much like last season with the Others attacking the Fist of the First Men.

Bran: My main guess is that he'll meet with Sam and Coldhands. The last we'll see of them is getting to the other side of the Wall.

Lady Stoneheart: it would certainly be awesome, but I think it's too soon. I think she'll only appear when Brienne gets caught by the Brotherhood next season.

Phi wrote:

Incidentally, is anyone else annoyed with the number of people who are 'dead' but (probably) not really? Brienne and Jon are currently in limbo.

Brienne isn't; she's seen alive in book 5, apparently spared by the Brotherhood.

EDIT : oooh, question: do you think Benjen Stark is still alive ? I'd completely forgotten about him.

Last edited by Saniss (2013-06-06 17:16:40)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

do you think Benjen Stark is still alive ? I'd completely forgotten about him.

Seems like the prevailing opinion is that Coldhands is the reanimated Benjen. 

But of course that's also the easiest answer, so maybe not.

Trey wrote:
Saniss wrote:

do you think Benjen Stark is still alive ? I'd completely forgotten about him.

This is another way that the show could reveal things before the books do. If Coldhands looks like Benjen, then we have our answer. The show's had to play around stuff like this before. The Arstan Whitebeard reveal was drastically changed, because the audience would know who it was on sight.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can't say I remember what Benjen Stark looks like in the show, nor would I as a viewer-only be likely to remember he even existed -- in the books we were reminded of him pretty much every Jon chapter, but in the show it's easy to forget he's partly the reason they went North of the Wall in the first place.

Anyway, they could just have him cover his face with a scarf if they want to hide his identity, though if they show some Benjen Stark action in a "previously on Game of Thrones" intro that'll kind of tip their hand.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Coldhands never shows his face, not even to Bran and the others.  The only visible part of him are his frozen hands.

Which would make sense if he's trying to avoid being recognized by his nephew... or could be a red herring so we'll assume it's Benjen and be wrong later.

Dorkman wrote:

Anyway, they could just have him cover his face with a scarf if they want to hide his identity, though if they show some Benjen Stark action in a "previously on Game of Thrones" intro that'll kind of tip their hand.

Picturing Coldhands with a casual plaid balaclava is a good way to start my day.

Saniss - while it would be more in line with the books to bring back Lady Stoneheart later (thought she does come back before Brienne), I think it would pack more punch for the viewers to bring her in at the finale. It keeps the momentum going when you see LS (or, as a few have suggested, see Nymeria dragging Cat from the river) right after the RW. We might not get her story, but a short scene of her ordering a hanging of some Freys would be a good cliffhanger.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

It does seem logical, though. I can't remember whether I thought about it when I read the books or not.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, reverse-engineering the process of writing the show, I would ask why we got a complete step-by-step tutorial of How The Brotherhood Raises The Dead a few episodes back, if they weren't going to pay it off until next season.

Arya even asks them if they can bring back someone who's lost their head - meaning Ned.   Well, Arya, maybe not your dad, but...

And of all the reveals and reversals they could choose to end the season on, Lady Stoneheart is far and away the biggest bombshell.

It is, but right now I can't really figure out how they would show it.

The show works the same way the books do - each sequence follows one particular character. Which character would that particular sequence be following?

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

And of all the reveals and reversals they could choose to end the season on, Lady Stoneheart is far and away the biggest bombshell.

Yeah, the more I think about it, if they're not going to kill Joffrey, revealing Catelyn's resurrection is the only ending this season can have that would get broken-hearted viewers amped for Season 4.

Saniss wrote:

The show works the same way the books do - each sequence follows one particular character. Which character would that particular sequence be following?

Which character were we following when they reveal her in the book?

It's not like the books don't sometimes introduce a POV character just for one chapter, at the end of which they die horribly and in so doing reveal something to us. And honestly, if we got a stinger where some random Freys were captured by the Brotherhood and brought before Stoneheart for execution, I don't think there'd be much outcry about the show breaking the POV conceit.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, if I was assigned to write it....

Early on, maybe right at the start of the episode: The morning after the RW, the Freys are celebrating and mopping up.  We see Robb's body with his wolf's head sewn on, Catelyn dumped in the river.  Flawless victory for the Lannisters. Sad, sad, sad.

Follow somebody else for a while... then back to...

Arya's vision where she wargs into Nymeria and pulls her mother's body from the river, then flees when the Brotherhood arrives.   

Alternate, just show it straight rather than through a vision - but the vision is a nice way to tie it to Arya, whom we also need to see in this episode.  So let's make the vision the beginning of her segment, then she wakes up from it - what did THAT mean?    And then we resolve her adventure with the Hound and she's done for the season.

Follow others again for a bit...

End of episode, The Brotherhood around the fire, doing a ritual.  We're not sure what it's about at first... mumbo jumbo mumbo jumbo... holy shit.  Zombie Catelyn WTF

End credits.

I was unsure about having a POV character only for that. The books do that for prologues/epilogues, but the show hasn't done it yet (or I have forgotten about it).

The way Trey's described it could work, though.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think Stoneheart is a bit too early, and that the show really needs to let the audience dwell on recent events - not go 'oh well, some of them are already back!' Part of the surprise in the books is that it comes after you've had ample time to accept that the RW happened and that there's little hope for the Starks.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well if that's the case, then what will be the big OMG that closes the episode and the season and gets people speculating about next season?   

Season One closed with OMG dragons!
Season Two closed with OMG Walkers!
Season Three... ?

Mance's army approaching the wall, giants and all?
Honestly Dany's ending might be strong enough on its own, I don't think they necessarily need a "shocking" ending, the shocker was ep 9. I do think they'll do Stoneheart though, just to get the really mad Red Wedding people a reason to come back next season.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I actually do think we'll see the wildling horde approaching the Wall next week, that's probably going to be our omg ending as far as the Jon Snow storyline goes.   And it might even be the final image of the episode -- as closers go, that's a pretty good one.

Either way, I think Lady Stoneheart is gonna be in there, too - chronologically that happens immediately after the RW, so it makes sense to get to it now rather than next season.

Question: Who do you think Dani´s riders will be?
I've already said that I believe John Snow will be one of her riders but who will be the other?
Will it be Bran who will be warg(ing?) into one of the Dragons? I know it's super thin but that's my pet theory right now.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a5/95/b0/a595b059923b4052c242546685b6be5e.jpg

Last edited by AshDigital (2013-06-08 12:53:23)

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

I've heard a lot of people say Tyrion, but I dislike him so I reject that theory out of hand. 

I'm assuming it will actually be Aegon Targaryen, although I doubt the person we've been told is Aegon is actually him.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, I have thought about the three riders problem some time ago-
I actually would not exclude that the Aegon we were presented is real. Three dragons are pretty badass to have, but what if Dany actually allies with Aegon somewhere along the ride but later (as he reveals himself to be more of the mad kings state of mind as is already hinted in book 5) they part ways again, though Aegon even got around to controll a dragon? Might lead to some interesting fx scenes towards the end.

On the other hand- what would be the point of the extensive development novel of Bran, when he will not warg into something awesome? Wait- perhaps Aegon gets hold of a dragon, reveals his true self and is then stopped by his own dragon via Brans remote control?
This could also be the case if the Greyjoy gets hold of one by means of the horn.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Well, just saw the season finale, and...

SPOILER Show
they took every plotline right to the brink of the big turning points we've talked about... and then didn't follow through with any of them.   I can understand wanting to hold back and not do ALL of them... but none?   

Although there was nothing I'd call bad about the episode, as a season finale it seemed a little anticlimactic.   Hey, it's not my show, so what do I know?  smile

But at least they're all locked and loaded to have all kinds of craziness go down at the start of next season...

SPOILER Show
I think it's the Shelob problem. After a huge climax like last week's, you don't want to follow it with another one.

Next season should start with a good ol' bang though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya, but unfortunately they really botched the execution of the Mhysa scene, which they banked on to be their big closer. The way it was staged/shot it came off silly and laughable, and left people on a disappointed note despite the rest of the episode being a quite-good epilogue. Probably the first time I think they've dropped the ball on anything execution-wise in this series.

Thumbs up Thumbs down