Topic: Tom Clancy passes

Just saw in the news that this prolithic novelist has died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24372224

He wrote some great novels, provided some fodder for a few good movies and even some good games too.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Tom Clancy passes

I've only ever read Red October, and thought the film was far superior; Clancy seemed way too obsessed with showing off all the research he'd done rather than just telling the story. Is that a problem with the rest of his works, too, to anyone who's in the know, or do they get better?

Last edited by Abbie (2013-10-02 21:09:16)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Aww...

Darth Praxus wrote:

I've only ever read Red October, and thought the film was far superior

I didn't exactly hate the book, but I have to agree that the movie surpassed it.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tom Clancy is definitely an acquired taste because he is so research oriented. He was among the most connected authors in the business, often having military intelligence questioning if they had a leak because he was so detailed and meticulous.

I recently started reading "Dead or Alive" and it is a little less technical, and more character oriented. However, if you don't enjoy military and geographical tech speak, Clancy may not be for you.

He will be missed...

sad_tennant

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down