Re: Texters and Shushers

Weird, I had never heard of Shailene Woodley before, but since she got cast in The Fault In Our Stars I'm seeing her everywhere, I mean she was on the damn Daily Show for the gods sake. It's weird how that works.

My movies: ZangrethorDigital.ca
Let's plays: youtube.com/bigdamnartist
Other movie thing I do: youtube.com/BullskitComedy

Re: Texters and Shushers

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Weird, I had never heard of Shailene Woodley before, but since she got cast in The Fault In Our Stars I'm seeing her everywhere, I mean she was on the damn Daily Show for the gods sake. It's weird how that works.

Her breakout role was in that George Clooney movie The Descendants. Since then she's been cast in every damn thing. She was supposed to play MJ in the next Spider-Man movie until the role was cut.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Twitter | Tumblr, for links to all my writing.

Re: Texters and Shushers

She was the lead in the TV show The Secret Life Of The American Teenager which just finished its five season run in June.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Texters and Shushers

Where did the "poster" image come from for this episode? It's great.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Texters and Shushers

Thanks. *shrug* Threw it together. It's a Photoshop.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Texters and Shushers

People who text/use their phones (especially answering them and carry on conversations) should be sent to Gitmo for "re-education".

Last edited by Mr. Pointy (2013-08-20 05:32:37)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Texters and Shushers

All this time I was blaming the skyscrapers for my lack of signal in Trader Joe's. Bastards.

Everybody, get up. It's time to slam now. We got a real jam going down. Welcome to the Space Jam. Here's your chance. Do your dance. At the Space Jam. Alright?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Texters and Shushers

Not totally germane, but on the topic of jamming cell phones imagine this scenario: you're a theater and you jam the cell phones - lots of people have weather apps and whatnot - and there is a terrible storm just south of the theater and the national weather service issues a warning. Nobody received these mobile warnings because you jammed them AND you didn't make an announcement over a loudspeaker.

The theater is probably liable for a negligent tort for any weather related accident that a patron suffers. And a big payout.

That kind of scenario is a good reason to not bother jamming. Why even open yourself up to it?

Everybody, get up. It's time to slam now. We got a real jam going down. Welcome to the Space Jam. Here's your chance. Do your dance. At the Space Jam. Alright?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Texters and Shushers

iJim wrote:

Not totally germane, but on the topic of jamming cell phones imagine this scenario: you're a theater and you jam the cell phones - lots of people have weather apps and whatnot - and there is a terrible storm just south of the theater and the national weather service issues a warning. Nobody received these mobile warnings because you jammed them AND you didn't make an announcement over a loudspeaker.

The theater is probably liable for a negligent tort for any weather related accident that a patron suffers. And a big payout.

That kind of scenario is a good reason to not bother jamming. Why even open yourself up to it?

The only problem I see is that they wouldn't announce the bad weather. Bad weather is kind of like gossip too. Not like people are going to run around keeping it a secret.

I mean, there is still the radio and TV for weather reporting too. It's not like cell phones are the only means of communication.

I suppose it's possible but I find it a bit implausible.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Texters and Shushers

This case book has me convinced that nothing is implausible. It's a matter of waiting for the right set of circumstances. And blocking cell phone signals seems like a great way to open yourself up to some sort of negligence suit.

But fair enough. Just thought it was interesting.

Everybody, get up. It's time to slam now. We got a real jam going down. Welcome to the Space Jam. Here's your chance. Do your dance. At the Space Jam. Alright?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Texters and Shushers

Well, you have a fair point and it is an interesting thought experiment. However, given the contingency plans the company I work for has in place for things that are implausible, I would say that many companies have similar polices.

However, almost everything nowadays is open to suit so it is possible smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

87

Re: Texters and Shushers

I think the not making any kind of announcement part seems more of an aggravating factor than the signal jamming. Cell reception is often sporadic in certain buildings and in large cities, so they could conceivably argue that it's not an absolute given that the patrons would have had a signal anyway—an argument that gets further bolstered by the fact that there was indeed a terrible storm outside. But the not making an announcement when there's a presumably dangerous storm outside, that's clearly negligent if the theater's management knows for a fact that the area's weather has reached emergency levels.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Texters and Shushers

Okay, this whole issue just leveled up big time. Alex Billington, blogger for firstshowing.net, CALLED 911 on a dude who was on his phone in a TIFF screening today. And he's super-serious about this too. He's on Twitter and Facebook acting like he's some kind of hero for "elevating the issue" of movie texters. He's saying that change wasn't going to come until someone took the issue as seriously as he did. He's acting like a martyr for the cause.

Fuck Alex Billington. He makes all of us look like lunatics with no sense of humor about ourselves. He's not only dragging down public perception of film buffs/critics, he's forever sullied the reputations of every internet journalist looking for a press pass to a film festival, especially TIFF. He's pathetic, and I hope he's banned from future film events for this reckless, inappropriate behavior. Fuck. Alex. Billington.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Twitter | Tumblr, for links to all my writing.

Re: Texters and Shushers

Did he make the 911 call from inside the theater?

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Texters and Shushers

It's unclear. It would be hilarious if he did, though. He did mention in a tweet that he had to leave the film early, so either he left to make the call or he was forced to leave after making it. He did go to TIFF administrators after he called, and they said that it's in their rules that you have the right to use your phone in a screening.

And in this case, I get that. A major part of any film festival is getting people to buy your movie, so if a buyer wants to be texting his employers about the movie they're planning on getting the rights to, too bad for the blogger who just wanted an early pass to a screening.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Twitter | Tumblr, for links to all my writing.

91

Re: Texters and Shushers

He does appear to be gloating on Twitter. Obviously, when you're upset about someone else's outrageous behavior, the one thing you shouldn't do is react by engaging in even worse outrageous behavior yourself. His tweets indicate that 1) he doesn't seem to understand just how inane his behavior was, and 2) he doesn't know what 911 is actually for. (My understanding is that 911 call centers deal with frivolous "emergency" calls and/or false alarms every day, so the people implying that he put lives in danger are maybe being a tad melodramatic. I saw a tweet where he admits that the dispatcher simply laughed at him, and it doesn't appear that any emergency personnel were re-directed because of the call. None of that makes his actions any less silly, of course. It just means that he's one of many stupid people who call 911 each day to report their "emergencies.")

Btw, how many people here had heard of this guy before now? I actually had not. But here he is getting me to click onto his website when yesterday I'd never heard of him. He could have simply asked the guy politely if he could please put away the device, but he... called 911? This smells like someone trying to boost his profile by any means necessary.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Texters and Shushers

I seriously hope he gets a fine for misuse of emergency services or something like that. It is no different than the guy who called 911 because Subway put the wrong condiments on his sandwich, or something like that.

It really is incredibly stupid way to make your point, and like Doc said, it removes the legitimacy of the movement to ban cell phone use in movies.

I wouldn't think it would be that bad, as piracy concerns are still a thing, but apparently it is such that in order to make the point, you have to call 911?

I don't understand... hmm

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

93

Re: Texters and Shushers

The glass-half-full spin on it would be that the rest of us now look eminently reasonable!

Seriously though, I feel like sometimes someone does something that's so ridiculous, so idiosyncratic and unrepresentative of everyone else in that group, that reasonable people just kind of recognize it as a wacky, one-off event. What Billington did is noteworthy precisely because it's so anomalous. It'd be different if there were a whole rash of bloggers and/or anti-phones-in-theaters people doing the same thing. That would be a pattern. This is one douchebag who did an astoundingly silly thing this one time. They shouldn't hold this guy against us anymore than they should hold John Wilkes Booth against all actors.

...That said, they'll probably hold this guy against us. Damn.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Texters and Shushers

Here's a fun twist: Alex Billington has previously been in movie blog news for live-tweeting during a theatrical screening of CRANK 2.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Texters and Shushers

You know, it's not super hard to jam nearby cell-phone signals. I have a friend who cooked up his laptop so it would trick nearby phones into thinking it was a cell tower and forward all their calls through it, wouldn't be a stretch to have it drop signal. I haven't looked, but I'd be surprised if there weren't solutions like this all over the web. Maybe it's time we take the fight to them.

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-09-11 05:28:32)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Texters and Shushers

I wonder if you could mimic the same with a smart phone?

http://t.qkme.me/3r542k.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Texters and Shushers

Dorkman wrote:

Here's a fun twist: Alex Billington has previously been in movie blog news for live-tweeting during a theatrical screening of CRANK 2.

If I'm reading this correctly, this guy was joining a bunch of comedians who were ALSO live tweeting during the entire show, and the only reason it's such a world ending travesty that Alex was doing it is because he's a film critic not a comedian? So they proceed to single this guy out and tear him to SHREDS, but not even a single word for the comedians who were also live tweeting through the entire thing??

Um....WTF???

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-09-11 06:12:18)

My movies: ZangrethorDigital.ca
Let's plays: youtube.com/bigdamnartist
Other movie thing I do: youtube.com/BullskitComedy

Re: Texters and Shushers

BigDamnArtist wrote:
Dorkman wrote:

Here's a fun twist: Alex Billington has previously been in movie blog news for live-tweeting during a theatrical screening of CRANK 2.

If I'm reading this correctly, this guy was joining a bunch of comedians who were ALSO live tweeting during the entire show, and the only reason it's such a world ending travesty that Alex was doing it is because he's a film critic not a comedian? So they proceed to single this guy out and tear him to SHREDS, but not even a single word for the comedians who were also live tweeting through the entire thing??

Um....WTF???

He's a film blogger. He represents the rest of us, so he should know better. Alex Billington is a child. There was also the time he tried to blackmail Universal into inviting him to a secret Scott Pilgrim screening by threatening to reveal when and where it was taking place.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Twitter | Tumblr, for links to all my writing.

Re: Texters and Shushers

Oh Lord.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

100

Re: Texters and Shushers

Darth Praxus wrote:

Oh Lord.

CONSUME CONSUME WE ARE DISNEY RESISTANCE IS FUTILE