Topic: WORST match of character and actor?

James Franco comes to mind. Not for all of his roles, but not for just one.

Last edited by Sam F (2013-09-22 04:37:19)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: WORST match of character and actor?

George Clooney as Batman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:

James Franco comes to mind. Not for all of his roles, but not for just one.

Oh gods, just make the bad people stop calling him Oz, I- OH- UGH-, it's literally physically painful. UUUUHAAAHGGGH.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-09-22 09:35:09)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Denise Richards as nuclear scientist in The World is Not Enough.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jq5MTd0aaps/UOlZf6_oYjI/AAAAAAAAdr4/htM6Cu0tKtU/s1600/Denise+Richards+as+Christmas+Jones.jpg

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

I'll raise you:

Tara Reid as archaeologist and museum curator in "Alone In The Dark".

http://images.quickblogcast.com/40418-37171/a_aloneindark.jpg

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Two painfully obvious examples come from the Star Wars prequels:
Jake Lloyd as Anakin Skywalker (IIRC, George Lucas wanted a "real kid" who's not "too good" big_smile )
Sam Jackson as Mace Windu (it should've been Morgan Freeman)

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

George Lazenby as James Bond. Nothing else even comes close.

Marty J wrote:

Two painfully obvious examples come from the Star Wars prequels:
Jake Lloyd as Anakin Skywalker (IIRC, George Lucas wanted a "real kid" who's not "too good" big_smile )

Good one. I remember the DVD special feature about the extensive selection process. That's who you cast after sifting through thousands of interviews!?! What were the others like?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I remember the DVD special feature about the extensive selection process. That's who you cast after sifting through thousands of interviews!?! What were the others like?

Haley Joel Osment was the right age. Why not him, George? Why the fuck not?

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Marty J wrote:

I remember the DVD special feature about the extensive selection process. That's who you cast after sifting through thousands of interviews!?! What were the others like?

Haley Joel Osment was the right age. Why not him, George? Why the fuck not?

Yep. The team from Looper had no trouble finding a capable kid actor either. Had Lucas' casting team just abducted a random kid off the street, the chances that he would have been a worse actor than Jake Lloyd would have been 725 to 1.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.cardhunters.com/media/04/a20792913b976309137e_m.JPG

And Josh Hartnett as a kid from Yorkshire in Blow Dry......

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker. A role for a young actor to die for, the stuff literally of which legends are made, and Lucas casts a good looking kid who can't even play AWKWARD convincingly.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Ewing wrote:

George Lazenby as James Bond. Nothing else even comes close.

I don't think he was nearly as bad as Moore. Moore always seemed to be on the edge of breaking into a Laugh-In bikini dance.

While this isn't close to being the worst actor/character matchup, I really dislike a lot of the casting in Harry Potter. Especially Michael Gambon and Richard Harris. They missed the mark on Dumbledore twice. Granted, a lot of it is the direction given to the actors - some of his stage direction inherently made it difficult to project cool/calm/collected. I'm remembering specifically a moment in Goblet of Fire when they have Dumbledore running around the room like a chicken with his head chopped off. That's more on the director than the actor.

But I never felt that "this is the most powerful and intelligent wizard in the world" while watching Dumbledore. Just an old dude who kinda freaks out easily.

And, of course, Ben Affleck as Batman is certainly the worst sounding match-up in recent memory. I swear. I say that and it still sounds like a joke.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker. A role for a young actor to die for, the stuff literally of which legends are made, and Lucas casts a good looking kid who can't even play AWKWARD convincingly.

True, but it wouldn't have mattered if Lucas had cast the world's greatest actor. The prequels did have some kickass actors (Neeson, MacGregor, Portman, Jackson, et al) - all of whom have noteworthy credentials, but Lucas' direction flattened them all out to monotone line-readings.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

True, but it wouldn't have mattered if Lucas had cast the world's greatest actor. The prequels did have some kickass actors (Neeson, MacGregor, Portman, Jackson, et al) - all of whom have noteworthy credentials, but Lucas' direction flattened them all out to monotone line-readings.

That's just another example of bad casting.  George Lucas as the director of the Star Wars prequels.  I wonder who was responsible for that decision.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down