Topic: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug teaser trailer

Just thought this might deserve its own thread. Discuss!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug teaser trailer

Oh man, I'm excited and eager to watch it, but what the hell is up with all the obvious CGI effects? It seems like half the time it's a cartoon with characters performing inhuman physical feats; those goofy but short CGI Legolas moments in LOTR writ large.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There are definitely some cartoonish effects. I guess you could say it's staying consistent with LOTR in that respect.

Personally, I'm really digging Smaug's look.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like what we saw of Smaug. Seeing that massive head come around the corner gave me the bottom-dropped-out-of-my-stomach sense of terror he deserves.

As for the rest, ugh. As Red said, Jackson is actually making the unengaging cartoons the old guard has been accusing genre filmmakers of making for the last few decades. After HOBBIT 1 I wasn't expecting otherwise, though it is gratifying to see I'm not the only one who feels that way among genre fans.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya I just don't give a fuck about this kind of fantasy movie anymore, it all looks pretty, and expensive, and fake, and I'm just bored

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I still can't put my finger on why the visuals look so much worse than LOTR. Is it because they're more cartoony?

Anyway, these movies feel like homework. I'm not excited for it, but I know I'm going to be there opening weekend.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2013-06-11 21:24:09)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

They're cartoony, there's zero practical effects, or any attempt to make them look like anything that could or would actually exsist, and just a general disregard for reality in general.

It reminds me of Oz the great and powerful or Burtons Alice In Wonderland, except instead of it trying to be a magic wonderland, it's supposed to be Middle Earth. Which is the same thing I've been saying since I saw  the first trailer for the Hobbit. It's not Middle Earth, and they're not even trying to pretend like it is... it's some other cartoon universe where gravity doesn't exsist and everyone walks around going mork mork mork.

It's kinda like they saw that shot of Legolas looping around the horse to get back on top from LOTR (The not very great one), and thought that they should do an entire movie (trilogy) in that style.

Even Smaug didn't do anything for me, he looks like a cardboard cut out of a dragon slapped on top of a frame from Fantasia.

And yes, I've officially given up on this series.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-06-11 21:46:36)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I still can't put my finger on why the visuals look so much worse than LOTR. Is it because they're more cartoony?

I think a lot of it is that they're trying to make the colors in every shot look absolutely perfect and amazing. I bet you could take any frame from that trailer and it would look beautiful. As a result it just doesn't look real. And of course they've gone overboard with the CG as well.

0:48 looked to be the scene where the colors popped the least, and it was a nice two-second break for me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Anyway, these movies feel like homework. I'm not excited for it, but I know I'm going to be there opening weekend.

Haha, that is an adequate comparison. I`m sure i will watch it, but I don`t know whether it will be in the theater. As I personally boycot 3d it probably won`t. I liked bits and pieces of the first Hobbit movie, but the action sequences, especially the long action sequence escaping the caves, bored me much like the light saber fights in episode1-3, and it already being so long and sidetracked so often, I don´t know whether I would even call part one a pleasant experience. So what am i expecting?

I do get that in every Tolkien adaptation there will be a female part expanded or inserted, as he is mostly writing about dudes (with a few exeptions here and there), but seriosly, who is that elven chick?

Btw I still dont get why they go for the hobbit and not for the story of Hurin´s Sons or the story of Luthien and Beren, if they want to go all lenghty and epic on it. Those are material for the format they want. And there even would be strong female parts in there, Silmarillion Spoiler

Show
Luthien faces of Morgoth almost all by herself ffs.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:

I think a lot of it is that they're trying to make the colors in every shot look absolutely perfect and amazing.

IDk, I think it kinda feels like are trying to make every thing absolutely perfect and pristine on like...a pixel level, but no one ever steps back, looks at the whole image and goes...guys this looks like shit...you know that right?

So every frame just ends up being this collage of colour and motion that makes absolutely no sense when you're calling it a movie.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I wonder just how many miniatures they used this time around. The use of prosthetics seems to have taken a big drop this time around, have all the practical effects done so too?

I also suspect that the use of digital cameras isn't helping. Yeah, sorry, I went there.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

I wonder just how many miniatures they used this time around.

Zero.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/07 … he-hobbit/

ZangrethorDigital.ca

You're right though, LOTR has a gritty look that helps ground it, and the way it was shot was a definite part of it. The digital look of these Hobbit films really does them no favors

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:
redxavier wrote:

I wonder just how many miniatures they used this time around.

Zero.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012/07 … he-hobbit/

Reminds me of this anecdote about King Kong:

Skull Island, Kong’s jungly home, was created almost entirely in miniatures; there are twice as many miniatures shots in Kong as in all three Rings films combined. At one point during postproduction, [Star Wars director] George Lucas dropped by the set for a hush-hush visit. Alex Funke, supervising director of visual-effects photography, proudly showed off his miniatures department’s handiwork, which was meticulously crafted down to the tiniest piece of plastic jungle foliage. ”George said, ‘Of course, we could do all that digitally,”’ Funke says. ”We said, ‘Yes, of course you could. So?”’

So sad to see them do away with all of that

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-06-11 22:40:10)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow, that's really sad to hear PJ do such an apparent 360 (:P) on the use of miniatures. And ironically, the ability to swoop in and do any camera movement with the CGI sets is that the film becomes much less real. Maybe that's the intention, to make this trilogy a 'ride'?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Agree with all the above. 3D means no miniatures and fewer practicals. And too much Smaug is revealed. Was hoping not to see any of Smaug until the movie.
Will still see it for all the eye-candy, though, but expectations have been lowered. LOTR was the Star Wars of our time, whereas the The Hobbit x 3 is just generic tentpole fodder.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Syl wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

Haha, that is an adequate comparison. I`m sure i will watch it, but I don`t know whether it will be in the theater. As I personally boycot 3d it probably won`t. I liked bits and pieces of the first Hobbit movie, but the action sequences, especially the long action sequence escaping the caves, bored me much like the light saber fights in episode1-3, and it already being so long and sidetracked so often, I don´t know whether I would even call part one a pleasant experience. So what am i expecting?

I do get that in every Tolkien adaptation there will be a female part expanded or inserted, as he is mostly writing about dudes (with a few exeptions here and there), but seriosly, who is that elven chick?

Btw I still dont get why they go for the hobbit and not for the story of Hurin´s Sons or the story of Luthien and Beren, if they want to go all lenghty and epic on it. Those are material for the format they want. And there even would be strong female parts in there, Silmarillion Spoiler

Show
Luthien faces of Morgoth almost all by herself ffs.

That is Tauriel, captain of the Woodland Realm's Guard. She is a controversial character, to say the least. Caution, some spoilers ahead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tauriel

Also, I am a little surprised at the lack of use of miniatures given the success in LOTR. Personally, I at least am glad to see Mirkwood, and Smaug and am still interested in the film.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was quite disappointed with the first movie, not sure if I'll bother with this one.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow, Is Peter Jackson becoming the new George Lucas?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Landporpus wrote:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VdhnEESsAxc/UDbTs5xWXmI/AAAAAAAABH8/k0OQ-AiSBjk/s1600/George+lucas.jpg

And George RR Martin is the new Peter Jackson?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/27218912.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I had forgotten about how in the production vlogs they talked about bringing more color into the Mirkwood set because "the Red cameras tend to eat color." They may have gone a little too far...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b44/timdps/Mirkwood.jpg

Here they talk about the colors in Mirkwood starting around 6:15.

PJ: "In the movie they won't look anything like that. They'll be graded down and you'll just get the barest hint of color in the finished film."

Eh... Ish.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7383/9021654445_8bebddb433_o.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

UUugh, all of that, plus how cooooompletely digitally fake Legolas looks in that last photo makes me want to vomit.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

What I missed from the Hobbit was the colour grading they did back in LOTR. There was a desaturated, subtle blue-y green tint  to the world and they weren't afraid to get grainy. That made the whole thing feel so much more like an old story. Couple that with models and prosthetics and PJ's never ending mantra of "it has to feel like it's real" and you end up with a world you feel you could walk right into.

Hobbit went the complete opposite direction. The colours are vibrant and tend to ooze from every nook and cranny. The camera dives and swoops, actors are replaced with digital stunt doubles. While that might be impressive on a technical level, I feel a big disconnect between this story and LOTR. You could argue that we're watching the story from Bilbo's perspective and therefore the world is more of a marvel and wonder than if it were read from an old tome.

Y'know I keep hearing that argument: "well the story is told from Bilbo's perspective, so XYZ." I'll agree that the book certainly is that way. But the movie isn't Bilbo-centric. We have the same omniscient perspective that we had in LOTR. I'm getting really sick of hearing that reasoning because people are using it as a way to explain away everything that could be criticized about the films.

I'm still optimistic, though. I love LOTR and it will always hold a special place in my heart. I enjoyed the Hobbit a lot, just not on the same level as LOTR. I have a feeling I'll probably enjoy this movie a lot, too. It has the same spirit as LOTR underneath it all, but the surface is different enough that it doesn't feel the same. Ultimately though, the spirit of the books is what means the most to me, so I'm still looking forward to watching this.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

auralstimulation wrote:

Y'know I keep hearing that argument: "well the story is told from Bilbo's perspective, so XYZ." I'll agree that the book certainly is that way. But the movie isn't Bilbo-centric. We have the same omniscient perspective that we had in LOTR. I'm getting really sick of hearing that reasoning because people are using it as a way to explain away everything that could be criticized about the films.

As I've said since the beginning, this is still middle earth, and just because the story you happen to be telling was a "childrens book" or Bilbo centric, that doesn't mean you get to completely change the dynamics of everything that makes middle earth, middle earth. It still has to feel like the same universe, even if it is summer now instead of winter (As far as general tone goes, Sauron=winter....whatever you get it). But they aren't even trying to do that here, they're just cranking the cartoon lever until it breaks.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Well, I'm excited.

Yes, it's cartoonish. Yes, it has pretty much nothing to do it LotR.

But I still loved the first film, and I'll most probably love this one too. I loved it on a completely different level than I loved LotR, and I did get a bit annoyed by the CG goblins, but it still managed to make me dream and amaze me with wonderful, if not realistic, landscapes and places. So I think it succeeded on that basis.

I enjoyed following all these characters, and I want to spend time with them again.

So, yeah. I can't wait.

Don't get me wrong; I love miniatures and practical effects. Most of the time I regret switching over to CG. But here Jackson goes all the way in this direction, and that gives the movies a very particular look; it's a different thing entirely which of course can't be loved by all.

Landporpus wrote:

He will when he starts changing the original LotR trilogy to add CG sequences and digitally replace Ian Holm by Martin Freeman.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down