Ill do the KO'd one....
1) Team USA Shidokan, April 1996. I was fighting Pat White, ten years my senior, the returning champ, and better at my own strengths than I was. My strategy in the tournament was to initiate as many clinches as possible and gain points from throws. Pat locks me in a thai clinch and starts throwing knees. I block the forst 4, but when I tried to throw a punch he got one straight up the middle as he turned my head. The knee hit my temple...so I'm told.
2) Training for that fight, one of my sparring partners was a former Junior Olympic Tae Kwon Do medalist. I was trying to train how to close the distance on opponents who had a longer reach than I . One session, he kicks the inside ofmy knee, and with the same leg not touching the ground, wheels it up to an axe kick that lands on the back of my head and drops me.
3) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 … 1334721347
4) In Jiu Jitsu, my brother and I are rolling. Hes bigger and stronger, I have better technique. He gets the takedown, I almost get his back and have half of a kata-hajime choke on him. He has a forearm in my neck. Neither of us taps out. We both go out roughly the same time.
5) My instructor, and I swear to god this is his real name, Eddie Bravo is getting a feature profile done on him in Grappling Magazine. He asks me to be his Uke and demonstrate technique. Here's one of the photos. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 … 1334721347
Anyway, he demonstrates a triangle choke from the mount Unlike other chokes, if you get a mounted triangle you're not as in control of the pressure. It's literally your body weight on the dudes caroted artery. As the technique is being applied, the cameramans battery dies. As he's changing batteries, Im turning purple. I sputter out, "Takkkkkkee the fffffucking pppphhhhotoooo." Eddie starts laughing, I start laughing. Now we have the church giggles. While I'm waiting for us to not laugh so he can take the photo, I go out. I wake up to everyone laughing.
I've rarely put someone else out. I pride myself on my control and in my Jiu Jitsu torunaments, most guy are smart enough to tap. I have, and I am in no way proud of this, torn ankle cartiledge and sadly, an acl on two of my teammates. It was during sparring and it was no ones fault really. I've felt awful about it since, and both times, both guys were very cool and forgiving. For my sins, Ive also torn my Meniscus, had my nose broken twice, and dislocated my middle left toe in two places at once.
I've knocked a couple guys down in training before (usually body shots, and once with a superman punch) but never an outright KO. You knock people out in sparring and you get a reputation as a dick.
Top 5 concerts.
Last edited by Eddie (2010-05-26 02:18:12)