Re: Texters and Shushers

Oh you "texting" luddites. I'm amazed. Really? It's 2013!!?? And you make *calls*, with a measurable frequency? Wow.

Wow!

And no, I am definitely *not* under 21.

The main use for my "phone", by unit of time?

ABSOLUTE top: Podcast streamer and Audiobook listener.
After that comes email and skype, and then twitter/facebook/googling.
After that comes photography, video capture and editing.
After that comes managing the audio streaming in my house via SqueezeBox controller.
After that comes code development (yes, on the phone), remote desktoping into my home system when out.
After that comes painting / sketching.
After that comes "other"
And then... comes making a phonecall.
And last.... comes sending an actual oldschool "SMS" text message.

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap (2013-08-13 03:28:58)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We don't all live on Elysium.

MasterZap wrote:

Oh you "texting" luddites. I'm amazed. Really? It's 2013!!?? And you make *calls*, with a measurable frequency? Wow.

Wow!

After that comes managing the audio streaming in my house via SqueezeBox controller.
After that comes code development (yes, on the phone), remote desktoping into my home system when out.
After that comes "other"

/Z

Ummmmmm....that is awesome for you and all other people who can afford a phone (because that is what it is, remember, put any word or letter before it you like, it's still a phone) that can do all these wonderful things but I have one with an mp3 player and a radio. That's it. And I have an actual mp3 player and radio that I use instead of it, so texting and (occasional) phonecalls it is. I use my laptop for Skype/Google Hangouts/broswing/watching/downloading and I got a tablet for Christmas that can do most of those things too, so, you see, I don't need (nor even want) a fancy smartphone.

'Texting luddites'....pffffft.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

But it is NOT a phone. It's a pocket computer. It happens to have a chip that connects to the mobile phone network, and an app that happens to be able to interface that in such a way to make "phone calls".

But it is just stupid to actually call it a "phone". We just do it out of habit/convenience. It most certainly actually *isn't* one.

My last phone ran Linux. No not just a tiny linux *kernel* like both iPhonies and Androids do, actual linux. To the point of being able to download any Linux app sourcecode, and compile and run it on the phone.

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap (2013-08-13 03:57:11)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

We don't all live on Elysium.

Haha. smile

But sort of - you do. It's just that you are using your pocket med-pod for storing your golf clubs.

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Um, no I don't.  I can't afford a smartphone.  Maybe someday.

MasterZap wrote:

But it is NOT a phone. It's a pocket computer. It happens to have a chip that connects to the mobile phone network, and an app that happens to be able to interface that in such a way to make "phone calls".

But it is just stupid to actually call it a "phone". We just do it out of habit/convenience. It most certainly actually *isn't* one.

It makes phonecalls and sends texts to other phones, therefore it is a phone.

My point was more the fact that you were seemingly talking down to people who aren't as 'cool' as you for owning a 'pocket computer' whereas the fact is, some of us don't actually give a shit about that stuff and need a mobile phone for emergencies.

Last edited by Jimmy B (2013-08-13 04:00:29)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I may or may not be under the age of 21 and I only use my phone for texting, the odd phone call, and as an alarm clock. I have other devices to satisfy most other technological needs.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wasn't aware it was even possible to buy a non-smartphone in 2013...!?

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doesn't help that almost every smartphone I've used has awful call-quality and is shitty as a cell-phone.
Those $20 Go-phones you can buy at any convenience store beat the shit out of an i-phone when it comes to actually, you know, calling up and talking to human beings, instead of updating your twitter feed.

That being said, I do use my phone a lot to check email and the like, but not super often, and I certainly wouldn't look down on people for not trying to be connected every waking fucking moment

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-08-13 04:10:04)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MasterZap wrote:

Beats me.  I bought mine in 2006.

Trey wrote:
MasterZap wrote:

Beats me.  I bought mine in 2006.

Yeah, I've had my phone for a while too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MasterZap wrote:

Wow!

After that comes "other"

/Z

Uh, okay. All of those are shitty things to do in a movie theater, too.

EDIT: Well, except the podcast/audiobook thing. Sure, go nuts.

Last edited by Dorkman (2013-08-13 04:21:38)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

MasterZap wrote:

/Z

Bought mine in 2010, so not sure about now.

Regardless, I don't have a data plan and have no need for it either.

I don't need a "pocket computer." I have a full size one, with a keyboard, and video card and speakers and such.

Also, it's great to have a "pocket computer" but what about all the people who do not? My parents do not, my grandfather does not, my aunt does not, and my wife does not. Not sure what the need is there if my family and I function perfectly fine without it  hmm

Also, I pretty much agree with Trey in the podcast. Movies are different but the experience of going to the theater, of just watching the movie, without worrying about anything else, is really the last appeal of a movie. Its a place where my wife and I can have two hours without the kids, without worrying about them and just destress. Last movie I saw was "Into Darkness" and was totally engaged in the movie experience, from 3D elements, to the sound and everything.

I didn't use my phone to "check in" or update any feed. I just watched a movie. Even after, I didn't do those things. I talked to my wife.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I will also point out, maybe I'm just lucky, but the theater I've gone to for the last 10 years NEVER has any problems with people talking or using their phones. It's a nicer theater with good seats and consistently good projection, which is why I always make a point of going there. They explicitly have ads before the movie state that you will get kicked out if you text, and the ushers actually come out before the movie starts and make a point of reiterating this, and telling everyone in the audience to come and get them if someone is being impolite.

If more theaters did this kind of due diligence I bet you attendance wouldn't be dropping the way it has.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some people just have no concept of phone etiquette. I also don't believe it has anything to do with having a "right to be connected", it's selfishness, either knowing or oblivious.

The best solution is embarassment. Switch off the film, turn up the lights, and have an usher walk up to the perpetrator and ask them to stop, then resume the film only when they've stopped. I bet that person wouldn't ever do it again. Because clearly, others have let them carry on with being a selfish arsehole for much of their life already.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Don't get me wrong guys. I'm not advocating doing ANY of the above in a MOVIE THEATRE. That's not what I am reacting to. I punch people who do myself (and as said, our local theatre frowns quite heavily on it).

The *issue* I am having is the surprise at this (in my perhaps biased Swedish eyes - we are in the top 3 internet using populations in the world) kinda "unconnected" attitude, that is almost held as some kind of hipster "I use my phones to make calls" attitude? I just find it odd... since we ALL met as "netizens", it .. .just kinda surprises me. People who use SMS texting with any frequency.. is just... odd... to me.

That is all... mkay?

Don't... everybody sleep with their network connected phone under their pillow to stream your Spotify "sleep gently" playlist, or the latest DownInFr^H^H^H^H^H^HWAYDM podcast!?!?

No?

Nobody!?

Okay I guess I am wierd then..... wink

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap (2013-08-13 11:46:38)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In Britain, they have "Quiet" carriages on National Rail, and the big shitstorm is that everyone ignores that and carries on talking, telling their frigg'n life stories on the phone and to everyone on the carriage.

So, likewise, you can have cinema screenings designated 'QUIET' but until an enforcement policy is decided on that doesn't infringe civil liberties, it's going to be ignored by the 5% of assholes that spoil it for everyone else.

Cinemas need to decide which side their bread is buttered on.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Living outside a major city I love the idea of adults only screenings.  Most of the time I don't go see movies because i don't want to deal with the unsupervised teenagers and irresponsible parents.  It used to be I could go to a later showing and it was ok, but less and less is that the case.  My fear is if this phone usage/ 2nd screen thing happens it will just be the thing which will make me even less likely to go to the theater.  Here we're dealing with an effective monopoly of the theaters by Carmike (they bought the other local chain recently) so there aren't really any options.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think Brian mentioned something like this during the episode, but, as a hard-liner against phones in theatres, there's a whole range of excuses/reasons someone could give for causing a disturbance that I would accept without complaint. Once, at a screening of Avatar, this person in front of me had her phone go off, and much to my annoyance, she proceeded to whip out her phone and respond via text message right there in her seat. When she hit "Send" her brightly lit phone made the sent-message sound—Laaaa-liiing!—and she swiftly put it back in her bag. All that probably took around 15 seconds. But then she turned around to us and whispered exactly these words: "I'm so sorry about that. I'm a doctor, and that was my hospital alerting me about a patient."

To which I said, "I understand. It's cool." Now maybe it was bullshit and she was really a temp at Dunder Mifflin who was texting her idiot friend about something trivial and she was too lazy to exit the theater to use her phone... But, you know, I'm just sayin' that I happily give a big fat pass to anyone who has a non-trivial excuse, provided the disturbance is brief and isolated. If someone's a pediatric surgeon who is being alerted about the condition of an 8 year-old who is seriously ill (for example), well then okay. I'd prefer you left the theater, but, you know, it's cool. So, yeah. You moviegoers whose occupations literally involve life-and-death situations for which you must always be on-call, y'all can leave your ringers on. (Conversely, if you're merely a commodities broker who just wants to keep tabs on NASDAQ while you watch Pain & Gain with your trophy wife, fuck you. Put the phone away.) I'd prefer vibrate, but if you actually are that hypothetical 8 year-old's surgeon, or something along those lines, I'm not mad at ya. I recognize that there truly are people who have jobs where the stakes so high that there's significant liabilities to turning off their phone even for a couple of hours. It made a huge difference, of course, that the (lady who claimed to be a) doctor immediately turned around, explained, and apologized.

Last edited by Rob (2013-08-13 19:07:55)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Regarding Trader Joe's. Blocking asiles may be part of it, but I'd guess most of it is so customers can't walk in, look at something, decide exactly what they want, then go online and order it from Amazon. Using local stores as a "showroom" is a big issue with retailers.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, at the time I had the conversation it was just the aisle thing - Amazon wasn't the seller-of-all-things yet.  But I don't doubt the "showroom" problem is a thing now.

Rob wrote:

It made a huge difference, of course, that the (lady who claimed to be a) doctor immediately turned around, explained, and apologized.

I've been to a screening where  a volunteer firefighter/paramedic guy stood up right before the show and announced to everyone around him, "Hey I have a job where lives depend on being able to get in touch with me. And I'm on call tonight. My phone might go off and I'll have to get up and go. If anyone has a problem with that I'll leave before the movie starts." When no one objected, "Thanks for understanding!" And he sat back down.

Always struck me as wonderfully professional and courteous.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

People do far worse things in movie theaters than texting.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We used to have special theaters for that...

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down