Topic: Reading/narration collaboration

Hi guys,

I wanted to float out an idea. I run a very tiny and not very much viewed YouTube channel. On said channel, I post remixes/mashups and original music I make as well as readings/narrations.

For now, my primary source of content for my narrations comes from creepypastas: user-created public domain short scary stories. There's a bit of a YouTube subculture for scary story narration. While I'm not limiting myself to scary stories, they are a helluva lotta fun to create. I'd like to also branch out into other genres; it's just a question of finding the right story and ensuring it's free for public use.

I'm trying to differentiate myself from the masses. There are a lot of YouTube narrators that record in one take on a laptop mic or a cheap headset and their work sounds like it. By producing high quality narrations, complete with music and sound effects, my intent is to create a cinematic experience for the listener and give them something they might not hear elsewhere.

What I'm curious about is whether anyone in the FIYH community has the wherewithal and/or the interest to collaborate with me on a story reading. I'm thinking a story with a minimum of 2 characters with back and forth dialogue scenes. The main requirements are that the reading has to be dynamic and acted out, not simply read in a flat tone and that the recording quality has to be high - no $10 Radio Shack microphones.

Would anyone be interested in this? Anyone?

If you want to hear examples of my work, check out my narration playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL … xzmjWenltD

[Edit]
An excerpt of the first story, "Dust" can be heard and downloaded here for temping/sampling purposes: http://snd.sc/1bT230a
The original story can be found here http://www.creepypasta.com/dust/

Last edited by Aural Stimulation (2013-07-26 20:10:29)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Reading/narration collaboration

I know I'm in, and have nice mics. If any LA people want in, there's your two right thurr.  yikes

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kickass. I was really hoping you'd be up for this. Even if we can't get another person, I can do the other character.

Ideally, it'd be fun if I was the narrator and I had 2 individual characters, but that all depends on what I find storywise.

Cool beans! I'll look around for material and post the stuff I think might be worthwhile. Thanks, Teague.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I really like this one: http://www.creepypasta.com/dust/

It's a bit long, but not terribly so. Not sure I can pull off a midwest accent, but I'd be happy to try. I really like the dry gruffness to it all.

It would be a lot of sound effect and music work, but I think the end result could be something awesome.

What thinkst thou?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd be happy to help out, but I don't think my mic would be up to scratch.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd love to help, if you still need participants. I've done a whopping two (unpaid) voiceover gigs in the past. (I attempted, unsuccessfully, to break into voice-acting/voice-matching a few years back. My lifelong friend is a professional voiceover person who does yogurt commercials, shit like that. She tutored me some, supplying acronyms like P.I.E.—Personality, Inflection, Energy!—but I couldn't hack it.) I'm no Billy West, but I truly enjoy this sort of thing, and I've got a quality mic.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm down.

Voice and mic samples in youtube channel \/

ZangrethorDigital.ca

You're hired. Both of you. Might not be able to get you all on the same project, but we could spread your talent over a couple stories like so much butter over bread.

If you have any story suggestions, let me know. I'm leaning toward that "Dust" story personally, but if there's something else cool out there (especially if it has multiple characters), let me know.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen Ward wrote:

I'd be happy to help out, but I don't think my mic would be up to scratch.

If you ever do upgrade your mic, let me know. The goal is to have all of us sound roughly the same quality.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm in. Samples? I've a thread in the creations board smile

And I'm also in a weekly podcast that you might've heard of.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2013-07-25 17:49:11)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well...

As Fireproof so kindly brought up in the chat last night...

http://quirkbooks.com/sites/default/files/book_covers/StarWars_final_72.jpg

Jus sayin, you know...it's just sitting there.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'd be interested.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:

I'm in. Samples? I've a thread in the creations board smile

And I'm also in a weekly podcast that you might've heard of.

Awesome. I'll add you to the roster.

I'm thinking the way I'm gonna do it is I'll record the narration and then provide that as the kind of baseline file that you guys can do your takes off of.

And then maybe if you send me 3 takes per cue of dialogue?

I've got a box.com account I can share for this, I think you'll just need to PM me your emails.

[Edit] Actually, it seems I can PM you an invitation link. You'll still likely need to sign up for an account to access the files.

Last edited by Aural Stimulation (2013-07-25 19:29:06)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

I'd be interested.

Oh hell yes.

Now I wanna do a FIYH haunted house radio play. Let's get Trey and Brian in here, stat.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My mic's not up to snuff (one of those $10 Radio Shack jobs), so I wouldn't be able to help; just wanted to tell you that your narrations are really awesome. smile

Last edited by Abbie (2013-07-25 20:53:17)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thanks Darth, that means a lot!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Any women want to be a part of this? It sounds pretty silly speaking what is clearly a female role when you're a dude.

Last edited by Aural Stimulation (2013-07-25 23:25:30)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Willing. I have one Librivox credit. It's probably been done to death in your circles, but how about some E.A. Poe?

I also do a mean bitchy female british royalty voice, normally reserved for the Red Queen or Queen of Hearts.

Last edited by drewjmore (2013-07-25 23:31:47)

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, also I wanted to mention that your contribution need not be strictly limited to vocals. Music, sound effects and the title card graphic/animation are all up for grabs!

You'll get a credit in the video as well as a mention and link in the description so I can help drive traffic to your site or YouTube channel.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, here's a link to an excerpt I recorded of "Dust": http://snd.sc/1bT230a

Anyone care to give the role of Carl a shot so I can try out your vocals? You only need to provide dialogue for the first part of the story. The story is found here: http://www.creepypasta.com/dust/

PM me for upload details.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you need an Australian...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

If you need an Australian...

I never don't need an Australian.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Do we need to get a room for you 2?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

We'll show you how we do it Commonwealth-style.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave, can you also mimic a British accent? I know, I know, Aussie and Brit accents aren't the same. But they're closer than Canadians and Brits.

Thumbs up Thumbs down