Re: Suggest a movie!

Well they wouldn't do Blind Side now, but sometime in the future. Cause honestly, Sandra Bullock's preformance didn't really blow me away. And yes, The Shining is also a good choice.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

what no chitty chitty bang bang tongue

ok on a serious note: Last samurai why well it just popped into my head

Last edited by Pookersthedruid (2010-03-13 00:32:51)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How about... Masters of the Universe? Lots of practical special effects to discuss, the impact of He-man, the cheapness of the film's transplantion of He-man and his pals to what looks like the Back to the Future backlot, young Robert Duncan McNeil and Courtney Cox, the sexiness of Evil Lyn, Frank Langella's Skeletor.

Also, Flash Gordon would be good as well.
"Flash I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth!"

Doesn't that Camembert smell so good?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Pathetic earthlings. Hurling your bodies out into the void. Without the slightest inkling of who or what is out here. If you had known anything about the true nature of the universe, anything at all … you would've hidden from it in terror."

I can get down with some Flash Gordon. I mean, come on. Max von Sydow, Timothy Dalton, Brian Freakin' Blessed, and that guy whose name I'm blanking on from Fiddler on the Roof. It's a hell of a cast, and they play it absolutely straight every step of the way. I think Flash Gordon is in the same general class as The Princess Bride, only separated from it by some inherent charm and a Mark Knopfler soundtrack.

Last edited by Jeffery Harrell (2010-03-16 15:28:32)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A few years ago someone posted their account of why Flash Gordon is the way it is. They attended a test screening, and the audience was very quiet as it went on. Maybe a half hour in, the poster turned to his friend and whispered, "I think this is SUPPOSE to be funny" and they started laughing at it. The rest of the crowd started in as well, and soon everyone was having a great time except one guy behind him... the director. He was NOT making a comedy. After the screening they quizzed people on what the good comedy bits were and when the film came out those were gone.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Funny you say that since Flash Gordon has an awesome soundtrack, courtesy of Queen.

"FLASH... A-AH... saviour of the universe!"

The film did poorly everywhere except the UK, now it's a little bit of a cult classic. You're right about the cast, it's pretty good and well rounded - though it's amusing that Sam Jones had to be dubbed. And like the Buck Rogers TV series it provided good material for fans to argue over who was hotter - Dale Arden or Princess Aura.

"Oh my god this girl's really turning me on."

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Actually, you guys should get drunk and do Flesh Gordon sometime. Lots of good special effects in that one wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How about the Back to the Future Trilogy?

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Probably wouldn't make a great commentary, but who knows.

Space Jam.

Definitely one of the pinnacles of my childhood (And still one of my favorite movies!)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Oh my god....I forgot all about Space Jam

This needs to be done like now!

also yea big childhood movie here as well.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm impressed how many of the movies that have been a big deal to me over the years you guys have already done, but Fifth Element is somehow conspicuously absent, and there's a lot to be said on that one. Luke Perry's bit part is worth the price of admission alone. Someone else said Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which all but announces in voice over that it fits your definition of a perfect movie.

Also, there's one that nobody seems to have brought up, Office Space. Like Princess Bride or Star Wars, it's a film that has become assumed context for members of our society. Who doesn't know the significance of TPS reports? Lumberg's "Yeah, I'm gonna need..." Milton saying anything. Then there's some other scenes that just aren't that great. What's up with that?

Oh, and the fish guys love it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Fifth Element.

wink

As for Office Space, that might actually be a comedy we could do adequately. Hm.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

though it's amusing that Sam Jones had to be dubbed.

He was? I had no idea. I actually saw him not that long ago, on an episode of Stargate SG-1 of all things. Yeah, he's still workin'. A little older, a little thicker about the middle, but still workin'. And he sounded not at all unlike he did in the movie.

On the subject of The Fifth Element, all I can say is "a thousand times yes." Also, "mooltipass."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sometimes I make Brian cry by showing him lots of pictures of war. Then he runs around mostly naked for a while.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

Sometimes I make Brian cry by showing him lots of pictures of war. Then he runs around mostly naked for a while.

O.o

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's a...Fifth...

...nevermind. Prank caller.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

sometimes I worry about you guys smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Flight of the Navigator.  I was just enamored with this movie as a kid, but the strange thing was I didn't actually own a copy of it.  The only thing I had was a version taped off of TV.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

You know, typical Democrat stuff.

Rocketeer, a movie that goes to show you that comic book movies have been around for awhile.  But, I liked it.

Last edited by FireFighter214 (2010-03-22 02:22:52)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Formalising random twitter requests: Strange Days.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thumbs up from me for both Strange Days and Rocketeer - two faves of mine.  Both of which should have gotten more attention than they did, if'n you ask me.

I'd even say both are contenders for placement on the "perfect movie" shelf.

A movie popped into my head I haven't thought about in a long time: Outland, the 1981 Sean Connery film. Like with Alien I read the novelization long before actually seeing the movie, and always liked how it seemed to be set in the same universe as Alien (near future, "realistic" space tech, amoral corporation). For one, brief period I thought they were setting up some sort of shared universe idea but it seems to have just lasted two movies...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ninja assassin just came out watch it and just trust me when i say i know you will have things to say about how much blood comes out off these ppl

Thumbs up Thumbs down

V for Vendetta.  Another comic book movie, but not like many others.  I like it, alot.

Thumbs up Thumbs down