Re: Suggest a movie!

Keep walking....... big_smile

Last edited by Jimmy B (2012-09-24 01:25:10)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like Freddy vs Jason tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've heard the original Woman in Black from 1989 is terrifying, haven't seen it, though the whole thing is on youtube

Last edited by bullet3 (2012-09-24 01:47:24)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lamer wrote:

Yeah, so do I, but I couldn't resist big_smile

I prefer Freddy vs Jason to Jason X.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The new Woman in Black is pretty solid too. Puts maintaining creepy atmosphere above jump scares, a forgotten element in a lot of horror movies these days.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:
Lamer wrote:

Yeah, so do I, but I couldn't resist big_smile

I prefer Freddy vs Jason to Jason X.

There wasn't a "bad" Friday the 13th movie for me, but will admit that the 5th film is close.  Favorites from that series are the 1st 4, 6, 9 (mainly for the commentary) & 2009 reboot.  Still say that if 1 of the movies are done for DiF, I say do the very 1st before any others.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't do scary movies much, so I have few recommendations. Take them for what they are worth:
"The Ring"
"Exorcist"-can't remember if either have been done.
Um,  can't think of any others at the moment.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

dodgson wrote:

Why you don't like this masterpiece and all-around beloved horror classic, Teague?

There is nothing wrong with not liking a film considered a classic. I mean, hell, it's a low budget film in a genre he may not like that has been ripped off to death. It's also slow, very slow. Either you go with it, or you don't. Hell, maybe the problem is he went from The Thing to Halloween, and not the other way around.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I hope they choose a cheesy horror film, like Killer Clowns of outer space or puppet master, I had Cinemax and watched a lot of these as a kid.

I think HALLOWEEN's major strength is also what would make it difficult to do a commentary -- the single-minded, relentless threat of Michael Myers. It's masterfully done in that the tension goes up and stays up the entire film -- he's always out there, he's always coming, there's nothing you can do but try to run, try to hide. And you do, and he finds you anyway. And you try to kill him, and he doesn't stop. It's the first film I can think of that literally feels like a nightmare. The entire film is the last act of TERMINATOR.

So, I put it on my list. But, really, how many times in a commentary can we say "This is really scary, the way she runs and he keeps on coming"?

I did not put TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE on my list because I thought it was boring as fuck. I want to say the remake was scarier but I'm weirdly not sure if I actually saw it or just imagined I did.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
dodgson wrote:

Why you don't like this masterpiece and all-around beloved horror classic, Teague?

There is nothing wrong with not liking a film considered a classic. I mean, hell, it's a low budget film in a genre he may not like that has been ripped off to death. It's also slow, very slow. Either you go with it, or you don't. Hell, maybe the problem is he went from The Thing to Halloween, and not the other way around.

Ya, I guess it's kinda like watching Dark Knight or Inception first, and then watching "Following" and being like "man this is so slow and lame". For something made with basically no money or reputation, that went on to basically create a genre and an entire new series of tropes within that genre, it's pretty damned impressive. I can see the smart framing and directorial choices that he would go on to use in movies that had actual budgets, so I can certainly agree it's well directed, but I still wouldn't want to sit through it again.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

So, I put it on my list. But, really, how many times in a commentary can we say "This is really scary, the way she runs and he keeps on coming"?

Well, much like with Blair Witch, you can talk more generally about the genre it created, other examples of the genre that work well, point out tropes that were created, etc., as well as the directorial techniques at play to keep said tension up.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

farley22 wrote:

2009 reboot.

Really? I thought it was pretty bad.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ringu?
Jacob's Ladder?

Last edited by Dave (2012-09-24 10:34:04)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trick'R'Treat would be a lot of fun. I'm sure you could even find a conversation about Goosebumps in there. Same vein would be Trilogy of Terror. But. Meh.

Also:
Evil Dead 2
Interview with the Vampire
Scream

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

I did not put TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE on my list because I thought it was boring as fuck. I want to say the remake was scarier but I'm weirdly not sure if I actually saw it or just imagined I did.

sad_tennant

iJim wrote:

Trick'R'Treat would be a lot of fun. I'm sure you could even find a conversation about Goosebumps in there. Same vein would be Trilogy of Terror. But. Meh.

What about Creepshow?

Last edited by Xtroid (2012-09-24 17:33:31)

Xtroid wrote:
Dorkman wrote:

sad_tennant

I take it you appreciate the virtues of the original TCM.

http://i.imgur.com/Od2Aq.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, I completely forgot about "Jeepers Creepers." How's that?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In my opinion, Jeepers Creepers is great for about the first 20 minutes then it goes nuts and a bit shite. Oddly, the second film is more fun as it doesn't really pretend to be anything it isn't. It's still shite, but it has Ray Wise, so it wins big_smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

do Cabin in the Woods this October!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

They've already talked about Cabin in the Woods, so I'd rather they wait and not have the film take up one of these spots. There are movies they're only going to ever do as part of an October run, so let's get those out of the way before doing one they're guaranteed to get to eventually.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I saw Candyman for the first time the other day and quite enjoyed it.

'I HEARD YOU LOOKIN' FOR CANDYMAN, BITCH!'

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Anthony Hopkins as a ventriloquist.

Written by William Goldman. Directed by John Hammond from Jurassic Park.

'Nuff said.

Prometheus comes out on October 9. Surely you can muster up a couple hours of words for that piece of crap, and it was supposed to be scary, so it fits the theme.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

PROMETHEUS is going to happen anyway, no need to take up an October slot for it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down