Re: Reading: The Internet Knows Where I Live

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/345/169/bc7.png

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Didn't see this the first time around and listened today. I think I vaguely knew you had a post on the SLJ reads a thing thread but I had no idea there was a huge back story. Fascinating.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This incident has basically become my go-to way to describe how bad 4chan is to people like my grandparents who aren't familiar with Internet stuff. The horrified reactions that invariably occur sometimes make me wish I could remember my own days of relative innocence as regards the dark corners of the web.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just relistened to this again, and damn I forgot how well written this is.  Good job Teague, and although I was halfway across the continent when it was happening, I still remember the chat during those couple days. And yes... I think I could probably still navigate 4chan if I had to... *shudders*

Anyways...

I was wondering how you feel about this being shared? Me and a friend got into a conversation a while back about GamerGate and related things, and I was trying to explain doxxing and the general 4chan culture and I don't think I quite did it the same justice as you do. Was just wondering if you were cool with me sending this to her? (or do you have a text copy posted somewhere, I can't remember now)

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-01-23 05:22:20)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Sending it to her is fine. I'm still a little spooked by the idea of super-public shares, but at this point things have died down enough that I'm not panicky about it anymore.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down