Re: Top Five thread.

Top 5 Spaceships

1.) The Millennium Falcon
2.) Serenity
3.) The U.S.S. Enterprise (TMP - III)
4.) The Battlestar Galactica
5.) The Sulaco

Next: Top 5 sets you would like to (have had) visit(ed) during filming.

In the spirit of discussion emfayder: I was never a fan of the Sulaco. It's a Syd Mead thing that looked better as a drawing. It looks like one of the riffles. Boring. Discovery 1 from 2001, now that's a beauty.

Anyway, top 5 sets. Good one.

1)  Caligula.  A young Helen Mirren with real sex all over the place. Boom.
2)  Blade Runner.  They say it wasn't a happy place but just to see the cameras, the street, the miniatures would be cool.
3)  John Carpenter's The Thing.  They were on location on a glacier. From the docos they seemed to be having a good time.
4)  Casablanca.  Hanging out with Bogey, Bergman, the other actors.
5)  Apocalypse Now.  If you watch Hearts of Darkness you'll understand. Francis Ford Coppola running around like a madman, Martin Sheen's heart attack, Marlon Brando seeing how much he can get away with, etc.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Next: Top 5 movie characters you'd like to get advice from.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Huh. Tricky one.

1. Palpatine. Say what you will, but like Hitler, he made massive amounts of people follow him. I'd like to get a few pointers.
2. The Doctor (Doctor Who). This kinda goes without saying, but I could use some advice as to what I should do next.
3. The Master (Doctor Who). Ha made a completely new race. I'd like some advice on that front.
4. Boba Fett. Surviving(EU, anyways) a sarlacc.
5. Mace Windu. How to leave yourself completely open for attack, yet survive.

Next: Top 5 Cars in movies.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1) The 60's Batmobile.  If you disagree you have a vagina.  Not a pink little lipstick lesbian sorority vagina, a vagina that looks like a man's hairy taint cut in half.

http://www.carrentals.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/batmobile.jpg

2) I don't need to explain this.

http://uneasysilence.com/media/2007/01/ghostbuster-car.jpg

3)  Death Proof.  C'mon.  You know you want this car.

http://site.mishimoto.com/quentin-tarantino-presents-death-proof-20070323053724645-000.jpg

4)  The '64 Aston Martin DB5 from Goldfinger.

http://www.speeduptraffic.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/06-aston-martin-db5.jpg

5)  Yeah, feel bad you didn't think of this one.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65414&stc=1&d=1256268196

Top five fights between fictional or real persons that you would pay a fortune to see.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1. Kyle versus Maul2 and Jeffery Harrell. Kyle gets one foot of a broom handle, they both get throwing stars, but no shoes. Kyle cannot have facial hair.

2. Indiana Jones versus Han Solo. Indy has his right arm tied behind his back, there is a flying wing involved, but the props aren't spinning. (Yet.)

3. The cast of Mean Girls versus the cast of Down in Front. None have arms.

4. Tyler Durden versus Hobbes. Hobbes has the power of mind control.

5. Mater versus a juvenile tyrannosaurus. No alterations.

Top five indie performances.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Indie performances of what?

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Acting performances.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

See, now you just killed it. Unless you're talking acting performances in indie movies.

If that's the case, then I'm still at a halt. I have a fairly decent film knowledge, but studios or not is not something I take note of, unfortunately.

*next*

Oh and Kyle: Nice list. I'm happy you chose the 60's batmobile over the tumbler, but I'm surprised the DeLorean isn't in there.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2010-09-02 23:25:51)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Performances in cheap, intimate movies, then.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

...like '9 songs'? big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

vidina wrote:

Oh and Kyle: Nice list. I'm happy you chose the 60's batmobile over the tumbler, but I'm surprised the DeLorean isn't in there.

The DeLorean isn't in there because...

Well, I haven't ever actually seen Back to the Future.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And you deem US unworthy? Dude.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, well, I saw Legally Blonde II in theaters, too.  The things I do and do not do tend to annoy the cultured.

I can't answer Teague's, by the way, because the only independent movies I know are independent movies are Clerks, SAW, and The Room, and if we expand it to "small, intimate movies" I'd just put Mickey Rourke as Randy "The Ram" Robinson in every single spot.

Last edited by Kyle (2010-09-03 00:11:32)

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll do my best.

1. Saw
2. World's greatest dad
3. Primer
4. Clerks
5. To Know A Jedi

Next up: Top 5 near-death experiences! (first or second hand are allowed)

(EDIT: Typos. I even skimmed it prior to posting it, dammit.)

Last edited by Tomahawk (2010-09-03 00:20:17)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

vidina wrote:

I'm surprised the DeLorean isn't in there.

What? No Bullitt Mustang?

http://theselvedgeyard.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/aa_1968_ford_mustang_gt_bullitt.png

No Chevy C10 Stepside from The Driver (the best car-chase movie of all time)?

http://imcdb.org/images/010/051.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My life isn't interesting enough to have collected five near-death experiences. This one time I was flying home from a business trip and the plane had to abort the landing and circle around for another try. That was interesting. And this one time I had really bad gas.

I patiently await the appearance of a top-five mandate that I can actually fulfill.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It helps when they're movie-related.

The first time a went sky diving...

3) I squished a nad strapping on the parachute...
4) As we were about to jump out the pilot said "hold it" - there was another plane flying by about 500ft below us...
5) Later, they mailed me someone else's picture from the wing-mounted camera. I coulda just died!

Now. Pick a director. Your favorite director. Top 5 scenes illustrating why he or she is good.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Director: Akira Kurosawa

1.) The "moving forest" scene near the end of "Throne of Blood". Totally chilling, and one of the most powerful disbelief-suspending scenes in history.

2.) The entire "Bandit's Story" section of "Rashoman". This may be partly for Toshiro Mifune's performance, but the whole scene is also shot tremendously. This was one of the first times that I noticed how important cinematography is to a film.

3.) "Seven Samurai": Kyuzo steals a gun. If there is one thing that Kurosawa does better than anyone else, it's crafting characters. Truthfully, we didn't really need this scene. Most other directors would have left it on the cutting room floor, considering it a waste of time. However, Kurosawa considered the character to be important, even if the plot didn't. Everyone in that film is a real person, with a real life, and real problems. That tiny characterization just proves to exemplify that.

4.) "Ikiru": The "swing scene". If you haven't seen this film, then I refuse to tell you why this moment is so beautiful. Go watch this movie immediately.

5.) "Dreams": "The Tunnel". This sequence is, frankly, one of the most terrifying things ever put to film. Plenty of films have tried to give us a realistic, psychological profile of a soldier, but none have gone as deep. By literally delving into the nightmare of a soldier who has returned from war, we get a great understanding of why those people often become so disturbed. What we see is scary, and Kurosawa knows it.

Sorry for invading the thread with my nerdiness.

NEXT TIME: Top 5 Morgan Freeman characters you'd like to have a drink with.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1. William Somerset
2. Azeem
3. Ellis Boyd Redding
4. God
5. Jack Doyle

Next: Top five settings for a fictional story. Examples of such settings could be 'Middle-Earth', 'the world of Harry Potter' or the 'Buffyverse', to name some personal favorites.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

hmm...interesting...

1: The Verse (Firefly for the uninitiated)
2: The world of Supernatural
3: The world of Harry Potter
4: Battlestar Galactica
5: (Although I haven't actually played the game) Bioshock looks like a pretty kick ass universe.

Allllright...Top 5 musical cues, (For example, my favorite is the cue from the opening of Serenity, right as she kicks into re-entry. So perfect.)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Oh oh oh oh oh oh.

Okay. In no order. (Excluding John Williams, because they'd probably all be John Williams.)

Giacchino's The Incredibles theme.

Giacchino's "Enterprising Young Men" Star Trek theme.

Elfman's "The Ice Dance" from Edward Scissorhands.

Badelt's "He's a Pirate" from Pirates: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

Santaollala's "Apertura" from The Motorcycles Diaries.

Top 5 reasons to get an STD.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1. If you're really lucky, the antibiotics you get will turn your pee orange.

2. Telling random chicks you're "in remission" is a great way to get sympathy attention, as long as you don't specify from what.

3. You automatically win all subsequent drunken "Oh yeah, well how about this scar!" competitions, as long as you're not up against the late Robert Shaw.

4. All that delightful attention from that cute nurse at the free clinic.

5. Cause it means you got to have sex!

Next up: Top five downer endings in film, television or literature (where "literature" includes comic books or pretty much whatever).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1. Romeo and Juliet
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. The Mist
4. Goblet of Fire
5. Little Red Riding Hood (first printed version by Charles Perrault)

Honorable mention to the episode of Fresh Prince in Bel Air where Will's dad is an asshole.

Next: Top five celebrity sex tapes

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DoctorSubmarine wrote:

4.) "Ikiru": The "swing scene". If you haven't seen this film, then I refuse to tell you why this moment is so beautiful. Go watch this movie immediately.

I've heard good things about Ikiru, i keep meaning to check it out. I love the scene near the start of Seven Samurai when the guy dies in slow motion. Really ahead of its time. It tingles my spine.

Music cues:
And Alexander Courage's Star Trek theme. And Peter Gunn. And...

STDs and sex tapes? What the f's going on here? smile

1) Keeley Hazell. Nice DD's. And she's eager nomesayin? It's like i've got celebutard career to start, gotta do this right.

2) Paris Hilton. Ho needs to learn how to give frickin head but it's watchable. At the "not there!" part... let's just say i was less than convinced. Tape gets a +1 for the green SFX.

3) Kim Kardashian. Stupid. I can't believe she's still around and popular.

All i got.

Thumbs up Thumbs down