Re: Suggest a movie!

I think E.T. is very 'meh'. Never thought it was that amazing. Not that I think it's crap or anything, it obviously isn't I just couldn't get into it.

It doesn't help that we didn't get it on home video for about 5 years after it was released in cinemas.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For your consideration...

I don't know if you've ever considered doing a Shakespeare adaptation, but I just rewatched Ian McKellan's "Richard III" from 1995 last night on Netflix streaming and was blown away, again, by how brilliant that production is.  As far as Shakespeare goes, it's pretty understandable language and it has that great fascist Britain theme going on.  Not to mention some of the most ecclectic casting you'll ever see in a "period" piece (I mean, really, Robert Downey, Jr. as the queen's brother?)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am so grossly underqualified for Shakespeare.

http://www.concoxions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Gonzo-and-Rizzo.jpg

I knew you weren't suited for literature!

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My favorite Shakeaspeare adaptation is still Branagh's Henry V.  CHILLS.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Astroninja Studios wrote:

My favorite Shakeaspeare adaptation is still Branagh's Henry V.  CHILLS.

DIF should do Henry V on October 25: St. Crispin's Day. And those who don't attend will think themselves accursed and HOLD THEIR MANHOODS CHEAP!

EDIT: Oh and I agree that McKellan's Richard III is simply awesome. Welcome, Taupecat!

Last edited by Zarban (2011-04-08 19:54:22)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I've probably said it before but, Dune.

The spice must flow.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also Miyazaki, especially Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke or Howl's Moving Castle.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If they do tackle Miyazaki there'd really only be reason to do one. Not because they're not great, but because not being huge anime fans I doubt they'd be able to come up with more then one movie's worth of conversation smile That being the case, I'd go with either Nausicaa or Laputa (Castle in the Sky) for being the best examples. Yes, Princess Mononoke has the Neil Gaiman adapted translation and was the first in US theaters, and Spirited Away was the first to get any real mainstream US theatrical notice, but I say start with the classics. Nausicaa is what made people go "Hey, this TV director can do great original stuff!" (plus it got the infamous US butchering in the form of "Warrior of the Winds")

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Mars Attacks!"

I have always found it to be really underrated, maybe its because I saw it when I was still movie stupid*, but I enjoy it.

Plus it had some really kick ass toys.

*when someone doesn't know any better

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's also one of those movies where they didn't really know they were adapting something. The story goes someone asked the writer(s) how much of the original story they were using, and it turns out nobody had bothered to turn the cards over to see it actually had one. It was just a set of fun pictures to them smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shackman wrote:

with regards to Patton, i actually just watched it the other day.  Unless it was just a weird glitch on Netflix, none of the german scenes are subtitled.  but the great thing is, with a well placed "Patton" and a map, you get an idea of what they're talking about.   I didn't remember that from the first time I saw it.

I'm not sure if i remember seeing that in any other movie.

Life is Beautiful has a scene where a german guard is spouting things off in german without subtitles and then Roberto Benini's character is "translating" it to italian, except he doesn't actually know german so he's just making shit up in an effort to keep his kid from totally freaking out. It was hilarious in the theater. I watched it dubbed on TV one time and it got to that part and both characters were speaking english. Didn't work at all. I can't remember if any of the german dialogue is subtitled in the entire film, but I don't think it is.

Suggestions:

Lethal Weapon
City of God

I have a bit of a soft spot for Mars Attacks as well. It's a pretty funny little send-up of old alien invasion movies, but I didn't really like the ending. I know the whole movie was kinda goofy and zany, but that last bit with the singing killing the aliens... came out of nowhere and went a little too far into the 'nonsensical' realm for my taste. I like the rest of it for the most part, tho.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Squiggly_P wrote:

Life is Beautiful has a scene where a german guard is spouting things off in german without subtitles and then Roberto Benini's character is "translating" it to italian, except he doesn't actually know german so he's just making shit up in an effort to keep his kid from totally freaking out. It was hilarious in the theater. I watched it dubbed on TV one time and it got to that part and both characters were speaking english. Didn't work at all. I can't remember if any of the german dialogue is subtitled in the entire film, but I don't think it is.

Reminds me of the Japanese live action mecha movie GUNHED. It was filmed with half the cast speaking Japanese and the other half speaking English, with each side understanding the other perfectly and subtitles for the audiences benefit. For the US release they did a dub version so everyone spoke English, which not only ruined the mood but destroyed the the one big laugh out loud moment when the Japanese lead says a line in English.

Going in the other direction, in a couple anime dubs the better American VA directors have been known to translate dialog from English into another language if in the original the intent was for the Japanese audience to not know what was being said unless they happened to know English.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shifty Bench wrote:

I think E.T. is very 'meh'. Never thought it was that amazing. Not that I think it's crap or anything, it obviously isn't I just couldn't get into it.

It doesn't help that we didn't get it on home video for about 5 years after it was released in cinemas.

Well, the idea was it would be held back and re-released into theaters the same way Disney was doing with their cartoons. Never would we see E.T. or Star Wars on video! Ah, those were the days...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm  huge fan of City of God.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
Shifty Bench wrote:

Well, the idea was it would be held back and re-released into theaters the same way Disney was doing with their cartoons. Never would we see E.T. or Star Wars on video! Ah, those were the days...

This is true.  Doesn't stop it from being a stupid idea, though big_smile
E.T. was not shown on TV in the UK til Christmas day 1990, I think it was a world TV premiere if memory serves smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Shifty Bench wrote:

I think E.T. is very 'meh'.

ET isn't 1/10th the film Close Encounters is. Plus it totally ripped off Mac and Me, the Surrogates of its time.

Invid wrote:

Reminds me of the Japanese live action mecha movie GUNHED. It was filmed with half the cast speaking Japanese and the other half speaking English, with each side understanding the other perfectly and subtitles for the audiences benefit. For the US release they did a dub version so everyone spoke English, which not only ruined the mood but destroyed the the one big laugh out loud moment when the Japanese lead says a line in English.

And THAT reminds ME of a moment in The Schoolteacher in College, the second Edwige Fenech Schoolteacher Italian sex comedy. The lovely schoolteacher keeps the cheeky student after class to demand some extra work in his language class. The language is Jarai (which I had to look up is a Vietnamese language), but he says, dubbed in English, "I'll write it in English, since my Jarai hieroglyphics are worse than my English". His grammar is awful—even tho they are speaking English—and she corrects him. They never address "Jarai" again. It's surreal.

The fact that the person doing the dub chose to pretend that they were studying Jarai instead of English because the dub was in English was the funniest part of the movie.

The first Schoolteacher movie was good, tho. It should be remade by Hollywood. And Scarlett Johansson  should be the titular schoolteacher.

/film nerd/pervert

Last edited by Zarban (2011-04-15 00:49:56)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:
Shifty Bench wrote:

I think E.T. is very 'meh'.

ET isn't 1/10th the film Close Encounters is. Plus it totally ripped off Mac and Me, the Surrogates of its time.

Ha! 1 point for making me laugh and 10 bonus points for the Mac and Me reference big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.stardusttrailers.com/gallery_film/(200509144159)collateral_2.jpg

Collateral. The cinematography is outstanding and Cruise delivers such a badass performance that you'd think his name was Daniel Day Lewis.

I do like Collateral.  It gets a bit formulaic at times, but i enjoy it.  Tom's gun play is actually damn impressive.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Another thumbs up for Collateral from me.   Gets a bit silly in the third act, but damn, Cruise as a villain is awesome.   He does the dark version of the character he plays in most every other movie, and shows there's not actually much difference between the two.    'cause whether a guy is a superhero or a supervillain all kinda depends on whether you approve of what he's doing, don't it?

Hmm.  Now I wanna watch it again.

I think it was Willem Dafoe, when asked if he preferred playing heroes to villains, said, "Doesn't matter.  Same thing.  Everyone is righteous in their own mind."

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I do like Collateral.  It gets a bit formulaic at times, but i enjoy it.  Tom's gun play is actually damn impressive.

I'm all for reality bending Matrix-style gun play but sometimes legit combat tactics can be just as exhilarating and entertaining.

The hip fire double tap he does on the muggers in that movie is specifically what I was referring to.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The hip fire double tap he does on the muggers in that movie is specifically what I was referring to.

He actually triple taps one of them. It's the most badass thing ever.

Gods damn that man is fast on  the draw.

ZangrethorDigital.ca