Re: Top Five thread.

Kyle wrote:

5.  George Thorogood and the Destroyers- I Drink Alone.
4.  Pat Benatar- Invincible.

George Thorogood became the King of Rock and Roll in 1977 the day Elvis died and held the title until REM killed rock and roll in 1988 with Green.

Pat Benatar doesn't get enough credit because of all the synth. There should be a whole album of cover songs of straight guys doing chick rock. And it should include "It's Raining Men".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGLZqDXau98

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Kyle wrote:

4.  The Bumblebee Tuna Song.  Once upon a time, Fig and I were teenagers, and weren't the vagina-hardened womanizers we are today.  He didn't work in Hollywood, and I wasn't an awesome independent pro wrestler.  We were just a couple of kids making horribly self-indulgent movies and riding around in his spruce Taurus, and this song was BLARED like none other in our collection.  Very few songs could bring a reaction out of the hot girls next to us at the red lights like this one.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Lrh6z-VDc

This song is amazing.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Top 5 memories of my best friend.  That slot is sort of interchangeable between a couple of guys, since Sean gets into more shit I'll use him for this purpose.

1)  Sean and I went to a private press event (Sean writes for EGM) for the releasing of a game for the original XBOX called "Greg Hastings Paintball."  This was back in 2005, I think.  The soundtrack for the game was done by DJ Lethal and B-real, so the event was at Lethal's studio near the Capitol Records building.  Free food and beer, and Greg Hastings (apparently a big name in the paintball world) was there too.  Everyone was cool as shit, and I would have had a great time with just that....until BReal put a thousand dollars on the table and said "This goes to the winner of the tournament.  Apparently, there was a 2 man team tournament for the Greg Hastings Paintball game, of all the press guys there.  Sean and I entered, and after several keg stands we realized we ruled at Greg Hastings Paintball, and ended up winning the whole thing by a razor thin margin.  Sean had just taped a show with Hal Sparks, and he met us over at Fred 62's where he and I talked Kung Fu for an hour straight.  All in all, a good night.

2)  In 2004 I was training for a huge Jiu Jitsu tournament in Vegas, and Sean flew down to hang in LA for a couple days before we flew over to Vegas for a) the tournament and b) to hang out in Vegas with one of his friends, who was a Suicide Girl.  He helped me train before we went down, and we capped the night off with Kareoke with some friends.  The night before I was trying to make weight, and wasn't eating much, but he was starving, so we settled on a all you can eat crab leg thing at the Sahara.  I could have some crab legs, but Sean taunted me with over 2 pounds of crab.  I finished mine in 4 minutes, and had to spend the next 20 minutes, or 47 years, watching him eat his while I was starving.  I ended up losing in the tournament, so we left early and met up with Sita and got drunk on the strip and met the most amazingly bad house magician at the Imperial Palace. 

3)  Sean's E3 2005 article was a photo scavanger hunt between him and Andrew Pfister, and I was on Sean's team.  We had things on our list like "Girl only there for boyfriend," "Not getting any off that booth babe," "Fattest Fat," "Worst Booth," and "Proof of the Occult."  Afterwards we went to Sony's party at Dodger stadium where Incubus played and I got to meet most of Jurrassic 5.

4) 4th of July 2004, Sean wanted to celebrate America like a bad motherfucker, so I flew up to SF to partake. We took his then girlfriends 4 foot tall stuffed bunny (named "Pat," apparently) and stuffed him with 20 pounds of "Safe and Sane," fireworks, korean desserts, and lighter fluid.  We took him to an underutilized BART tunnel and set him off.  He burned for 15 glorious minutes, periodically detonating off spinners and roman candles, until he was smoldering ash.  We realized that we had technically committed a felony, so we got the fuck out.  As we drove off we saw two firetrucks heading toward where we had just came from, and then saw the GIANT pillar of smoke we had left in our wake.

5)  Sean's brother is a Major in the Marines and used to have a house in North San Diego.  He and his wife were both out of town for a few weeks and asked Sean to house sit.  Sean is a writer and can do his work from anywhere so this worked out.  I was off work for a few weeks, so I came down too so we could work on a few projects together.  Matt (Sean's brother) mentioned that he was going to retile the floor and that if were really in the mood, he would leave the tools for us to strip the existing tile out of the kitchen before he got back.  We said we'd be happy too.  As soon as Matt left I turned to Sean and said, "You know we're going to just knock out enough tiles to spell 'I heart cock,' right?"  Sean was way ahead of me, and within 4 hours Matt's kitchen floor was a testament to how much he indeed loved cock. 

I have pictures of ALL of these events.

Top 5 worst costumes you've seen at a Convention of any kind.

Last edited by Eddie (2010-10-12 17:43:53)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Matt Vayda wrote:

Apparently Dorkman drives stick.

I thought this was general knowledge.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

vidina wrote:
Matt Vayda wrote:

Apparently Dorkman drives stick.

I thought this was general knowledge.

Vidina FTW.

Oh, I just got that.

Brian, I'm appointing you homophobic commissioner.  Is that offensive?

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ShadowDuelist wrote:
Kyle wrote:

4.  The Bumblebee Tuna Song.  Once upon a time, Fig and I were teenagers, and weren't the vagina-hardened womanizers we are today.  He didn't work in Hollywood, and I wasn't an awesome independent pro wrestler.  We were just a couple of kids making horribly self-indulgent movies and riding around in his spruce Taurus, and this song was BLARED like none other in our collection.  Very few songs could bring a reaction out of the hot girls next to us at the red lights like this one.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Lrh6z-VDc

This song is amazing.

Fuck, this is still stuck in my head.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Looks like the costumes aren't happening so how about best movie going experiences?

1)  Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  When me and 3 buds (wasted) saw the part where Chow Yun-fat chases Zhang Ziyi we were like 'wtf?' A lot of the audience reacted too. I looked over incredulously to my friend who was laughing and he said "they're flying". Always makes me smile.
2)  Weekend at Bernie's.  It was popular, i went with a date, the theatre was packed. Everyone laughed their guts out. Next time a saw it (either on vhs or tv) it was 'meh'. There's something really special about sharing an experience like that with a big theatre full of people.
3)  Dune.  I really wanted to see this thing. I had already read the tie-in paperback. I drive with my older brother to the nearest theatre 50 miles away, in my POS '76 plymouth fury wagon, in a blizzard with foot-high snow drifts on the highway. I fell asleep. We met a young couple who were stranded and gave them a ride to a motel back home, which was halfway to where they were going. They asked if i'd be willing to drive them home the next morning and make some money. I agreed even though my brother didn't like it because of the snow. I had recently gotten my first car and i wanted to drive and drive. The next morning i can barely get to the car because of the snow. I call them up and they ended up taking a taxi all the way home. Not really pleasant, but memorable.
4)  Contact.  During the long silence at the beginning, munch munch munch of people eating popcorn.
5)  Uncle Buck.  In downtown Toronto on a nice summer afternoon looking for work. I decide i'll go see a matinee which i'd never done before. Hart warming movie. A pleasant experience that stuck with me.

If you have some stories please share.

Otherwise, top 5 modern buildings.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

beldar wrote:

If you have some stories please share.

Otherwise, top 5 modern buildings.

Seeing The Incredible Melting Man with grade school friends when in came out around 1977 and then going across the street in my small home town and eating an extra-cheese pizza.

Seeing The Spy Who Loved Me in that same theater the same year and going home and telling the whole story to my mom, standing in her bedroom doorway.

Seeing O Brother Where Art Thou in 2000, with friends from work and finding a new movie that made me feel like a kid again. The next day at work I uploaded a picture of George Clooney in the Soggy Bottom Boys beard to my account on the new corporate directory, where it stayed for a year.

Assuming "modern" is 1900 or after (which eliminates a lot of my favorite buildings....)

1. The Chrysler Building. Just brilliant.

2. The Empire State Building. Perfection. This is what a skyscraper is.

3. Grand Central Terminal, NYC. Lives up to the moniker "grand" inside and out.

4. Falling Water. I don't like FL Wright; I think he was overrated and a jerk and a lousy engineer. But this—and the Ennis House—are undeniable evidence of genius.

5. Patronus Towers. Not just big.

Next: top 5 weather conditions.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

1. Thunderstorms. I love thunderstorms. big_smile
2. Light rain, preferably warm. I enjoy going out for walks in this kind of weather.
3. A sunny, breezy day in spring or fall.
4. Blizzards, on days when you don't need to go outside.
5. Sunny with scattered clouds.

Top 5 conspiracy theories.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1. All conspiracy theories are actually just one big cover up to make sure the public never learns the truth, which is that the world isn't perfect and nobody's in charge.

Top 5 Conspiracy theories

1. Assassin's Creed
2. Zeitgeist
3. Zeitgeist addendum
4. Old world secrets the omega project
5. Da Vinci Code

Top 5 comedies this side of the century.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1) Shaun of the Dead
2) Anchorman
3 (tie) The Life Aquatic / The Royal Tenenbaums
4) Tropic Thunder
5) A Serious Man

Next, best audiobooks.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Don't really listen to a lot of audiobooks, but I just started the Harry potter series (Narrated by Stephen Fry! Eeeeee!!) and so far they are freaking awesome. (I'm about halfway through Prisoner of Azkaban right now)

That's all I have t say on the matter.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I recently listened to some superhero things by Graphic Audio and was surprised by how much i liked them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Top 5 albums - at the moment

1) Tactical Neural Implant - Front Live Assembly (features samples from Robocop 2)
2) Greater Wrong of the Right - Skinny Puppy (after a ten year hiatus)
3) Strawberries - The Damned (Stranger on the Town and Under the Floor Again!)
4) Music for a Slaughtering Tribe - :wumpscut: (redefined dark, electronic music)
5) Hau Ruck - KMFDM (a masterpiece of Ultra Heavy Beat Deluxe)

Where Geek Meets Goth

I prefer Ruck Zuck, actually. smile

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The remix album is pretty cool. I love KMFDM's covers. Here's my top 5 of those.

1) Being Boiled (Human League)
2) Material Girl (Madonna - of course)
3) Mysterious Ways (U2)
4) These Boots are Made for Walkin' (Nancy Sinatra)
5) Der Mussolini (Deutsch-Americanische Freundschaft)

Where Geek Meets Goth

Did you hear En Esch's cover of Terrible Lie?

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yep. He recorded it with Guenter Schulz. I prefer his cover of Ministry's Work For Love, though. I have a fondness for cover albums, particularly of the gothic-industrial variety. A nice lead in to another top 5. Top 5 gothic-industrial cover albums.

1) Virgin Voices: A Tribute to Madonna
2) Blackest Album: A Gothic-Industrial Tribute to Metallica
3) A Gothic-Industrial Tribute to Smashing Pumpkins (and I don't even like the band)
4) The Passion of Covers: a Tribute to Bauhaus
5) Reflections in the Looking Glass: A Tribute to Siouxsie and the Banshees

Where Geek Meets Goth

hi i thing
    1 . Avatar
      2 . How to Train Your Dragon
      3 . Clash of the Titans
      4 . Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
      5 . Alice in Wonderland
these are best
review this heating install

Last edited by Vicpum (2010-11-27 07:05:35)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Welcome to the forum, Vicpum!

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Vicpum wrote:

hi i thing
    1 . Avatar
      2 . How to Train Your Dragon
      3 . Clash of the Titans
      4 . Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
      5 . Alice in Wonderland
these are best

The best what?

Also, are we just doing the top 5 of whatever we want now?

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ShadowDuelist wrote:

Also, are we just doing the top 5 of whatever we want now?

I blame insideoutcast.

ZangrethorDigital.ca