Re: Top Five thread.

Damn, Beldar beat me to it.

Always nice to see a Page 3 Girl out and about, though apparently they're F's. Jesus.
Don't care enough about PH to be at all interested in that one.
Why the fuck do we care about Kardashians?  Sure they allied with The Dominion to threaten the Alpha quadrant but... What? Oh, wait.
Only other one that comes to mind is the Pamela Anderson one.

As I can only comment on 25% of these entries I submit this, and move to change topic.

Top 5 computer mistakes. Computers don't work like that!

(e.g., there are two in Jurassic Park, the live video chat that's actually a quicktime file, and "It's a UNIX system...", no, it's not.)

1. All the movies projecting the image on the actors' face. (Hackers, for instance)
2. The matrix. Neo types ctrl-x to close the program. When did 'cut' kill an application?
3. Tron, for sucking people into it. Let's face it, it made a mistake sucking Flynn in there.
4. Jurassic Park, for the quicktime file. It's not an impossible fix, even for '93.
5. All the films featuring not-even-close-to-fiction Operating Systems, with flashy animations, colors, sounds and whatnots.

Honorary mention goes to Matrix reloaded, for using NMap, an actual thing. See?

Next up: Apple products of all time. That's right, I went there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1. The Apple II. I don't think it was technically the first practical personal computer — that was probably the TRS-80 or something; I'm sketchy on my ancient history — but it was certainly the most influential of its era.

2. The iPod. Not so much for the product itself, but for the whole ecosystem (sorry) of things around it. The iPod begat iTunes, which begat the iTunes Store, which is the number-one retailer of music in the US (maybe worldwide, I forget) and became the reference standard business model for online digital content distribution.

3. The LaserWriter. First mass-market laser printer in the world. Totally changed the face of small-scale print publishing.

4. Mac OS X. Although it started out as a NeXT thing, it's obviously very much an Apple product now. To create their modern OS, they went all the way back to 1969. Ballsy move. Tremendous success.

5. The PowerBook. Party in the front, keyboard in the back. All notebook computers today still use that exact same form factor.

Next: Since it seems like a lot of people have travel plans this fall, top five (or bottom five if you'd rather) aspects of air travel in the 21st century.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Best things.

1. Picking your music. For night flights over cities, I like Carbon by VNV Nation.

2. Picking your death music. If the plane explodes and I'm falling with my iPod, "We're In This Together Now" by NIN. Loud.

3. Little bottles of rum.

4. Flirting. I'm bringing air travel flirtation back.

5. It's fucking magic.

Top 5 performances you love by actors you hate.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doesn't "The Expendables" cover all 5?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1) Robin Williams in "Good Will Hunting"

2) Martin Lawrence in "Bad Boys"

3) Kirstin Dunst in "The Virgin Suicides"

4) Tobey Maguire in "The Ice Storm"

5) Klaus Kinski in "Nosferatu"

Top 5 CD's you bought just for one single.

Last edited by Eddie (2010-09-24 16:40:12)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1. Eiffel 65 Album(can't remember the name, but the single was 'blue(da ba dee)'
2. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory. I later came to love LP, but I bought it for 'in the end'.
3. Bomfunk MC's - In stereo. I loved 'freestyler'. The rest kinda sucked.
4. Chumbawamba - Tubthumper. I GET KNOCKED DOWN AND I GET UP AGAIN!
5. 30 Seconds to Mars - A beautiful lie. Fell in love with 'the kill', and now I love the entire album.

Top 5 films you've bought just for the cover. (this could be insanely hot chicks, epic paintings, retro-styled covers etc. You get the idea.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1) Blood: The Last Vampire. Pretty good anime but i felt ripped off. The back cover says 'feature 90min'. I get home it's actually a 46min movie and a 45min making of. Grr.
2) The Matrix. My first dvd. I got this one in spite of the snappy case thing, which i don't like. I think they're extinct now.
3) THX-1138. Very simple design. Nice.
4) The X-Files (all of it plus the first movie). A thing of beauty. 61 DVDs.
5) To Live and Die in LA. Nice, modern cover. I got the impression they put some effort into the release.

Next,

Back in the day, before i saw Alien, my school had a book sale and on one of the tables was Alien: The Illustrated Story by Archie Goodwin and Walter Simonson. It only cost $1 and i'd never seen a comic like it. It was obviously for adults, had the f word, was big (magazine sized), had cardboard covers and glossy colour pages.

The chest burster comes out of Kane in a normal panel at the bottom right and i thought that's it, then i turn the page and it's 2 full pages of exploding blood out to the edges... whoa. And it had those scenes that were cut from the theatrical release. I used to think it was better than the actual movie. How this thing ended up in a small French-Canadian high school with 'UK £2.50 Australia $7.95 New Zealand $7.85' printed on the back, i'll never know.

Another great one was Six From Sirius - but that's another story.

Top 5 comics (not a whole series) you remember fondly. C'mon Trey!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm actually not gonna answer this. I'm gonna let someone way older jump in and make it that much more epic than I could.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If we're talking single issue1) Sandman #8:  This is where we meet Morpheus sister Death for the first time, and as a stand alone, it remains one of Gaiman's best.  2)  Preacher #9: This is the start of my favorite Preacher arc, called "Till the End of the World," where Jesse recounts his relationship to his grandma, and the tragic story of his parents.  Garth Ennis at his most restrained and delicate, I think.3) Pride of Baghdad: Based on the true story, and told from the perspective of, a Pride of Lion's set free from the Baghdad Zoo after the first bombing we did in 2003, this is why Brian K Vaughn is such a relevant story teller.4) Green Lantern: Rebirth #4:  This should be the textbook example of how to not only navigate, but exploit and weaponize a convoluted backstory and make something far more interesting out of it.  This was Geoff Johns coming out party in many ways.5) Watchmen # 12:  Down to the panel this is Alan Moore at his best.  
Top 5 movie props you would do horrible, horrible things to own.

Last edited by Eddie (2010-09-28 16:57:19)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not quite sure what happened there.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1.) Audrey II from 'Little Shop of Horrors'. The first iteration that barely moved, so that it will fit inside my house. At parties, I'd get a friend to secretly puppeteer it just to freak people out.

2.) A T-800 from 'Terminator'. It would sit in my yard to scare away ne'er-do-wells.

3.) One of the journals from 'Se7en'. Half of it would be really freaky crazy-talk. The other half, I'm sure, would be little jokes scribbled in by crew members. Either way, a lot of fun to read.

4.) The mule from 'Serenity'. I love the ship itself, but the mule was friggin' badass. I'd spend hours reenacting the opening heist/escape.

5.) A sword from 'Seven Samurai'. Any one of them, really. They're all awesome in their own awesome ways.

Next: Top 5 movie props that would make you shit your pants in fear if you ever saw them in real life.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1. - 5.: Kirstie Alley.

But seriously, someone else take this one.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If the movie in question is The Wrath of Khan, then you, sir, are a liar.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.celossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/0929_kirstie_alley_fame_exc.jpg

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200508/mov-002-lt-savvik02/320x240.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can keep doing this.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Big talk, little man.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

5. Jar Jar Binks Statue
4. Davros
3. Dalek(any Dalek, really)
2. Stephen King's IT.
1. TARDIS.

I'm also assuming 'shitting your pants' doesn't necessarily mean from fright.

Next up:

Top 5 excuses to not attend school today. True or fictional.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Top 5 excuses to not attend school today.

1. Already attended a different school today.

2. Got the day off for helping the police catch some counterfeiters.

3. Going to Space Camp at NASA, only they said that we are really going to the moon.

4. Uncle died, and I have to go to the funeral and pick up his Ferrari, which he left to me.

5. Donating part of my liver today so they can clone it and give it to Steve Jobs, because the doctors said I have the best one they've ever seen and his old one is rotting because he swallowed a spider and it was pregnant and laid eggs in his stomach and the baby spiders ate his liver.

Top 5 top science crap Hollywood keeps getting blatantly wrong.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

1. Evolution. Usually what they call "evolution" is actually "metamorphosis." One species giving birth to a completely separate species isn't the next step in evolution, it's fucking crazy. If it ever did happen, far from being an example of the theory in practice, we'd just about have to throw evolution completely out the window.

2. Genetics. You can't just splice any goddamn things you feel like together. It doesn't even work that way here on Earth, if we're going to start talking about extraterrestrial life which would have NO commonalities in the genetic code, forget it. Don't get me started on sexually-reproduced alien-human hybrids, and double don't get me started on such hybrids which are themselves sexually fertile. Also, your DNA doesn't hold your fucking memories. If we cloned you it would be a different person entirely, and would have to start as a baby, not identical to your present state.

3. Computers can't do that. Whatever it is you're having them do, it probably doesn't work that way. A picture only has so much resolution, and even if you could hack that satellite, that won't make the satellite shoot laser beams or whatever you've decided to make it do.

4. Science is not a monolithic study or practice. You should not be asking a geologist character a question that is more appropriate for an astrophysicist. More to the point, he should not be giving you an answer.

5. The notion that everything actually has to be explained with something science-y. Show us a weird doodad and make it behave credibly and consistently within your story and we'll probably accept it. All you do by trying to explain it with real science is highlight how completely it would not work that way.

Oh, and also, there's no sound in space.

------------

Top five subjects -- academic, pop cultural, whatever -- you'd like to be a geek about, but don't know enough to claim the title.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Top 5 science crap hollywood gets blatantly wrong

5. bullets can destroy locks and puncture tanks.  See Mythbusters.

4. instant communication in space

3. ships in space can turn corners like a plane.  no friction + no gravity = slow, deliberate turning, as in side thrusters. 

2.  explosions in space will not be bright fireballs.  No oxygen= no flames.

1. Sound in space.  in order to make sounds, you need air.  No air, no sound.

top 5 memorable lines from 80's action movies.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://img.youtube.com/vi/NKLYEAC4F2U/0.jpg

You LOSE!

Good DAY sir!

(Sidenote: Try a Google image search of that phrase with Safe Search off. The results may surprise you. I know they surprised me.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Top five subjects -- academic, pop cultural, whatever -- you'd like to be a geek about, but don't know enough to claim the title.

1. Stem cells.
2. Cloning
3. Aviation/avionics
4. Wormhole theoretics
5. 3DTV Technology

Yeah, it's pretty diverse.

top 5 memorable lines from 80's action movies.

1. I know(you know where it's from)
2. Yippie ka-yay, melon farmer
3. That wasn't so bad, was it?
4. I'm about to kick ass and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of gum.
5. I'm sure that in 1985 plutonium is available in every corner drugstore, but in 1955 it's a little hard to come by.

Top 5 reasons to START drinking.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

God Damn it, Dorkman...

Thumbs up Thumbs down