Topic: Saving Private Ryan

I hate these first posts.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Saving Private Ryan

"amazing and broken", you say?  Sounds like a trip to my local public library is in order (and it's one of the last Nathan Fillion film appearances I still haven't seen).

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is one of the most somber episodes I've heard from you lot. Not a criticism, just a note as I usually have these on while working and I couldn't help but notice that it was not the lively conversation I'm used to.

That aside, it is interesting to hear your criticisms and comments on this film as the most I usually get out of people is "It's a masterpiece. The end."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Another good episode. You earned this.

GENERIC KATIE (moved): Thank you for being so... brave and honest with us.

But you have to see Battlefield Earth, guys. Surviving the whole 118 minutes of this shit should be a rite of passage for every cinephile. "It's like Star Wars, only better."

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think the movie is, generally, about all veterans of foreign wars and the survivor guilt they feel. "All these men—on both sides—died, some of them in the very act of saving my ass, and yet I survived. Do I deserve it?"

No. Nobody does.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Great listen so far. If you want to see Paul Giamatti acting at 3000% you should watch Ironclad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnh_LCGGs9I&t=1m42s

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just as quick intro for myself, Trey would be worried about some of my friends, who would just sit down and watch this movie.

Edit:
Also, Point du Hoc artwork, now termed "The Real Cliffs of Insanity"

http://valorstudios.com/Images/RangersAtThePoint/Rangers-At-Point-Du-Hoc.jpg

Last edited by fireproof78 (2013-07-30 03:42:26)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

I think the movie is, generally, about all veterans of foreign wars and the survivor guilt they feel. "All these men—on both sides—died, some of them in the very act of saving my ass, and yet I survived. Do I deserve it?"

I feel like that's about how Señor Spielbergo understood what he was trying to do, yeah. The "Why do I deserve to survive and not them?" idea is in a few of his other movies, like Schindler's List, even Lincoln a little bit.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I actually quite like the ending and the fakeout. Unfortunately, I had never realized that the guy Tom Hanks sets free is the bad-guy german at the end. When WYDM pointed that out on their first recording of this, that basically broke the movie for me, because that to me is just a PROFOUNDLY awful decision. Having a blatantly bad-guy villain for the final battle is already really questionable and bothers me, but then tying it in the way they do just adds a whole level of awful subtext to it.

One of the many reasons Band of Brothers is an outstanding series (and probably the definitive film depiction of WW2) is that it doesn't stoop to the level of vilifying german soldiers, and in fact goes out of its way to show how they were in just as awful of a situation as everyone else. Possibly my favorite scene out of that whole series is when the german general addresses his men before officially surrendering to the americans, and they basically have that exact realization:

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-07-30 20:20:25)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

First, no reference to The Longest Day? Sure, parts of it are a bit cheesy, but a number of the actors actually fought in the battle, and it covers a lot of the same emotional ground. Ryan even mirrors one of the scenes, where they're sending the long pipe of explosives out to blow a hole in the barrier. In The Longest Day, Robert Mitchum (iirc) sends a guy out to run the pipe... he gets shot. He tells another to do it... he gets shot. He sends another, gives him the thumbs up that he's doing a great job... and that guy gets shot. War is hell.

Naturally, now that you've done this movie, you HAVE to do A Bridge Too Far, the WWII movie Goldman DID write.

Regarding the "true" story behind this one: It's based on the story of the Niland brothers, four boys from Buffalo, NY. Two were killed in the D Day landings, and a third went MIA and presumed dead in Burma. The fourth brother, who also took part in D Day, was brought home. The third brother was liberated from a POW camp a year later. Because of them, the destroyer the U.S.S. The Sullivans is now a memorial in the Buffalo Naval Park.

PunBB bbcode test

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great show for a movie I have never had any serious interest in watching (I might, JUST might, listen to the Titanic episode on similar grounds).  I believe the only major point I could muster while listening to it was that this show confirms that Tombstone must be addressed, if and ONLY IF to talk about the Laudanum subplot in the story line, and perhaps allow my horrible fan-edit of said film the light of day to either grow like a weed or burn horribly like a robotic Yul Brynner...

Last edited by ThrowbackSoul (2013-07-30 21:08:10)

I'm not sure if you brought it up as I've not listened to the commentary yet (on my list!), but the scene with the killing of the jewish GI as his fellow soldier stands by on the staircase would appear to be an analogy for the rest of the world standing by letting the jews be killed. Of course, that's a pretty simplistic interpretation (especially since the Third Reich didn't really start killing Jews and other undesirables until after the war had started, by which time the allies were doing something about it).

I think SPR is a good film, but I'd argue it thrives on its portrayal of the D-Day landing. After this opening, it sort of becomes quite boring, following the steroetypical 'select few on a mission' format of virtually every WW2 movie. A Bridge too Far is much better overall too, and doesn't villify the Germans as all evil Nazis.

It also has some atrocious editing in the final battle, a moment where some paratroopers are frozen in time before being killed atop a German tank.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The sun shines on the grand opening of the brand new local Iowa VFW. Private Reiben (Ed Burns) having finally tracked down that little shit that cost his friends their lives, squarely lands a punch in his face. Private Ryan (Matt Damon) instinctively returns his volley. In the aftermath of broken furniture and glass, wasted alcohol, injured bystanders, blood, tears, and yes sweat; the two men have it out. In a heap Ryan realizes who he has been fighting, and is told the story of how many lives it took to save his.

Or, maybe nothing that hackneyed happened. Maybe, in the years between the end of World War II and Ryan finally being able to take that trip to Europe with his family (What is so wrong with being into big tits?); Reiber ran into him, and told the story. Ryan thought it a good gesture to visit the white crosses of the men who saved him and Spielberg thought it a good idea for his little war movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Finally did manage to see it and listen to just about all of the commentary.  I completely agree that it's really draggy in places, and in general was kinda underwhelmed.  And it's definitely got problems, although not all of the things that bugged William Goldman bugged me. 

In terms of pacing and whatnot, sure the battle sequence at the beginning is impressive, but I'm not sure what it really adds.  If the film starts around the 35 minute mark, with Tom Hanks getting the order to look for Private Ryan, I'm not sure what's different.  (Maybe that's how Raiders Spielberg would have done it  smile  ) It's not like there's any shortage of "war is hell and sucks, and battles are confusing" moments later on. 

And I think the fact that so much of the journey stuff feels so draggy is indicative of the fact that not much is happening.  That's an obvious-sounding thing to say, but what I mean is that I kinda didn't feel any sense of progression, like there was a reason why the episode with the French girl comes first, then the stuff about the crashed aircraft, and then whatever -- like the episodes built to anything or really went anywhere, other than just the increasing sense of futility, which comes to a head after the pillbox attack.  But if that's the only point you're going to make with all the time you spend with these characters, you might as well not bother. 

And then often the individual scenes don't do much.  We're in a church, so we know we're heading for the "Long, Dark Night of the Soul" cliche, but what do we actually learn in that scene about Tom Hanks' character for example that puts him in a new light or changes the way we think about him?  He cares.  Big deal.  It's Tom Hanks; of course he fucking cares.  If it was Steve Buscemi on the other hand, then it might mean something.  So by the end it kinda feels like Tom Hanks' character hasn't changed over the course of his journey.  He's pretty much in exactly the same place at the end of the film that he is at the beginning (other than being dead obviously). 

Actually, one of the things that didn't really bother me is the flashback.  I guess I just assumed that it was something like an "omniscient flashback", sort of like an omniscient narrator.  Given that the old guy is Ryan at the beginning, the film is of course flashing back to events that he wasn't present at.  However, it is flashing back to the beginning of the story and events which lead to him being there in the cemetery staring at that particular grave.  Come to think of it, maybe looking at it that way actually gives some reason for starting with the Normandy landing, since Tom Hanks' arrival with the invasion force could in some sense be taken as the beginning of the story of how Ryan ended up there. 

And I suppose I just brought my own concrete about why Tom Hanks doesn't immediately drag Ryan back forcibly.  The "we're in a surreal situation here" conversation is totally stupid, but they do talk about how that bridge is one of only two ways for the Germans to get across that river and the whole invasion force will be screwed if they can't hold it.  And given that there's like 4 guys there, waiting for reinforcements that are God knows where, I guess I can imagine Tom Hanks having some kind of latitude or something to say "Potentially holding this bridge is actually more important than my current orders, so I'll put them on hold until this gets sorted out."  And then of course if he's wrong then he has to answer for that decision to his superiors.

Yeah, so, in a word:  meh.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Just a couple quick notes:

@Dorkman Kevin Smith was a Producer on Good Will Hunting.

@Trey The caper movie with Ed Burns you were thinking of is called Confidence. And yes, it is indeed pretty fun. Coincidentally, it also stars both Leland Orser and Paul Giamatti.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You make some great points sellew.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And, of course, another easy way around the problems at the end is simply to have one officer at the bridge who outranked Hanks. Given how scattered everyone was, as the movie showed, you made up units of whoever wandered by. Hanks and friends show up? Guess what! You're holding the north line, and you're not getting Ryan until we're relieved.

Actually, that would make a fun movie: start with them FINDING Ryan, and on the way back they keep bumping into units where a half dozen more soldiers are the key to holding out.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have always wondered why I never want to revisit this film - I wondered if it was just me, if I wasn't getting what everyone had always been going on about regarding how good this film is. Your commentary really pointed out what it was that had been bothering me with the film. Strangely, this is also making me want to revisit it.

I had a similar reaction to your commentary on Titanic. Although with that one, I am 'almost' wanting to see it again.

Almost smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was just so happy that my wife suggested we see this in the theater that I gave it a pass, but since I knew the units involved I knew at the beginning that the old man with the Screaming Eagle pin on his windbreaker had to be Ryan since the Rangers were all part of one of the Ranger Battalions and not part of the 101st Airborne Division.  it was never a surprise who he was.

BTW there were 2 Ranger Battalions that existed in June 1944.  One of those Battalions went up Pont Du Hoc and one went on Omaha Beach (further BTWs the 2 AMERICAN beaches were Utah and Omaha, the Brits and Canadians had Gold, Sword and Juno beaches).  The way I figure it Hanks best fits a guy named Major Brown who took a Company of Rangers into Normandy on Omaha Beach section Red Dog One.  By the time the movie's Saving Private Ryan part would have taken place Brown's company was down to 11 guys.

Last edited by Inner Prop (2013-08-05 19:04:20)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

History Nerd!

<j/k thanks for the insights!>

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm sure there have been better books written on the subject, but the movie The Longest Day gives a great breakdown of the entire invasion. You fully understand what units went where, and why.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gangrene is caused by an anaerobic bacteria called Clostridium perfringens. 

Also, Saving Private Ryan and War Of The Worlds make me realize why I love Munich so much.  It's the only dark and complex Spielberg movie that maintains its tone and doesn't dissolve into a puddle of sap at the end.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll try to make a defense of SPR, my second favorite Tom Hanks film after Road To Perdition.

About Ed Burns and the beef about risking so many men's lives on a mission to save one soldier:
Hanks and his men were combat infantrymen liberating Europe, they were either going on this mission or another one that would have probably been much more dangerous on the surface. Put yourself in their shoes, would you rather be ordered to take a fortified enemy position- like an artillery battery, anti-aircraft guns, or some machine gun bunkers, or be sent to find and bring back one paratrooper? The only way they were getting out of that combat theater was death, serious injury, or the end of the war. I served in the Marine Corps infantry myself, and let me tell you that Ed Burns and the other guys' problems with the mission were just par for the course. Beefing, moaning, groaning, and complaining are perhaps the #1 past time of foot soldiers. It's normal that they would be complaining leading up to D-Day, the Ryan mission, and complaining about the next mission after this one as well, it's what these guys do. Of course, as the story went, most of them died. But any other mission could have resulted in high casualties just as easily. 20/20 hindsight and all that, but I'd rather be assigned that mission and look forward to it maybe stretching out to a month or so of roaming the French countryside for one guy while staying out of the bigger battles.

I disagree that the film tried to have it both ways regarding the subject of war. War is not a black & white affair. Sometimes it's senseless, horrific, and decisions are made that are totally indefensible. At other times nobility and honor show up, and the idea that being a part of something bigger than oneself makes total sense. I like how the film showed both sides of the coin.

Lastly, some people actually have sincere and genuine feelings when they see the American flag and hear some emotional music playing. Maybe they lost a loved one who died in service to our country. Maybe they know someone who works as a firefighter or in law enforcement, and they appreciate people willingly placing themselves in danger for the well being of others. When it comes to something obviously designed to pull on our hearts strings, I get it if it doesn't work for everyone. I don't think that justifies dismissing it as manipulative tripe.

That's just my opinion, sorry for my lack of brevity. It's a movie, and if you don't love it that's okay. I just don't like Goldman's wet blanket approach.

Buenos Tardis   

Flickr     Letterboxd

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

I saw this movie as one of the strangest double features in the theater.  This was first, followed immediately by BASEketball.  The day got cheerier as we went on.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

No. Nobody does.

I could not have said it better myself, dead on.

Thumbs up Thumbs down