Topic: Some sort of Star Trek - The Original Series [spoilers]

So I'm finally getting around to watching the original series of Star Trek and thought I'd do sort of a mini-review of the episodes as I watch them. Would love to hear others' thoughts too.

01 - The Man Trap AKA The Salt Monster
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/6/60/Kirk_McCoy_%26_Nancy.jpg

The crew beam down to a planet where they meet a scientist and his wife, an old flame of Dr McCoy. The 'redshirt' gets drawn away by the wife, who appears as a different woman to the men around her, and gets suckered to death because of his salt content. I'm not sure how much salt we have in our bodies, but I can't imagine there being that much. As more crewmen get killed they realise it's the woman and the end is very dramatic, perhaps overly so, with McCoy having to 'kill the woman he loves' before it kills Kirk. The episode does an admirable job at setting up their relationship, so I'd say it's very much earned that he does pull the trigger.

The creature's rather interesting, having assumed the memories of her victims, seemingly sentient and having feelings, but running mostly on instincts and hunger. The last of its kind they say, so there's a sort of tragedy to her fate, which they're all too eager to point out for us as the episode closes.

Two points really, Kirk is very smiley. He really turns on the charm a lot, and it's fascinating for me to see this young Shatner. Sure, he smiles a lot in his recent stuff like Boston Legal but it's quite another thing to see the smile really work for him. And what is up with redshirt not actually wearing a redshirt (something that I'm noticing a lot)?

02 - Charlie X
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/1/12/Kirk_and_Evans.jpg

The crew take custody of a young man who's spent the better part of his life alone on a planet, the sole survivor of a crash many years before. Except the young man has powers of a godlike being, and he uses them to get what he wants. Kirk fills the role of surrogate father, and manages to control the boy's impetuous whims and infatuation for Yeoman Rand, at least initially. Eventually the boy runs rampant on the Enterprise until the deus ex machina arrives and wisks him away. What I found interesting in this episode, which I actually liked a lot, was Kirk. I'd always thought of him as a punch first ask questions later kind of character, a cowboy. But 2 episodes in and I'm totally re-evaluating that perception. He's measured and seems to be forceful only when it's time. Charlie's pleas at the end are rather hearfelt, and almost make you feel sorry for him. It's quite an unsettling ending too, as you don't really know his fate.

Also, Kirk loves his ship and is fiercely protective of his crew. Gives his action in Search for Spock when he sets the self-destructs an added poignancy (or makes that look really out of character, depending on how lenient you want to be).

03 - Where No Man Has Gone Before
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/3/35/Kirk_fires_a_phaser_rifle_at_Mitchell.jpg

The Enterprise flies near the edge of the galaxy and two of its crew get turned into superbeings. Loved this episode! It's sort of like Charlie X, but with the added drama of having a friend of Kirk turn bad with the absolute power. Kirk punches and judo throws his way too victory, which is the only downside in my view. I'm not really sure how they manage to kill Mitchell in the end - a big rock falls on him. Apparently this is a second pilot, so the costumes are slightly different and Spock's suggestion that they kill the transformed Mitchell outright is pretty harsh. Another sad ending too, as Kirk's physically victorious but knackered perhaps and mentally defeated. He's lost a good friend.

Finally, that hearbeat monitor thing in sickbay is awesome.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Re: Some sort of Star Trek - The Original Series [spoilers]

I started watching the series from scratch recently only having ever caught random episodes on DVD or TV and forgot to continue. Now I will!

Where No Man Has Gone Before is clearly the standout here Charlie X has some interesting ideas with the ending that is done better later on in the show

The Man Trap had some nice scenes of just life on the enterprise with Uhura asking someone to come and fix her door which adds a layer of depth lost in later seasons

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Something to keep in mind while watching the early episodes was Kirk was intended to be a Hornblower type captain. That evolved, naturally, but the caricature of Kirk came later.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It wasn't entirely Hornblower, but said more jokingly. Shatner came from a Shakesperian background too, which is why he can be a bit larger than life.
If you really want to see Star Trek's origins, read Robert Heinlein's "Space Cadet" novel.

"Where No Man Has Gone Before" is definitely an odd duck, especially with the downer ending. Also, its right before the uniform changes from the pilots to the main series, so it sticks out too.

"The Man Trap" also led to the rise of the medical scanner, as the salt shaker props were mistaken as futuristic devices due to their design.

"Charlie X" is an interesting episode. Always found it odd that they were about to celebrate Thanksgiving and the cook was confused by all the turkeys wink

Also, Charlie featured the gym for the first and only time, with nifty orange workout clothes. Got to love the 60s.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Looking on the Memory Alpha wiki for the pictures has made me aware that the order I'm watching these in may not be the intended order? Anyhoo.

04 - The Naked Time
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/2/26/Sulu-confronts-BridgeCrew.jpg

Some damn fool touches something that he shouldn't and the whole Enterprise gets infected with magic goop which makes lose their inhibitions or something. He's the first casualty though, so it works out in the end. Eventually alll is corrected. I love how unashamedly dramatic this series is, and this episode takes it further. I'd be remiss if I didn't take this moment to point out how beautiful Nichelle Nichols is in this series. Seeing all these actors, who'd I grown up with only seeing in the movies, all being so young has been a highlight of watching, even though it's been a bit surreal and uncanny - like seeing your parents as 20 somethings. I enjoyed the episode, but I've seen better.

Sulu gets a chance to strut his stuff, and I believe this is the point where he's becoming noticeable as a crewmember. And I guess this is where the nod in Abrams Star Trek comes from.  And Kirk shows his manlove for his ship again. And laments having a beautiful yeoman. I've found Rand to be the least attractive woman on the show so far, which is less of a criticism of her and more of a statement about all the other women they've had on. And we're not even at Mudd's Women yet.

The episode reminds me of the TNG episode, the one where Data and Tasha get it together, which if my hazy memory recalls was also about the crew becoming unhibited and overly emotional. A check reveals it was called The Naked Now... there's a hint there.

05 - The Enemy Within
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110413183818/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/c/c2/James_Kirk%27s_evil_counterpart.jpg/598px-James_Kirk%27s_evil_counterpart.jpg

Kirk beams up from a planet and gets split in two in what is probably the first of many episodes to come in the ST universe about a transporter accident. And there's a dog with a horn attached to his head that also gets split into two, who later gets killed because it apparently can't 'handle getting re-joined'. I was a bit surprised Spock went with that first thought and didn't spend more time at the logic drawing board.

Fascinating episode in the sense that at its heart is a question of identity and the 'duality of man'. Evil Kirk is gloriously OTT, but he's not evil per se, just the part of Kirk that takes what he wants and has the confidence and strength of will to get it, regardless of the feelings of others. What remains of Kirk is an indecisive man unable to command. The only problem I've found in the series so far is that the show is a bit too eager to point out, often repeatedly, the message of the story. So in this one I think we have McCoy saying that we need the darker side of ourselves to complete us and later Kirks say something similar.

06 - Mudd's Women
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110416154914/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/2/2e/Mudd%27s_women.jpg/640px-Mudd%27s_women.jpg

The Enterprise picks up a con man who's pimping for three women who keep their beautiful looks by imbibing these crystal drugs, meanwhile the ship is running low on gas and Kirk tries to negotiate with some miners. One of the women gets cold feet and spills the beans on Mudd's nefarious ways. And then there's some weird placebo thing at the end where real beauty turns out to be from within?  The miners look like they've walked on from a Western, and their lead guy is a bit of an ass until he redeems himself by seeing that the blond woman is ok. And then there's Mudd, who's this sort of Irish character who looks like he walked on from a pirate movie. Were they borrowing costumes from other TV shows?

Not sure what else to say about this one. It was ok. The women are beautiful sure, but the way all the men on the ship are struck dumb is a bit weird to me - especially since they're arguably more beautiful crewmembers!

I think this is the first episode where I noticed the beautiful women are shot with a really soft focus and given a pretty obvious eyelight.

Lastly, what's with this Vulcanian stuff?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Looking on the Memory Alpha wiki for the pictures has made me aware that the order I'm watching these in may not be the intended order? Anyhoo.

You appear to be watching them in the original broadcast order which is how they appear on the DVDs although some people list them in the production order.

redxavier wrote:

Lastly, what's with this Vulcanian stuff?

An early idea was that Spock was half human and half 'Vulcanian' and that a full blooded Vulcanians would look far less humanoid and Harry Mudd was really quite clever for noticing it.

Your comment that TNG redid the Naked Time episode is correct. They did it for the same reason original Trek did it: it was a good way to get into the heard of the main cast early on. They didn't do as good a job, which given the quality of season 1 TNG shouldn't be surprising. It didn't help that they never knew what to do with Tasha. The writers guide I bought during season 1, which doesn't even have Worf in it yet and has Data built by aliens, says Tasha was to form a close friendship with Weasley. That would have been interesting.

The Mudd episode was the first "comedy" episode. You get one or two a year.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Mudd's Women" was played straight.   "I, Mudd" in Season Two was the comedy episode.

Invid wrote:

Your comment that TNG redid the Naked Time episode is correct. They did it for the same reason original Trek did it: it was a good way to get into the heard of the main cast early on. They didn't do as good a job, which given the quality of season 1 TNG shouldn't be surprising. It didn't help that they never knew what to do with Tasha. The writers guide I bought during season 1, which doesn't even have Worf in it yet and has Data built by aliens, says Tasha was to form a close friendship with Weasley. That would have been interesting.

The Mudd episode was the first "comedy" episode. You get one or two a year.

Yeah, Tasha was definitely a wasted character. Would have been nice to see a growing relationship between Wesley and Tasha and maybe make Wesley a more interesting character.

Also, Vulcanian came up a couple of times, I think in "Doomsday Machine" as well.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

More Trek. I've actually finished the first series now so going back in time a bit with these.

07 - What Are Little Girls Made Of?
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120917043749/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/6/62/Kirk%27s_stalactite.jpg/574px-Kirk%27s_stalactite.jpg

Kirk and Nurse Chapel beam down to a planet (which seems to be how most of these stories start) where they find a doctor working in an underground network of tunnels. There's a big android (played by the Addams' family guy?) who tosses men to their death and Kirk ends up being duplicated. The doctor plans to create a race of android duplicates and is revealed to be one himself. Cue lots of questions about the nature of man vs machine, and also love between human and thing. I liked Kirk in this one, I find myself drawn to smart characters and he's pretty smart in this one, employing the 'Zarkov tactic' when being mind copied, as he repeats an uncharacteristic anti-Spock outburst that gets imbedded into the duplicate's mind. The duplicate of course later says this to Spock, and thus is revealed to be an imposter. Kirk also uses that wonderful smile of his to confuse the female android, who ends up killing the duplicate version when it doesn't reciprocate the romantic advances she had learned from the real one. That it ends with a realisation that the experiment has failed, and the android doctor ending both himself and the girl, I especially like. Any time Trek ends without all weapons being fired or the Federation punching someone, I like it.

What I remember most about this one is the giant android, who is pretty intimidating and chases after Kirk, but then rescues him from falling. I thought that was an interesting twist, as Kirk, clever as always, had insisted that it be programmed to obey Chapel's orders as well. 

08 -  Miri AKA the One with the Kids
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/9/93/Onlies.jpg

The crew visit a strangely earth-like planet (re-using another set?) and contract a disease there which kills grown-ups. The remaining inhabitants are kids who aren't particularly helpful until Kirk teaches them a valuable life lesson. There's an interesting dynamic where the crew are working without the aid of the advanced technology but I can't recall much about this one other than Kirk playing a father figure again.

09 - Dagger of the Mind
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110422014241/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/e/ed/Vulcan_mind_meld.jpg/640px-Vulcan_mind_meld.jpg

Kirk beams down to a planet where they're up to something fishy and gets mind probed? I really don't remember this one much. In fact, I suspect that I either fell asleep or lost interest and went to do something else. May have to rewatch this one.

10 - The Corbomite Maneuver
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110329163637/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/d/d1/Enterprise_towards_Fesarius.jpg/640px-Enterprise_towards_Fesarius.jpg

The Enterprise encounters a mysterious and powerful alien, Balok, who threatens them with destruction for trespassing and what follows is a great story with bluffs and twists. It all turns out to be a test and Balok turns out to be a small and friendly being (though badly dubbed!). Some great interplay between Kirk and McCoy in this one, and a new bridge officer that features prominently and then completes his arc by joining Balok (reminds me of Decker in The Motion Picture). The real Balok claims the Enterprise crew wouldn't have been scared of him, but I don't know, I found the crazy dubbed child (played by a young Clint Howard) to be just as unnerving as the fake alien version!

One of my favourites so far (top 5 of the series for sure).

11 - The Menagerie
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110706235446/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/7/7b/Christopher_Pike%2C_The_Menagerie.jpg/603px-Christopher_Pike%2C_The_Menagerie.jpg

Scarred and immobilised, Pike is 'kidnapped' by Spock, who takes over the Enterprise and warps to a planet where the inhabitants will allow him to live free of his disability. Urgh... a double episode clip show using footage from the first pilot, The Cage. I'd seen that already years ago and wasn't terribly impressed, so this left me cold, especially since the wraparound story incorporates the footage awkwardly - the crew just sit down and watch the episode! It's not clear how Pike would live hereafter either, since the transformation is a little more than that shown in the pilot. Pike can't see speak or move after all, which I didn't particularly like the idea of happening off screen. Also there's little to no urgency in the whole affair, despite Spock undergoing court martial and the conceit of their destination being forbidden on pain of death (the Federation executes people?). Spock's whole motivation seems emotionally-driven and illogical, which I'd consider out of character. Pike's feelings remain a mystery, which isn't too bad I guess since you can project what you want onto him.

Thinking about it though, I'd consider this to be the good basis for a movie, in the sense that you can have a injured or dying crewmember on a ship commandeered by his or her friends travelling to a place they shouldn't be going in order to find some way for that person to live again. Add in a pursuit and find a better way to frame the historical background (i.e., the prequel), and I think you have quite a compelling story.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Regarding the Menagerie:
One of the reasons that Pike is played the way that he is is because it is actually a different actor in the chair than in the clips. Jeffery Hunter originally played Pike when the first pilot was done and the studio said it was "too cerebral." In other words, they felt the audience couldn't connect with the characters. So, we got "Where No man has gone before," though I believe Corbomite Maneuver either first aired or aired right after.

Yes, to go to Talos IV incurs the death penalty in the Federation, though, when you rewatch "Dagger of the Mind" keep in mind that it occurs in an insane asylum.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Keep in mind, it's Roddenberry who said the pilot was rejected for being "too cerebral". It was much more than that, knowing how much he tended to twist things, and the network did like enough to give him a second pilot.

Thinking about it though, I'd consider this to be the good basis for a movie, in the sense that you can have a injured or dying crewmember on a ship commandeered by his or her friends travelling to a place they shouldn't be going in order to find some way for that person to live again.

That's the basic plot of Star Trek III, as they steal the Enterprise to take McCoy and Spock's brain to the Genesis planet.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

That's the basic plot of Star Trek III, as they steal the Enterprise to take McCoy and Spock's brain to the Genesis planet.

You mean Spock's Katra. We don't talk about Spock's Brain  tongue

fireproof78 wrote:

the studio said it was "too cerebral." In other words, they felt the audience couldn't connect with the characters.

According to Robert Justman they said that because they couldn't just say "We dont like that you cast your girlfriend as a stripper and neither does your wife!" (paraphrasing)

Clint Howard I believe still has the record for longest time between Trek appearances. He later played  crazy guy on Deep Space Nine's 'Past Tense'

The Corbomite Maneuver wasn't the first episode shown (RedXavier seems to be sticking to original broadcast order) but it was the first regular episode to be shot after the series was picked up

Faldor wrote:
Invid wrote:

You mean Spock's Katra. We don't talk about Spock's Brain  tongue

fireproof78 wrote:

the studio said it was "too cerebral." In other words, they felt the audience couldn't connect with the characters.

According to Robert Justman they said that because they couldn't just say "We dont like that you cast your girlfriend as a stripper and neither does your wife!" (paraphrasing)

Clint Howard I believe still has the record for longest time between Trek appearances. He later played  crazy guy on Deep Space Nine's 'Past Tense'

The Corbomite Maneuver wasn't the first episode shown (RedXavier seems to be sticking to original broadcast order) but it was the first regular episode to be shot after the series was picked up

They also tried to get rid of Spock too, but Roddenberry managed to win out on that one. It was a fight with the studio pretty much from the get-go. There are a lot of stories that go back and forth regarding the history and we probably may never know the full history, though it is interesting.

Personally, I have always been a fan of the Menagerie as an episode as well as The Cage. It certainly has a different feel to it and Hunter's Pike is far more brooding than Shatner's Kirk. I think I identified more with Pike's introspective way, as I am that way myself.

Anyway, there certainly is a lot of variety on display in The Original Series  reflecting many of the different writers who contributed.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Moving into the second half the season now, and it's starting to get really good in my view.  smile  Some episodes are a real delight to watch.

Trying to hold back off on the spoilers from here on, in case some haven't seen them yet.

13 - Conscience of a King
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081207182660/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/b/bf/Anton_Karidian_performs_Macbeth.jpg/640px-Anton_Karidian_performs_Macbeth.jpg

A fascinating episode where an old friend of Kirk's insists that an elderly Shakespearean actor is actually a long-thought dead war criminal. And thus a sort of detective story unfolds as Kirk employs various methods of exposing the actor, including getting the actor to read out a speech the war criminal had once given. Meanwhile, witnesses of the criminal from years ago are being murdered. It has obvious parallels to the hunt for Nazis but there are a few twists added in to make it distinct. Firstly, the actor has a loving daughter who's doing what she can to protect him, second, they introduce this possibility that by killing thousands, the war criminal may have actually saved millions, and thirdly, a crew member whose family had been among the victims overhears the suspicions and decides to serve some justice of his own.

Great episode! I was riveted and they manage to involve Kirk in more ways than just starship captain who happens to be around - he's personally involved both due to him being a witness and the fact that his friend has been murdered. I like how history is constantly coming up, supporting the current events and providing scope to the universe and its characters. All without being introduced in some clumsy flashback wraparound story like it does in the other Trek series. At this point, I'm acutely reminded that the flashback doesn't seem to have become a TV trope yet!

14 - Balance of Terror
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110609172161/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/d/d5/Romulan_commander_and_Centurian.jpg/640px-Romulan_commander_and_Centurian.jpg

The Enterprise pursues a Romulan warbird that's destroyed several Federation outposts as it retreats back across the Neutral Zone. One of the top 5 for me definitely. It's a tense submarine cat and mouse story with Kirk pitting his wits against... Spock's father? One of those unfortunate results of watching this all back to front is seeing the actor who played Spock's father in the movies showing up in his first Trek role as the Romulan commander. Again, events of the past come to influence the present, as a tense peace exists between the Federation and the Romulans, which the latter part have broken with their sneak attack. And further, they never learned what the Romulans looked like so we're all equally treated to a stunning revelation that they look just like Vulcans (except I guess if you're already seen Next Gen, oh well). This then introduces a rather startling subplot as one of the Enterprise bridge officers develops a strong dislike of Spock as a result of the similarity and isn't the least bit subtle about it. I don't believe it's a 1:1 racism analogy, as the officer only develops his feelings after Vulcans and Romulans are shown to look alike, but to me it seems reminscent of the Cold War, with a "you're a commie too and I don't like commies!" vibe. That the crewmember had a personal grudge against the Romulans due to the war (history again!) I feel contributes more to this interpretation than anything to do with race.

Highly recommend this one. Actually, if there's any one episode that I'd get someone to see it would probably be this one. Accessible, exciting without stuff constantly exploding, engaging and genuinely surprising... all without any really obvious moments of ACTING!

15 - Shore Leave
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050129153558/memoryalpha/en/images/3/3d/McCoyDeath.jpg

I guess they can't all be great. The Enterprise away team beams down to a bizarre magic land whilst searching for R&R. And it's just that, a magic land where things happen for little to no reason thanks to a mind-reading, seemingly omnipotent race of beings. This to me is weak Trek. Be careful what you wish for I guess could be an underyling message, but it could surely have been done better than this. Maybe Crichton got his idea for Sphere from this?

Tripe. Next!

16 - The Galileo Seven
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081207041021/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/0/01/GalileoCrew.jpg/640px-GalileoCrew.jpg

And right back into the game! The shuttle Galileo, carrying 7 crewmembers in its sparse interior including Spock, Scotty and McCoy, runs into trouble during a space storm and crashes onto a planet. Straight from the screenwriters' manual, there's a time limit to their rescue as the Enterprise has to deliver medical supplies somewhere else and a guy on board is insisting on assuming command over Kirk if he stays too long there. Meanwhile, the Galileo crew have to work together to fix their busted ship, contending both with Spock's command style and the hostile planet natives. And of course, some redshirts may have been harmed in the making of this episode (though again, not wearing the red shirt - where does that trope even come from then?)

Another good one, really didn't know what was going to happen in this one (aside from predictably of death) and the ending is just great.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Ron Moore of TNG/DS9 NuBSG fame has said  Conscience of a King is his favorite TOS episode and you can see why.

Balance of Terror is a remake of the World War 2 movie "The Enemy Below", which I quite liked. Robert Mitchum stars as a US Destroyer captain who tracks a German sub.

Galileo 7 was written so they could get the money to build the shuttle sets. You'll notice The Enemy Within plot doesn't work if they can just send shuttles down to rescue everyone, but they had no shuttles yet smile

(years later, they put the saucer separation in the Next Gen pilot as they knew they'd never be able to justify the cost if they tried to fund it from a regular episode, then only used it once or twice in 7 years. The saucer on the original Enterprise could separate as well)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

By the way, if you weren't aware of the latest news about the Galileo prop - after years of neglect by multiple owners, it was recently bought by a new owner and completely restored. 

The restoration was completed just a few weeks ago and the Galileo is on its way to its new permanent home at the Johnson Space Center in Houston, where it'll be on display.    Hopefully I'll get to see it next month when I'm in Houston for Space-City Con. 

/I win

You're going to Houston?

God speed.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

You're going to Houston?

God speed.

That whole "Pink 5 finale" unveiling...ending...thing

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

years later, they put the saucer separation in the Next Gen pilot as they knew they'd never be able to justify the cost if they tried to fund it from a regular episode,

The TNG pilot was done by ILM who cheekily reused the separation footage in the seventh movie.

I was never able to remember this much when I had exams  neutral

And so we continue.

17 - The Squire of Gothos
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060228154241/memoryalpha/en/images/6/65/Trelane.jpg

The Enterprise runs into a seeminly omnipotent being who wants to have some of the crew as playthings. Kirk objects, and so the episode involves the crew trying to find the source of the being's power and shutting it down. Having just watched the second season 'Apollo' episode, the two are very similar (right down to the fact that the beings are recreating eras in Earth history). The being fancies himself as a Napoleonic era general and appears besotted with that time, so there's juxtaposition between Kirk, the enlightened contemporary man, and the violent man of the past. There's a really interesting moment when the crew realise the food looks great, but doesn't taste good, and I like that it's this revelation that leads to them to conclude that the being has weaknesses and that therefore there is a way out. And Kirk, always the thinking man, is able to goad the being into hunting him to buy some more time - cue action scene. In the end, the episode has shades of Charlie X, complete with a deus ex machina resolution to the crew's predicament. So the climax seems to fizzle out.

18 - Arena AKA Gorn Attack
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081207054606/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/b/bd/Cestus_III_outpost_destroyed%2C_remastered.jpg/640px-Cestus_III_outpost_destroyed%2C_remastered.jpg

The Enterprise chases a raider ship responsible for the destruction of a colony, but then a race of powerful beings trap Kirk and his raider counterpart on a planet where they must personally face each other in combat. Except that the raider is a Gorn, with must greater physical strength and durability. Kirk thus needs to find a way to even the odds. It's wonderful to at last see this one, the episode that seems to have had such an influence on popular culture and the rest of Trek, to see where the Galaxy Quest joke really comes from ("Look around you, can you form some sort of rudimentary lathe?"). This is Kirk at his best in my view, striving to use his brains to solve the problem, and getting exhausted and beat up a lot like a vulnerable human rather than a superhero.

The Enterprise tends to run into a lot of these superbeings on their journey, and it's not always the most interesting premise for an episode, but I feel that this has the most satisfying ending; the race thinks we might be worth talking to in a few thousand years (when we've overcome our baser instincts). I'm a fan of Stargate SG-1, and one of the best episodes in that long running series was called The Fifth Race, in which the Asgardian aliens also believe humans will ultimately be worthy. I suppose I'm an optimist  smile

19 - Tomorrow is Yesterday
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080303224331/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/6/6c/Fellini_questions_Kirk.jpg/633px-Fellini_questions_Kirk.jpg

Oh my god! This is where the whole flying into the sun to go back in time thing comes from! This is the kind of unexpected joy that I've had watching the series. The Enterprise is accidentally sent back into the late 60s (what a coincidence eh?) and as they fly through Earth's upper atmosphere they're discovered by an American pilot. They attempt to use a tractor beam (I forget why) and are forced to beam the pilot aboard when his jet breaks apart under the stress. The pilot thus becomes exposed to the future and can't be returned to the surface in case he changes the course of history. And whilst they wrestle with that dilemma, they have to work out how to return to their own time. I loved this episode, including a scene where Kirk is interrogated by some security guards and is almost obnoxiously cool. 

Spock makes a mistake in this one which really surprised me. He comments that the pilot has made no contributions to history, but completely neglects to consider any of his descendents! That's a schoolboy error. But then it's Original Series Trek, which means that it's merely the set-up for more great interplay between Kirk, McCoy and Spock.

20 - Court Martial
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130112174539/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/1/1f/CourtMartial.jpg/634px-CourtMartial.jpg

I love, love, love this episode. Kirk is faced with a court martial after evidence is found on the Enterprise computer that he wrongfully jettisoned a pod containing one of his crewmembers (killing him) during a storm. Former classmates don't believe him and spurn him and the victim's daughter screams at him, Kirk is in trouble but is adamant that what he did was the right thing to do - even though it clearly pains him that it resulted in the death of someone he once considered a friend. He gets a craggy old lawyer to defend him and thus the stage is set for an engaging trial, which is superior to Spock's trial in Menagerie in every way. We also, finally it seems, get an actual female character, a smart and independent lawyer who prosecutes the case against Kirk. She used to be former flame of his years ago, but doesn't fall into his arms like every other hormone-controlled woman on the show, and is conflicted because she's going against a friend and not because of love; she nevertheless still does her job, and does it excellently. She's still played by a stunning actress (there isn't a single remotely unattractive female cast in the entire season), but she's not dressed up for the amusement of a powerful being and, to my recollection, isn't photographed in that awfully corny soft focus manner. There's a scene near the end which is masterful, and is probably the smartest thing I've seen on TV in a long while. Granted, it may have been born from budget constraints but if anyone did it now, a superb, suspenseful scene would have been replaced by a dull 'deck by deck search'.

The more I see of Shatner's Kirk, the less impressed I am of Abram's/Pine's version. It's not a pale shadow, it's a completely different and totally inferior character.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

18 - Arena AKA Gorn Attack
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081207054606/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/b/bd/Cestus_III_outpost_destroyed%2C_remastered.jpg/640px-Cestus_III_outpost_destroyed%2C_remastered.jpg

brian

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We continue!

21 - Return of the Archons
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__9PCmBrOEMA/TFLiwrYH2UI/AAAAAAAAELI/aC-Frdt_2Rw/s320/archons.jpg

The crew guest star in a western! Seriously though, the crew beam down to the set of a western. Or maybe Westworld. The society on this planet's run by this powerful being called Landrew, which I kept thinking was similar to Andrew, so that was a bit distracting. Landrew runs the place like a cult and so Kirk decides to put a stop to it, in what I believe is the first example of him deliberately breaking the prime directive. It's nothing special, the resolution is the best thing - Kirk using his wits and talking Landrew into submission. There's this thing where the society are all in a dazed happiness and then run wild for short time with 'anything goes' during that period. The residents of the western backlot completely trash their home, and rape, robbery and presumably murder all occur, then they go back to normal once the 'festival' is done. I don't really buy the idea that a society that has 'limited crime anmesty' can be functional, but at least I now see where that recent movie The Purge got the idea from. The epilogue implies that Kirk's actions have screwed up the planet, but the message appears to be that mankind needs its dark side to mature and that they're ultimately end up being ok.

22 - Space Seed
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090604045433/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/7/72/Khan_Noonien_Singh%2C_2267.jpg/559px-Khan_Noonien_Singh%2C_2267.jpg

This is what it's all been about! (well, at least partially.) Kirk and his crew wake up Khan, who has been floating in space for a couple hundred years, and as we all know from Wrath of Khan, the 20th century (!) superhuman tries to take over the Enterprise and is marooned on Ceti Alpha V instead. My first thought watching this was, wow, Montalban looks so young! And whilst I knew the beats from the movie/Chekov's summation, it was fascinating to see how the events unfolded and the interactions between Kirk and Khan, both psychological and physical. They have a bit of a punch up too, which I thought was surprisingly well done for the 60s. I was rivetted the whole episode, except one part. Khan is incredibly abusive towards a female crewmember (who I assume ends up becoming his wife) and she's written to take this abuse and still adore him. I know that there are stories in real life about wives staying with their husbands despite the occasional abuse, ultimately because there's still love there, but this lady has only just met Khan and he's twisting her arm and causing her pain - her reaction? Something like 'oh please don't send me away'.

Good episode, but not as good as I thought it would be. I suppose it's hard for it to live up to the expectations set by the movie.

23 - A Taste of Armaggedon
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100118192351/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/4/46/Eminiar_Guards.jpg/602px-Eminiar_Guards.jpg

The Enterprise visits a planet waging a war with its neighbour via computer. Over hundreds of years each civilisation has been killing its own people in accordance with casualty projections provided by the computer. As a result, each civilisation - its buildings, traditions and culture - is preserved. The chosen few line up and walk into a chamber to be disintegrated, entirely willingly. Ok, weird, but the Enterprise and its crew are declared casualties too and so must also be proccessed, prompting Kirk to ignore the prime directive and put a stop to the whole affair.  On the planet, Kirk and Spock and a few others must escape capture and on the ship in orbit, Scotty has to contend with not knowing what's happened to his captain and being ordered about by a diplomat. There's a great moment where Scotty uses his wits and checks a message supposedly sent to them by Kirk, and another even greater scene where he refuses to obey an order to lower the Enterprise's shields. Memory Alpha says that in real life James Doohan, whilst serving in the Canadian Artillery, refused an order given by a colonel during a training exercise which would have killed his own men. The asshat diplomat even has an arc too, which means that everything comes together really well.

This has been my absolute favourite episode of all so far, as I felt the message of the episiode was right on. Absent the true horrors of war, the society lacked the motivation to see it end. Further, Kirk goes about enacting his plan to enact change with the kind of coolness, cunning and perceptiveness that I've come to expect from him and what I've enjoyed seeing so much whilst watching the series. I am simply loving this Kirk.

24 - This Side of Paradise
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080830024517/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/e/e3/Spock_and_Leila_Kalomi.jpg/640px-Spock_and_Leila_Kalomi.jpg

A deserted colony turns out not to be deserted at all, the residents alive and well thanks to weird plants; plants that then infect the Enterprise crew and turn them into happy dappy folks. I get the feeling that these 'magic substance affects our emotions' episodes are really about letting Spock not be so Vulcan. As you can probably tell, I wasn't a fan of this one. I'm not sure what this episode is supposed to be about, or what it's revealing about the characters than we've not already seen - especially since it essentially ends with a reset. However, it's pretty funny, with Spock goofing off, so maybe this is the obligatory comedy episode of this season?

Last batch coming next smile I'll bet folks will be happy to know I won't be doing this for the next 2 seasons!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

25 - The Devil in the Dark
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110626045255/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/6/61/Spock_and_Kirk_inspect_Horta_tunnel.jpg/640px-Spock_and_Kirk_inspect_Horta_tunnel.jpg

We open in the dark tunnels of a mining colony where a group of security guards are wary of a monster that has been killing their people. For some reason, the group leaves behind just one man, who gets horribly murdered. The Enterprise then arrives and helps them conduct a search for the monster, a Horta. This was a fascinating episode with some spooky moments, and I like how the message seems partially to be that we shouldn't judge by appearance, also, about how 'humans are the real monsters'. I got a bit of Beowulf vibe here, with the monster terrorising the community as a result of something the humans had done to it. Kirk shows restraint, and as a result the story resolves to the satisfaction of everyone. It does get a little melodramatic at some points, and the 'mind meld' seems to be becoming a vulcan superpower.

My favourite moment of this episode is one that you might almost miss. Kirk is in trouble, trapped in a cavern with the monster approaching him, and Spock is outside trying to find another way to him. Kirk's comms go silent, and Spock quickens his pace to a run and shouts "Jim!". It's subtle, but I found myself amazed at how effective it was at communicating how Spock feels about his friend. Further, it's Spock showing real emotion without being under the influence of magic goo, mind control plants, or an omnipotent being having fun.

26 - Errand of Mercy
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081224105029/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/c/c1/Klingon_invasion_of_Organia.jpg/640px-Klingon_invasion_of_Organia.jpg

War's about to take place with the Klingons and the Enterprise has to secure a base on a strategic planet where a primitive race lives. Some fake Klingons turn up and Kirk and Spock must hide amongst the natives whilst the Federation musters a fleet. I'm not quite sure why the prime directive doesn't preclude the Federation from visiting this place at all, but this one is basically about Kirk trying to get the Organians to fight back against the Klingon occupying force, then becoming frustrated when they don't. It turns out the Organians are yet another race of omnipotent beings. It's an interesting episode for Kirk, and there's the start of some dramatic interaction between him and the leader of the Klingons, but otherwise I just don't think enough is done with it, or with the 'will he be found out or not' aspect. I get the impression the writer of this episode isn't as capable of writing smart Kirk as some of the others involved in the show. There's a bit at the end where Kirk gets annoyed that he can't fight, and acts like a belligerent child full of hate for his enemy, which I found slightly at odds with what he's done throughout most of the season.

27 - The Alternative Factor
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20041016022161/memoryalpha/en/images/c/c5/Alternative_warp.jpg

The Enterprise encounters a railing madman who is fighting this version of himself and... ok, I confess; I got so bored with this one, I didn't finish it.

28 - City on the Edge of Forever
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061201034356/memoryalpha/en/images/c/c2/Guardian_of_Forever%2C_2267.jpg

Kirk and Spock must travel back in time to undo damage to the timeline caused by a McCoy driven mad by a drug overdose. A timeline in which Germany developed the atomic bomb before the allies because the US had become pacifist... yeah it doesn't quite make sense (and why there's a time portal in the first place remains a mystery!). What follows has to be one of the most moving episodes of the season, with Kirk falling in love with a social worker in the 1930s (?), a woman who turns out to be the key to correcting the timeline and preserving the Enterprise and Federation as they're meant to be etc. This episode has it all, humour, shock, love, and sadness, and is very entertaining. However, for me it felt less Trek and more Twightlight Zone/Outer Limits.

And that wraps it up, I'm seeing another episode called Operation Annhilate! on the wiki, but didn't find this one in my download folder. I might have to track it down.

I undertook this journey for various reasons. Firstly, because I found it odd that it was the only series of Star Trek I hadn't seen yet (and I've liked all of the others) and second because I was intrigued by what snippets of the stories I had heard about via popular culture or other movies/series (e.g. Space Seed).

Finally, I had seen this picture a while ago and really wanted to know who all these characters were:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/294/4/2/star_trek_the_original_series_by_dusty_abell-d5ihg4k.jpg

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down