Topic: Mis-advertised movies

EDIT: Oh goddammit. I meant to put this in off-topic. Can it be moved, or should I just commit seppuku to atone for my sin?

So a few months back I was in the mood for a really stupid comedy — you know the kind, something on the Farrelly-Apatow spectrum. Based on the trailer, I decided to rent "Adventureland," cause it seemed like just what I was looking for.

And whaddya know, it turned out to be a really good little coming-of-age story. It's got funny bits, sure, but not like jokey funny. It's sweet and smart, and kinda heartbreaking in parts, and it's got the best damn end-credits song ever.

But I swear, after seeing the movie, the trailer looks like one of those gag trailers where "Rosemary's Baby" is made to look like the feel-good family comedy of the Christmas season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtVnRAY5LQE

I'm not gonna pull a Teague here and end with a leading question, but … okay, what the heck. Can you guys think of some other examples out there of movies that were just totally mis-advertised? It's not like a quiz or anything. I was just thinking about it, and while I know there are probably tons of other instances like that, I'm drawing a blank on 'em right now.

Last edited by Jeffery Harrell (2010-05-21 01:53:23)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Mis-advertised movies

I loved Adventureland.

And FUCKING INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, to answer your question.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh yeah! That's a really good example. I ignored it when it was in theaters 'cause I thought it was Tarantino being Tarantino, but watching it at home I found it to be a very different film from what I expected.

I think that movie worked for me despite Tarantino, but that's another conversation.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

hate hate hate hate hate hate hate

hate hate

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wait, you're saying you hate a movie that others have generally liked, and some even loved?

Now you know how I feel about 300, bitch.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, yeah. At least 300's trailer depicts awesome, unending comic book violence, and 300 is a movie of awesome, unending comic book violence.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Unending" is right. I swear, I actually felt myself age during that one.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I felt that way about Inglourious Basterds.

I think we're alone in this thread. *puts on some Marvin Gaye*

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Took you long enough to notice. I've been lounging on this polar-bear-skin rug in front of a fire for hours now.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

my god

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cham-paggen?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I do very much like champagne.

Wait, stop it. I am very uncomfortable with homosexual behavior.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Buncha god damn queers.  If you need me, I'll be in the manly thread with Dorkman and Doty.  Later, cocksuckers.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Why are you fighting this Teague? You know you want it.

And the only reason that Teague hates Inglorious Basterds, is he can't stand to see all his brothers being slaughtered by the filthy American pigs.

(Yeah I called you Nazi, wat up?)

As much as I hate to do this, I suppose I should grad this thread back to some form of on topicness.

Haven't seen Adventureland, but sounds like I should. Haven't seen 300, probably should in readiness for Sun. though. And i really liked Inglorious Basterds, even though the Ad Campaign was misleading, I liked what I got even more (And no I am not a Taratino fanboy, I legitimately liked the movie.)

I can't think of any trailers recently that have been misleading, but if I think of any this is where I'll come.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

On topic, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Be Kind Rewind, but I never saw that.  For me, the biggest disparity between trailer and movie was Clash of the Titans.  What I thought I was going to get was an awesome, blood and guts, sandles and swordplay 2010 update of the original, and instead what I got was Pussious and his merry band of redshirts being boring and stupid and raping mythology.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh wow, Be kind Rewind, that was one that got me. I mean that in a really good way. It was advertised as this sort of comedy, turn your brain off kinda flick (from what i remember at least). But then it actually turned into this sorta decent drama/comedy/heart warming thing. It was interesting.

Clash...hmm...whenever I start talking about Clash I usually get myself in trouble. So I'll just say I actually liked Clash.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The Never Ending Story

i mean it's in the title!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not exactly a mis-advertised movie, but American Graffiti turned out to be a much different movie from the way I'd seen it described. Much funnier and more interesting—much less like Happy Days or Porky's—than I thought it was going to be. Really a great film.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Burn After Reading

Not. Even. Remotely. Funny. 

Actually it's a rather sad a pathetic story, which is all well and good, so long as your trailer doesn't make it look like an action / comedy.  I actually dozed off somewhere near the end and haven't had the least bit of interest in going back to see what I missed.

Oh man, Burn After Reading still confuses the shit outta me. And I mean really the only part of it I remember is Brad Pitt getting a hole blown through his head, so you know that kinda tells you something.

Just going from what the guys said in the commentary, I would assume Fight Club had a decently misleading advertisement.

ZangrethorDigital.ca